Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (146) Previous 116 17 18146 Next
Bus_User

06 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm #321
The signal affected was the one before you head into Gateshead station heading towards South Shields/South Hylton direction. Stuck on a red light so as far as I'm aware the driver had to override the signal magnet on the train and beep his/her horn and proceed slowly towards the station.

As it happens although was not reported, this happened to the same signal a month or so previously and all the tunnel lights from the QEII bridge to Gateshead was switched on, this was not the case when I went past this morning though.
Bus_User
06 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm #321

The signal affected was the one before you head into Gateshead station heading towards South Shields/South Hylton direction. Stuck on a red light so as far as I'm aware the driver had to override the signal magnet on the train and beep his/her horn and proceed slowly towards the station.

As it happens although was not reported, this happened to the same signal a month or so previously and all the tunnel lights from the QEII bridge to Gateshead was switched on, this was not the case when I went past this morning though.

Andreos1

07 Jan 2014, 9:22 am #322
www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/landmark-ticket-sales-metro-after-6474194?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ticket sales up on metro in lead up to Christmas.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Jan 2014, 9:22 am #322

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/landmark-ticket-sales-metro-after-6474194?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ticket sales up on metro in lead up to Christmas.

Andreos1

08 Jan 2014, 2:07 pm #323
There was a time, this would have got me all excited in anticipation...
www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/petition-launched-bring-tyne-wear-6479256

Andreos1
08 Jan 2014, 2:07 pm #323

There was a time, this would have got me all excited in anticipation...
www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/petition-launched-bring-tyne-wear-6479256

Adrian

08 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm #324
(08 Jan 2014, 2:07 pm)andreos1 There was a time, this would have got me all excited in anticipation...

*Yawn*... What happened to Sharon Hodgeson's petition? Last I seen it was recorded on Hansard, but nowt since... Perhaps someone in her constituency could email her and query it?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm #324

(08 Jan 2014, 2:07 pm)andreos1 There was a time, this would have got me all excited in anticipation...

*Yawn*... What happened to Sharon Hodgeson's petition? Last I seen it was recorded on Hansard, but nowt since... Perhaps someone in her constituency could email her and query it?

Tom

08 Jan 2014, 3:50 pm #325
(08 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm)aureolin *Yawn*... What happened to Sharon Hodgeson's petition? Last I seen it was recorded on Hansard, but nowt since... Perhaps someone in her constituency could email her and query it?

I'd absolutely hate so see the metro going to Washington... And, they can't even provide a half-decent service with what they've got now, so imagine the problems if they extend the metro service to Washington...
Edited 08 Jan 2014, 4:00 pm by Tom.
Tom
08 Jan 2014, 3:50 pm #325

(08 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm)aureolin *Yawn*... What happened to Sharon Hodgeson's petition? Last I seen it was recorded on Hansard, but nowt since... Perhaps someone in her constituency could email her and query it?

I'd absolutely hate so see the metro going to Washington... And, they can't even provide a half-decent service with what they've got now, so imagine the problems if they extend the metro service to Washington...

Malarkey

08 Jan 2014, 6:39 pm #326
The Topic of Extending the T&W Metro has begun again I see, Spotted the Link to the Petition on my Facebook Feed.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/de...OgSGGtoAWJ&utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

From a Personal point of View, Despite living in Washington I am not going to sign the Petition for the Extension of the Metro. I feel this would be bad for the Area. I don't think Washington needs the Metro, I think the Metro needs Washington, Thing is we have an Excellent Bus Service to Areas served by the Metro, Up to Every 10 Minutes on the 2A/2C to Sunderland, Every 10 Minutes on the 4 to Heworth and the same on the X1, Plus the fact it would cost Millions to put in the Extra Infrastructure, then that will lead to a Rise in Bus Fares etc, So really who is going to Benefit from it, I think it is a Waste of Time and Money, Look at the Extension to Sunderland, How well used is that, Few Times I have used the Metro To/From Sunderland its been Quiet with exception of Matchdays.
Malarkey
08 Jan 2014, 6:39 pm #326

The Topic of Extending the T&W Metro has begun again I see, Spotted the Link to the Petition on my Facebook Feed.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/de...OgSGGtoAWJ&utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

From a Personal point of View, Despite living in Washington I am not going to sign the Petition for the Extension of the Metro. I feel this would be bad for the Area. I don't think Washington needs the Metro, I think the Metro needs Washington, Thing is we have an Excellent Bus Service to Areas served by the Metro, Up to Every 10 Minutes on the 2A/2C to Sunderland, Every 10 Minutes on the 4 to Heworth and the same on the X1, Plus the fact it would cost Millions to put in the Extra Infrastructure, then that will lead to a Rise in Bus Fares etc, So really who is going to Benefit from it, I think it is a Waste of Time and Money, Look at the Extension to Sunderland, How well used is that, Few Times I have used the Metro To/From Sunderland its been Quiet with exception of Matchdays.

