Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2018

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average

Pages (5): Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
mb134

05 Aug 2018, 3:42 pm #41
(05 Aug 2018, 1:35 pm)S830OFT These are the buses in need of a repaint and refurb at Belmont:
1412, 1413, 2811, 2814, 2818, 2819, 2820.
They've been untouched for atleast 10 years.

"at least 10 years"

1412/13 aren't even 10 years old...
mb134
05 Aug 2018, 3:42 pm #41

(05 Aug 2018, 1:35 pm)S830OFT These are the buses in need of a repaint and refurb at Belmont:
1412, 1413, 2811, 2814, 2818, 2819, 2820.
They've been untouched for atleast 10 years.

"at least 10 years"

S830OFT

05 Aug 2018, 4:29 pm #42
(05 Aug 2018, 3:42 pm)mb134 "at least 10 years"

Soon to be...
Just get my point, Belmont are the most lazy depot within the region.

S830OFT
05 Aug 2018, 4:29 pm #42

(05 Aug 2018, 3:42 pm)mb134 "at least 10 years"

Soon to be...

9920up

05 Aug 2018, 5:26 pm #43
Interesting comments about liveries and repaints etc. The point here is about customer service. Currently the customer seems to not count. Arriva are keen to sell their product but the customer doesn't know what the product  or its standard is. Vehicles are turned out in a range of liveries. Beneath that is a range of brands and then labelling for routes beneath those brands. However, arriva consistently and regularly mix these up running incorrect brands and route brands on incorrect routes. We all get the need for maintenance and that vehicles fail but if the company can't adhere to it's own brands, why bother in the first place. All that you get is customer confusion .Arrina fare very badly in this area and were it not for the lack of competition would lose out badly when fighting for customers .
9920up
05 Aug 2018, 5:26 pm #43

Interesting comments about liveries and repaints etc. The point here is about customer service. Currently the customer seems to not count. Arriva are keen to sell their product but the customer doesn't know what the product  or its standard is. Vehicles are turned out in a range of liveries. Beneath that is a range of brands and then labelling for routes beneath those brands. However, arriva consistently and regularly mix these up running incorrect brands and route brands on incorrect routes. We all get the need for maintenance and that vehicles fail but if the company can't adhere to it's own brands, why bother in the first place. All that you get is customer confusion .Arrina fare very badly in this area and were it not for the lack of competition would lose out badly when fighting for customers .

Adrian

05 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm #44
(05 Aug 2018, 4:29 pm)S830OFT Soon to be...

I wouldn't say the lack of a repaint makes a depot lazy. Whilst I think the way that depot is ran leaves a lot to be desired, it is clearly a lack of corporate priorities, if a bus can sit for 10 years without a lick of paint. As somebody else has said earlier, quality is a huge issue...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
05 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm #44

(05 Aug 2018, 4:29 pm)S830OFT Soon to be...

I wouldn't say the lack of a repaint makes a depot lazy. Whilst I think the way that depot is ran leaves a lot to be desired, it is clearly a lack of corporate priorities, if a bus can sit for 10 years without a lick of paint. As somebody else has said earlier, quality is a huge issue...

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

S830OFT

05 Aug 2018, 8:45 pm #45
(05 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm)Adrian I wouldn't say the lack of a repaint makes a depot lazy. Whilst I think the way that depot is ran leaves a lot to be desired, it is clearly a lack of corporate priorities, if a bus can sit for 10 years without a lick of paint. As somebody else has said earlier, quality is a huge issue...

Arriva Whitby lead the way with clean buses, 2828 has been White, Silver and now blue Arriva whilst 2818 has remained in it's cream livery for 10 years now!

S830OFT
05 Aug 2018, 8:45 pm #45

(05 Aug 2018, 8:04 pm)Adrian I wouldn't say the lack of a repaint makes a depot lazy. Whilst I think the way that depot is ran leaves a lot to be desired, it is clearly a lack of corporate priorities, if a bus can sit for 10 years without a lick of paint. As somebody else has said earlier, quality is a huge issue...

