Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Reduce bus stops to attract more passengers?

Reduce bus stops to attract more passengers?

Reduce bus stops to attract more passengers?

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
22 May 2022, 5:04 pm #1
Would buses become more attractive to passengers, particularly car drivers, if the infrastructure was more tram-like? 

I'm thinking of a situation where the bus follows a main A-road directly into a town or city centre. 

Would it be better if existing stops were removed and new 'enhanced' stops were installed but at longer distances apart?

To my mind better, more substantial bus infrastructure and a quicker journey would certainly help make the bus a more attractive option. Although I can see that people with mobility issues may be disadvantaged as they would need to walk a bit further to get to the 'enhanced' stop. 

I'm wondering if the buses and fares along the route were kept exactly the same, if this infrastructure enhancement alone could encourage people to use the bus who would normally just drive both initially due to the investment and over the long term?
balise33
22 May 2022, 5:04 pm #1

Would buses become more attractive to passengers, particularly car drivers, if the infrastructure was more tram-like? 

I'm thinking of a situation where the bus follows a main A-road directly into a town or city centre. 

Would it be better if existing stops were removed and new 'enhanced' stops were installed but at longer distances apart?

To my mind better, more substantial bus infrastructure and a quicker journey would certainly help make the bus a more attractive option. Although I can see that people with mobility issues may be disadvantaged as they would need to walk a bit further to get to the 'enhanced' stop. 

I'm wondering if the buses and fares along the route were kept exactly the same, if this infrastructure enhancement alone could encourage people to use the bus who would normally just drive both initially due to the investment and over the long term?

Andreos1

22 May 2022, 5:33 pm #2
(22 May 2022, 5:04 pm)balise33 Would buses become more attractive to passengers, particularly car drivers, if the infrastructure was more tram-like? 

They need to do much more than maintain the status quo.
* Relying on branding and titivations isn't enough to attract passengers. I think that's clear now.
* Pricing can have a positive effect as long as buses take people where they need and want to be.
* Making the difference bigger between stops may make some difference. But again, if the buses aren't going to the places people need and want to be...

Prior to de-reg and for a few years following, a big chunk of the longer distance type of services (although not express), were limited stop and it undoubtedly had a positive impact on journey times.
As an example, the 723 from Darlington to Newcastle may have stopped twice in Birtley and again twice in Low Fell (I can't remember the actual number) before arriving at Gateshead. 
The local services (such as the 26), were all stops between the same points.

If the enhanced stops had enhanced services calling, local routes were all stops AND buses went where people wanted and needed to be, branding and titivations weren't the be all and end, all along with attractive pricing, then it may work.

There was a thread elsewhere about creating Moto hubs (essentially giant P&R sites alongside motorways) and although some mocked the idea, I did think there is some merit in doing something different.
It may work when various other factors are taken in to account.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 May 2022, 5:33 pm #2

(22 May 2022, 5:04 pm)balise33 Would buses become more attractive to passengers, particularly car drivers, if the infrastructure was more tram-like? 

They need to do much more than maintain the status quo.
* Relying on branding and titivations isn't enough to attract passengers. I think that's clear now.
* Pricing can have a positive effect as long as buses take people where they need and want to be.
* Making the difference bigger between stops may make some difference. But again, if the buses aren't going to the places people need and want to be...

Prior to de-reg and for a few years following, a big chunk of the longer distance type of services (although not express), were limited stop and it undoubtedly had a positive impact on journey times.
As an example, the 723 from Darlington to Newcastle may have stopped twice in Birtley and again twice in Low Fell (I can't remember the actual number) before arriving at Gateshead. 
The local services (such as the 26), were all stops between the same points.

If the enhanced stops had enhanced services calling, local routes were all stops AND buses went where people wanted and needed to be, branding and titivations weren't the be all and end, all along with attractive pricing, then it may work.

There was a thread elsewhere about creating Moto hubs (essentially giant P&R sites alongside motorways) and although some mocked the idea, I did think there is some merit in doing something different.
It may work when various other factors are taken in to account.

F114TML

22 May 2022, 6:37 pm #3

I may be missing something here, but isn't this just the world's most expensive limited stop/express service?
F114TML
22 May 2022, 6:37 pm #3

I may be missing something here, but isn't this just the world's most expensive limited stop/express service?