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Jan 2014, 6:59 pm #327
(08 Jan 2014, 6:39 pm)Adam Malarkey The Topic of Extending the T&W Metro has begun again I see, Spotted the Link to the Petition on my Facebook Feed.

I'd disagree entirely.

The early morning runs from Newcastle into Sunderland often quiet, but in the other direction they're often quite full. Sundays are days where I find the Metros to and from Sunderland are incredibly quiet. Throughout the day, pretty stable loadings and you're often made to stand (depending on where you get on) - now that my local is Stadium of Light as opposed to University, Millfield or Park Lane, I find I often have to stand.

Obviously have nothing on the Newcastle - Pelaw section of the route, it goes without saying...

Once you pass the Uni to South Hylton, that's where it gets pointless and pretty much unused, but I'd actually say this is common of all the Metro network termini. Even (although less so) Newcastle Airport.
Dan
08 Jan 2014, 6:59 pm #327

(08 Jan 2014, 6:39 pm)Adam Malarkey The Topic of Extending the T&W Metro has begun again I see, Spotted the Link to the Petition on my Facebook Feed.

I'd disagree entirely.

The early morning runs from Newcastle into Sunderland often quiet, but in the other direction they're often quite full. Sundays are days where I find the Metros to and from Sunderland are incredibly quiet. Throughout the day, pretty stable loadings and you're often made to stand (depending on where you get on) - now that my local is Stadium of Light as opposed to University, Millfield or Park Lane, I find I often have to stand.

Obviously have nothing on the Newcastle - Pelaw section of the route, it goes without saying...

Once you pass the Uni to South Hylton, that's where it gets pointless and pretty much unused, but I'd actually say this is common of all the Metro network termini. Even (although less so) Newcastle Airport.

Andreos1

08 Jan 2014, 7:07 pm #328

She seems to have gone quiet recently, as has Bridget's bus campaign.

Mr Malarkey is in Sharon Hodgsons constituency...

Andreos1
08 Jan 2014, 7:07 pm #328

She seems to have gone quiet recently, as has Bridget's bus campaign.

Mr Malarkey is in Sharon Hodgsons constituency...

Adrian

08 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm #329

I'm surprised at someone living in Washington not signing the petition if asked to mind. You (or your folks) are already paying for it in the form of an ITA levy via Council Tax. Why pay for something and not fight for it...?

I'd highly doubt the millions in extra infrastructure would lead to a rise in bus fares. It's completely illogical for a business to respond to competition by upping their fares. If someone opened a News Agents next door to another, you wouldn't see the original business respond by upping the price of chocolate bars by 20p would you? Regardless, the millions would only ever come from a government grant. So it'd be in addition to the current ITA budgets.

Reopening of the leamside line, for mixed purpose rather than just Metro, makes perfect sense. The obvious extension of the T&W Metro system, then you have the benefit of additional capacity on the already congested ECML, not to mention the potential of Nissan using rail freight.

P.s: signed. Wink

Adrian
08 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm #329

I'm surprised at someone living in Washington not signing the petition if asked to mind. You (or your folks) are already paying for it in the form of an ITA levy via Council Tax. Why pay for something and not fight for it...?

I'd highly doubt the millions in extra infrastructure would lead to a rise in bus fares. It's completely illogical for a business to respond to competition by upping their fares. If someone opened a News Agents next door to another, you wouldn't see the original business respond by upping the price of chocolate bars by 20p would you? Regardless, the millions would only ever come from a government grant. So it'd be in addition to the current ITA budgets.

Reopening of the leamside line, for mixed purpose rather than just Metro, makes perfect sense. The obvious extension of the T&W Metro system, then you have the benefit of additional capacity on the already congested ECML, not to mention the potential of Nissan using rail freight.

Tom

08 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm #330
(08 Jan 2014, 6:59 pm)Dan I'd disagree entirely.

I agree, the only termini that is well used is South Shields.

How many people use it beyond Monument heading to St. James? Very few.
Tom
08 Jan 2014, 7:12 pm #330

(08 Jan 2014, 6:59 pm)Dan I'd disagree entirely.

I agree, the only termini that is well used is South Shields.

How many people use it beyond Monument heading to St. James? Very few.

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm #331
Anyone considered that it's possible the entire network would have to see a reduction in frequency to compensate for the introduction of trains to Washington? That, or new stock altogether to replace the current Metrocars?

If you choose the former, buses could seem more attractive to the customer and you're therefore losing out on money with competition gaining more, but if you choose the latter, that's a great deal of expense for a project which you have absolutely no idea whether it'll work or not.