Arriva Whitby lead the way with clean buses, 2828 has been White, Silver and now blue Arriva whilst 2818 has remained in it's cream livery for 10 years now!

mb134

05 Aug 2018, 9:08 pm #46
(05 Aug 2018, 5:26 pm)9920up Interesting comments about liveries and repaints etc. The point here is about customer service. Currently the customer seems to not count. Arriva are keen to sell their product but the customer doesn't know what the product  or its standard is. Vehicles are turned out in a range of liveries. Beneath that is a range of brands and then labelling for routes beneath those brands. However, arriva consistently and regularly mix these up running incorrect brands and route brands on incorrect routes. We all get the need for maintenance and that vehicles fail but if the company can't adhere to it's own brands, why bother in the first place. All that you get is customer confusion .Arrina fare very badly in this area and were it not for the lack of competition would lose out badly when fighting for customers .

It's interesting how well they can do when they put their mind to it though. Thinking back to when they faced competition on Ashington expresses, and their launch of the X30 to counter GNEs X41, they selected some of the quickest vehicles in the fleet, painted them into a striking livery, and I believe had a few selected drivers. Another example would be the X1 competition, which Arriva again handled excellently with 1404-7. 

Bar the upturn in standards when Sapphire and MAX initially launched, they've became very complacent.
mb134
05 Aug 2018, 9:08 pm #46

(05 Aug 2018, 5:26 pm)9920up Interesting comments about liveries and repaints etc. The point here is about customer service. Currently the customer seems to not count. Arriva are keen to sell their product but the customer doesn't know what the product  or its standard is. Vehicles are turned out in a range of liveries. Beneath that is a range of brands and then labelling for routes beneath those brands. However, arriva consistently and regularly mix these up running incorrect brands and route brands on incorrect routes. We all get the need for maintenance and that vehicles fail but if the company can't adhere to it's own brands, why bother in the first place. All that you get is customer confusion .Arrina fare very badly in this area and were it not for the lack of competition would lose out badly when fighting for customers .

It's interesting how well they can do when they put their mind to it though. Thinking back to when they faced competition on Ashington expresses, and their launch of the X30 to counter GNEs X41, they selected some of the quickest vehicles in the fleet, painted them into a striking livery, and I believe had a few selected drivers. Another example would be the X1 competition, which Arriva again handled excellently with 1404-7. 

Bar the upturn in standards when Sapphire and MAX initially launched, they've became very complacent.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm #47
(04 Aug 2018, 6:02 pm)Pulsar Has anybody done the X18 sightseeing tour and is it any good? I have been trying but have failed on 4 attempts as 7529 (with both screen and speakers) as well as 7530 (with speakers only) were not working and 7532 does not have either the screen or speakers installed. I was also on 7517 which does not have the equipment.

I've not done the tour, but I've heard that only certain buses were retrofitted with the Next Stop Announcement system. Seems a bit of a bizarre thing to do, and really limits the amount of buses which can be allocated to the X18 to give this 'guided tour'. After a bit of digging of photos online, I found that 7530 had a TFT monitor upstairs originally but seems to have been removed, and 7532 has never seemingly had one fitted.

Also heard that the speakers are only upstairs, not downstairs, with the justification that locals sit on the bottom-deck who don't want to hear next stop announcements and any tourists would always go to the top deck.

I'm told the reason why the guided tour may not have been available on buses which are fitted with a Next Stop Announcement system is down to the drivers inputting the wrong destination - apparently they have to select code 'T18' in the destination list opposed to 'X18' as normal, which mightn't have been communicated to all of the drivers.
Dan
06 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm #47

(04 Aug 2018, 6:02 pm)Pulsar Has anybody done the X18 sightseeing tour and is it any good? I have been trying but have failed on 4 attempts as 7529 (with both screen and speakers) as well as 7530 (with speakers only) were not working and 7532 does not have either the screen or speakers installed. I was also on 7517 which does not have the equipment.

I've not done the tour, but I've heard that only certain buses were retrofitted with the Next Stop Announcement system. Seems a bit of a bizarre thing to do, and really limits the amount of buses which can be allocated to the X18 to give this 'guided tour'. After a bit of digging of photos online, I found that 7530 had a TFT monitor upstairs originally but seems to have been removed, and 7532 has never seemingly had one fitted.

