Ferry off due to the swell on the river. 2 buses running but dont know who by

14 Jul 2018, 5:48 pm #44
Ferry off tonight
Jordan2104
14 Jul 2018, 5:48 pm #44

Ferry off tonight

GuyParkRoyal

21 Jul 2018, 5:51 pm #45
Ferry replacement buses are in service this evening with Kingsleys Coaches 254 & 255.

[Image: 42646165175_c985496eb0_z.jpg]Kingsleys Coaches 254 / LX53 AZD. by Guy Park-Royal, on Flickr
GuyParkRoyal
21 Jul 2018, 5:51 pm #45

Ferry replacement buses are in service this evening with Kingsleys Coaches 254 & 255.

[Image: 42646165175_c985496eb0_z.jpg]Kingsleys Coaches 254 / LX53 AZD. by Guy Park-Royal, on Flickr

LVK 404L

12 Feb 2019, 6:52 pm #46
Shields Ferry will be suspended for the week. Commencing Monday 25.February. Appears Arriva Northumbria are operating the replacement 585 service on this occasion.
LVK 404L
12 Feb 2019, 6:52 pm #46

Shields Ferry will be suspended for the week. Commencing Monday 25.February. Appears Arriva Northumbria are operating the replacement 585 service on this occasion.

LVK 404L

09 Nov 2019, 5:48 pm #47
Ferry is out of service until further notice due to repairs being required on the North Shields Ferry Landing. Anyone know who is operating the 585 this time?
LVK 404L
09 Nov 2019, 5:48 pm #47

Ferry is out of service until further notice due to repairs being required on the North Shields Ferry Landing. Anyone know who is operating the 585 this time?

Dan

Site Administrator

09 Nov 2019, 5:56 pm #48
(09 Nov 2019, 5:48 pm)ifm001 Ferry is out of service until further notice due to repairs being required on the North Shields Ferry Landing. Anyone know who is operating the 585 this time?
Yesterday, a taxi and a Stagecoach bus.

Today, one bus provided by Go North East and the other by A-Line Coaches.

Tomorrow onwards should be Go North East, subject to driver and vehicle coverage.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Dan
09 Nov 2019, 5:56 pm #48

(09 Nov 2019, 5:48 pm)ifm001 Ferry is out of service until further notice due to repairs being required on the North Shields Ferry Landing. Anyone know who is operating the 585 this time?
Yesterday, a taxi and a Stagecoach bus.

Today, one bus provided by Go North East and the other by A-Line Coaches.

Tomorrow onwards should be Go North East, subject to driver and vehicle coverage.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Andreos1

16 Aug 2022, 10:50 am #49
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ty...+Newcastle&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=link&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_custom4=C9942ADC-1CE4-11ED-98F1-EB4716F31EAE&at_campaign=64

More on the plans for a new ferry landing. Huw Lewis has some news.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Aug 2022, 10:50 am #49

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ty...+Newcastle&at_medium=custom7&at_custom1=link&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_custom4=C9942ADC-1CE4-11ED-98F1-EB4716F31EAE&at_campaign=64

More on the plans for a new ferry landing. Huw Lewis has some news.

18 Mar 2023, 7:23 pm #50
https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/nexus...ry-landing

found this about the new ferry landing for North Shields
NEbushopper
18 Mar 2023, 7:23 pm #50

https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/nexus...ry-landing

Andreos1

11 Apr 2023, 11:46 am #51
(18 Mar 2023, 7:23 pm)NEbushopper https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/nexus...ry-landing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ty..._Newcastle&at_format=image&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_medium=social&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_id=2D781EC6-D853-11ED-A9A8-EAC77E934D9D

Funding bid rejected.

Andreos1
11 Apr 2023, 11:46 am #51

(18 Mar 2023, 7:23 pm)NEbushopper https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/nexus...ry-landing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ty..._Newcastle&at_format=image&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_medium=social&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_id=2D781EC6-D853-11ED-A9A8-EAC77E934D9D

Funding bid rejected.

DeltaMan

22 Apr 2023, 9:30 am #52
Nexus with the usual PR puff piece/begging bowl request

https://www.facebook.com/100064712255408...ksYQf6wvl/
DeltaMan
22 Apr 2023, 9:30 am #52

Nexus with the usual PR puff piece/begging bowl request

https://www.facebook.com/100064712255408...ksYQf6wvl/

15 Jul 2023, 4:49 pm #53
Don't really know where to put this but would a regular river bus up the Tyne (every 20 mins) be a good idea.

