Menu

North East Buses The Site News & Site Updates What can we do to improve NEB?

What can we do to improve NEB?

What can we do to improve NEB?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

11 Apr 2018, 4:14 pm #1
Most of the 'behind the scenes' work on a number of the site's features is now complete, leaving us with content to add/update as and when we have time, so we're looking at a couple of things that we can do to improve NEB.

Instead of us debating on what we think would most likely to be found useful by the site's users, we thought it'd be worth asking you all directly. That's more likely to give us a good range of different things people would like to see on the site, and also see if there's a big interest in one particular idea.

So, please, give us your suggestions. We look forward to reading them!
Dan
11 Apr 2018, 4:14 pm #1

Most of the 'behind the scenes' work on a number of the site's features is now complete, leaving us with content to add/update as and when we have time, so we're looking at a couple of things that we can do to improve NEB.

Instead of us debating on what we think would most likely to be found useful by the site's users, we thought it'd be worth asking you all directly. That's more likely to give us a good range of different things people would like to see on the site, and also see if there's a big interest in one particular idea.

So, please, give us your suggestions. We look forward to reading them!

Jamie M

Unregistered

11 Apr 2018, 11:30 pm #2
I think it's in a pretty sustainable format as-is. I don't personally anything outside of pushing on archive stuff is going to benefit the community with any noteworthy level. I check the forums daily and nothing pops into my head, I don't think "Oh woldn't it be cool to have X?" at any given point. I wouldn't want to see things changed just for the sake of changing stuff, a part from skin refreshes or whatnot. Speaking of which, good job Smile

Keep up the good work!
Jamie M
11 Apr 2018, 11:30 pm #2

I think it's in a pretty sustainable format as-is. I don't personally anything outside of pushing on archive stuff is going to benefit the community with any noteworthy level. I check the forums daily and nothing pops into my head, I don't think "Oh woldn't it be cool to have X?" at any given point. I wouldn't want to see things changed just for the sake of changing stuff, a part from skin refreshes or whatnot. Speaking of which, good job Smile

Keep up the good work!

Michael

12 Apr 2018, 6:02 am #3
Get rid of this mobile version, its not very good, i kinda liked the unread posts tab which came up, listing them but now it doesn't.
Edited 12 Apr 2018, 6:02 am by Michael.
Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20180412-070119_Chrome.jpg
Size: 355.11 KB / Downloads: 11

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Apr 2018, 6:02 am #3

Get rid of this mobile version, its not very good, i kinda liked the unread posts tab which came up, listing them but now it doesn't.

Attached Files
.jpg
Screenshot_20180412-070119_Chrome.jpg
Size: 355.11 KB / Downloads: 11

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

cbma06

12 Apr 2018, 6:19 am #4
(12 Apr 2018, 6:02 am)Michael Get rid of this mobile version, its not very good, i kinda liked the unread posts tab which came up, listing them but now it doesn't.

Get the Tapatalk app, that’s what I use when I use my mobile instead of going on the NEB website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
12 Apr 2018, 6:19 am #4

(12 Apr 2018, 6:02 am)Michael Get rid of this mobile version, its not very good, i kinda liked the unread posts tab which came up, listing them but now it doesn't.

Get the Tapatalk app, that’s what I use when I use my mobile instead of going on the NEB website.

Michael

12 Apr 2018, 6:22 am #5
(12 Apr 2018, 6:19 am)cbma06 Get the Tapatalk app, that’s what I use when I use my mobile instead of going on the NEB website.

I'll have a look at the app when i get home.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Apr 2018, 6:22 am #5

(12 Apr 2018, 6:19 am)cbma06 Get the Tapatalk app, that’s what I use when I use my mobile instead of going on the NEB website.

I'll have a look at the app when i get home.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

12 Apr 2018, 9:31 am #6

I agree about unread posts. Stumbling around at the moment trying to find what I've read and what I haven't

Hopefully this reply makes sense. The screen doesn't seem to want to scroll at all. I'm unable to zoom out to see the whole screen. Just the area I'm typing in. 
This includes the 'post message' button, which isn't in view. 
If I manage to post this message, it is because I have gone through the 'preview post' button.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
12 Apr 2018, 9:31 am #6

I agree about unread posts. Stumbling around at the moment trying to find what I've read and what I haven't

Hopefully this reply makes sense. The screen doesn't seem to want to scroll at all. I'm unable to zoom out to see the whole screen. Just the area I'm typing in. 
If I manage to post this message, it is because I have gone through the 'preview post' button.

