Login Register
North East Buses Forum The Bygone Era Bus Operators
Can you help a book?
Hello, first time poster here.

My name is Paul Williams and I have written a couple of books on transport - one on Manchester buses and one on North West buses. But from 1982 to 1985 I lived in Newcastle and I took many photos of Tyneside transport that you can now find on Flickr (road, rail and Metro).

Amberley Publishing have now asked me to write a photo album with a selection of my North East photos from that time, and it will be published under the title Tyneside Road and Rail Services (no, not my favourite title either, but hey ho) in early 2018.

The text is going well and photo selection is going well - but I need your help. at the time I didn't photograph absolutely everything I want to feature in the book and I'm looking for offers to contribute to a list of wants, which is below.

I can't offer payment or a free book if you offer a photo or even if it's used: all author and photographer royalties are going to the Museum of Transport Greater Manchester*. But I'll add the name of anyone who is able to contribute a photo to the book acknowledgements; and if you're able to contribute a few to my list, I'm sure a book can be arranged.

We need to be very picky on quality - this is a glossy book and I can only accept photos that are pin-sharp and well-lit, and in colour (probably a slide). So please don't be offended if I can't use a pic. Also all photos must have been taken in the period 1982 (or so) to 1986 (or so).

So, here's the current list of wants:

1. Shieldsman ferry in service
  2. One of the United Auto Lodekka trainers that was kept in cream and red livery
  3. The United VR that was in 'Chester le Street 1000' blue and silver for a while
  4. A TWPTE Willowbrook-bodied Atlantean allocated to Sunderland
  5. Any good photo of construction taking place on the Metro (not the Sunderland or Airport extensions, it needs to be the initial phases)
  6. A Northern Panther in late life just before withdrawal
  7. A good photo taken inside the old Eldon Square bus station - tricky with slide film but possible!
  8. A BR DMU on the east coast main line north of Newcastle; or at Heaton depot
I'll update the list as I come across any gaps. If you can help, please reply below or mail me on paul [at] jp4712.plus.com.

Thanks!

Paul

* yes I know Manchester is a strange beneficiary of the royalties, but it is the transport charity that I support and it's where my own vintage bus is kept.

PS just to show the kind of thing I mean, here are a couple of shots that I took that might be included.

[Image: https://flic.kr/p/dGnV1G]

[Image: https://flic.kr/p/dKEhdM]

[Image: https://flic.kr/p/dGpFpT]
I don't have any photos from that period at all, however there has been discussion about the VR in the anniversary livery elsewhere on the forum.

I haven't checked or looked for it, but a bunch would say it was in this part of the forum, or one in the off-topic bus chat, nostalgia thread.
If I remember right, there was a photo of the VR included in the conversation. Obviously you won't be able to use it without the copyright owners permission, but if that photo is linked to a flickr page, you may be well on your way to getting that permission!

Good luck with your quest and the book! It's an era close to my heart and a book I will be interested to buy.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'