Start at either North or South Shields and serve, Jarrow, St Anthonys, Friars Goose, Quayside, Dunston, Metrocentre and Newburn. 

I wanted to go further west but I don't thinkthere will be enough water and can't really do one on the Wear due the waterfalls around Chester & Durham.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
15 Jul 2023, 4:49 pm #53

Don't really know where to put this but would a regular river bus up the Tyne (every 20 mins) be a good idea.

Start at either North or South Shields and serve, Jarrow, St Anthonys, Friars Goose, Quayside, Dunston, Metrocentre and Newburn. 

I wanted to go further west but I don't thinkthere will be enough water and can't really do one on the Wear due the waterfalls around Chester & Durham.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

Andreos1

15 Jul 2023, 5:34 pm #54
(15 Jul 2023, 4:49 pm)ASX_Terranova Don't really know where to put this but would a regular river bus up the Tyne (every 20 mins) be a good idea.

I've said for years, that the river needs to be utilised more. 

We keep hearing stories about the roads and pollution and the need to switch modes of transport - but here we are, sitting alongside a totally underutilised resource.

It would open up so many new links/connections and in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't cost much to set up either.

A fast express type ferry between key points and a slower stopping service, maybe zigzagging down the river.

Andreos1
15 Jul 2023, 5:34 pm #54

(15 Jul 2023, 4:49 pm)ASX_Terranova Don't really know where to put this but would a regular river bus up the Tyne (every 20 mins) be a good idea.

I've said for years, that the river needs to be utilised more. 

We keep hearing stories about the roads and pollution and the need to switch modes of transport - but here we are, sitting alongside a totally underutilised resource.

It would open up so many new links/connections and in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't cost much to set up either.

A fast express type ferry between key points and a slower stopping service, maybe zigzagging down the river.

Adrian

16 Jul 2023, 3:14 pm #55
(15 Jul 2023, 5:34 pm)Andreos1 I've said for years, that the river needs to be utilised more. 

I'm not convinced. Having used the Thames Clipper in London, I'd be surprised if, other than tourism, it's used for any more than odd journeys. 

When I was last down there, we did Battersea to Canary Wharf, which took just over an hour. The same journey on the Tube is half the time, even taking into account the change from Northern to Jubilee. The journey was also around £9, as oppose to the £2.80 off-peak fare on the Underground, which is part of capping.

Having a look at the timetable for the Clipper, it takes 1:14 from Barking Riverside to Embankment. A similar distance from Newburn to Shields, as suggested above. It's already slightly quicker using Bus and Metro. 

There's also the question of how well used it'd be. Newburn isn't exactly a huge, with a population of less than 10k. It already has a 10 minute frequency on the Stagecoach 22, takes just over 15 minutes into town, and which stops in more convenient places oppose to where a ferry landing would need to be. Even if you look at other places likely to be served to/from Newcastle; Blaydon (15 min (infrequent) by train, 20 by bus), Metrocentre (9 minutes by train, 18 by bus), Dunston (15 minutes by bus). The road is King here.

On the East of Newcastle, they've had bus links along the river via the Quaylink and Stagecoach 18, but they're really not that well used. Even the stretch between the Quayside and St Peters basin, where there's loads of housing, it's rare to see more than 1 or 2 board at a time.

You're also not considering the biggest competitor to a river boat/ferry service - bridges. They're almost the sole reason why we don't have ferry crossings along the Tyne and the Wear anymore, with exception of the Shields ferry.

I'm all for trying new things, but the cost of delivering this would far outweigh any benefit delivered.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Jul 2023, 3:14 pm #55

(15 Jul 2023, 5:34 pm)Andreos1 I've said for years, that the river needs to be utilised more. 

I'm not convinced. Having used the Thames Clipper in London, I'd be surprised if, other than tourism, it's used for any more than odd journeys. 

When I was last down there, we did Battersea to Canary Wharf, which took just over an hour. The same journey on the Tube is half the time, even taking into account the change from Northern to Jubilee. The journey was also around £9, as oppose to the £2.80 off-peak fare on the Underground, which is part of capping.