Storx

22 May 2022, 6:46 pm #4
Buses are buses
Trams are trams

Mixing them together doesn't work hence all Guided Busways have failed pretty much.

Just build the tram line and stop fannying around avoiding building the tramline imo. The amount of money they blow on bus lanes, bus stops, more bus lanes, more bus stops you'd be on the way to the tram anyway.
Storx
22 May 2022, 6:46 pm #4

Buses are buses
Trams are trams

Mixing them together doesn't work hence all Guided Busways have failed pretty much.

Just build the tram line and stop fannying around avoiding building the tramline imo. The amount of money they blow on bus lanes, bus stops, more bus lanes, more bus stops you'd be on the way to the tram anyway.

Unber43

22 May 2022, 8:23 pm #5
(22 May 2022, 6:46 pm)Storx Buses are buses
Trams are trams

Where on earth would they put a tram line
Unber43
22 May 2022, 8:23 pm #5

Trams are trams

Where on earth would they put a tram line

F114TML

22 May 2022, 8:29 pm #6
(22 May 2022, 8:23 pm)Unber43 Where on earth would they put a tram line
Underground. Then connect it to the Metro (which could be seen as an overgrown tram system - I believe street running was one of the possibilities explored when they started building it).

Probably.
F114TML
22 May 2022, 8:29 pm #6

Underground. Then connect it to the Metro (which could be seen as an overgrown tram system - I believe street running was one of the possibilities explored when they started building it).

Probably.

Storx

22 May 2022, 9:14 pm #7

Street running, it's only 2 mile from the end of the dual carriageway near the Angel to High Street West.

Not really suggesting it but when you fanny around with Guided Busways and fancy bus stops etc might aswell go all the way.

The two guided busways up here failed miserably (Silverlink and Centrelink) and both are give or take abandoned now.

The whole Northern section of the Sheffield Supertram is on street, see https://goo.gl/maps/2MBuBPDfUPQANhgg7 for example of it in Hillsborough which is similar to Low Fell.
Storx
22 May 2022, 9:14 pm #7

Street running, it's only 2 mile from the end of the dual carriageway near the Angel to High Street West.

Not really suggesting it but when you fanny around with Guided Busways and fancy bus stops etc might aswell go all the way.

The two guided busways up here failed miserably (Silverlink and Centrelink) and both are give or take abandoned now.

The whole Northern section of the Sheffield Supertram is on street, see https://goo.gl/maps/2MBuBPDfUPQANhgg7 for example of it in Hillsborough which is similar to Low Fell.

22 May 2022, 9:20 pm #8
Human psychology is the problem

I'll use Battlehill as an example

GNE 41 and 41A

Since the last changes it has added 2 extra minutes to drive around Wiltshire Drive however physiological passengers think its longer and will opt against it if they can

Same as 309 is quicker vs 310 and 311 as they add an extra 3-4 minutes around Mullen Road and Station Road

Express numbers should be made more effective

Eg X39 is the 309 but as an Express to Cobalt

Same as X21 is an Express to the 21 service to an extent

I would say increasing stops would be beneficial
DaveFromUpNorth
22 May 2022, 9:20 pm #8

Human psychology is the problem

I'll use Battlehill as an example

GNE 41 and 41A

Since the last changes it has added 2 extra minutes to drive around Wiltshire Drive however physiological passengers think its longer and will opt against it if they can

Same as 309 is quicker vs 310 and 311 as they add an extra 3-4 minutes around Mullen Road and Station Road

Express numbers should be made more effective

Eg X39 is the 309 but as an Express to Cobalt

Same as X21 is an Express to the 21 service to an extent

I would say increasing stops would be beneficial

BusLoverMum

22 May 2022, 10:33 pm #9
I can't think of anything more offputting than having to walk even further to catch your bus or from your bus to home with heavy bags of shopping.

This is another batshit idea that only considers the start and end of the route. If the people in between are served even less well than they are already, then the rot will spread.
BusLoverMum
22 May 2022, 10:33 pm #9

I can't think of anything more offputting than having to walk even further to catch your bus or from your bus to home with heavy bags of shopping.

