Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (153) Previous 1 2 3153 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

25 Dec 2012, 11:08 am #21
In regards to the 230:
I think Go North East introducing a 230 service would be a little irrational. Given that PYGALL'S COACHES now operate the service - perhaps not to a great frequency, but for its usage, its good nonetheless - it would be totally unfair for Go North East to storm in and take the service right back.
Josh told me about Reays copying routes but running them 7 or so minutes earlier than the original. I believe he said something about the route number being similar, but not the same.
Go North East running a mixture of the 202 and 230 service under the number of '230' just takes the mick a little, in my opinion. No doubt GNE will be able to maintain decent passenger numbers, and they wouldn't struggle at all, unlike PYGALL'S. Granted it was 'years ago' when you suggested that, so I shouldn't ramble on a great deal about services now.

In regards to the X9:
Current suggestions have been to run it from Sunderland - to provide those who live in that area with a link to either Middlesbrough (both Josh and I suggested this) or Newcastle (which I also suggested). If the withdrawal of the X3 does go through, I could only imagine that this would be an even better idea. Running it from Peterlee, I can't agree with. One already serves Peterlee, neither serve Sunderland at present. Perhaps would be nice to see it link up to Hartlepool too, but if it ever managed to go from Sunderland, it couldn't happen. That would drastically increase the PVR of the route, and Go North East just don't have the sufficient amount of vehicles to do so. Not only that, but people's journey time would be dramatically increased too. Those wanting to travel from Newcastle to Boro would perhaps have to get the one beforehand to get there at the same time as they do now (or perhaps even the one before that)!
Dan
25 Dec 2012, 11:08 am #21

In regards to the 230:
I think Go North East introducing a 230 service would be a little irrational. Given that PYGALL'S COACHES now operate the service - perhaps not to a great frequency, but for its usage, its good nonetheless - it would be totally unfair for Go North East to storm in and take the service right back.
Josh told me about Reays copying routes but running them 7 or so minutes earlier than the original. I believe he said something about the route number being similar, but not the same.
Go North East running a mixture of the 202 and 230 service under the number of '230' just takes the mick a little, in my opinion. No doubt GNE will be able to maintain decent passenger numbers, and they wouldn't struggle at all, unlike PYGALL'S. Granted it was 'years ago' when you suggested that, so I shouldn't ramble on a great deal about services now.

In regards to the X9:
Current suggestions have been to run it from Sunderland - to provide those who live in that area with a link to either Middlesbrough (both Josh and I suggested this) or Newcastle (which I also suggested). If the withdrawal of the X3 does go through, I could only imagine that this would be an even better idea. Running it from Peterlee, I can't agree with. One already serves Peterlee, neither serve Sunderland at present. Perhaps would be nice to see it link up to Hartlepool too, but if it ever managed to go from Sunderland, it couldn't happen. That would drastically increase the PVR of the route, and Go North East just don't have the sufficient amount of vehicles to do so. Not only that, but people's journey time would be dramatically increased too. Those wanting to travel from Newcastle to Boro would perhaps have to get the one beforehand to get there at the same time as they do now (or perhaps even the one before that)!

Kuyoyo

25 Dec 2012, 2:01 pm #22
(25 Dec 2012, 11:08 am)Daniel In regards to the X9:

As would routing the X9/X10 to serve Sunderland, which will NEVER happen for 3 very good reasons:

1) The main selling point about the service is that it is more direct, stops closer to the shops in Newcastle and runs more frequencly that the train between Newcastle and Middlesbrough. It's also cheaper than driving a car up there.

2) The increase in the number of vehicles needed, plus your 'assumed' running time, would make the route unprofitable. Also, your estimated running time 'in both directions' would take the route behond both the European Driving hours limit (4hr 30 mins) and the domestic driving hours limit (5hr 30 mins) before the driver must have his/her break. As the X9/X10 is operated by buses fitted with Tachographs, it's covered by the European drivers hours, so as such the drivers can just 9 hours a day, which means they could in theory do 3 round trips on either the X9 or X10 during the day now.

3) The volume of passengers travelling between Teesside and Sunderland would not jusitfy the re-routing. Plus, diverting it would drive people away as they wouldn't want to be sat on a bus for anymore than 2 hours (hence why Arriva's X93 is busy in the summer compared to the 5, the X93 does Middlesbrough-Whitby in just over an hour, the 5 takes 2 hours).