With the transport links being quite good in Washington (a streamlined 10 minute frequency on the very good services, with 15 minute frequencies on others), I really don't see why it'd be necessary.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice... Just see it being a waste of time if I'm honest.
Dan
08 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm #331

Anyone considered that it's possible the entire network would have to see a reduction in frequency to compensate for the introduction of trains to Washington? That, or new stock altogether to replace the current Metrocars?

If you choose the former, buses could seem more attractive to the customer and you're therefore losing out on money with competition gaining more, but if you choose the latter, that's a great deal of expense for a project which you have absolutely no idea whether it'll work or not.

With the transport links being quite good in Washington (a streamlined 10 minute frequency on the very good services, with 15 minute frequencies on others), I really don't see why it'd be necessary.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice... Just see it being a waste of time if I'm honest.

Adrian

08 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm #332
(08 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm)Dan Anyone considered that it's possible the entire network would have to see a reduction in frequency to compensate for the introduction of trains to Washington? That, or new stock altogether to replace the current Metrocars?

The logical answer that strikes me would be to introduce short runs between Monument and Park Lane. Similar to the red and blue lines of the 80s. That'd then give the capacity to run a less frequent service between Park Lane and Pelaw, via a circular extension between South Hylton and Pelaw.

Adrian
08 Jan 2014, 7:31 pm #332

(08 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm)Dan Anyone considered that it's possible the entire network would have to see a reduction in frequency to compensate for the introduction of trains to Washington? That, or new stock altogether to replace the current Metrocars?

The logical answer that strikes me would be to introduce short runs between Monument and Park Lane. Similar to the red and blue lines of the 80s. That'd then give the capacity to run a less frequent service between Park Lane and Pelaw, via a circular extension between South Hylton and Pelaw.

Malarkey

08 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm #333
(08 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm)aureolin I'm surprised at someone living in Washington not signing the petition if asked to mind. You (or your folks) are already paying for it in the form of an ITA levy via Council Tax. Why pay for something and not fight for it...?

Thing I never use the Metro at all, In 2013 alone I only used it twice off top of my head, to go to Seaburn Bus Rally and about 3 Months ago when I had an Interview in Newcastle on the Morning and then an Ingeus Appointment in Sunderland on the Afternoon, Otherwise I never use it. I always get the Bus as it's Cheaper for me. I can see the Benefits in re-opening the Leamside Line i.e. for Freight for Nissan and The ECML, But in all Honesty even if I did sign the Petition, Which i'm now Considering, would there be any Benefits for me in that by having a Metro Extension into Washington. Would I be able to go from Washington to Sunderland for Less than I would on the 2A/2C or the 8 for Example with Go North East, Maybe it would be Cheaper as a Day Return is £4.40 and Purple/Red Zone Pass is £6.10.
Malarkey
08 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm #333

(08 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm)aureolin I'm surprised at someone living in Washington not signing the petition if asked to mind. You (or your folks) are already paying for it in the form of an ITA levy via Council Tax. Why pay for something and not fight for it...?

Thing I never use the Metro at all, In 2013 alone I only used it twice off top of my head, to go to Seaburn Bus Rally and about 3 Months ago when I had an Interview in Newcastle on the Morning and then an Ingeus Appointment in Sunderland on the Afternoon, Otherwise I never use it. I always get the Bus as it's Cheaper for me. I can see the Benefits in re-opening the Leamside Line i.e. for Freight for Nissan and The ECML, But in all Honesty even if I did sign the Petition, Which i'm now Considering, would there be any Benefits for me in that by having a Metro Extension into Washington. Would I be able to go from Washington to Sunderland for Less than I would on the 2A/2C or the 8 for Example with Go North East, Maybe it would be Cheaper as a Day Return is £4.40 and Purple/Red Zone Pass is £6.10.

Adrian

08 Jan 2014, 8:33 pm #334
(08 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm)Adam Malarkey Thing I never use the Metro at all, In 2013 alone I only used it twice off top of my head, to go to Seaburn Bus Rally and about 3 Months ago when I had an Interview in Newcastle on the Morning and then an Ingeus Appointment in Sunderland on the Afternoon, Otherwise I never use it. I always get the Bus as it's Cheaper for me. I can see the Benefits in re-opening the Leamside Line i.e. for Freight for Nissan and The ECML, But in all Honesty even if I did sign the Petition, Which i'm now Considering, would there be any Benefits for me in that by having a Metro Extension into Washington. Would I be able to go from Washington to Sunderland for Less than I would on the 2A/2C or the 8 for Example with Go North East, Maybe it would be Cheaper as a Day Return is £4.40 and Purple/Red Zone Pass is £6.10.

