Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Leamside Line

Leamside Line

Leamside Line

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 36 Next
Michael

24 Apr 2014, 9:03 pm #21
(24 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm)Half Pint There's been talks about that for the last 3 years...

I didnt know that its being going on for 3 for an extensiom there. :O
hopefully the extensions go ahead

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
24 Apr 2014, 9:03 pm #21

(24 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm)Half Pint There's been talks about that for the last 3 years...

I didnt know that its being going on for 3 for an extensiom there. :O
hopefully the extensions go ahead

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

lukehuggan

Unregistered

09 Jul 2014, 9:07 am #22
I'm in favour of reopening the line I only live a mile away from where it passes in Shincliffle, Belmont and Sherburn and it would be nice to see it reopened or even part of it as a heritage line
lukehuggan
09 Jul 2014, 9:07 am #22

I'm in favour of reopening the line I only live a mile away from where it passes in Shincliffle, Belmont and Sherburn and it would be nice to see it reopened or even part of it as a heritage line

Andreos1

17 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm #23
When it was the centre of the NE and connected to the world!
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/fencehouses/

The FPF would accept even half of what existed back then!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm #23

When it was the centre of the NE and connected to the world!

DanPicken

Banned

17 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm #24
The reliable way to trespass in Fencehouses.
DanPicken
17 Jan 2015, 2:52 pm #24

The reliable way to trespass in Fencehouses.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

20 Jan 2015, 8:55 pm #25
(17 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm)Andreos1 When it was the centre of the NE and connected to the world!

I heard the ancestors of the present FPF did not like the Leamside Line, as they never took a real hard line till you came along Andreos, the old FPF feared being outflanked by the Penshaw Poncey Boys and Leamside Goon Patrol...It is talked about all over by various old members of East Durhams old revolutionaries...Any truth to it Andreos, as it is widely accepted the world over the modern FPF would not stand for that kind of behaviour now...nipple twisters all round if it happened today Big Grin
MrFozz
20 Jan 2015, 8:55 pm #25

(17 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm)Andreos1 When it was the centre of the NE and connected to the world!

I heard the ancestors of the present FPF did not like the Leamside Line, as they never took a real hard line till you came along Andreos, the old FPF feared being outflanked by the Penshaw Poncey Boys and Leamside Goon Patrol...It is talked about all over by various old members of East Durhams old revolutionaries...Any truth to it Andreos, as it is widely accepted the world over the modern FPF would not stand for that kind of behaviour now...nipple twisters all round if it happened today Big Grin

Andreos1

05 Apr 2017, 7:37 am #26
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-region...-1-8475530

Chaos in Penshaw!

Andreos1
05 Apr 2017, 7:37 am #26

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/our-region...-1-8475530

Chaos in Penshaw!

Adrian

29 Oct 2021, 9:05 am #27
As predicted, another knock back for the project to reopen the Leamside line: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...side-line/, with the Government stating: "good potential in terms of transport and socio-economic benefits, the overall cost of the re-instatement (circa £600m) remains prohibitive”

As usual, there remains plenty of money when it comes to roads, with the A66 project for example being given £1 billion.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Oct 2021, 9:05 am #27

As predicted, another knock back for the project to reopen the Leamside line: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...side-line/, with the Government stating: "good potential in terms of transport and socio-economic benefits, the overall cost of the re-instatement (circa £600m) remains prohibitive”

As usual, there remains plenty of money when it comes to roads, with the A66 project for example being given £1 billion.

Andreos1

29 Oct 2021, 9:23 am #28
(29 Oct 2021, 9:05 am)Adrian As predicted, another knock back for the project to reopen the Leamside line: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...side-line/, with the Government stating: "good potential in terms of transport and socio-economic benefits, the overall cost of the re-instatement (circa £600m) remains prohibitive”

Inevitable and ultimately disappointing. 