S813 FVK

12 Apr 2018, 10:52 am #7
Going to third the comments about the unread posts. It means I now have to view a thread that holds no interest to me which, as somebody who is starting to use the forum less and less, can be a pain when all of the posts build up.
S813 FVK
12 Apr 2018, 10:52 am #7

Going to third the comments about the unread posts. It means I now have to view a thread that holds no interest to me which, as somebody who is starting to use the forum less and less, can be a pain when all of the posts build up.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Apr 2018, 10:58 am #8
Thanks everyone - I was hoping to obtain some feedback on ideas for new features rather than the new theme, which was only rolled out to everyone as more and more people had chosen to use this theme without it being formally rolled out, and it 'fixed' the issue with Archive/Bygone Era.

Unread Posts is still available on desktop view (but only shows when you actually have an unread post), and is planned to be added to the mobile view as soon as possible.

You can use the old theme temporarily, if you primarily view on a mobile device, via your user settings.
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/usercp...on=options

Choose 'North East Buses' under Board Style.

Obviously a temporary measure, as we'll be rolling out the new theme to everyone, once the last few things are sorted with it.
Dan
12 Apr 2018, 10:58 am #8

Thanks everyone - I was hoping to obtain some feedback on ideas for new features rather than the new theme, which was only rolled out to everyone as more and more people had chosen to use this theme without it being formally rolled out, and it 'fixed' the issue with Archive/Bygone Era.

Unread Posts is still available on desktop view (but only shows when you actually have an unread post), and is planned to be added to the mobile view as soon as possible.

You can use the old theme temporarily, if you primarily view on a mobile device, via your user settings.

Obviously a temporary measure, as we'll be rolling out the new theme to everyone, once the last few things are sorted with it.

12 Apr 2018, 11:44 am #9
I've found that, when I go to the Unread Posts section, it just takes me to the thread in which the post is located rather than to the most recent unread post. Have I missed something in how to identify when there's unread posts in specific threads only, and then go to those posts? The old version of the site seemed to do it perfectly!
Ianthegoon
12 Apr 2018, 11:44 am #9

I've found that, when I go to the Unread Posts section, it just takes me to the thread in which the post is located rather than to the most recent unread post. Have I missed something in how to identify when there's unread posts in specific threads only, and then go to those posts? The old version of the site seemed to do it perfectly!

Michael

12 Apr 2018, 11:49 am #10
(12 Apr 2018, 9:31 am)Andreos1 I agree about unread posts. Stumbling around at the moment trying to find what I've read and what I haven't

Was just about to mention that.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Apr 2018, 11:49 am #10

(12 Apr 2018, 9:31 am)Andreos1 I agree about unread posts. Stumbling around at the moment trying to find what I've read and what I haven't

Was just about to mention that.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

BusLoverMum

12 Apr 2018, 5:51 pm #11
(12 Apr 2018, 10:58 am)Dan Thanks everyone - I was hoping to obtain some feedback on ideas for new features rather than the new theme, which was only rolled out to everyone as more and more people had chosen to use this theme without it being formally rolled out, and it 'fixed' the issue with Archive/Bygone Era.

My user cp has the same issue as this, is overspills the screen without being resizable. Posting is also a pita
Edited 12 Apr 2018, 5:54 pm by BusLoverMum.
Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_20180412-112037.png
Size: 194.48 KB / Downloads: 6
.png
Screenshot_20180412-185005.png
Size: 104.24 KB / Downloads: 10
BusLoverMum
12 Apr 2018, 5:51 pm #11

(12 Apr 2018, 10:58 am)Dan Thanks everyone - I was hoping to obtain some feedback on ideas for new features rather than the new theme, which was only rolled out to everyone as more and more people had chosen to use this theme without it being formally rolled out, and it 'fixed' the issue with Archive/Bygone Era.

My user cp has the same issue as this, is overspills the screen without being resizable. Posting is also a pita

Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_20180412-112037.png
Size: 194.48 KB / Downloads: 6
.png
Screenshot_20180412-185005.png
Size: 104.24 KB / Downloads: 10

Michael

12 Apr 2018, 5:56 pm #12
Now i'm getting unread messages for a reply, which I've not subscribed too..... -.-

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
12 Apr 2018, 5:56 pm #12

Now i'm getting unread messages for a reply, which I've not subscribed too..... -.-

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

12 Apr 2018, 7:03 pm #13

I don't mind the mobile version, but it would be nice to have the unread posts tab back. Both on mobile and desktop view.

(12 Apr 2018, 10:58 am)Dan Unread Posts is still available on desktop view (but only shows when you actually have an unread post), and is planned to be added to the mobile view as soon as possible.

It does feel like a bit of a pain to constantly have to go back to the home page, rather than a persistent unread posts link, similar to what we had on the old theme? Perhaps it should be where I've highlighted yellow on the screenshot (and I've hidden my toolbars - unlike captain dodgy Wink )
Attached Files
.png
nebforumscreenshot.PNG
Size: 81.63 KB / Downloads: 13

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Apr 2018, 7:03 pm #13

I don't mind the mobile version, but it would be nice to have the unread posts tab back. Both on mobile and desktop view.