Add to the fact, the X10 has never served Sunderland. Even in the days on joint operation with United on both Newcastle-Middlesbrough routes (Northern also operated certain journeys on the X1), it has never served the city. Also, when the suggestion has been mentioned previously to Go North East on Facebook, they have turned it down for the reasons mentioned above plus the lose of the 10 minutes (20 on certain afternoon trips) 'turn around' at both end of the route.

So, in short, it's a pipe dream that will stay as such.
Kuyoyo
25 Dec 2012, 2:01 pm #22

(25 Dec 2012, 11:08 am)Daniel In regards to the X9:

As would routing the X9/X10 to serve Sunderland, which will NEVER happen for 3 very good reasons:

1) The main selling point about the service is that it is more direct, stops closer to the shops in Newcastle and runs more frequencly that the train between Newcastle and Middlesbrough. It's also cheaper than driving a car up there.

2) The increase in the number of vehicles needed, plus your 'assumed' running time, would make the route unprofitable. Also, your estimated running time 'in both directions' would take the route behond both the European Driving hours limit (4hr 30 mins) and the domestic driving hours limit (5hr 30 mins) before the driver must have his/her break. As the X9/X10 is operated by buses fitted with Tachographs, it's covered by the European drivers hours, so as such the drivers can just 9 hours a day, which means they could in theory do 3 round trips on either the X9 or X10 during the day now.

3) The volume of passengers travelling between Teesside and Sunderland would not jusitfy the re-routing. Plus, diverting it would drive people away as they wouldn't want to be sat on a bus for anymore than 2 hours (hence why Arriva's X93 is busy in the summer compared to the 5, the X93 does Middlesbrough-Whitby in just over an hour, the 5 takes 2 hours).

Add to the fact, the X10 has never served Sunderland. Even in the days on joint operation with United on both Newcastle-Middlesbrough routes (Northern also operated certain journeys on the X1), it has never served the city. Also, when the suggestion has been mentioned previously to Go North East on Facebook, they have turned it down for the reasons mentioned above plus the lose of the 10 minutes (20 on certain afternoon trips) 'turn around' at both end of the route.

So, in short, it's a pipe dream that will stay as such.

Michael

25 Dec 2012, 2:16 pm #23
We all know that it wont happen but it was a suggestion, hence y its under the thread Service Suggestions.

Would be nice to see a new service going from Sunderland to Middlesbrough

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Dec 2012, 2:16 pm #23

We all know that it wont happen but it was a suggestion, hence y its under the thread Service Suggestions.

Would be nice to see a new service going from Sunderland to Middlesbrough

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm #24
(25 Dec 2012, 2:01 pm)Kuyoyo So, in short, it's a pipe dream that will stay as such.

Now, now, we're all entitled to agree and disagree with one another on these forums, but that manner is appalling. We're all here for the same reason - because we're enthusiasts of buses. It's nice that we can discuss and debate certain aspects of the bus industry in the North East and our discussions can be quite constructive at times in regards to disagreement, but I really do object to that response - it's hardly constructive, it's plainly rude. I vaguely remember you having a similar attitude towards me on Flickr one time. On a serious note (pointing this question towards administrators of the site), are there any rules in place about treating each other with a little bit of respect? I think, if there isn't, now would be a good time to start piecing together some rules to avoid this kind of manner being demonstrated in the future.

To retain the standard of this thread prior to that response, I shall comment back on what you've said:

1) I agree, I would say that the main selling point of the X9/X10 services is that it's direct. What you don't seem to understand is that those who live in Sunderland do not have a 'direct' service to Middlesbrough - they have to make their way to Newcastle or Peterlee (albeit only being one bus journey away) and then get the bus from there. As I said before, if the withdrawal of the X3 service does go ahead, then those who live in Sunderland will essentially not have a 'direct' service to Newcastle either! They will either be forced to get the Metro - which, perhaps people can't travel on due to the ticket they've purchased or pass they hold (i.e. concessionary pass without the £25 Metro add-on) - or use the 56, which, as we all know, is a hell of a lot longer than the X3.

