Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (146): Previous 13 4 5146 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

01 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm #61
(01 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm)Kuyoyo
(01 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm)Daniel I'd still love to know why Tyne and Wear operators register Metro replacement work - surely, as it's rail replacement work, they needn't? After all, that's classed as private and work and need not be registered...

Because they issue Metro Tickets and take fares, they have to be registered with VOSA. Normal Rail Replacement runs don't take fares or issue tickets.

Makes sense - total blonde moment. Ta.
Dan
01 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm #61

(01 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm)Kuyoyo
(01 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm)Daniel I'd still love to know why Tyne and Wear operators register Metro replacement work - surely, as it's rail replacement work, they needn't? After all, that's classed as private and work and need not be registered...

Because they issue Metro Tickets and take fares, they have to be registered with VOSA. Normal Rail Replacement runs don't take fares or issue tickets.

Makes sense - total blonde moment. Ta.

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Mar 2013, 3:36 pm #62
Forgot to mention:
Classic Coaches helped Arriva out with some of the Metro replacement work on Saturday. Photos can be seen below:

- Exterior shot of Classic Coaches' T317 FGN, DAF DB250/Alexander ALX400 (danielgrahamm)
- Exterior shot of Arriva North East's 7461, DAF DB250RS/Alexander ALX400 (danielgrahamm)
- Exterior shot of Classic Coaches' T319 FGN, DAF DB250/Alexander ALX400 (danielgrahamm)

In other news - disruptions this week...

Quote:9th March - No trains Byker to North Shields
All day Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 March, to allow for modernisation work. A bus replacement service will be running in the affected area. During the work platform 1 at Byker will be closed. Please leave extra time for your journey.
]url=http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/nexus.org.uk/files/documents/planned_works/130309%20BYK-NSH%20BUS%20STOPPING%20POINTS%20(2).pdf]Bus replacement stop locations[/url]
Bus replacement timetable Saturday 9th March
Bus replacement timetable Sunday 10th March

Source: www.nexus.org.uk
Dan
04 Mar 2013, 3:36 pm #62

Forgot to mention:
Classic Coaches helped Arriva out with some of the Metro replacement work on Saturday. Photos can be seen below:

- Exterior shot of Classic Coaches' T317 FGN, DAF DB250/Alexander ALX400 (danielgrahamm)
- Exterior shot of Arriva North East's 7461, DAF DB250RS/Alexander ALX400 (danielgrahamm)
- Exterior shot of Classic Coaches' T319 FGN, DAF DB250/Alexander ALX400 (danielgrahamm)

In other news - disruptions this week...

Quote:9th March - No trains Byker to North Shields
All day Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 March, to allow for modernisation work. A bus replacement service will be running in the affected area. During the work platform 1 at Byker will be closed. Please leave extra time for your journey.
]url=http://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/nexus.org.uk/files/documents/planned_works/130309%20BYK-NSH%20BUS%20STOPPING%20POINTS%20(2).pdf]Bus replacement stop locations[/url]
Bus replacement timetable Saturday 9th March
Bus replacement timetable Sunday 10th March

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Mar 2013, 7:47 am #63
Disruptions to Metro this week:

Quote:17th March - No trains South Gosforth to West Monkseaton
All day Sunday 17 March, to allow for modernisation. A bus replacement will be running in the affected area. Platform 1 at West Monkseaton and Monkseaton will be closed. Trains may not run to the usual timetable and trains from South Shields will terminate at Regent Centre. Your journey may take longer, please leave extra time for travel.
Bus replacement stopping point
Bus replacement timetable Sunday 17th March

Dan
15 Mar 2013, 7:47 am #63

Disruptions to Metro this week:

Quote:17th March - No trains South Gosforth to West Monkseaton
All day Sunday 17 March, to allow for modernisation. A bus replacement will be running in the affected area. Platform 1 at West Monkseaton and Monkseaton will be closed. Trains may not run to the usual timetable and trains from South Shields will terminate at Regent Centre. Your journey may take longer, please leave extra time for travel.
Bus replacement stopping point
Bus replacement timetable Sunday 17th March

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Mar 2013, 7:18 am #64
Disruptions:

Quote:24th March - Modernisation work
Modernisation work:
There are no trains running between Kingston Park and South Gosforth in both directions until 12:30. This is to allow for modernisation work.
We are currently operating a bus replacement service, the number 900, calling at or near to all stations between Kingston Park and South Gosforth.