Having a look at the timetable for the Clipper, it takes 1:14 from Barking Riverside to Embankment. A similar distance from Newburn to Shields, as suggested above. It's already slightly quicker using Bus and Metro. 

There's also the question of how well used it'd be. Newburn isn't exactly a huge, with a population of less than 10k. It already has a 10 minute frequency on the Stagecoach 22, takes just over 15 minutes into town, and which stops in more convenient places oppose to where a ferry landing would need to be. Even if you look at other places likely to be served to/from Newcastle; Blaydon (15 min (infrequent) by train, 20 by bus), Metrocentre (9 minutes by train, 18 by bus), Dunston (15 minutes by bus). The road is King here.

On the East of Newcastle, they've had bus links along the river via the Quaylink and Stagecoach 18, but they're really not that well used. Even the stretch between the Quayside and St Peters basin, where there's loads of housing, it's rare to see more than 1 or 2 board at a time.

You're also not considering the biggest competitor to a river boat/ferry service - bridges. They're almost the sole reason why we don't have ferry crossings along the Tyne and the Wear anymore, with exception of the Shields ferry.

I'm all for trying new things, but the cost of delivering this would far outweigh any benefit delivered.

Andreos1

16 Jul 2023, 9:44 pm #56
(16 Jul 2023, 3:14 pm)Adrian I'm not convinced. Having used the Thames Clipper in London, I'd be surprised if, other than tourism, it's used for any more than odd journeys. 

I've done the O2 to Embankment before. Purely from a tourist perspective and you're right, there are many quicker journeys.
However, other than peak, I don't think there's any/many express services. 

However, I think you're comparing apples and pears. 
London has a fantastic public transport system compared to what we have up here. 
There are many alternatives, depending on need. 

However, they've also got bridges. 
They've also got high levels of pollution and are expanding the public transport offering, along with emissions/congestion charging. 

The bridges you mention across the Tyne, are struggling to cope with traffic. 
Buses are getting stuck. Cars are getting stuck. 
One of them is so knackered - they made it one way and removed the ability to cross it going north. 
They're also consistently appearing in the lists of pollution hot-spots. 

I've lost count how much money has been chucked at bus priority measures.
I've lost count how many times we've seen roads narrowed and bus lanes squeezed in. 

I doubt many will be travelling from Blaydon to South Shields. 
I do reckon there will be many doing short-hops, maybe two or three landing stations and probably passing a 10 stuck in traffic around the Metrocentre or crawling over the Redheugh Bridge though.
Maybe even going to places on one riverbus, that would take 2 or 3 buses.

I'd also hazard a guess that all those people living in the new houses on Smiths Dock, are getting stuck in the tunnel or going the long-way round on the way to work too.
East of Gateshead, you're looking at potential landing spots not far (short walk or a quick bus ride) from several metro stations (Bill Quay/Pelaw, St Peters Basin/Byker, Hebburn, Wallsend, Jarrow, Willington Quay... 

The Tyne is sitting there totally underutilised, whilst everything alongside it, under it or over it is struggling.

When it comes to public transport and infrastructure, I look at some of the European cities and am constantly amazed at how far ahead they are of us. Toto on the Amsterdam trams for example. It's been in place for donkeys years. 
Then look at the Dutch and how they're using their waterways successfully. Making the most of the resource that's there and not finding the long way around or over it like we do here.

Andreos1
16 Jul 2023, 9:44 pm #56

(16 Jul 2023, 3:14 pm)Adrian I'm not convinced. Having used the Thames Clipper in London, I'd be surprised if, other than tourism, it's used for any more than odd journeys. 

I've done the O2 to Embankment before. Purely from a tourist perspective and you're right, there are many quicker journeys.

London has a fantastic public transport system compared to what we have up here. 

They've also got high levels of pollution and are expanding the public transport offering, along with emissions/congestion charging. 

One of them is so knackered - they made it one way and removed the ability to cross it going north. 

I've lost count how many times we've seen roads narrowed and bus lanes squeezed in. 

I do reckon there will be many doing short-hops, maybe two or three landing stations and probably passing a 10 stuck in traffic around the Metrocentre or crawling over the Redheugh Bridge though.

