Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Northern (Arriva Rail North)

Northern (Arriva Rail North)

Northern (Arriva Rail North)

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (42): Previous 140 41 42
Storx

20 Nov 2023, 9:08 pm #821
(20 Nov 2023, 9:02 pm)deanmachine I don't think the Northern Connect thing was ever really going to work with the current stock we have in the North East, even Express Sprinters only top out at 90mph, it would've been a right pain to try and path something that slow along the ECML every hour.

Yeah agreed, hopefully it might be the sort of route to look at for electric battery vehicles, when the tech comes in. Use the wires from Newcastle to Ferryhill and then run on battery for the short'ish section from Ferryhill down to Middlesbrough.

The Morpeth / Ashington services are the same and are going to be self contained in the future as far as I'm aware aswell, the extra acceleration on those would help on the sections on the ECML. Would help with going green aswell, rather than having diesel trains running under wires.
Storx
20 Nov 2023, 9:08 pm #821

(20 Nov 2023, 9:02 pm)deanmachine I don't think the Northern Connect thing was ever really going to work with the current stock we have in the North East, even Express Sprinters only top out at 90mph, it would've been a right pain to try and path something that slow along the ECML every hour.

Yeah agreed, hopefully it might be the sort of route to look at for electric battery vehicles, when the tech comes in. Use the wires from Newcastle to Ferryhill and then run on battery for the short'ish section from Ferryhill down to Middlesbrough.

The Morpeth / Ashington services are the same and are going to be self contained in the future as far as I'm aware aswell, the extra acceleration on those would help on the sections on the ECML. Would help with going green aswell, rather than having diesel trains running under wires.

Andreos1

20 Nov 2023, 9:11 pm #822

I've been racking my brains to reckon up what the ECML was like when Sprinters were on the Transpennine Services.
Without checking, I don't think the paths were too much different to what they are now.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Nov 2023, 9:11 pm #822

I've been racking my brains to reckon up what the ECML was like when Sprinters were on the Transpennine Services.
Without checking, I don't think the paths were too much different to what they are now.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

20 Nov 2023, 9:50 pm #823
(20 Nov 2023, 9:08 pm)Storx Yeah agreed, hopefully it might be the sort of route to look at for electric battery vehicles, when the tech comes in. Use the wires from Newcastle to Ferryhill and then run on battery for the short'ish section from Ferryhill down to Middlesbrough.

Northern have a notice out to tender for up to 450 new units, which is more than their entire fleet, so hopefully that means that the Sprinters may disappear up here which might help with making everything a bit faster. I'd be happy with bi-modes, although suspect they want full tri-mode capability with Diesel, Pantograph and Battery power.

(20 Nov 2023, 9:11 pm)Andreos1 I've been racking my brains to reckon up what the ECML was like when Sprinters were on the Transpennine Services.

Isn't there a higher frequency of services these days though? Although I can remember the days of seeing them leaving Sunderland Station with Manchester Airport on their destination I don't know much else about the TPE route back in those days, or even how frequent services were on the ECML in the GNER days or even before that.
deanmachine
20 Nov 2023, 9:50 pm #823

(20 Nov 2023, 9:08 pm)Storx Yeah agreed, hopefully it might be the sort of route to look at for electric battery vehicles, when the tech comes in. Use the wires from Newcastle to Ferryhill and then run on battery for the short'ish section from Ferryhill down to Middlesbrough.

Northern have a notice out to tender for up to 450 new units, which is more than their entire fleet, so hopefully that means that the Sprinters may disappear up here which might help with making everything a bit faster. I'd be happy with bi-modes, although suspect they want full tri-mode capability with Diesel, Pantograph and Battery power.

(20 Nov 2023, 9:11 pm)Andreos1 I've been racking my brains to reckon up what the ECML was like when Sprinters were on the Transpennine Services.

Isn't there a higher frequency of services these days though? Although I can remember the days of seeing them leaving Sunderland Station with Manchester Airport on their destination I don't know much else about the TPE route back in those days, or even how frequent services were on the ECML in the GNER days or even before that.

Unber43

13 Jan 2024, 2:23 am #824
Are Northern getting some more 156's as ive seen a few photos in Newcastle Train Station in the East Midlands Railway Livery and the EMR
Unber43
13 Jan 2024, 2:23 am #824

Are Northern getting some more 156's as ive seen a few photos in Newcastle Train Station in the East Midlands Railway Livery and the EMR

14 Jan 2024, 2:29 pm #825
(13 Jan 2024, 2:23 am)Unber43 Are Northern getting some more 156's as ive seen a few photos in Newcastle Train Station in the East Midlands Railway Livery and the EMR

The final EMR 156s were transferred to Northern recently.  Some have been repainted but I don't believe any have had internal refurbs yet.
MetrolineGA1511
14 Jan 2024, 2:29 pm #825

(13 Jan 2024, 2:23 am)Unber43 Are Northern getting some more 156's as ive seen a few photos in Newcastle Train Station in the East Midlands Railway Livery and the EMR

The final EMR 156s were transferred to Northern recently.  Some have been repainted but I don't believe any have had internal refurbs yet.

14 Jan 2024, 10:23 pm #826

The only train in the East Midlands red and blue livery that has been to Newcastle recently is the Network Rail 153 departmental unit which hasn’t been repainted into the normal yellow

156416 & 156 417 are ex EMR units with Northern at Heaton but are in Northern Livery and with the seat covers changed however no sockets installed

Edit I tell a lie 156 415 is in north east with Northern paint job externally and red EMR seats
Edited 17 Jan 2024, 10:09 am by anvil1984.
anvil1984
14 Jan 2024, 10:23 pm #826

The only train in the East Midlands red and blue livery that has been to Newcastle recently is the Network Rail 153 departmental unit which hasn’t been repainted into the normal yellow

156416 & 156 417 are ex EMR units with Northern at Heaton but are in Northern Livery and with the seat covers changed however no sockets installed

Edit I tell a lie 156 415 is in north east with Northern paint job externally and red EMR seats

Unber43

14 Jan 2024, 10:37 pm #827
So does this mean, this is for all/most trains to be dualled up?
Unber43
14 Jan 2024, 10:37 pm #827

So does this mean, this is for all/most trains to be dualled up?

Storx

14 Jan 2024, 11:53 pm #828
(14 Jan 2024, 10:37 pm)Unber43 So does this mean, this is for all/most trains to be dualled up?

Highly doubt it, I believe, unless plans have changed after the Northumberland Line opens the allocations are going to be:

Class 158 - Morpeth to Newcastle, Northumberland Line, Tyne Valley Line
Class 156 - Everything else

Rather than the mixed allocations which happen right now.
Storx
14 Jan 2024, 11:53 pm #828

(14 Jan 2024, 10:37 pm)Unber43 So does this mean, this is for all/most trains to be dualled up?

Highly doubt it, I believe, unless plans have changed after the Northumberland Line opens the allocations are going to be:

Class 158 - Morpeth to Newcastle, Northumberland Line, Tyne Valley Line
Class 156 - Everything else

Rather than the mixed allocations which happen right now.

17 Jan 2024, 10:11 am #829

Not really, extra couple of trains needed for additional express coast diagrams, maybe route learning specials that’s it
anvil1984
17 Jan 2024, 10:11 am #829

Not really, extra couple of trains needed for additional express coast diagrams, maybe route learning specials that’s it

Pages (42): Previous 140 41 42

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average