Dan
24 Mar 2013, 7:18 am #64

Disruptions:

Quote:24th March - Modernisation work
Modernisation work:
There are no trains running between Kingston Park and South Gosforth in both directions until 12:30. This is to allow for modernisation work.
We are currently operating a bus replacement service, the number 900, calling at or near to all stations between Kingston Park and South Gosforth.

cbma06

25 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm #65
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busin...-1-5527589

Published on Monday 25 March 2013 16:18

PLANS to extend the Metro to Washington could finally be on track after councillors unveiled an ambitious blueprint for the region’s development.
Edited 25 Mar 2013, 6:42 pm by cbma06.

cbma06
25 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm #65

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busin...-1-5527589

PLANS to extend the Metro to Washington could finally be on track after councillors unveiled an ambitious blueprint for the region’s development.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Mar 2013, 7:46 pm #66
I do believe that some of the comments are correct... Why aren't Nexus and Sunderland council thinking about joining the Metro line up to some of the estates it does not currently serve? Admittedly, this would be unidealistic as it would require a lot of hard work and road closures etc for it to be able to happen, but a circular around Sunderland like Newcastle currently has seems like a great idea to me.
Though this could potentially draw customers away from buses, it does provide faster connections for those who require them!
Dan
25 Mar 2013, 7:46 pm #66

I do believe that some of the comments are correct... Why aren't Nexus and Sunderland council thinking about joining the Metro line up to some of the estates it does not currently serve? Admittedly, this would be unidealistic as it would require a lot of hard work and road closures etc for it to be able to happen, but a circular around Sunderland like Newcastle currently has seems like a great idea to me.
Though this could potentially draw customers away from buses, it does provide faster connections for those who require them!

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Mar 2013, 8:30 am #67
Quote:Pop card validators at Metro stations are put through their paces
Return

Nexus, which owns and manages Tyne and Wear Metro, has begun testing its new station validators which passengers will soon be using to access the system using smartcards.

Read more: here
Dan
26 Mar 2013, 8:30 am #67

Quote:Pop card validators at Metro stations are put through their paces
Return

Nexus, which owns and manages Tyne and Wear Metro, has begun testing its new station validators which passengers will soon be using to access the system using smartcards.

Read more: here

Adrian

26 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm #68
(25 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm)cbma06 http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busin...-1-5527589

Another pie in the sky story from the Echo. I'll not hold my breath until such a time that I see the green light confirmation.

I noticed in that article it refers to the Metro petition that was done, but to be honest, it was an extremely disappointing turn out for something that ran for 3 months. Not even 350 signatures - a 0.65% turnout if you take the population from the 2001 Census information. Not exactly a great call for a town wanting a 'vital' transport link.

Anyway, the Government (DfT) has already responded to that, and it's just the same bog standard response that they've given to anyone else who has enquired via their MP.

Response from Government (via Hansard): http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa...7p0001.htm

Source of Petition signatures (via Washington Star): http://www.washingtonstar.co.uk/news/loc...-1-5502675

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
26 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm #68

(25 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm)cbma06 http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/busin...-1-5527589

Another pie in the sky story from the Echo. I'll not hold my breath until such a time that I see the green light confirmation.

I noticed in that article it refers to the Metro petition that was done, but to be honest, it was an extremely disappointing turn out for something that ran for 3 months. Not even 350 signatures - a 0.65% turnout if you take the population from the 2001 Census information. Not exactly a great call for a town wanting a 'vital' transport link.

Anyway, the Government (DfT) has already responded to that, and it's just the same bog standard response that they've given to anyone else who has enquired via their MP.

