Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Mobile Apps

Mobile Apps

Mobile Apps

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

03 Nov 2013, 5:25 pm #3
(03 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm)CatsFast101 Picking on a couple of points. I think the reason get around is featured on the app is that you have to wait 48 hours (well you did previously) before you could use your ticket, not ideal when getting on a bus is often unplanned and generally you'll get on sometimes just get a day ticket if your making a few journeys or a return etc. So that was always a barrier when I get Buzzfares on the card. Also key machine readers can break and then what, pay the single fare? I know this affects a fraction of vehicles but it could still always be you. I've pointed out on this very forum when a friend has had to pay the single fare as the key card reader isn't displaying her annual ticket, that's one major problem with me in smart ticketing. As if you buy a day ticket you often won't keep any spare change. I mean smart ticketing, apps/ smartcards, is a great improvement but these issues with technology breaking down isn't good.

I've also noted the fact that anyone could a purchase a get around day ticket on the app and it doesn't prompt, remind or warn that you'll need a get around key card also, not only does that mean that passenger may mistakenly buy one but also that could even confuse kids who may not take their key card and just use their mobile, which wouldn't be vaild.

I have an iPad which I use for apps, I also have a Samsung galaxy S first edition but it's old now and doesn't like downloading apps so I keep most apps on iPad and the Key Mobile app could do with some tweaks, the information is okay but little things like wrong brands, wrong route, showing defunct bus routes could be ironed out. However it is generally a good app. The arriva M-Ticket app I had on my Galaxy S III for a time (until I broke it) wasnt great at all, really confusing and non user friendly even for someone like me who is good with technology. I haven't got the arriva app anymore, so changes may have been made, but if not it needs some real work on it.

I believe after the 1st ticket takes 48 hours, but then you can top up that said ticket on the bus from then on. Understand the cards/readers can sometimes not work, but I'd say the fault tolerance would be the same using a mobile app. I just think it'd surely be a better method of doing things if the Get Around products were an additional entitlement for app users. Then GNE could give someone that entitlement on a per-user basis after their entitlement to purchase such tickets has been validated (i.e. proof of education).

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
03 Nov 2013, 5:25 pm #3

(03 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm)CatsFast101 Picking on a couple of points. I think the reason get around is featured on the app is that you have to wait 48 hours (well you did previously) before you could use your ticket, not ideal when getting on a bus is often unplanned and generally you'll get on sometimes just get a day ticket if your making a few journeys or a return etc. So that was always a barrier when I get Buzzfares on the card. Also key machine readers can break and then what, pay the single fare? I know this affects a fraction of vehicles but it could still always be you. I've pointed out on this very forum when a friend has had to pay the single fare as the key card reader isn't displaying her annual ticket, that's one major problem with me in smart ticketing. As if you buy a day ticket you often won't keep any spare change. I mean smart ticketing, apps/ smartcards, is a great improvement but these issues with technology breaking down isn't good.

I've also noted the fact that anyone could a purchase a get around day ticket on the app and it doesn't prompt, remind or warn that you'll need a get around key card also, not only does that mean that passenger may mistakenly buy one but also that could even confuse kids who may not take their key card and just use their mobile, which wouldn't be vaild.

I have an iPad which I use for apps, I also have a Samsung galaxy S first edition but it's old now and doesn't like downloading apps so I keep most apps on iPad and the Key Mobile app could do with some tweaks, the information is okay but little things like wrong brands, wrong route, showing defunct bus routes could be ironed out. However it is generally a good app. The arriva M-Ticket app I had on my Galaxy S III for a time (until I broke it) wasnt great at all, really confusing and non user friendly even for someone like me who is good with technology. I haven't got the arriva app anymore, so changes may have been made, but if not it needs some real work on it.

I believe after the 1st ticket takes 48 hours, but then you can top up that said ticket on the bus from then on. Understand the cards/readers can sometimes not work, but I'd say the fault tolerance would be the same using a mobile app. I just think it'd surely be a better method of doing things if the Get Around products were an additional entitlement for app users. Then GNE could give someone that entitlement on a per-user basis after their entitlement to purchase such tickets has been validated (i.e. proof of education).

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
Mobile Apps - by Adrian - 03 Nov 2013, 3:52 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by CatsFast101 - 03 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by Adrian - 03 Nov 2013, 5:25 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by Adrian - 17 Nov 2013, 11:34 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by tyresmoke - 18 Nov 2013, 8:06 am
RE: Mobile Apps - by gtom - 18 Nov 2013, 11:05 am
Re: RE: Mobile Apps - by Adrian - 18 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by gtom - 18 Nov 2013, 12:40 pm
RE: Mobile Apps - by GuyParkRoyal - 19 Nov 2013, 7:58 pm