However, if I was to play devils advocate here and pretend I was in charge of a local bus operator - I would be all over the report, the data within in, use it all and take advantage of it.
If the report states there are enough people for a train load of commuters, day trippers and whatever else - what could I do commercially with a bus?
What sort of service could I run along that corridor to take people to the places the train would have done?
What can I do to ensure that those socio-economic benefits fall in to my bus operators purse?
What can I do differently with my current network? What can I add to the current network? 
How can I take advantage of all of this free data that may not be worth an investment of £600m - but could be worth investing a few hundred grand of resource into?

Unfortunately, I've a feeling the bus operators mindset will be as closed as the governments...

Andreos1
29 Oct 2021, 9:23 am #28

(29 Oct 2021, 9:05 am)Adrian As predicted, another knock back for the project to reopen the Leamside line: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...side-line/, with the Government stating: "good potential in terms of transport and socio-economic benefits, the overall cost of the re-instatement (circa £600m) remains prohibitive”

Inevitable and ultimately disappointing. 

However, if I was to play devils advocate here and pretend I was in charge of a local bus operator - I would be all over the report, the data within in, use it all and take advantage of it.
If the report states there are enough people for a train load of commuters, day trippers and whatever else - what could I do commercially with a bus?
What sort of service could I run along that corridor to take people to the places the train would have done?
What can I do to ensure that those socio-economic benefits fall in to my bus operators purse?
What can I do differently with my current network? What can I add to the current network? 
How can I take advantage of all of this free data that may not be worth an investment of £600m - but could be worth investing a few hundred grand of resource into?

Unfortunately, I've a feeling the bus operators mindset will be as closed as the governments...

Storx

29 Oct 2021, 3:52 pm #29
(29 Oct 2021, 9:23 am)Andreos1 Inevitable and ultimately disappointing. 

Not sure why a bus company would want to look at that data. Rail and buses just aren't the same. It's not useful information so it'll just be skewed massively since there's a totally different demographic.

Car users will never move to a bus which takes longer than driving as it is from the likes of Washington as the bus will never be quicker and there's already the X1.

Buses are slow.
Cars are direct.
Trains are the quickest, as long as you happen to want to be where it goes.
Storx
29 Oct 2021, 3:52 pm #29

(29 Oct 2021, 9:23 am)Andreos1 Inevitable and ultimately disappointing. 

Not sure why a bus company would want to look at that data. Rail and buses just aren't the same. It's not useful information so it'll just be skewed massively since there's a totally different demographic.

Car users will never move to a bus which takes longer than driving as it is from the likes of Washington as the bus will never be quicker and there's already the X1.

Buses are slow.
Cars are direct.

Andreos1

29 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm #30
(29 Oct 2021, 3:52 pm)Storx Not sure why a bus company would want to look at that data. Rail and buses just aren't the same. It's not useful information so it'll just be skewed massively since there's a totally different demographic.

Buses are slow.
Cars are direct.

A train from Fencehouses to Newcastle isn't going to be as attractive as a car, but a train from Fencehouses to a major employment site like Follingsby or the Amp is going to be as attractive and certainly more direct than a car and could certainly attract numbers.
Find a bus route which is quicker than the 4 (or the 4 and 50 or 56) and it becomes a more viable alternative to the car. 

Look at the other station sites in various directions and repeat the exercise. 

Cars have more flexibility than trains. As do buses. If the numbers stack up for trains and its a viable alternative to the car, then it can be just as viable for the train.

Andreos1
29 Oct 2021, 5:02 pm #30

(29 Oct 2021, 3:52 pm)Storx Not sure why a bus company would want to look at that data. Rail and buses just aren't the same. It's not useful information so it'll just be skewed massively since there's a totally different demographic.

Buses are slow.
Cars are direct.

A train from Fencehouses to Newcastle isn't going to be as attractive as a car, but a train from Fencehouses to a major employment site like Follingsby or the Amp is going to be as attractive and certainly more direct than a car and could certainly attract numbers.
Find a bus route which is quicker than the 4 (or the 4 and 50 or 56) and it becomes a more viable alternative to the car. 