Response from Government (via Hansard): http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa...7p0001.htm

Source of Petition signatures (via Washington Star): http://www.washingtonstar.co.uk/news/loc...-1-5502675

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Andreos1

27 Mar 2013, 4:26 pm #69
When I first saw the story and plans mentioned 15 years ago, I was over the moon.

Since then, The Echo or Chronicle rehash the same old story every couple of years. There was even mention of some sort of tram system from Sunderland to Doxford Park via Silksworth using the route of an old mineral line and trams diverging out of St James metro station towards Elswick and Arthurs Hill in Newcastle once.

Personally (ironic seeing as its the anniversary of the Beeching Report), I would love to see the full stretch of Leamside Line including the link between Penshaw and South Hylton reopened - whether its for Metro or another operator.

Down on the River Wear nr Finchale Abbey in Durham you can still see remnants of the spur between the ECML and the Leamside Line. Not sure how feasible it would be to reinstate that section - but it would introduce a fairly quick rail link between Sunderland and Durham. Seeing as Durham is pressing for a new road link to ease congestion, it might be worth investigating the rail option instead.
Edited 27 Mar 2013, 4:43 pm by Andreos1.
Andreos1
27 Mar 2013, 4:26 pm #69

When I first saw the story and plans mentioned 15 years ago, I was over the moon.

Since then, The Echo or Chronicle rehash the same old story every couple of years. There was even mention of some sort of tram system from Sunderland to Doxford Park via Silksworth using the route of an old mineral line and trams diverging out of St James metro station towards Elswick and Arthurs Hill in Newcastle once.

Personally (ironic seeing as its the anniversary of the Beeching Report), I would love to see the full stretch of Leamside Line including the link between Penshaw and South Hylton reopened - whether its for Metro or another operator.

Down on the River Wear nr Finchale Abbey in Durham you can still see remnants of the spur between the ECML and the Leamside Line. Not sure how feasible it would be to reinstate that section - but it would introduce a fairly quick rail link between Sunderland and Durham. Seeing as Durham is pressing for a new road link to ease congestion, it might be worth investigating the rail option instead.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

28 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm #70
For those who aren't aware - there will be no metro trains running between Brockley Whins / Hebburn and Gateshead Stadium all bank holiday weekend from tomorrow through to Monday to allow for modernisation work.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/2013/major-...er-weekend

As well as the 900/901 replacement bus services mentioned in the link, there will be a shuttle 902 between Hebburn and Brockley Whins for the SAFC match.

Also not mentioned in the link is the X901, which will be running up to every 15 minutes between Park Lane, Sunderland, Heworth and Gateshead - calling at these stations only. The timetables for these services can be found here -

http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro
NEB Admin Team
28 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm #70

For those who aren't aware - there will be no metro trains running between Brockley Whins / Hebburn and Gateshead Stadium all bank holiday weekend from tomorrow through to Monday to allow for modernisation work.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/2013/major-...er-weekend

As well as the 900/901 replacement bus services mentioned in the link, there will be a shuttle 902 between Hebburn and Brockley Whins for the SAFC match.

Also not mentioned in the link is the X901, which will be running up to every 15 minutes between Park Lane, Sunderland, Heworth and Gateshead - calling at these stations only. The timetables for these services can be found here -

http://www.nexus.org.uk/metro

Kuyoyo

01 Apr 2013, 6:36 pm #71
The modernisation work between Gateshead Stadium and Brockley Whins/Hebburn is to over-run and as such, the 900 and 901 will be running tommorrow morning from start of service until 9am at present.
Kuyoyo
01 Apr 2013, 6:36 pm #71

The modernisation work between Gateshead Stadium and Brockley Whins/Hebburn is to over-run and as such, the 900 and 901 will be running tommorrow morning from start of service until 9am at present.

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Apr 2013, 6:17 am #72
New escalators for Gateshead

Quote:Nexus, which owns, manages and is modernising Metro, is investing in six new escalators at its busiest station in Gateshead as part of the £385m Metro: all change modernisation programme.

Read more here.
Dan
20 Apr 2013, 6:17 am #72

New escalators for Gateshead

Quote:Nexus, which owns, manages and is modernising Metro, is investing in six new escalators at its busiest station in Gateshead as part of the £385m Metro: all change modernisation programme.