This is another batshit idea that only considers the start and end of the route. If the people in between are served even less well than they are already, then the rot will spread.

Andreos1

23 May 2022, 8:19 am #10
Trams are trams

Thing with trams, is that you can't really change the route. You're restricted as to which way they go and where they go to and from. They can't go in to estates, may miss out places of employment or retail etc.

Any big changes or extensions have huge capital investment whilst roads are ripped up and tracks laid.

With buses, you have a big advantage in being able to make a change, create a new route or have a variation at essentially a moments notice to suit changing demands or flows.

Bearing all that in mind, I wonder if the powers that be within certain operators actually realise they are playing with buses and not trams? Huh

Andreos1
23 May 2022, 8:19 am #10

Trams are trams

Thing with trams, is that you can't really change the route. You're restricted as to which way they go and where they go to and from. They can't go in to estates, may miss out places of employment or retail etc.

Any big changes or extensions have huge capital investment whilst roads are ripped up and tracks laid.

With buses, you have a big advantage in being able to make a change, create a new route or have a variation at essentially a moments notice to suit changing demands or flows.

Bearing all that in mind, I wonder if the powers that be within certain operators actually realise they are playing with buses and not trams? Huh

Storx

23 May 2022, 9:19 am #11
(23 May 2022, 8:19 am)Andreos1 Thing with trams, is that you can't really change the route. You're restricted as to which way they go and where they go to and from. They can't go in to estates, may miss out places of employment or retail etc.

I get what your saying about routing but generally the idea would be to not having the buses all running through in tandem towards Newcastle and the local hump services (let's call them that) connecting to a frequent tram instead so effectively half the route is removed.

https://i.ibb.co/QYwn2Hb/trams.png - If you had a network like that, as that's arguably the corridors which would be best served by trams, then you could make small connecting networks in Birtley (28/82), Wrekenton (23/24/25/51/52), Low Fell (28A/29/93/94), Chester Le Street (25/34/71), Blaydon (R1, R3, R4) to connect local communities further out to Newcastle / Gateshead with routes like the 10, 21 (reduced frequency) etc still running through.

Plus you get desirable P&T sites which are situated at the 3 corners where they really should be covering the A69, A1(M) and Derwentside / Tyne Valley

(The light pink isn't at the bottom left is also the Consett Line if they ever opened that, could be an option for it to be Tram / Train connecting at Birtley)
Storx
23 May 2022, 9:19 am #11

(23 May 2022, 8:19 am)Andreos1 Thing with trams, is that you can't really change the route. You're restricted as to which way they go and where they go to and from. They can't go in to estates, may miss out places of employment or retail etc.

I get what your saying about routing but generally the idea would be to not having the buses all running through in tandem towards Newcastle and the local hump services (let's call them that) connecting to a frequent tram instead so effectively half the route is removed.

https://i.ibb.co/QYwn2Hb/trams.png - If you had a network like that, as that's arguably the corridors which would be best served by trams, then you could make small connecting networks in Birtley (28/82), Wrekenton (23/24/25/51/52), Low Fell (28A/29/93/94), Chester Le Street (25/34/71), Blaydon (R1, R3, R4) to connect local communities further out to Newcastle / Gateshead with routes like the 10, 21 (reduced frequency) etc still running through.

Plus you get desirable P&T sites which are situated at the 3 corners where they really should be covering the A69, A1(M) and Derwentside / Tyne Valley

(The light pink isn't at the bottom left is also the Consett Line if they ever opened that, could be an option for it to be Tram / Train connecting at Birtley)

23 May 2022, 9:55 am #12
This would be a terrible idea. If anything, reducing the amount of bus stops would attract less passengers, not more.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
wibblejunior
23 May 2022, 9:55 am #12

This would be a terrible idea. If anything, reducing the amount of bus stops would attract less passengers, not more.

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]

Ambassador

23 May 2022, 10:24 am #13
Similar thing but not similar as I sat on a 21 yesterday....bus stops in awkward places that cause delays .

2 examples - both in Gateshead.

The stop at Civic Centre - if a passenger gets off there it inevitably causes the bus to miss the lights and end up waiting another 3-5 minutes before they change again plus holding up whatever bus is behind it.