2) You can't forecast now whether a service would be profitable or not. Nobody can estimate how profitable the service would be because the services have never included Sunderland in the past. For all we know, those who board the bus at Newcastle could mainly be from Sunderland. A survey, at the very least, should be conducted before making such a statement. My assumed running time - which admittedly, perhaps isn't accurate to the very minute - is below the European Driving Limit. At present, a round trip (assuming that the service did not have a small break at either end) is approximately 2hrs 40mins. With the additional 80 minutes added to the journey, that would be 4hrs dead, giving a 30 minute leeway on my assumed running time... That's more than enough leeway.

3) We live in a country which we can't be particularly picky. In short, if the bus service is cheaper than a train, I think given the current recession in our country, folk will still choose the bus service.

A little contradictory for you to say the X10 has never served Sunderland. You're saying how unprofitable the service would be if it did serve Sunderland; as I said above, you can't predict something if it hasn't happened in the past and you have not conducted a survey in Sunderland to find out if people would use the service or not. I don't recall ever seeing the suggestion being passed onto Go North East on Facebook before, and that comes from someone who is on there daily, helping out when Go North East are either offline or unresponsive for a given amount of time. Go North East frequently receive service suggestions on their Facebook page, and they are always told to do the same thing: e-mail them. Those who operate and manage the Facebook page don't have the ability to straight up say yes or no like that - it isn't in their job description. They're there to pass on information regarding service disruptions, to answer queries regarding timings and to answer queries regarding prices. I have previously asked them about a specific service - a recent example would be the QEH shuttle service - and they have apologised and said that they can't help because they don't have the knowledge. They're not there for enthusiast questions, they're there for public queries where an answer can be easily obtained via their website, Traveline or a timetable.

I think we should slowly drift away from mine and Josh's suggestions now and move onto other people's suggestions. If it is causing controversy like this, it's best to stay away from those services. As Michael said, suggestions listed here are what we'd LIKE to see, not those that we are proposing will happen any time soon.
Dan
25 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm #24

(25 Dec 2012, 2:01 pm)Kuyoyo So, in short, it's a pipe dream that will stay as such.

Now, now, we're all entitled to agree and disagree with one another on these forums, but that manner is appalling. We're all here for the same reason - because we're enthusiasts of buses. It's nice that we can discuss and debate certain aspects of the bus industry in the North East and our discussions can be quite constructive at times in regards to disagreement, but I really do object to that response - it's hardly constructive, it's plainly rude. I vaguely remember you having a similar attitude towards me on Flickr one time. On a serious note (pointing this question towards administrators of the site), are there any rules in place about treating each other with a little bit of respect? I think, if there isn't, now would be a good time to start piecing together some rules to avoid this kind of manner being demonstrated in the future.

To retain the standard of this thread prior to that response, I shall comment back on what you've said:

1) I agree, I would say that the main selling point of the X9/X10 services is that it's direct. What you don't seem to understand is that those who live in Sunderland do not have a 'direct' service to Middlesbrough - they have to make their way to Newcastle or Peterlee (albeit only being one bus journey away) and then get the bus from there. As I said before, if the withdrawal of the X3 service does go ahead, then those who live in Sunderland will essentially not have a 'direct' service to Newcastle either! They will either be forced to get the Metro - which, perhaps people can't travel on due to the ticket they've purchased or pass they hold (i.e. concessionary pass without the £25 Metro add-on) - or use the 56, which, as we all know, is a hell of a lot longer than the X3.

2) You can't forecast now whether a service would be profitable or not. Nobody can estimate how profitable the service would be because the services have never included Sunderland in the past. For all we know, those who board the bus at Newcastle could mainly be from Sunderland. A survey, at the very least, should be conducted before making such a statement. My assumed running time - which admittedly, perhaps isn't accurate to the very minute - is below the European Driving Limit. At present, a round trip (assuming that the service did not have a small break at either end) is approximately 2hrs 40mins. With the additional 80 minutes added to the journey, that would be 4hrs dead, giving a 30 minute leeway on my assumed running time... That's more than enough leeway.

3) We live in a country which we can't be particularly picky. In short, if the bus service is cheaper than a train, I think given the current recession in our country, folk will still choose the bus service.