Look at the other station sites in various directions and repeat the exercise. 

Cars have more flexibility than trains. As do buses. If the numbers stack up for trains and its a viable alternative to the car, then it can be just as viable for the train.

busmanT

29 Oct 2021, 10:52 pm #31

The restoring your railway fund only has £500m to fund all the reopenings, so it’s no surprise that the £600m bid for Leamside has been rejected. Don’t forget that the north east has got funding for the Northumberland line so we’ve not been totally forgotten.
busmanT
29 Oct 2021, 10:52 pm #31

The restoring your railway fund only has £500m to fund all the reopenings, so it’s no surprise that the £600m bid for Leamside has been rejected. Don’t forget that the north east has got funding for the Northumberland line so we’ve not been totally forgotten.

30 Oct 2021, 8:21 am #32
(29 Oct 2021, 10:52 pm)busmanT The restoring your railway fund only has £500m to fund all the reopenings, so it’s no surprise that the £600m bid for Leamside has been rejected. Don’t forget that the north east has got funding for the Northumberland line so we’ve not been totally forgotten.
Typical of regime smoke and mirrors, whilst the Leamside line may have been included in that elimination process, it has been side swiped as it has been the table from 2018 with the DfT plans for increased capacity for the ECML.

Very convenient for Shapps to drop it into a mix where it would suffer instant elimination due to the length and costs of electrification, which was the Network Rail plan submitted in 2018.

It also nails shut the bid for Ferryhill to have a station, that was only remotely possible if the Leamside had a service from Newcastle.

As for the Ashington line, that has been batted about since 1992, and no matter how the regime spins it, the money for that isn't new money at all.,
54APhotography
30 Oct 2021, 8:21 am #32

(29 Oct 2021, 10:52 pm)busmanT The restoring your railway fund only has £500m to fund all the reopenings, so it’s no surprise that the £600m bid for Leamside has been rejected. Don’t forget that the north east has got funding for the Northumberland line so we’ve not been totally forgotten.
Typical of regime smoke and mirrors, whilst the Leamside line may have been included in that elimination process, it has been side swiped as it has been the table from 2018 with the DfT plans for increased capacity for the ECML.

Very convenient for Shapps to drop it into a mix where it would suffer instant elimination due to the length and costs of electrification, which was the Network Rail plan submitted in 2018.

It also nails shut the bid for Ferryhill to have a station, that was only remotely possible if the Leamside had a service from Newcastle.

As for the Ashington line, that has been batted about since 1992, and no matter how the regime spins it, the money for that isn't new money at all.,

Adrian

31 Oct 2021, 7:03 pm #33

I guess in reality, it's no more ambitious than NECA bidding for more of a quarter of the pot of money available for BSIPs. Hopefully there's a plan B for that one though, whereas even the partial reopening of the Leamside seems to have been ruled out of this one.

This is the problem when the Government's 'levelling up' agenda is that everything needs to go through a competitive bidding process, rather than having deliverables being based on socio-economic benefit and need. It's an awful process, a one that forces regions to in-fight amongst themselves about which communities have the greatest need. Unless it changes, I'd suggest we have little hope of the North East getting the significant infrastructure investment it needs (apart from more tarmac)

Adrian
31 Oct 2021, 7:03 pm #33

I guess in reality, it's no more ambitious than NECA bidding for more of a quarter of the pot of money available for BSIPs. Hopefully there's a plan B for that one though, whereas even the partial reopening of the Leamside seems to have been ruled out of this one.