There's obviously nothing to suggest if it did happen that zone structures would remain the same, but at present it would appear Washington would fit in Zone B. As such a single over the two zones would be £2.60, with a day ticket being priced at £3.60. I reckon you'd be looking at a journey time between 15-18mins to both Newcastle and Sunderland

Adrian
08 Jan 2014, 8:33 pm #334

(08 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm)Adam Malarkey Thing I never use the Metro at all, In 2013 alone I only used it twice off top of my head, to go to Seaburn Bus Rally and about 3 Months ago when I had an Interview in Newcastle on the Morning and then an Ingeus Appointment in Sunderland on the Afternoon, Otherwise I never use it. I always get the Bus as it's Cheaper for me. I can see the Benefits in re-opening the Leamside Line i.e. for Freight for Nissan and The ECML, But in all Honesty even if I did sign the Petition, Which i'm now Considering, would there be any Benefits for me in that by having a Metro Extension into Washington. Would I be able to go from Washington to Sunderland for Less than I would on the 2A/2C or the 8 for Example with Go North East, Maybe it would be Cheaper as a Day Return is £4.40 and Purple/Red Zone Pass is £6.10.

There's obviously nothing to suggest if it did happen that zone structures would remain the same, but at present it would appear Washington would fit in Zone B. As such a single over the two zones would be £2.60, with a day ticket being priced at £3.60. I reckon you'd be looking at a journey time between 15-18mins to both Newcastle and Sunderland

Andreos1

09 Jan 2014, 10:16 am #335
I would love to see the Metro come to Washington, Penshaw (maybe even Fencehouses) and reinstate the passenger rail link to those towns and villages that was lost 50 years ago.

The problem with Washington (which we have discussed before) is the location of the town centre and existing transport hub, compared to the railway and where the station is likely to be.

Any advantage in getting the Metro to Newcastle or Gateshead, is likely to be lost for passengers in parts of Washington, who would need to go via the Galleries, to get to the Metro station and incur the extra cost in doing so (even if QCS comes in.)

Andreos1
09 Jan 2014, 10:16 am #335

I would love to see the Metro come to Washington, Penshaw (maybe even Fencehouses) and reinstate the passenger rail link to those towns and villages that was lost 50 years ago.

The problem with Washington (which we have discussed before) is the location of the town centre and existing transport hub, compared to the railway and where the station is likely to be.

Any advantage in getting the Metro to Newcastle or Gateshead, is likely to be lost for passengers in parts of Washington, who would need to go via the Galleries, to get to the Metro station and incur the extra cost in doing so (even if QCS comes in.)

idiot

09 Jan 2014, 4:05 pm #336
Another bad day for Metro.

Problem at East Boldon this afternoon.
idiot
09 Jan 2014, 4:05 pm #336

Another bad day for Metro.

Adrian

09 Jan 2014, 4:46 pm #337
(09 Jan 2014, 4:05 pm)idiot Another bad day for Metro.

Metro fault or Network Rail?

Adrian
09 Jan 2014, 4:46 pm #337

(09 Jan 2014, 4:05 pm)idiot Another bad day for Metro.

Metro fault or Network Rail?

Michael

09 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm #338
Tyne and Wear Metro
There are minor delays to trains running between Gateshead and South Shields and South Hylton due to signalling problems. Please leave extra time for your journey.

Just posted by them on facebook

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm #338

Tyne and Wear Metro
There are minor delays to trains running between Gateshead and South Shields and South Hylton due to signalling problems. Please leave extra time for your journey.

Just posted by them on facebook

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

idiot

09 Jan 2014, 7:49 pm #339
(09 Jan 2014, 4:46 pm)aureolin Metro fault or Network Rail?

Point taken.
Looks bad on Metro though.
idiot
09 Jan 2014, 7:49 pm #339

(09 Jan 2014, 4:46 pm)aureolin Metro fault or Network Rail?

Point taken.

Dan

Site Administrator

09 Jan 2014, 7:54 pm #340
(09 Jan 2014, 7:49 pm)idiot Point taken.

Agreed. No matter whose fault it is, Metro is always likely to be blamed by members of the public who have been inconvenienced by a delay.

Same with buses too. Could be any number of reasons for a delay or no-show bus, but they're always likely to blame the company.
Dan
09 Jan 2014, 7:54 pm #340

(09 Jan 2014, 7:49 pm)idiot Point taken.

Agreed. No matter whose fault it is, Metro is always likely to be blamed by members of the public who have been inconvenienced by a delay.

Same with buses too. Could be any number of reasons for a delay or no-show bus, but they're always likely to blame the company.

Pages (146) Previous 116 17 18146 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average