Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport All Things Air Flights

Flights

Flights

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Andreos1

07 May 2013, 2:36 pm #1
Has anyone been on any long journeys?
Any scary flights or incidents in the air?

Apart from Saltwell Airways :p has anyone been on any unusual type of plane?
Andreos1
07 May 2013, 2:36 pm #1

Has anyone been on any long journeys?

Adrian

07 May 2013, 7:02 pm #2
Worst I've had was three landing attempts at Newcastle airport on a domestic flight from Bristol. Really bad weather and loads of turbulence whilst in the air, and the pilot had to attempt the landing three times in the end.

I'm not too keen on flying. It's a right faff on going through UK airports now. Wouldn't be so bad if you were straight on and off.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 May 2013, 7:02 pm #2

Worst I've had was three landing attempts at Newcastle airport on a domestic flight from Bristol. Really bad weather and loads of turbulence whilst in the air, and the pilot had to attempt the landing three times in the end.

I'm not too keen on flying. It's a right faff on going through UK airports now. Wouldn't be so bad if you were straight on and off.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Andreos1

13 May 2013, 2:36 pm #3
3? And in bad weather too? Wow!

Flown in bad weather a few times and only had one aborted landing, but nowhere near close to 3 in one flight.
Sitting at the back of an Easyjet from Berlin, a very strong wind from the North caught us a few times as we were approaching St Marys Lighthouse.
Approaching Dubrovnik a good few years ago, we landed in a massive thunder storm and on a small plane from Belfast, we approached Newcastle in a big storm too (for the football fans out there, it was the same night as the derby game at St James Park in the rain when Gullit was sacked a few days later.)
Andreos1
13 May 2013, 2:36 pm #3

3? And in bad weather too? Wow!

Flown in bad weather a few times and only had one aborted landing, but nowhere near close to 3 in one flight.
Sitting at the back of an Easyjet from Berlin, a very strong wind from the North caught us a few times as we were approaching St Marys Lighthouse.
Approaching Dubrovnik a good few years ago, we landed in a massive thunder storm and on a small plane from Belfast, we approached Newcastle in a big storm too (for the football fans out there, it was the same night as the derby game at St James Park in the rain when Gullit was sacked a few days later.)

legend

Unregistered

13 May 2013, 8:49 pm #4
I think my worst was coming in to land at Eshott with the most horrendous headwind. Was on flap ten on final approach and the speed wasn't too far off the stall. I took flap twenty on short final and chopped a bit more power off... it ballooned passing through fifteen degrees, maybe. Went for a sideslip to be caught by the wind so went, around. Would've diverted but needed to uplift fuel from Eshott to get back to Newcastle. Landed flapless on the second attempt.
legend
13 May 2013, 8:49 pm #4

I think my worst was coming in to land at Eshott with the most horrendous headwind. Was on flap ten on final approach and the speed wasn't too far off the stall. I took flap twenty on short final and chopped a bit more power off... it ballooned passing through fifteen degrees, maybe. Went for a sideslip to be caught by the wind so went, around. Would've diverted but needed to uplift fuel from Eshott to get back to Newcastle. Landed flapless on the second attempt.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

18 Aug 2013, 11:50 am #5
Coming back from Lanzarote on 2005,. I had been out on the drink all night before I was due to fly home, engaged in a drinking competition with a man from Cumbernauld and a man from Belfast, never compete with a Jock and a Paddy when it comes to drink, you wont win, they have Whisky coarsing through there veins...

Anyway, I ended up missing the bus to the Airport after about an hours kip, I managed to make the flight, I was still three sheets to the wind, I drank about 3 gallons of coffee and 12 pints of water just to get onto the plane, soon as I sat down on the plane, the mother of all hangovers kicked in and I started to have a panic attack, I dont like flying at the best of times, and I started to freak out, hyperventilating and nearly crying, the stewardess was starting to worry, couple of paracetamol later, the headache did not subside, I was still panicking, they came close to getting the oxygen out to calm me down...