Read more here.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 May 2013, 6:58 am #73
A reminder that a Metro Replacement bus service is in operation today, until 12:30.

Quote:12th May - No trains Monument to Heworth until 1230
On Sunday 12 May, to allow for modernisation work. A frequent bus replacement service will be running. Your journey may take longer so please leave extra time for travel.
Dan
12 May 2013, 6:58 am #73

A reminder that a Metro Replacement bus service is in operation today, until 12:30.

Quote:12th May - No trains Monument to Heworth until 1230
On Sunday 12 May, to allow for modernisation work. A frequent bus replacement service will be running. Your journey may take longer so please leave extra time for travel.

Kuyoyo

23 May 2013, 2:59 pm #74
27 day Metro Closure between Haymarket and Airport/Four Lane Ends set for to take place during August to replace time-expired trackwork.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/2013/major-...ays-august
Kuyoyo
23 May 2013, 2:59 pm #74

27 day Metro Closure between Haymarket and Airport/Four Lane Ends set for to take place during August to replace time-expired trackwork.

http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/2013/major-...ays-august

Dan

Site Administrator

23 May 2013, 3:18 pm #75
I'm fairly positive Nexus said in their last major line closure (while repairing/replacing the bridge at Wallsend Metro), that said closure was to be the final major one... Hmm...
Any registrations put in yet?
Dan
23 May 2013, 3:18 pm #75

I'm fairly positive Nexus said in their last major line closure (while repairing/replacing the bridge at Wallsend Metro), that said closure was to be the final major one... Hmm...

Kuyoyo

23 May 2013, 3:20 pm #76
(23 May 2013, 3:18 pm)Daniel I'm fairly positive Nexus said in their last major line closure (while repairing/replacing the bridge at Wallsend Metro), that said closure was to be the final major one... Hmm...

What they said was the Last major closure on the southern half of the North Tyneside Loop, not the last major line closure.
Kuyoyo
23 May 2013, 3:20 pm #76

(23 May 2013, 3:18 pm)Daniel I'm fairly positive Nexus said in their last major line closure (while repairing/replacing the bridge at Wallsend Metro), that said closure was to be the final major one... Hmm...

What they said was the Last major closure on the southern half of the North Tyneside Loop, not the last major line closure.

29 May 2013, 7:31 pm #77
has anyone seen the advert on channel 5 with the metro in it
daniel p
29 May 2013, 7:31 pm #77

has anyone seen the advert on channel 5 with the metro in it

Dan

Site Administrator

29 May 2013, 7:34 pm #78
(29 May 2013, 7:31 pm)daniel p has anyone seen the advert on channel 5 with the metro in it

Can you be more specific? I've not seen it because I don't watch Channel 5 frequently, but would like to YouTube it if possible.
Dan
29 May 2013, 7:34 pm #78

(29 May 2013, 7:31 pm)daniel p has anyone seen the advert on channel 5 with the metro in it

Can you be more specific? I've not seen it because I don't watch Channel 5 frequently, but would like to YouTube it if possible.

29 May 2013, 7:45 pm #79
(29 May 2013, 7:34 pm)Daniel

its to do with steel works and shows metro going into Gosforth depot Yorkshire bank
Edited 05 Jun 2013, 6:48 pm by daniel p.
daniel p
29 May 2013, 7:45 pm #79

(29 May 2013, 7:34 pm)Daniel

its to do with steel works and shows metro going into Gosforth depot Yorkshire bank

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Jun 2013, 5:55 am #80
Quote:16th June - Modernisation work
Modernisation work:
There are no trains running between Airport and Kingston Park in both directions until about 12:30pm. This is to allow for modernisation work.
We are currently operating a bus replacement service, the number 900, calling at or near to all stations between Airport and Kingston Park.

Dan
16 Jun 2013, 5:55 am #80

Quote:16th June - Modernisation work
Modernisation work:
There are no trains running between Airport and Kingston Park in both directions until about 12:30pm. This is to allow for modernisation work.
We are currently operating a bus replacement service, the number 900, calling at or near to all stations between Airport and Kingston Park.

Pages (146): Previous 13 4 5146 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average