Similarly to Askew Road and the infamous bus lane - if the bus stops there and misses that green light, its a hell of a wait for the signal change

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
23 May 2022, 10:24 am #13

Similar thing but not similar as I sat on a 21 yesterday....bus stops in awkward places that cause delays .

The stop at Civic Centre - if a passenger gets off there it inevitably causes the bus to miss the lights and end up waiting another 3-5 minutes before they change again plus holding up whatever bus is behind it.

Similarly to Askew Road and the infamous bus lane - if the bus stops there and misses that green light, its a hell of a wait for the signal change

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Andreos1

23 May 2022, 10:32 am #14
(23 May 2022, 9:19 am)Storx I get what your saying about routing but generally the idea would be to not having the buses all running through in tandem towards Newcastle and the local hump services (let's call them that) connecting to a frequent tram instead so effectively half the route is removed.

It was all a build up to the punchline at the end. Thought it was quite clever to be honest.

But aye, something needs doing that gets punters back on buses.

Andreos1
23 May 2022, 10:32 am #14

(23 May 2022, 9:19 am)Storx I get what your saying about routing but generally the idea would be to not having the buses all running through in tandem towards Newcastle and the local hump services (let's call them that) connecting to a frequent tram instead so effectively half the route is removed.

It was all a build up to the punchline at the end. Thought it was quite clever to be honest.

But aye, something needs doing that gets punters back on buses.

Rob44

23 May 2022, 10:41 am #15
Someone need to invent something that talks to traffic signals and when a bus approaches it turns from red to green giving buses priority
Rob44
23 May 2022, 10:41 am #15

Someone need to invent something that talks to traffic signals and when a bus approaches it turns from red to green giving buses priority

23 May 2022, 10:57 am #16
(23 May 2022, 10:24 am)Ambassador Similar thing but not similar as I sat on a 21 yesterday....bus stops in awkward places that cause delays .

I don't think I've ever been on a bus that's got through those lights anyway. I, and pretty much everybody else on the bus, uses those lights to go downstairs ready to get off at Gateshead

I get the impression that there's a sensor that changes it to red when it detects a bus rather than the other way round!
streetdeckfan
23 May 2022, 10:57 am #16

(23 May 2022, 10:24 am)Ambassador Similar thing but not similar as I sat on a 21 yesterday....bus stops in awkward places that cause delays .

I don't think I've ever been on a bus that's got through those lights anyway. I, and pretty much everybody else on the bus, uses those lights to go downstairs ready to get off at Gateshead

I get the impression that there's a sensor that changes it to red when it detects a bus rather than the other way round!

23 May 2022, 11:27 am #17
(23 May 2022, 10:41 am)Rob44 Someone need to invent something that talks to traffic signals and when a bus approaches it turns from red to green giving buses priority

Sensors fitted into the road on the Killingworth Road bus lane in Newcastle do this.
omnicity4659
23 May 2022, 11:27 am #17

(23 May 2022, 10:41 am)Rob44 Someone need to invent something that talks to traffic signals and when a bus approaches it turns from red to green giving buses priority

Sensors fitted into the road on the Killingworth Road bus lane in Newcastle do this.

DeltaMan

24 May 2022, 2:42 pm #18
All modern ticket machine equipment is fitted with that functionality as its essentially the same data that powers real time systems. However, local authorities need to make it happen at thier end.
DeltaMan
24 May 2022, 2:42 pm #18

All modern ticket machine equipment is fitted with that functionality as its essentially the same data that powers real time systems. However, local authorities need to make it happen at thier end.

ne14ne1

24 May 2022, 7:09 pm #19

ne14ne1
24 May 2022, 7:09 pm #19

tvd

28 May 2022, 9:23 am #20
Although there was some places that are over-served with bus stops seemingly every few metres, and I'd get rid of some of those, a better idea would be to go back to having some genuine express services.

I remember when the 'X' prefix actually meant that a stop was express, and served limited stops.
tvd
28 May 2022, 9:23 am #20

Although there was some places that are over-served with bus stops seemingly every few metres, and I'd get rid of some of those, a better idea would be to go back to having some genuine express services.

I remember when the 'X' prefix actually meant that a stop was express, and served limited stops.

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average