I'd also hazard a guess that all those people living in the new houses on Smiths Dock, are getting stuck in the tunnel or going the long-way round on the way to work too.
East of Gateshead, you're looking at potential landing spots not far (short walk or a quick bus ride) from several metro stations (Bill Quay/Pelaw, St Peters Basin/Byker, Hebburn, Wallsend, Jarrow, Willington Quay... 

The Tyne is sitting there totally underutilised, whilst everything alongside it, under it or over it is struggling.

When it comes to public transport and infrastructure, I look at some of the European cities and am constantly amazed at how far ahead they are of us. Toto on the Amsterdam trams for example. It's been in place for donkeys years. 
Then look at the Dutch and how they're using their waterways successfully. Making the most of the resource that's there and not finding the long way around or over it like we do here.

Storx

16 Jul 2023, 10:01 pm #57
(16 Jul 2023, 9:44 pm)Andreos1 I've done the O2 to Embankment before. Purely from a tourist perspective and you're right, there are many quicker journeys.

I'd say one of the biggest problems with Riverboats here is we have an adverse idea of building houses near the thing and it's mainly parks and/or industrial whereas the likes of London and the European cities are all residential right upto the river. Other than Smith Docks, Newcastle / Gateshead Quays and around Dunston Staiths there's not really anything of note on the whole length without a substantial walk.

You have to remember there's the foot tunnel and that's dead most the time which might have it's refurb finished sometime in the 21st century.
Storx
16 Jul 2023, 10:01 pm #57

(16 Jul 2023, 9:44 pm)Andreos1 I've done the O2 to Embankment before. Purely from a tourist perspective and you're right, there are many quicker journeys.

I'd say one of the biggest problems with Riverboats here is we have an adverse idea of building houses near the thing and it's mainly parks and/or industrial whereas the likes of London and the European cities are all residential right upto the river. Other than Smith Docks, Newcastle / Gateshead Quays and around Dunston Staiths there's not really anything of note on the whole length without a substantial walk.

You have to remember there's the foot tunnel and that's dead most the time which might have it's refurb finished sometime in the 21st century.

Andreos1

16 Jul 2023, 10:52 pm #58
(16 Jul 2023, 10:01 pm)Storx I'd say one of the biggest problems with Riverboats here is we have an adverse idea of building houses near the thing and it's mainly parks and/or industrial whereas the likes of London and the European cities are all residential right upto the river. Other than Smith Docks, Newcastle / Gateshead Quays and around Dunston Staiths there's not really anything of note on the whole length without a substantial walk.

Sounds ideal. An ideal situation then.
Pointless having just houses on the river and having a boat take people from one housing development to another.
Might as well have some take people to work or pleasure.

Seriously though, there's only portions of The Thames in London served by the clippers that has residential areas too. Particularly West of Canary Wharf on the northern side.

The ferry next to this cafe, just outside Amsterdam fascinates me everytime I pass it.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/e2wWSJjKkj1hNx78A

Absolutely in the middle of nowhere, but it works and it operates 24/7.
There's buses on both sides for those not driving/cycling and they connect with Haarlem on the south side and the nearest railway station on the northern side (Alkmaar to Rotterdam line).

https://reisinfo.gvb.nl/nl/lijnen here's the rest of the routes in that area.

Andreos1
16 Jul 2023, 10:52 pm #58

(16 Jul 2023, 10:01 pm)Storx I'd say one of the biggest problems with Riverboats here is we have an adverse idea of building houses near the thing and it's mainly parks and/or industrial whereas the likes of London and the European cities are all residential right upto the river. Other than Smith Docks, Newcastle / Gateshead Quays and around Dunston Staiths there's not really anything of note on the whole length without a substantial walk.

Sounds ideal. An ideal situation then.
Pointless having just houses on the river and having a boat take people from one housing development to another.
Might as well have some take people to work or pleasure.

Seriously though, there's only portions of The Thames in London served by the clippers that has residential areas too. Particularly West of Canary Wharf on the northern side.

The ferry next to this cafe, just outside Amsterdam fascinates me everytime I pass it.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/e2wWSJjKkj1hNx78A

Absolutely in the middle of nowhere, but it works and it operates 24/7.
There's buses on both sides for those not driving/cycling and they connect with Haarlem on the south side and the nearest railway station on the northern side (Alkmaar to Rotterdam line).

https://reisinfo.gvb.nl/nl/lijnen here's the rest of the routes in that area.