(12 Apr 2018, 10:58 am)Dan Unread Posts is still available on desktop view (but only shows when you actually have an unread post), and is planned to be added to the mobile view as soon as possible.

It does feel like a bit of a pain to constantly have to go back to the home page, rather than a persistent unread posts link, similar to what we had on the old theme? Perhaps it should be where I've highlighted yellow on the screenshot (and I've hidden my toolbars - unlike captain dodgy Wink )

Attached Files
.png
nebforumscreenshot.PNG
Size: 81.63 KB / Downloads: 13

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

12 Apr 2018, 7:47 pm #14
(12 Apr 2018, 11:44 am)Ianthegoon I've found that, when I go to the Unread Posts section, it just takes me to the thread in which the post is located rather than to the most recent unread post.  Have I missed something in how to identify when there's unread posts in specific threads only, and then go to those posts?  The old version of the site seemed to do it perfectly!

OK, I've worked out what I was missing!  To get to the most recent unread post in any thread, just click the little black arrow just to the left of the thread title (on a desktop machine at least).  Need to use the "Go back one page" button on the browser quite a lot, but I think it's something I'll get used to eventually .....
Ianthegoon
12 Apr 2018, 7:47 pm #14

(12 Apr 2018, 11:44 am)Ianthegoon I've found that, when I go to the Unread Posts section, it just takes me to the thread in which the post is located rather than to the most recent unread post.  Have I missed something in how to identify when there's unread posts in specific threads only, and then go to those posts?  The old version of the site seemed to do it perfectly!

OK, I've worked out what I was missing!  To get to the most recent unread post in any thread, just click the little black arrow just to the left of the thread title (on a desktop machine at least).  Need to use the "Go back one page" button on the browser quite a lot, but I think it's something I'll get used to eventually .....

MurdnunoC

12 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm #15
Preferred the old layout.
MurdnunoC
12 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm #15

Preferred the old layout.

12 Apr 2018, 9:00 pm #16
(12 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm)MurdnunoC Preferred the old layout.

Second that. Ive changed it back.

Noticed on the new one there wasnt a Mark all read button
Jordan2104
12 Apr 2018, 9:00 pm #16

(12 Apr 2018, 8:36 pm)MurdnunoC Preferred the old layout.

Second that. Ive changed it back.

Andreos1

12 Apr 2018, 9:51 pm #17
(12 Apr 2018, 9:00 pm)Jordan2104 Second that. Ive changed it back.

Cant even do that. Screen wont adust or move whilst using mobile.

Ditto unread posts. Just read pricing thread and realised afterwards that four posts on the previous page were ignored.

Andreos1
12 Apr 2018, 9:51 pm #17

(12 Apr 2018, 9:00 pm)Jordan2104 Second that. Ive changed it back.

Cant even do that. Screen wont adust or move whilst using mobile.

Ditto unread posts. Just read pricing thread and realised afterwards that four posts on the previous page were ignored.

idiot

13 Apr 2018, 12:05 pm #18
I had to force Firefox on my phone to view in desktop mode to scroll across to change the board style to old layout.
idiot
13 Apr 2018, 12:05 pm #18

I had to force Firefox on my phone to view in desktop mode to scroll across to change the board style to old layout.

Andreos1

13 Apr 2018, 3:28 pm #19
(13 Apr 2018, 12:05 pm)idiot I had to force Firefox on my phone to view in desktop mode to scroll across to change the board style to old layout.

Forgot about that option.
I changed it by taking off the screen rotation lock and going landscape. 
It just about all squeezed on to one page.

Andreos1
13 Apr 2018, 3:28 pm #19

(13 Apr 2018, 12:05 pm)idiot I had to force Firefox on my phone to view in desktop mode to scroll across to change the board style to old layout.

Forgot about that option.
I changed it by taking off the screen rotation lock and going landscape. 
It just about all squeezed on to one page.

LVK 404L

20 Apr 2018, 7:25 pm #20
in the past couple of days I appear to have gone back to the old mobile phone version of NEB automatically, which I must admit I do prefer

however, I also seem to have lost the archive section back to Bygone Era when Dan only just sorted that out earlier.

Any ideas what's going on?
LVK 404L
20 Apr 2018, 7:25 pm #20

in the past couple of days I appear to have gone back to the old mobile phone version of NEB automatically, which I must admit I do prefer

however, I also seem to have lost the archive section back to Bygone Era when Dan only just sorted that out earlier.

Any ideas what's going on?

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average