Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2017

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (18) Previous 110 11 1218 Next
mb134

17 Nov 2017, 10:44 am #201
(17 Nov 2017, 5:18 am)Dan As an enthusiast; I'd agree that a Streetlite is a downgrade compared to a Citaro (I personally think the Mercs are one of the best buys since the Volvo B10BLEs, even if they are more expensive to run and very expensive to maintain), but from a passenger perspective, there's probably not a great deal of difference other than the fact we can assume USB charging points would be made available (bringing this service up to standard with most other routes, as it currently lacks this feature).

(17 Nov 2017, 8:33 am)Andreos1 From a financial perspective (particularly the short term one), unfortunately there's only one winner.

I think we all know that Streetlites are cheaper to buy initially, run and to an extent maintain, than the current heavyweight vehicles available. Indeed, the Government isn't going to pay companies to operate Citaros and B8RLEs.

However my concern is that, as we've seen with multiple Arriva examples, operators are thinking short term a bit too much. Obviously, we have no evidence to base the life expectancy of a Streetlite on, but I think it fair to assume in majority of cases that it will be nowhere near as long as the vehicles they're replacing. I know it may not be the case in this instance, going back to the point Dan made about the Citaros probably not being needed on this route initially, but in quite a few cases across both companies, they have been allocated to routes where a heavyweight vehicle would probably be more suited. It also begs the question, if Stagecarriage can buy heavyweight vehicles when required, why can't 2 of the main North East operators?

Obviously, my main experience with Streetlites are with First in Aberdeen. All of which are allocated to inner-city routes, and yet at just 3 and a half years old, there are a number that feel shockingly bad to travel on. I boarded one last night, and as it dropped me off home, an alarm was ringing in the cab. About an hour later, by chance I caught it home from Morrisons and the same alarm was ringing, this time for pretty much the duration of the journey. As I got off, the driver switched it off, and then it completely failed to start up on first time of asking. Second time was alright, though it was evident something wasn't quite right.
mb134
17 Nov 2017, 10:44 am #201

(17 Nov 2017, 5:18 am)Dan As an enthusiast; I'd agree that a Streetlite is a downgrade compared to a Citaro (I personally think the Mercs are one of the best buys since the Volvo B10BLEs, even if they are more expensive to run and very expensive to maintain), but from a passenger perspective, there's probably not a great deal of difference other than the fact we can assume USB charging points would be made available (bringing this service up to standard with most other routes, as it currently lacks this feature).

(17 Nov 2017, 8:33 am)Andreos1 From a financial perspective (particularly the short term one), unfortunately there's only one winner.

I think we all know that Streetlites are cheaper to buy initially, run and to an extent maintain, than the current heavyweight vehicles available. Indeed, the Government isn't going to pay companies to operate Citaros and B8RLEs.

However my concern is that, as we've seen with multiple Arriva examples, operators are thinking short term a bit too much. Obviously, we have no evidence to base the life expectancy of a Streetlite on, but I think it fair to assume in majority of cases that it will be nowhere near as long as the vehicles they're replacing. I know it may not be the case in this instance, going back to the point Dan made about the Citaros probably not being needed on this route initially, but in quite a few cases across both companies, they have been allocated to routes where a heavyweight vehicle would probably be more suited. It also begs the question, if Stagecarriage can buy heavyweight vehicles when required, why can't 2 of the main North East operators?

Obviously, my main experience with Streetlites are with First in Aberdeen. All of which are allocated to inner-city routes, and yet at just 3 and a half years old, there are a number that feel shockingly bad to travel on. I boarded one last night, and as it dropped me off home, an alarm was ringing in the cab. About an hour later, by chance I caught it home from Morrisons and the same alarm was ringing, this time for pretty much the duration of the journey. As I got off, the driver switched it off, and then it completely failed to start up on first time of asking. Second time was alright, though it was evident something wasn't quite right.

Andreos1

17 Nov 2017, 12:03 pm #202
(17 Nov 2017, 10:44 am)mb134 I think we all know that Streetlites are cheaper to buy initially, run and to an extent maintain, than the current heavyweight vehicles available. Indeed, the Government isn't going to pay companies to operate Citaros and B8RLEs.

This demo example arrived in to Houghton just after 10 this morning if anyone is trying to track it down.

What I noticed on this one, was the seating. Appreciate GNE may look at alternatives, but dear me...

I also started to think about this particular vehicle and it's maintenance. Granted fitters are required to work and maintain a specific standard, but if each depot within a group has its own quirks, imagine how many quirks depots within multiple groups have.

Will Wright (or whoever is maintaining the vehicle between trials) be able to fix and iron out these depot quirks, or will it reflect on the performance?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Nov 2017, 12:03 pm #202

(17 Nov 2017, 10:44 am)mb134 I think we all know that Streetlites are cheaper to buy initially, run and to an extent maintain, than the current heavyweight vehicles available. Indeed, the Government isn't going to pay companies to operate Citaros and B8RLEs.

This demo example arrived in to Houghton just after 10 this morning if anyone is trying to track it down.

What I noticed on this one, was the seating. Appreciate GNE may look at alternatives, but dear me...

