mb134

10 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm #1,022
(10 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm)Tommy_1581 #ScrapTheMetro
#BuildBusways
#MetroDelaysMainlineTrains
#CrapMetro
#TyneAndWeeMetro
#HashtagsOnNEB
I reckon it just needs some investment in new rolling stock, I've noticed that most delays are due to "failed trains". 

Maybe instead of doing things like this: http://www.designweek.co.uk/news/tyne-an...75.article

They hould focus on the actual service, because if they keep going as they are, there will be no passengers left to "choose the colour"
mb134
10 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm #1,022

(10 Feb 2015, 6:41 pm)Tommy_1581 #ScrapTheMetro
#BuildBusways
#MetroDelaysMainlineTrains
#CrapMetro
#TyneAndWeeMetro
#HashtagsOnNEB
I reckon it just needs some investment in new rolling stock, I've noticed that most delays are due to "failed trains". 

Maybe instead of doing things like this: http://www.designweek.co.uk/news/tyne-an...75.article

They hould focus on the actual service, because if they keep going as they are, there will be no passengers left to "choose the colour"

Adrian

10 Feb 2015, 7:34 pm #1,023
Do we not think that we only spot these delays, simply because the operator chooses to inform us of delays?

I've taken a look at the limited data available on RTT, and today doesn't look bad at all as an overall picture. I bet if we had access to real time info from all bus operators, there'd be a lot more vehicles not running to timetable.

Glancing at Arriva's during the day, and there's 10min+ delays all over the place. I'm more aware of delays Stagecoach face, as they publish them on their twitter feed now, and they seem to be really on the ball with it.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
10 Feb 2015, 7:34 pm #1,023

Do we not think that we only spot these delays, simply because the operator chooses to inform us of delays?

I've taken a look at the limited data available on RTT, and today doesn't look bad at all as an overall picture. I bet if we had access to real time info from all bus operators, there'd be a lot more vehicles not running to timetable.

Glancing at Arriva's during the day, and there's 10min+ delays all over the place. I'm more aware of delays Stagecoach face, as they publish them on their twitter feed now, and they seem to be really on the ball with it.

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm #1,024
(10 Feb 2015, 7:34 pm)aureolin Do we not think that we only spot these delays, simply because the operator chooses to inform us of delays?

The frequency of the delays is not the issue - it's the reason for the delays occurring.

If we think back to the situation Go North East had with the X7... The vehicles kept on regularly breaking down, and as soon as they could, they upgraded the service to Mercedes Citaros which were by far more suited to the job. Bus operators are in a much better position to replace rolling stock to improve reliability or to make changes to add more running time / recovery time / layover time for the same purpose. A recent example of the latter obviously being the 20/20A services!
Dan
10 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm #1,024

(10 Feb 2015, 7:34 pm)aureolin Do we not think that we only spot these delays, simply because the operator chooses to inform us of delays?

The frequency of the delays is not the issue - it's the reason for the delays occurring.

If we think back to the situation Go North East had with the X7... The vehicles kept on regularly breaking down, and as soon as they could, they upgraded the service to Mercedes Citaros which were by far more suited to the job. Bus operators are in a much better position to replace rolling stock to improve reliability or to make changes to add more running time / recovery time / layover time for the same purpose. A recent example of the latter obviously being the 20/20A services!

Adrian

10 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm #1,025
(10 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm)Dan The frequency of the delays is not the issue - it's the reason for the delays occurring.

I'm confident that they know why, but fixing the issue is another matter. The cash to replace rolling stock isn't there, and it's unlikely to be in the near future. Nexus can only work on further funding bids, and there's absolutely sod all that the operator can do about it unfortunately. 

Adrian
10 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm #1,025

(10 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm)Dan The frequency of the delays is not the issue - it's the reason for the delays occurring.

I'm confident that they know why, but fixing the issue is another matter. The cash to replace rolling stock isn't there, and it's unlikely to be in the near future. Nexus can only work on further funding bids, and there's absolutely sod all that the operator can do about it unfortunately. 

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Feb 2015, 8:02 pm #1,026
(10 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm)aureolin I'm confident that they know why, but fixing the issue is another matter. The cash to replace rolling stock isn't there, and it's unlikely to be in the near future. Nexus can only work on further funding bids, and there's absolutely sod all that the operator can do about it unfortunately. 