Adrian

17 Jul 2023, 10:39 am #59

I don't think the comparison is too dissimilar. The network on both sides of the Tyne, formed of buses, Metro and Rail, is not a bad service at all. In my example above, I quoted somewhere the size of Newburn having a 10 minute frequency to the town, with a journey time of just over 15 minutes. 

There's always ways to improve transport networks and infrastructure, but I really don't think the suggestion of more services on the river does that. In the places you quote East of Gateshead as potential landing spots, you've probably answered your own question; they're a short walk from several Metro stations. When the maximum journey time on that section (from Shields) is about 25 minutes, I don't think you're going to beat that across the River. Even still, the Metro gets you into the centre of Newcastle, whereas landing at the Quayside is either a steep walk up or a bus ride if you have mobility issues.

Adrian
17 Jul 2023, 10:39 am #59

I don't think the comparison is too dissimilar. The network on both sides of the Tyne, formed of buses, Metro and Rail, is not a bad service at all. In my example above, I quoted somewhere the size of Newburn having a 10 minute frequency to the town, with a journey time of just over 15 minutes. 

There's always ways to improve transport networks and infrastructure, but I really don't think the suggestion of more services on the river does that. In the places you quote East of Gateshead as potential landing spots, you've probably answered your own question; they're a short walk from several Metro stations. When the maximum journey time on that section (from Shields) is about 25 minutes, I don't think you're going to beat that across the River. Even still, the Metro gets you into the centre of Newcastle, whereas landing at the Quayside is either a steep walk up or a bus ride if you have mobility issues.

Andreos1

17 Jul 2023, 10:52 am #60
(17 Jul 2023, 10:39 am)Adrian I don't think the comparison is too dissimilar. The network on both sides of the Tyne, formed of buses, Metro and Rail, is not a bad service at all. In my example above, I quoted somewhere the size of Newburn having a 10 minute frequency to the town, with a journey time of just over 15 minutes. 

But this is assuming that everyone is travelling to or from town or city centres. 
Just like bus operators do. 

We all know that's not the case.

You mentioned St Peters yesterday and the poor numbers of people using the bus when you've been on it. 
Where are those people going? If it's the town, they're clearly not using the bus.

Those people in Newburn you mention. Where else can they get to using public transport?
It's alright saying they've got a frequent bus in to the town, but it doesn't solve any other issues at all. It probably does impact on the widening of the A1 at the top of their street though and the issues with traffic along Scotswood Road.

Where are people in Hebburn working? Is it just places on a bus route or metro line? Of course not.

Imagine you're living in Smiths Dock, how easy is it to get to somewhere such as the Sage or anywhere on the quayside?

The road network is as knackered as the bus network.
We need to look at alternatives. The river can be an alternative and as long as it is timed, priced and operated effectively (integrating with road and rail like the example I shared in the Netherlands), I see absolutely no reason why it can't be part of the solution.

Andreos1
17 Jul 2023, 10:52 am #60

(17 Jul 2023, 10:39 am)Adrian I don't think the comparison is too dissimilar. The network on both sides of the Tyne, formed of buses, Metro and Rail, is not a bad service at all. In my example above, I quoted somewhere the size of Newburn having a 10 minute frequency to the town, with a journey time of just over 15 minutes. 

But this is assuming that everyone is travelling to or from town or city centres. 
Just like bus operators do. 

We all know that's not the case.

You mentioned St Peters yesterday and the poor numbers of people using the bus when you've been on it. 
Where are those people going? If it's the town, they're clearly not using the bus.

Those people in Newburn you mention. Where else can they get to using public transport?
It's alright saying they've got a frequent bus in to the town, but it doesn't solve any other issues at all. It probably does impact on the widening of the A1 at the top of their street though and the issues with traffic along Scotswood Road.

Where are people in Hebburn working? Is it just places on a bus route or metro line? Of course not.

Imagine you're living in Smiths Dock, how easy is it to get to somewhere such as the Sage or anywhere on the quayside?

The road network is as knackered as the bus network.
We need to look at alternatives. The river can be an alternative and as long as it is timed, priced and operated effectively (integrating with road and rail like the example I shared in the Netherlands), I see absolutely no reason why it can't be part of the solution.

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average