A little contradictory for you to say the X10 has never served Sunderland. You're saying how unprofitable the service would be if it did serve Sunderland; as I said above, you can't predict something if it hasn't happened in the past and you have not conducted a survey in Sunderland to find out if people would use the service or not. I don't recall ever seeing the suggestion being passed onto Go North East on Facebook before, and that comes from someone who is on there daily, helping out when Go North East are either offline or unresponsive for a given amount of time. Go North East frequently receive service suggestions on their Facebook page, and they are always told to do the same thing: e-mail them. Those who operate and manage the Facebook page don't have the ability to straight up say yes or no like that - it isn't in their job description. They're there to pass on information regarding service disruptions, to answer queries regarding timings and to answer queries regarding prices. I have previously asked them about a specific service - a recent example would be the QEH shuttle service - and they have apologised and said that they can't help because they don't have the knowledge. They're not there for enthusiast questions, they're there for public queries where an answer can be easily obtained via their website, Traveline or a timetable.

I think we should slowly drift away from mine and Josh's suggestions now and move onto other people's suggestions. If it is causing controversy like this, it's best to stay away from those services. As Michael said, suggestions listed here are what we'd LIKE to see, not those that we are proposing will happen any time soon.

Michael

25 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm #25
Would anyone agree with me that merging the 36 and 42 would make a better service, i know the 42 isnt the most reliably service but i think because its a Loop Service.
This would be my service: 42 - Town End Farm - Downhill - Hylton Red House - Marley Pots - Southwick - Sunderland City Centre - Grangetown - Hollycarrside- Ryhope - Tunstall Village - Silksworth - Every 10 mins

Evening - Normal Evening service but continues on Full route.
Sunday - Extend from City Centre every 30 mins to Town end farm as 42A (Current 42 runs every 15 mins)

Nexus can still run the 135/136.

Add the 2 current times for Journeys on the 36 and 42 = 46 mins (only 1 way) - 46+46 = 92 * 10 = 9.2 = So it would require 10 Buses and still leave 1 spare.
----------------------------
My route for the 73 - Park lane - Fawcett Street - St Mary's way - Queen Alexandra Bridge,Sunderland Enterprise Park east end, Hylton Riverside Retail Park,Sunderland Ent Pk, Defender Ct, Castletown,Sunrise Enterprise Park, Waterview Park,Teal Farm estate,Washington District 15 Exit,Peel Retail Park, Sulgrave,Washington Concord Bus Station,Coach Road Estate - Washington Galleries

I know i posted it earlier in the thread but im bringing all my idea's as 1 post.
---------------------------------------------

202 I would withdraw it over loops with other services
Peterlee - X35
Dalton Park - 61
New Seaham - 60/61
Sunderland to Murton - Dalton Park - New Seaham - Seaham - Ryhope - Grangetown - Sunderland - All covered by 39,42,60,61
--------------
Merge most of the East Durham Buses, Which can be done.

There's my idea's what does everyone think?
Edited 25 Dec 2012, 4:33 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Dec 2012, 4:30 pm #25

Would anyone agree with me that merging the 36 and 42 would make a better service, i know the 42 isnt the most reliably service but i think because its a Loop Service.
This would be my service: 42 - Town End Farm - Downhill - Hylton Red House - Marley Pots - Southwick - Sunderland City Centre - Grangetown - Hollycarrside- Ryhope - Tunstall Village - Silksworth - Every 10 mins

Evening - Normal Evening service but continues on Full route.
Sunday - Extend from City Centre every 30 mins to Town end farm as 42A (Current 42 runs every 15 mins)

Nexus can still run the 135/136.

Add the 2 current times for Journeys on the 36 and 42 = 46 mins (only 1 way) - 46+46 = 92 * 10 = 9.2 = So it would require 10 Buses and still leave 1 spare.
----------------------------
My route for the 73 - Park lane - Fawcett Street - St Mary's way - Queen Alexandra Bridge,Sunderland Enterprise Park east end, Hylton Riverside Retail Park,Sunderland Ent Pk, Defender Ct, Castletown,Sunrise Enterprise Park, Waterview Park,Teal Farm estate,Washington District 15 Exit,Peel Retail Park, Sulgrave,Washington Concord Bus Station,Coach Road Estate - Washington Galleries

I know i posted it earlier in the thread but im bringing all my idea's as 1 post.
---------------------------------------------

202 I would withdraw it over loops with other services
Peterlee - X35
Dalton Park - 61
New Seaham - 60/61
Sunderland to Murton - Dalton Park - New Seaham - Seaham - Ryhope - Grangetown - Sunderland - All covered by 39,42,60,61
--------------
Merge most of the East Durham Buses, Which can be done.