I also started to think about this particular vehicle and it's maintenance. Granted fitters are required to work and maintain a specific standard, but if each depot within a group has its own quirks, imagine how many quirks depots within multiple groups have.

Will Wright (or whoever is maintaining the vehicle between trials) be able to fix and iron out these depot quirks, or will it reflect on the performance?

Ds1197

17 Nov 2017, 3:22 pm #203
Some of the red arrows buses have had the tagline "Up to every 10 minutes" replaced with "Fast & Frequent links into the heart of the city" also have had the square variet of the Go North East logo appiled on the top deck
Ds1197
17 Nov 2017, 3:22 pm #203

Some of the red arrows buses have had the tagline "Up to every 10 minutes" replaced with "Fast & Frequent links into the heart of the city" also have had the square variet of the Go North East logo appiled on the top deck

Jamie M

Unregistered

17 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm #204
A full bus of people just got dumped off 3965 at gateshead on a busy trip to chester. A lot of confusion

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
17 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm #204

A full bus of people just got dumped off 3965 at gateshead on a busy trip to chester. A lot of confusion

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

17 Nov 2017, 7:01 pm #205
5303 is branded now tynedale links
Citaro5326
17 Nov 2017, 7:01 pm #205

5303 is branded now tynedale links

V514DFT

17 Nov 2017, 7:22 pm #206
A bit late,been busy,4971 was taken out of service at 11.30 this morning due to a faulty ramp,6033 replaced it as i was on it when the swap occured,also 6033 smelled like it had been painted somewhere inside it (if not all of it)

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
17 Nov 2017, 7:22 pm #206

A bit late,been busy,4971 was taken out of service at 11.30 this morning due to a faulty ramp,6033 replaced it as i was on it when the swap occured,also 6033 smelled like it had been painted somewhere inside it (if not all of it)

Kind Regards
Tez

17 Nov 2017, 8:43 pm #207
When will 6044 be repainted?
EL1TE
17 Nov 2017, 8:43 pm #207

When will 6044 be repainted?

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Nov 2017, 9:03 pm #208
Next week, all being well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Dan
17 Nov 2017, 9:03 pm #208

Next week, all being well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

G-CPTN

17 Nov 2017, 9:36 pm #209
Which are the longest double deckers?
Some B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 seem to have a 'small' window (like the RMLs) - but are they the longest ones or shorter (because of the smaller window)?
Dennis Trident 2/Alexander Enviro 400 seems to have 7 windows all the same size.
G-CPTN
17 Nov 2017, 9:36 pm #209

Which are the longest double deckers?
Some B9TL/Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 seem to have a 'small' window (like the RMLs) - but are they the longest ones or shorter (because of the smaller window)?
Dennis Trident 2/Alexander Enviro 400 seems to have 7 windows all the same size.

mb134

17 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm #210
(17 Nov 2017, 9:36 pm)G-CPTN Which are the longest double deckers?

E500s would be longer than all. Same length (roughly) as a B10BLE iirc.

(Though out of those 2, I believe the E400 with 7 'full length' upstairs windows are longer than the B9TL)
Edited 17 Nov 2017, 10:01 pm by mb134.
mb134
17 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm #210

E500s would be longer than all. Same length (roughly) as a B10BLE iirc.

(Though out of those 2, I believe the E400 with 7 'full length' upstairs windows are longer than the B9TL)

G-CPTN

17 Nov 2017, 10:12 pm #211
(17 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm)mb134 E500s would be longer than all. Same length (roughly) as a B10BLE iirc.

Thanks.
G-CPTN
17 Nov 2017, 10:12 pm #211

(17 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm)mb134 E500s would be longer than all. Same length (roughly) as a B10BLE iirc.

Thanks.

17 Nov 2017, 11:01 pm #212

The B9TLs are around 10.4m,Stagecoachs & Arrivas Original E400s are 10.8m then Stagecoachs E400MMCs are 10.9m/Arriva`s MMCs are 10.3m
callum2015
17 Nov 2017, 11:01 pm #212

The B9TLs are around 10.4m,Stagecoachs & Arrivas Original E400s are 10.8m then Stagecoachs E400MMCs are 10.9m/Arriva`s MMCs are 10.3m

Malarkey

18 Nov 2017, 11:46 am #213
Anyone know what board the streetlite on the 4 is on today?
Malarkey
18 Nov 2017, 11:46 am #213

Anyone know what board the streetlite on the 4 is on today?

S813 FVK

18 Nov 2017, 5:29 pm #214
6147 has been retrimmed but has not been fitted with the extended luggage racks, yet. Not able to fit that bit into the schedule for now or was there an issue with the racks?
Edited 19 Nov 2017, 11:06 am by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
18 Nov 2017, 5:29 pm #214

6147 has been retrimmed but has not been fitted with the extended luggage racks, yet. Not able to fit that bit into the schedule for now or was there an issue with the racks?