Also heard that the speakers are only upstairs, not downstairs, with the justification that locals sit on the bottom-deck who don't want to hear next stop announcements and any tourists would always go to the top deck.

I'm told the reason why the guided tour may not have been available on buses which are fitted with a Next Stop Announcement system is down to the drivers inputting the wrong destination - apparently they have to select code 'T18' in the destination list opposed to 'X18' as normal, which mightn't have been communicated to all of the drivers.

Pulsar

06 Aug 2018, 5:52 pm #48
(06 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm)Dan I've not done the tour, but I've heard that only certain buses were retrofitted with the Next Stop Announcement system. Seems a bit of a bizarre thing to do, and really limits the amount of buses which can be allocated to the X18 to give this 'guided tour'. After a bit of digging of photos online, I found that 7530 had a TFT monitor upstairs originally but seems to have been removed, and 7532 has never seemingly had one fitted.

Thanks for the info, I guess driver error must be to blame on some of my journeys.

I am surprised thought that speakers are only installed upstairs as I know many people will choose to sit downstairs for personal preference or may be forced to sit downstairs if they have prams etc or are physically unable to get upstairs. For vehicles used I know that the 14 reg Sapphires are often used as spares but I think that at the very least all of the 64 plates should have had the equipment installed and maybe 1 or 2 09 plates as well. 

In regards to the tour itself I will probably have another try in the next couple of weeks and will hopefully be able to comment on the quality then. I do think the idea is good as the route is popular with tourists. Hopefully the tour (or just NSA's) are rolled out more widely in the future but the execution would need to better than I have experienced so far.

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.
Pulsar
06 Aug 2018, 5:52 pm #48

(06 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm)Dan I've not done the tour, but I've heard that only certain buses were retrofitted with the Next Stop Announcement system. Seems a bit of a bizarre thing to do, and really limits the amount of buses which can be allocated to the X18 to give this 'guided tour'. After a bit of digging of photos online, I found that 7530 had a TFT monitor upstairs originally but seems to have been removed, and 7532 has never seemingly had one fitted.

Thanks for the info, I guess driver error must be to blame on some of my journeys.

I am surprised thought that speakers are only installed upstairs as I know many people will choose to sit downstairs for personal preference or may be forced to sit downstairs if they have prams etc or are physically unable to get upstairs. For vehicles used I know that the 14 reg Sapphires are often used as spares but I think that at the very least all of the 64 plates should have had the equipment installed and maybe 1 or 2 09 plates as well. 

In regards to the tour itself I will probably have another try in the next couple of weeks and will hopefully be able to comment on the quality then. I do think the idea is good as the route is popular with tourists. Hopefully the tour (or just NSA's) are rolled out more widely in the future but the execution would need to better than I have experienced so far.

My Flickr Account - Photos from the North East and Beyond.

Jimmi

06 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm #49
(06 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm)Dan I'm told the reason why the guided tour may not have been available on buses which are fitted with a Next Stop Announcement system is down to the drivers inputting the wrong destination - apparently they have to select code 'T18' in the destination list opposed to 'X18' as normal, which mightn't have been communicated to all of the drivers.

Arriva are pretty useless when it comes to this sort of thing, I've noticed many times that the evening & Sunday X66's often get blinded up with the daytime X66 display instead of the via Hartburn & Stockton display which means no stops are announced between Stockton and Great Burdon, although the Sunday service is primarily allocated EcoCity's without NSA equipment.
Jimmi
06 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm #49

(06 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm)Dan I'm told the reason why the guided tour may not have been available on buses which are fitted with a Next Stop Announcement system is down to the drivers inputting the wrong destination - apparently they have to select code 'T18' in the destination list opposed to 'X18' as normal, which mightn't have been communicated to all of the drivers.

Arriva are pretty useless when it comes to this sort of thing, I've noticed many times that the evening & Sunday X66's often get blinded up with the daytime X66 display instead of the via Hartburn & Stockton display which means no stops are announced between Stockton and Great Burdon, although the Sunday service is primarily allocated EcoCity's without NSA equipment.