The person sitting behind me settled me right down, gave me 2 Valium, rather naughty I know, giving that it is a controlled drug, but it settled me down and sent me to sleep, as I was flying back to Manchester and miles away from home, when we came into land, they wanted to seek medical help for me, but luckily, I arranged for my mate to come down from Murton to pick me up, and after a quick chat with stewardesses on board who walked me off, I convinced them that, as I was back on terra firma, I would be ok...I was eager to get out as I was carrying way too many cigarettes and too much booze in my luggage...

That whole experience was pretty scary and a tough lesson to learn, never drink too much so close to a plane departure, I was lucky to get on the plane in the first place, these days, if i am on a flight abroad, I have one or two vodkas to calm the nerves and a couple of sleepeeze or nightcalm to try and sleep on the plane
MrFozz
18 Aug 2013, 11:50 am #5

Coming back from Lanzarote on 2005,. I had been out on the drink all night before I was due to fly home, engaged in a drinking competition with a man from Cumbernauld and a man from Belfast, never compete with a Jock and a Paddy when it comes to drink, you wont win, they have Whisky coarsing through there veins...

Anyway, I ended up missing the bus to the Airport after about an hours kip, I managed to make the flight, I was still three sheets to the wind, I drank about 3 gallons of coffee and 12 pints of water just to get onto the plane, soon as I sat down on the plane, the mother of all hangovers kicked in and I started to have a panic attack, I dont like flying at the best of times, and I started to freak out, hyperventilating and nearly crying, the stewardess was starting to worry, couple of paracetamol later, the headache did not subside, I was still panicking, they came close to getting the oxygen out to calm me down...

The person sitting behind me settled me right down, gave me 2 Valium, rather naughty I know, giving that it is a controlled drug, but it settled me down and sent me to sleep, as I was flying back to Manchester and miles away from home, when we came into land, they wanted to seek medical help for me, but luckily, I arranged for my mate to come down from Murton to pick me up, and after a quick chat with stewardesses on board who walked me off, I convinced them that, as I was back on terra firma, I would be ok...I was eager to get out as I was carrying way too many cigarettes and too much booze in my luggage...

That whole experience was pretty scary and a tough lesson to learn, never drink too much so close to a plane departure, I was lucky to get on the plane in the first place, these days, if i am on a flight abroad, I have one or two vodkas to calm the nerves and a couple of sleepeeze or nightcalm to try and sleep on the plane

legend

Unregistered

19 Aug 2013, 11:16 pm #6
(18 Aug 2013, 11:50 am)fozzovmurton Coming back from Lanzarote on 2005,. I had been out on the drink all night before I was due to fly home, engaged in a drinking competition with a man from Cumbernauld and a man from Belfast, never compete with a Jock and a Paddy when it comes to drink, you wont win, they have Whisky coarsing through there veins...

Good job you didn't drink in the air. One in the air is three on the ground!!!
legend
19 Aug 2013, 11:16 pm #6

(18 Aug 2013, 11:50 am)fozzovmurton Coming back from Lanzarote on 2005,. I had been out on the drink all night before I was due to fly home, engaged in a drinking competition with a man from Cumbernauld and a man from Belfast, never compete with a Jock and a Paddy when it comes to drink, you wont win, they have Whisky coarsing through there veins...

Good job you didn't drink in the air. One in the air is three on the ground!!!

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

20 Aug 2013, 8:52 am #7
(19 Aug 2013, 11:16 pm)the pilot Good job you didn't drink in the air. One in the air is three on the ground!!!

Very rarely drink in the air
MrFozz
20 Aug 2013, 8:52 am #7

(19 Aug 2013, 11:16 pm)the pilot Good job you didn't drink in the air. One in the air is three on the ground!!!

Very rarely drink in the air

legend

Unregistered

20 Aug 2013, 6:40 pm #8
(20 Aug 2013, 8:52 am)fozzovmurton Very rarely drink in the air

You should, its a marvelous experience!
legend
20 Aug 2013, 6:40 pm #8

(20 Aug 2013, 8:52 am)fozzovmurton Very rarely drink in the air

You should, its a marvelous experience!

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

20 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm #9
(20 Aug 2013, 6:40 pm)the pilot You should, its a marvelous experience!

After the Lanzarote incident, I find I can only have one or two on the deck to calm the old nerves as I don't like flying in the first place, which is why I also prefer to dose myself up on downers as well
MrFozz
20 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm #9

(20 Aug 2013, 6:40 pm)the pilot You should, its a marvelous experience!