G-CPTN

18 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm #215
(17 Nov 2017, 11:01 pm)callum2015 The B9TLs are around 10.4m,Stagecoachs & Arrivas Original E400s are 10.8m then Stagecoachs E400MMCs are 10.9m/Arriva`s MMCs are 10.3m

Thanks - a definitive and factual answer.
G-CPTN
18 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm #215

(17 Nov 2017, 11:01 pm)callum2015 The B9TLs are around 10.4m,Stagecoachs & Arrivas Original E400s are 10.8m then Stagecoachs E400MMCs are 10.9m/Arriva`s MMCs are 10.3m

Thanks - a definitive and factual answer.

19 Nov 2017, 9:58 am #216
Mercedes Citaro - 5303 looks good with its Tynedale Links branding!
thetravelman
19 Nov 2017, 9:58 am #216

Mercedes Citaro - 5303 looks good with its Tynedale Links branding!

Michael

19 Nov 2017, 10:02 am #217
(19 Nov 2017, 9:58 am)thetravelman Mercedes Citaro - 5303 looks good with its Tynedale Links branding!

5298 should arrive back next week, i think., so hopefully 5298 - 5302 are branded next week for the X84/X85.

Just spotted this on 3970's news:

Although originally intended to Riverside Depot for storage until the next Special Event following the end of the Sunderland Illuminations event, this vehicle has instead been retained at Deptford Depot where it is now classed as being "on loan". This vehicle is intended to cover for the "Prince Bishops" branded Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Max Micro-Hybrid vehicles which are off service to have an additional opening window installed at Saltmeadows Road Depot, providing better air ventilation following feedback received from customers.
Edited 19 Nov 2017, 10:09 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Nov 2017, 10:02 am #217

(19 Nov 2017, 9:58 am)thetravelman Mercedes Citaro - 5303 looks good with its Tynedale Links branding!

5298 should arrive back next week, i think., so hopefully 5298 - 5302 are branded next week for the X84/X85.

Although originally intended to Riverside Depot for storage until the next Special Event following the end of the Sunderland Illuminations event, this vehicle has instead been retained at Deptford Depot where it is now classed as being "on loan". This vehicle is intended to cover for the "Prince Bishops" branded Wright Streetlite DF/Wright Streetlite Max Micro-Hybrid vehicles which are off service to have an additional opening window installed at Saltmeadows Road Depot, providing better air ventilation following feedback received from customers.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

19 Nov 2017, 10:30 am #218
(19 Nov 2017, 10:02 am)Michael

X66, Coast&Country and Red Kites to follow?
S813 FVK
19 Nov 2017, 10:30 am #218

(19 Nov 2017, 10:02 am)Michael

X66, Coast&Country and Red Kites to follow?

Andreos1

19 Nov 2017, 12:03 pm #219
(19 Nov 2017, 10:02 am)Michael 5298 should arrive back next week, i think., so hopefully 5298 - 5302 are branded next week for the X84/X85.

*tries really hard to not add a sarcastic, flippant comment about the other feedback recieved on the vehicles - from passengers, fitters and drivers*

Andreos1
19 Nov 2017, 12:03 pm #219

(19 Nov 2017, 10:02 am)Michael 5298 should arrive back next week, i think., so hopefully 5298 - 5302 are branded next week for the X84/X85.

*tries really hard to not add a sarcastic, flippant comment about the other feedback recieved on the vehicles - from passengers, fitters and drivers*

Malarkey

19 Nov 2017, 6:59 pm #220
(15 Nov 2017, 3:55 pm)Dan Wright Streetlite 9101 has again returned to Go North East for further use. It has been in use at Washington today as a staff shuttle, but transferring to Chester-le-Street tonight (for use on service 34) in exchange for 9092 which will be used at Washington in service instead.

9092 on the 4 yesterday evening - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...ed-public/

Must note on three separate occasions yesterday the driver of this did not pick up anyone at The Galleries on both the Houghton bound journey (15:00 from The Galleries) and the Heworth bound journey (16:00 from The Galleries) and finally the Houghton bound journey (16:35 from Concord), this was running over 10 Minutes late and despite the merc it was running in two with picking up all the passengers, the merc still came back to concord 2 minutes before it, this leads me to believe the existing timetable of the 4 wouldn't be achievable using the Streetlites if they were purchased for the 4 in the future, as for life expectancy I would say 10-12 Years.
Malarkey
19 Nov 2017, 6:59 pm #220

(15 Nov 2017, 3:55 pm)Dan Wright Streetlite 9101 has again returned to Go North East for further use. It has been in use at Washington today as a staff shuttle, but transferring to Chester-le-Street tonight (for use on service 34) in exchange for 9092 which will be used at Washington in service instead.

9092 on the 4 yesterday evening - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...ed-public/

Must note on three separate occasions yesterday the driver of this did not pick up anyone at The Galleries on both the Houghton bound journey (15:00 from The Galleries) and the Heworth bound journey (16:00 from The Galleries) and finally the Houghton bound journey (16:35 from Concord), this was running over 10 Minutes late and despite the merc it was running in two with picking up all the passengers, the merc still came back to concord 2 minutes before it, this leads me to believe the existing timetable of the 4 wouldn't be achievable using the Streetlites if they were purchased for the 4 in the future, as for life expectancy I would say 10-12 Years.

Pages (18) Previous 110 11 1218 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average