RobinHood

06 Aug 2018, 6:30 pm #50
(06 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm)Jimmi Arriva are pretty useless when it comes to this sort of thing, I've noticed many times that the evening & Sunday X66's often get blinded up with the daytime X66 display instead of the via Hartburn & Stockton display which means no stops are announced between Stockton and Great Burdon, although the Sunday service is primarily allocated EcoCity's without NSA equipment.

It sounds like that is driver error - nothing a depot manager can do to stop that.

If the blinds exist and the NSA kits are configured, then thats 99% of it correct, but the final 1% fails - which is probably a great analogy for Arriva generally.

Ive seen some depots work well, the X93 guided tour seems to work (had a trip on it last Tuesday), was a bit quiet, but windows were open. Locally in Redcar and Middlesbrough, NSA fitted buses talk on every service - not just their own. I noticed that they had recently been updated as the fares are correct on the scrolling adverts following the change.

Durham however seem stuck 2 ro 3 years behind. No updates to their NSA kits - but Darlington have had updates for their Service 7? Implementation poor at the last hurdle and I suspect it depends on how well the depot is managed.
Edited 06 Aug 2018, 6:33 pm by RobinHood.
RobinHood
06 Aug 2018, 6:30 pm #50

(06 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm)Jimmi Arriva are pretty useless when it comes to this sort of thing, I've noticed many times that the evening & Sunday X66's often get blinded up with the daytime X66 display instead of the via Hartburn & Stockton display which means no stops are announced between Stockton and Great Burdon, although the Sunday service is primarily allocated EcoCity's without NSA equipment.

It sounds like that is driver error - nothing a depot manager can do to stop that.

If the blinds exist and the NSA kits are configured, then thats 99% of it correct, but the final 1% fails - which is probably a great analogy for Arriva generally.

Ive seen some depots work well, the X93 guided tour seems to work (had a trip on it last Tuesday), was a bit quiet, but windows were open. Locally in Redcar and Middlesbrough, NSA fitted buses talk on every service - not just their own. I noticed that they had recently been updated as the fares are correct on the scrolling adverts following the change.

Durham however seem stuck 2 ro 3 years behind. No updates to their NSA kits - but Darlington have had updates for their Service 7? Implementation poor at the last hurdle and I suspect it depends on how well the depot is managed.

Multi21

06 Aug 2018, 9:42 pm #51
(05 Aug 2018, 8:45 pm)S830OFT Arriva Whitby lead the way with clean buses, 2828 has been White, Silver and now blue Arriva whilst 2818 has remained in it's cream livery for 10 years now!

Arriva Whitby have 14 buses in Fleet.. One of the smallest depots in the region doesn't take much to get it up to current spec. Let's not forget 2 X4 branded buses a day run from Whitby they are old Sapphire. Max is now technically a defunct brand. So that leaves the solos by your logic the depot leading the way. 2? Solos have been done that puts it on par with Stockton and Durham behind Jesmond and it's main depot of Redcar.
Multi21
06 Aug 2018, 9:42 pm #51

(05 Aug 2018, 8:45 pm)S830OFT Arriva Whitby lead the way with clean buses, 2828 has been White, Silver and now blue Arriva whilst 2818 has remained in it's cream livery for 10 years now!

Arriva Whitby have 14 buses in Fleet.. One of the smallest depots in the region doesn't take much to get it up to current spec. Let's not forget 2 X4 branded buses a day run from Whitby they are old Sapphire. Max is now technically a defunct brand. So that leaves the solos by your logic the depot leading the way. 2? Solos have been done that puts it on par with Stockton and Durham behind Jesmond and it's main depot of Redcar.

07 Aug 2018, 12:53 am #52
Just a quick question since I've seen some recent replies about them: are the Frequenta and MAX brands now classed as defunct?

If so, how are they when Frequenta is still prominent in Darlington and MAX in-and-around Newcastle?
Edited 07 Aug 2018, 12:53 am by BeachBoy99.
BeachBoy99
07 Aug 2018, 12:53 am #52

Just a quick question since I've seen some recent replies about them: are the Frequenta and MAX brands now classed as defunct?

