Login Register
North East Buses The Bygone Era TWPTE & Local Council Publications Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive & Nexus
Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive
(24/06/2014, 19:13)Andreos Constantopolous Wrote: The choice was much better - but one thing that puzzled me at the time and still does (after seeing the photo), is how much organising it must have taken to get those buses together in Gateshead!

Apart from ringing around with each of the operators to arrange a set of vehicles into Gateshead - it will have had to be arranged for a time when people weren't wanting to travel (imaging ringing up the operator to find out where your missing bus was? "Sorry about that, we had to send the fleet our for a photoshoot"!) AND arranged for it to all happen a sunny day?!

I was wondering the same thing when looking at the photo.

On reflection, I don't suppose it would have been that difficult. It's only the buses at the forefront which needed organising. The rest in the background look mostly like GNE buses and, IIRC, there were usually a canny few in the layover bays on any given weekday. So it's really only one bus each from OK, CAB, Northumbria, Low Fell Coaches and Busways, while the rest probably just happened to be there.
(24/06/2014, 19:13)Andreos Constantopolous Wrote: The choice was much better - but one thing that puzzled me at the time and still does (after seeing the photo), is how much organising it must have taken to get those buses together in Gateshead!

Apart from ringing around with each of the operators to arrange a set of vehicles into Gateshead - it will have had to be arranged for a time when people weren't wanting to travel (imaging ringing up the operator to find out where your missing bus was? "Sorry about that, we had to send the fleet our for a photoshoot"!) AND arranged for it to all happen a sunny day?!

Maybe a Sunday? Tongue
I worked at the PTE from 1990 until 2004 and it was my job originally to do the timetable information panels at all the stops and bus stations in Tyne and Wear. When I first started the bus stations and metro interchanges etc..were computerised but all the others were hand written!!!and I had originally 600 sites. Within the space of 12-18 months I increased these to over 1500 sites,all on computer!!! I was the only person doing it and I covered the whole county!!! Then I moved onto doing the 16 different transport guides using the programme Bustimes and I did all the route maps from 1990-2004- something I really loved doing until they decided to get rid of them,because of a fantastic new computer system which was supposed to do everything, but in reality was utter s**t and the budget for the guides was moved somewhere else and everyone from travel centre staff to passengers said they wanted them back but nobody in charge at the top of the organisation had the balls to admit it was a complete cockup and not as good as they thought it would be!!!! I left due to I'll health and since leaving have seen the pte fail in its information provision...looks OK on the surface but is crap in reality.
I am a keen collector of timetables and have an extensive collection including many from Tyne and Wear from 1970 until the last type of guides,almost a full set,,plus a couple of Sunderland,South Shields and Newcastle Corporation examples from my earliest of 1947.
(07/09/2014, 23:46)mackem1970 Wrote: I worked at the PTE from 1990 until 2004 and it was my job originally to do the timetable information panels at all the stops and bus stations in Tyne and Wear. When I first started the bus stations and metro interchanges etc..were computerised but all the others were hand written!!!and I had originally 600 sites. Within the space of 12-18 months I increased these to over 1500 sites,all on computer!!! I was the only person doing it and I covered the whole county!!! Then I moved onto doing the 16 different transport guides using the programme Bustimes and I did all the route maps from 1990-2004- something I really loved doing until they decided to get rid of them,because of a fantastic new computer system which was supposed to do everything, but in reality was utter s**t and the budget for the guides was moved somewhere else and everyone from travel centre staff to passengers said they wanted them back but nobody in charge at the top of the organisation had the balls to admit it was a complete cockup and not as good as they thought it would be!!!! I left due to I'll health and since leaving have seen the pte fail in its information provision...looks OK on the surface but is crap in reality.
I am a keen collector of timetables and have an extensive collection including many from Tyne and Wear from 1970 until the last type of guides,almost a full set,,plus a couple of Sunderland,South Shields and Newcastle Corporation examples from my earliest of 1947.

Hello, I was wondering why their stopped doing the timetable guides (S1,S2,N1 etc...) and the route maps. each timetable guide used to come out twice a year and I always used to collect a few of them each time. It is ashame that everything is computerised now, I perfered the paper format. Ive always said that their still should of kept paper format while their decided to do them through the internet.
I'm in favour of Bus Bill 
Also out of the EU
Hi All,

Having went to the Stagecoach Stockton Open Day Today, Myself and Aureolin came across Various Advertisements on board Newcastle Busways Leyland Antelean (111 EJR 111W), And we thought it would be a good addition to the Bygone Era, Particularly the ones on Bus De-Regulation back in October 1986, All Advertisements are Attached (Bit of Alliteration for you's, check me out) Below.
Hopefully this is the most relevant thread.

I have been meaning to mention this for a while and keep forgetting.

As far as I am aware, the last (or certainly one of the last) TWPTE zone boundary sign is located/placed on a lampost in the central reservation on the A1 Western Bypass, heading west, between the Dunston and Metrocentre slips.

With the road being upgraded, I am not sure how long the sign will last.

No idea how anyone would go about 'rescuing' it, but I imagine it would be of some interest to one or two people.

It has been there for as long as I can remember (30years maybe?) and identifies the boundary change from zone 26.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(02/11/2014, 02:40)Andreos1 Wrote: As far as I am aware, the last (or certainly one of the last) TWPTE zone boundary sign is located/placed on a lampost in the central reservation on the A1 Western Bypass, heading west, between the Dunston and Metrocentre slips.

With the road being upgraded, I am not sure how long the sign will last.

No idea how anyone would go about 'rescuing' it, but I imagine it would be of some interest to one or two people.

It has been there for as long as I can remember (30years maybe?) and identifies the boundary change from zone 26.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@tyneidols (their twitter handle) have an old school decker, offering tours of Tyneside.
I am not sure if it is a native example.
Can anyone confirm? 
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(29/07/2015, 22:57)Andreos1 Wrote: @tyneidols (their twitter handle) have an old school decker, offering tours of Tyneside.
I am not sure if it is a native example.
Can anyone confirm? 
It's not. I can't find a pic off hand, but it was at the Metrocentre rally this year. May be worth having a look at Dan or Malarkey's flickr?