This is the problem when the Government's 'levelling up' agenda is that everything needs to go through a competitive bidding process, rather than having deliverables being based on socio-economic benefit and need. It's an awful process, a one that forces regions to in-fight amongst themselves about which communities have the greatest need. Unless it changes, I'd suggest we have little hope of the North East getting the significant infrastructure investment it needs (apart from more tarmac)

31 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm #34
The reality nobody will accept is that the Leamside was on the table long before this pointless fund was devised. Side swiped deliberately meaning no more capacity on the ecml therefore adding to their desire to end HS2 at Manchester. Without the line this region is finished, no net zero, no serious investment. Buses are not the answer to this region's problems, rail is. This is typical of voting Tory, and this region will pay a heavy price for that.
54APhotography
31 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm #34

The reality nobody will accept is that the Leamside was on the table long before this pointless fund was devised. Side swiped deliberately meaning no more capacity on the ecml therefore adding to their desire to end HS2 at Manchester. Without the line this region is finished, no net zero, no serious investment. Buses are not the answer to this region's problems, rail is. This is typical of voting Tory, and this region will pay a heavy price for that.

Adrian

31 Oct 2021, 7:25 pm #35
(31 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm)54APhotography The reality nobody will accept is that the Leamside was on the table long before this pointless fund was devised. Side swiped deliberately meaning no more capacity on the ecml therefore adding to their desire to end HS2 at Manchester. Without the line this region is finished, no net zero, no serious investment. Buses are not the answer to this region's problems, rail is. This is typical of voting Tory, and this region will pay a heavy price for that.

I lived in Washington for most of my life, so know how long it has been campaigned for, and also the disappointment when the successive Governments have failed to act.  

The line would provide so many benefits; not just to the ECML capacity, but also to be able to create the Wearside loop of the Metro and even allow Nissan to transport by Rail freight rather than diesel HGVs. Follingsby is also an expanding business park at last, and the amount of jobs Amazon has created there would be an ideal opportunity for a Metro station. It's literally in the perfect place.

Adrian
31 Oct 2021, 7:25 pm #35

(31 Oct 2021, 7:16 pm)54APhotography The reality nobody will accept is that the Leamside was on the table long before this pointless fund was devised. Side swiped deliberately meaning no more capacity on the ecml therefore adding to their desire to end HS2 at Manchester. Without the line this region is finished, no net zero, no serious investment. Buses are not the answer to this region's problems, rail is. This is typical of voting Tory, and this region will pay a heavy price for that.

I lived in Washington for most of my life, so know how long it has been campaigned for, and also the disappointment when the successive Governments have failed to act.  

The line would provide so many benefits; not just to the ECML capacity, but also to be able to create the Wearside loop of the Metro and even allow Nissan to transport by Rail freight rather than diesel HGVs. Follingsby is also an expanding business park at last, and the amount of jobs Amazon has created there would be an ideal opportunity for a Metro station. It's literally in the perfect place.

01 Nov 2021, 8:24 am #36
(31 Oct 2021, 7:25 pm)Adrian I lived in Washington for most of my life, so know how long it has been campaigned for, and also the disappointment when the successive Governments have failed to act.  

Agree entirely and the Amazon subject was laid in front of the DfT when planning was being considered, the response was it would form part of a new transport network to inject prosperity.. Grant Shapps said that...  Network Rail had twice submitted plans, one electrified, one not. In fact Shapps himself last year said it was crucial for future HS2 trains running to Newcastle, hinting Trans Pennine could run via Washington as a method of increasing overall capacity. Then this fund was dreamt up. Six projects already close to signing off were thrown into it including Leamside. It stood no chance in bare financial terms.

It is far more than just another old railway line, without it we cant expect any improvement of train services, cant have any future HS2 trains (if that is even likely now), and the meagre investment won't grow because our transport links can't cope..
54APhotography
01 Nov 2021, 8:24 am #36

(31 Oct 2021, 7:25 pm)Adrian I lived in Washington for most of my life, so know how long it has been campaigned for, and also the disappointment when the successive Governments have failed to act.  