The issue, judging by the posts on Social Media, is related to the reliability of rolling stock. Bus operators see that they are having issues with the reliability of their rolling stock and make attempts to fix it. Clearly, as you say, Nexus (and other associated parties) are not in a position to replace the rolling stock on the Tyne & Wear Metro system, so the problems are going to be ongoing for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't wish to spark a huge debate in this thread as it's not completely relevant, but at the moment, bus operators can pace themselves and replace their rolling stock over time. The oldest stock is kept in a reserve role and doesn't usually see frontline service on demanding work. Under the Quality Contracts Scheme, the operators would not have this control. I think it's a fair enough assumption to suggest that most contracts will stipulate a Euro 5 allocation, yes? This means that the operators will either have to replace the stock completely (to retain a similar level of work as they currently have) or SCRT-fit their fleet with Eminox modifications. Both incur a cost - but the operators will have to do it regardless... Just doesn't seem like a level playing field in my eyes?
Dan
10 Feb 2015, 8:02 pm #1,026

(10 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm)aureolin I'm confident that they know why, but fixing the issue is another matter. The cash to replace rolling stock isn't there, and it's unlikely to be in the near future. Nexus can only work on further funding bids, and there's absolutely sod all that the operator can do about it unfortunately. 

The issue, judging by the posts on Social Media, is related to the reliability of rolling stock. Bus operators see that they are having issues with the reliability of their rolling stock and make attempts to fix it. Clearly, as you say, Nexus (and other associated parties) are not in a position to replace the rolling stock on the Tyne & Wear Metro system, so the problems are going to be ongoing for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't wish to spark a huge debate in this thread as it's not completely relevant, but at the moment, bus operators can pace themselves and replace their rolling stock over time. The oldest stock is kept in a reserve role and doesn't usually see frontline service on demanding work. Under the Quality Contracts Scheme, the operators would not have this control. I think it's a fair enough assumption to suggest that most contracts will stipulate a Euro 5 allocation, yes? This means that the operators will either have to replace the stock completely (to retain a similar level of work as they currently have) or SCRT-fit their fleet with Eminox modifications. Both incur a cost - but the operators will have to do it regardless... Just doesn't seem like a level playing field in my eyes?

mb134

10 Feb 2015, 8:16 pm #1,027
(10 Feb 2015, 8:02 pm)Dan The issue, judging by the posts on Social Media, is related to the reliability of rolling stock. Bus operators see that they are having issues with the reliability of their rolling stock and make attempts to fix it. Clearly, as you say, Nexus (and other associated parties) are not in a position to replace the rolling stock on the Tyne & Wear Metro system, so the problems are going to be ongoing for the foreseeable future.

Surely though, the operators of the Metro would have known some time ago that the trains would need replacing. Would it not have been sensible to, instead of refurbishing the current stock, buy new trains?

I can't imagine that since the trains were new in 1980, 35 years ago, they haven't made enough money to replace them?

I've just had a look at the London Underground rolling stock, and by the looks of it trains new in 1992 will be replaced during the 2020's by the New Tube For London. 12 years younger than Metro trains.
mb134
10 Feb 2015, 8:16 pm #1,027

(10 Feb 2015, 8:02 pm)Dan The issue, judging by the posts on Social Media, is related to the reliability of rolling stock. Bus operators see that they are having issues with the reliability of their rolling stock and make attempts to fix it. Clearly, as you say, Nexus (and other associated parties) are not in a position to replace the rolling stock on the Tyne & Wear Metro system, so the problems are going to be ongoing for the foreseeable future.

Surely though, the operators of the Metro would have known some time ago that the trains would need replacing. Would it not have been sensible to, instead of refurbishing the current stock, buy new trains?

I can't imagine that since the trains were new in 1980, 35 years ago, they haven't made enough money to replace them?

I've just had a look at the London Underground rolling stock, and by the looks of it trains new in 1992 will be replaced during the 2020's by the New Tube For London. 12 years younger than Metro trains.

Andreos1

10 Feb 2015, 9:20 pm #1,028
Delays at Byker this morning.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...er-8614437

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
10 Feb 2015, 9:20 pm #1,028

Delays at Byker this morning.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...er-8614437

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

11 Feb 2015, 11:10 am #1,029
(10 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm)mb134 I reckon it just needs some investment in new rolling stock, I've noticed that most delays are due to "failed trains". 

Wish passengers could choose the bloody colour for the trains!
omnicity4659
11 Feb 2015, 11:10 am #1,029

(10 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm)mb134 I reckon it just needs some investment in new rolling stock, I've noticed that most delays are due to "failed trains". 

Wish passengers could choose the bloody colour for the trains!

DanPicken

Banned

11 Feb 2015, 5:07 pm #1,030
(11 Feb 2015, 11:10 am)Tommy_1581 Wish passengers could choose the bloody colour for the trains!