If so, how are they when Frequenta is still prominent in Darlington and MAX in-and-around Newcastle?

07 Aug 2018, 4:32 am #53
(07 Aug 2018, 12:53 am)BeachBoy99 Just a quick question since I've seen some recent replies about them: are the Frequenta and MAX brands now classed as defunct?

Arriva have not repainted them yet or they won’t be repainted until it really needs to. They are classed as defunct  as they are not included in the new livery list as it’s just Sapphire standard and the green.
NewcastleOne
07 Aug 2018, 4:32 am #53

(07 Aug 2018, 12:53 am)BeachBoy99 Just a quick question since I've seen some recent replies about them: are the Frequenta and MAX brands now classed as defunct?

Arriva have not repainted them yet or they won’t be repainted until it really needs to. They are classed as defunct  as they are not included in the new livery list as it’s just Sapphire standard and the green.

tyresmoke

07 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm #54
There is also an option for a Frequent and Express versions of the normal livery but nobody has used them yet

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
07 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm #54

There is also an option for a Frequent and Express versions of the normal livery but nobody has used them yet

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

07 Aug 2018, 10:43 pm #55
(07 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm)tyresmoke There is also an option for a Frequent and Express versions of the normal livery but nobody has used them yet

So I've seen. I've got a copy of Arriva's 2017 brand guidelines from someone I know who works for the marketing team. Alas, the liveries don't look magnificent - I think the current Frequenta and MAX liveries beat them.
BeachBoy99
07 Aug 2018, 10:43 pm #55

(07 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm)tyresmoke There is also an option for a Frequent and Express versions of the normal livery but nobody has used them yet

So I've seen. I've got a copy of Arriva's 2017 brand guidelines from someone I know who works for the marketing team. Alas, the liveries don't look magnificent - I think the current Frequenta and MAX liveries beat them.

S813 FVK

11 Aug 2018, 3:59 pm #56
Disappointed to see that 7634 has now gained 308 branding (retains the Pride swoop). Looked much better previously.
S813 FVK
11 Aug 2018, 3:59 pm #56

Disappointed to see that 7634 has now gained 308 branding (retains the Pride swoop). Looked much better previously.

Kuyoyo

11 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm #57
(11 Aug 2018, 3:59 pm)S813 FVK Disappointed to see that 7634 has now gained 308 branding (retains the Pride swoop). Looked much better previously.

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks that. Should have left 7634 as the unbranded spare
Kuyoyo
11 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm #57

(11 Aug 2018, 3:59 pm)S813 FVK Disappointed to see that 7634 has now gained 308 branding (retains the Pride swoop). Looked much better previously.

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks that. Should have left 7634 as the unbranded spare

Jimmi

11 Aug 2018, 4:29 pm #58

(11 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm)Kuyoyo Glad I’m not the only one who thinks that. Should have left 7634 as the unbranded spare

Agreed, the swoop now looks a complete afterthought since they slapped the 308 branding on it and it somewhat takes away showing the support for pride with it now being focused more on the promotion of the service instead.
Edited 11 Aug 2018, 4:30 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
11 Aug 2018, 4:29 pm #58

(11 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm)Kuyoyo Glad I’m not the only one who thinks that. Should have left 7634 as the unbranded spare

Agreed, the swoop now looks a complete afterthought since they slapped the 308 branding on it and it somewhat takes away showing the support for pride with it now being focused more on the promotion of the service instead.

L469 YVK

11 Aug 2018, 7:04 pm #59

There's no new livery spares for the 308 as the PVR increased to 10 vehicles (thank God) back in March meaning the 10x  DB300s brought up from Yorkshire are all allocated to the 308.
L469 YVK
11 Aug 2018, 7:04 pm #59

There's no new livery spares for the 308 as the PVR increased to 10 vehicles (thank God) back in March meaning the 10x  DB300s brought up from Yorkshire are all allocated to the 308.

Cock Robin

12 Aug 2018, 12:13 pm #60
Pride's over. Take it off.
Cock Robin
12 Aug 2018, 12:13 pm #60

Pride's over. Take it off.

Pages (5): Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average