Agree entirely and the Amazon subject was laid in front of the DfT when planning was being considered, the response was it would form part of a new transport network to inject prosperity.. Grant Shapps said that...  Network Rail had twice submitted plans, one electrified, one not. In fact Shapps himself last year said it was crucial for future HS2 trains running to Newcastle, hinting Trans Pennine could run via Washington as a method of increasing overall capacity. Then this fund was dreamt up. Six projects already close to signing off were thrown into it including Leamside. It stood no chance in bare financial terms.

It is far more than just another old railway line, without it we cant expect any improvement of train services, cant have any future HS2 trains (if that is even likely now), and the meagre investment won't grow because our transport links can't cope..

busmanT

01 Nov 2021, 6:40 pm #37
(01 Nov 2021, 8:24 am)54APhotography Agree entirely and the Amazon subject was laid in front of the DfT when planning was being considered, the response was it would form part of a new transport network to inject prosperity.. Grant Shapps said that...  Network Rail had twice submitted plans, one electrified, one not. In fact Shapps himself last year said it was crucial for future HS2 trains running to Newcastle, hinting Trans Pennine could run via Washington as a method of increasing overall capacity. Then this fund was dreamt up. Six projects already close to signing off were thrown into it including Leamside. It stood no chance in bare financial terms.

Might the Leamside line feature in the forthcoming Integrated Rail Plan?
busmanT
01 Nov 2021, 6:40 pm #37

(01 Nov 2021, 8:24 am)54APhotography Agree entirely and the Amazon subject was laid in front of the DfT when planning was being considered, the response was it would form part of a new transport network to inject prosperity.. Grant Shapps said that...  Network Rail had twice submitted plans, one electrified, one not. In fact Shapps himself last year said it was crucial for future HS2 trains running to Newcastle, hinting Trans Pennine could run via Washington as a method of increasing overall capacity. Then this fund was dreamt up. Six projects already close to signing off were thrown into it including Leamside. It stood no chance in bare financial terms.

Might the Leamside line feature in the forthcoming Integrated Rail Plan?

01 Nov 2021, 7:03 pm #38
I don't think the money will come from this regime. The times I banged on about this when European development money could have been partly available, just infuriates me why people of this region gave an ounce of trust to the successive régimes since 2010 that have strangled every ounce of investment out of this region.
54APhotography
01 Nov 2021, 7:03 pm #38

I don't think the money will come from this regime. The times I banged on about this when European development money could have been partly available, just infuriates me why people of this region gave an ounce of trust to the successive régimes since 2010 that have strangled every ounce of investment out of this region.

V514DFT

01 Nov 2021, 7:21 pm #39
Especially with all this Cop-26 and saving the planet b****ks,you'd think re-opening lines and getting less vehicles on the road would be a welcomed plan

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
01 Nov 2021, 7:21 pm #39

Especially with all this Cop-26 and saving the planet b****ks,you'd think re-opening lines and getting less vehicles on the road would be a welcomed plan

Kind Regards
Tez

Andreos1

01 Nov 2021, 9:27 pm #40
(01 Nov 2021, 7:03 pm)54APhotography I don't think the money will come from this regime. The times I banged on about this when European development money could have been partly available, just infuriates me why people of this region gave an ounce of trust to the successive régimes since 2010 that have strangled every ounce of investment out of this region.

Not a tory or fan of them by any stretch of the imagination. But would the scheme be eligible for ERDF money?
Bearing in mind when the line was closed and the membership for the 25 years or so that followed.

Andreos1
01 Nov 2021, 9:27 pm #40

(01 Nov 2021, 7:03 pm)54APhotography I don't think the money will come from this regime. The times I banged on about this when European development money could have been partly available, just infuriates me why people of this region gave an ounce of trust to the successive régimes since 2010 that have strangled every ounce of investment out of this region.

Not a tory or fan of them by any stretch of the imagination. But would the scheme be eligible for ERDF money?
Bearing in mind when the line was closed and the membership for the 25 years or so that followed.

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average