Same we could of had multi-coloured trains.
DanPicken
11 Feb 2015, 5:07 pm #1,030

(11 Feb 2015, 11:10 am)Tommy_1581 Wish passengers could choose the bloody colour for the trains!

Same we could of had multi-coloured trains.

citaro5284

14 Feb 2015, 8:13 am #1,032
Tyne and Wear Metro ‏@My_Metro  1h1 hour ago
No trains Chillingham Road - North Shields due to a track fault. Bus Replacment901 calling at or close to stations in affected area.

This was tweeted at 0710, and since there is no trains running between South Gosforth and Newcastle anyway, me thinks to steer clear of the Metro system today, however I have noticed no facebook announcement.....
Edited 14 Feb 2015, 8:13 am by citaro5284.
citaro5284
14 Feb 2015, 8:13 am #1,032

Tyne and Wear Metro ‏@My_Metro  1h1 hour ago
No trains Chillingham Road - North Shields due to a track fault. Bus Replacment901 calling at or close to stations in affected area.

This was tweeted at 0710, and since there is no trains running between South Gosforth and Newcastle anyway, me thinks to steer clear of the Metro system today, however I have noticed no facebook announcement.....

Tom

14 Feb 2015, 9:00 am #1,033
Joke! It seems to be getting worse not better!
Tom
14 Feb 2015, 9:00 am #1,033

Joke! It seems to be getting worse not better!

Dan

Site Administrator

14 Feb 2015, 9:54 am #1,034
Go North East has provided Volvo B9TL 6117 on the above replacement. Skeleton service replacement it would seem, as an unidentified Volvo B7TL/Alexander ALX400 of Arriva NE appears to be the only other bus out...
Dan
14 Feb 2015, 9:54 am #1,034

Go North East has provided Volvo B9TL 6117 on the above replacement. Skeleton service replacement it would seem, as an unidentified Volvo B7TL/Alexander ALX400 of Arriva NE appears to be the only other bus out...

Michael

14 Feb 2015, 9:59 am #1,035
(14 Feb 2015, 9:00 am)Tom Joke! It seems to be getting worse not better!

It is, glad i don't use it! 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Feb 2015, 9:59 am #1,035

(14 Feb 2015, 9:00 am)Tom Joke! It seems to be getting worse not better!

It is, glad i don't use it! 

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

14 Feb 2015, 10:44 am #1,036
Tyne and Wear Metro
5 mins ·
Trains are now running between Chillingham Road and North Shields, but are subject to delays of up to 25 mins.
If you can, leave extra time for your journey.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Feb 2015, 10:44 am #1,036

Tyne and Wear Metro
5 mins ·
Trains are now running between Chillingham Road and North Shields, but are subject to delays of up to 25 mins.
If you can, leave extra time for your journey.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

DanPicken

Banned

14 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm #1,037
There are delays of up to 40 mins to trains running between South Gosforth and South Shields due to suspected cable theft. Oh Dear.
DanPicken
14 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm #1,037

There are delays of up to 40 mins to trains running between South Gosforth and South Shields due to suspected cable theft. Oh Dear.

14 Feb 2015, 12:30 pm #1,038
(14 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm)danpick There are delays of up to 40 mins to trains running between South Gosforth and South Shields due to suspected cable theft. Oh Dear.

Wish someone would remove all infrastructure from Metro, the services will run much smoothly.
omnicity4659
14 Feb 2015, 12:30 pm #1,038

(14 Feb 2015, 12:07 pm)danpick There are delays of up to 40 mins to trains running between South Gosforth and South Shields due to suspected cable theft. Oh Dear.

Wish someone would remove all infrastructure from Metro, the services will run much smoothly.

Michael

15 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm #1,039
Oh dear!

Tyne and Wear Metro

A train has been withdrawn from service at South Gosforth. Due to this we have a gap in the service of up to 40 mins to trains running between South Gosforth and Airport. Please leave extra time for your journey if you're travelling in the area.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm #1,039

Oh dear!

Tyne and Wear Metro

A train has been withdrawn from service at South Gosforth. Due to this we have a gap in the service of up to 40 mins to trains running between South Gosforth and Airport. Please leave extra time for your journey if you're travelling in the area.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

15 Feb 2015, 12:28 pm #1,040
(15 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm)Michael Oh dear!

Tyne and Wear Metro

No doubt it'll be every man for himself between South Gosforth and the Airport! :s
R852 PRG
15 Feb 2015, 12:28 pm #1,040

(15 Feb 2015, 12:27 pm)Michael Oh dear!

Tyne and Wear Metro

No doubt it'll be every man for himself between South Gosforth and the Airport! :s

Pages (146) Previous 151 52 53146 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average