After the Lanzarote incident, I find I can only have one or two on the deck to calm the old nerves as I don't like flying in the first place, which is why I also prefer to dose myself up on downers as well

legend

Unregistered

21 Aug 2013, 11:00 am #10
(20 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm)fozzovmurton After the Lanzarote incident, I find I can only have one or two on the deck to calm the old nerves as I don't like flying in the first place, which is why I also prefer to dose myself up on downers as well

What scares you most about flying? The height, the various noises?
legend
21 Aug 2013, 11:00 am #10

(20 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm)fozzovmurton After the Lanzarote incident, I find I can only have one or two on the deck to calm the old nerves as I don't like flying in the first place, which is why I also prefer to dose myself up on downers as well

What scares you most about flying? The height, the various noises?

25 Aug 2015, 4:17 pm #11
(07 May 2013, 2:36 pm)Andreos1 Has anyone been on any long journeys?

I was on a US Airways/American A320 flight from Puerto Vallarta to Phoenix (US482). I was sat in row 11 - an escape row with an overwing hatch. Row 10, in front of my row, has one too. We took off, and had some bumps - nothing out of the ordinary. During said bumps, the panel from the emergency hatch in row 10 fell off. The mexican in front of me simply picked it up, and put it back on. I was fairly nervous for the rest of the flight!

Had a rough couple of hours on BA242 from MEX-LHR last year. Nothing massive, just an uncomfortable couple of hours with no loo. Cabin staff still passed through with refreshments. I've flown this route, LHR-DFW and LHR-PHX and it's usually inevitable with the atlantic to get the odd bumpy patch.

I have, however, had a few hellish ups and downs on AeroMexico. I know a few pilots for AeroMexico and Interjet and they are more than used to flying in those conditions, but for me, it was pretty hairy. I have flown AM142 twice (MEX-PVR) and it's been a rocky ride both times on their E190 (LOVELY aircraft, I have to say!). It was like dodge the cumulonimbus for most of the flight! Spectacular to see the clouds, but I was thankful to be on the ground after an hour and a bit of it!
Edited 25 Aug 2015, 4:19 pm by 8222.
Attached Files
.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
Size 1.86 MB / Downloads 24

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

25 Aug 2015, 4:17 pm #11

I was on a US Airways/American A320 flight from Puerto Vallarta to Phoenix (US482). I was sat in row 11 - an escape row with an overwing hatch. Row 10, in front of my row, has one too. We took off, and had some bumps - nothing out of the ordinary. During said bumps, the panel from the emergency hatch in row 10 fell off. The mexican in front of me simply picked it up, and put it back on. I was fairly nervous for the rest of the flight!

Had a rough couple of hours on BA242 from MEX-LHR last year. Nothing massive, just an uncomfortable couple of hours with no loo. Cabin staff still passed through with refreshments. I've flown this route, LHR-DFW and LHR-PHX and it's usually inevitable with the atlantic to get the odd bumpy patch.

I have, however, had a few hellish ups and downs on AeroMexico. I know a few pilots for AeroMexico and Interjet and they are more than used to flying in those conditions, but for me, it was pretty hairy. I have flown AM142 twice (MEX-PVR) and it's been a rocky ride both times on their E190 (LOVELY aircraft, I have to say!). It was like dodge the cumulonimbus for most of the flight! Spectacular to see the clouds, but I was thankful to be on the ground after an hour and a bit of it!

Attached Files
.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
Size 1.86 MB / Downloads 24

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

27 Sep 2015, 7:40 pm #12

Always get a bit nervous landing at Heraklion especially since the runway is similar to Madiera 
Always seem to have a student pilot by law of sod
Went to Bristol last summer with an ear infection
I was told I could go by the doctor because it was a 'short flight.' It really hurt flying at 27,000 feet on an A320
NK53 TKT
27 Sep 2015, 7:40 pm #12

Always get a bit nervous landing at Heraklion especially since the runway is similar to Madiera 
Always seem to have a student pilot by law of sod
Went to Bristol last summer with an ear infection
I was told I could go by the doctor because it was a 'short flight.' It really hurt flying at 27,000 feet on an A320

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average