There's my idea's what does everyone think?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

25 Dec 2012, 5:08 pm #26
We're all bus enthusiasts. We may not be great in number in society, and I think that's all the more reason for us not to argue and for us to be civil with one another instead where possible. I'm certainly not the most extroverted of people, but things like arguing about something that we're all trying to enjoy just saddens me really.

I had been a fairly active member on another bus forum a good few months ago, but the petty squabbling and the fear of being persecuted in case I said anything that didn't agree with the views of others wasn't much fun. I don't want this forum to end up in the same way and I don't want any members to feel that they can't mention something on here in case they get shot down in flames. I want this to be safe place.

The creator of this site, Liam, invited me to join this forum back in June I think it was. I was more than happy to give it a go. Six months down the line, I think we have a really great friendly community here and I think I can speak of behalf on all members on here that this is something we'd like to preserve.

Regarding the Sunderland-Middlesbrough service, I think this would be a great addition to the network if it ever came about. I think the problem in the past is that the service by Arriva (21A/31A) had been too long and wasn't really competitive with the journey times offered by the Northern Rail service (1 hour). The success of the existing X9/X10 could be due in part to it's similar journey times as the train, which is 1 hour 20 minutes.

I think it would be such a shame if the direct Sunderland-Newcastle service was cut. This would leave many people out on a limb if they couldn't afford the £25 Metro Gold Card and can't face the long journey on the 56. As small amount £25 may seem to some people, a lot of folk may struggle with the upfront cost of this. My grand-parents for one are regular users of the X3 from Sunderland to Newcastle. They don't feel safe on the Metro and the X3 takes them all the way to Eldon Square which they love. Going back to cbm06's suggestion about a fast Sunderland-Peterlee service via New Seaham, if this was incorporated into an extended X3 south from Sunderland, you'd be attracting potential passengers from the likes of Easington too. Go North East operate fairly intensive network of local buses around the Peterlee area in the East Durham brand. It would be great to see a faster alternative than the X35 for onwards travel to Sunderland.

That's a great idea Michael about the 36 and 42! I think Go North East could really capitalise on expanding their range of cross-city routes, especially with the opening of the mega-size Tesco at the Wheatsheaf this spring.

I would also like to see the cessation of the Pronto brand. I think re-numbering the X21 into OK21 with OK Expressway branding would be way smarter on the Plaxton President bodied Volvo B7's than the Pronto branding. I would also like to see improved connections at Bishop Auckland between X21 and OK1 too if it were possible. The OK1 seems to be getting nothing but praise since it's been extended to Middlesbrough. I would love to see the brand continue to expand.
NEB Admin Team
25 Dec 2012, 5:08 pm #26

We're all bus enthusiasts. We may not be great in number in society, and I think that's all the more reason for us not to argue and for us to be civil with one another instead where possible. I'm certainly not the most extroverted of people, but things like arguing about something that we're all trying to enjoy just saddens me really.

I had been a fairly active member on another bus forum a good few months ago, but the petty squabbling and the fear of being persecuted in case I said anything that didn't agree with the views of others wasn't much fun. I don't want this forum to end up in the same way and I don't want any members to feel that they can't mention something on here in case they get shot down in flames. I want this to be safe place.

The creator of this site, Liam, invited me to join this forum back in June I think it was. I was more than happy to give it a go. Six months down the line, I think we have a really great friendly community here and I think I can speak of behalf on all members on here that this is something we'd like to preserve.

Regarding the Sunderland-Middlesbrough service, I think this would be a great addition to the network if it ever came about. I think the problem in the past is that the service by Arriva (21A/31A) had been too long and wasn't really competitive with the journey times offered by the Northern Rail service (1 hour). The success of the existing X9/X10 could be due in part to it's similar journey times as the train, which is 1 hour 20 minutes.

I think it would be such a shame if the direct Sunderland-Newcastle service was cut. This would leave many people out on a limb if they couldn't afford the £25 Metro Gold Card and can't face the long journey on the 56. As small amount £25 may seem to some people, a lot of folk may struggle with the upfront cost of this. My grand-parents for one are regular users of the X3 from Sunderland to Newcastle. They don't feel safe on the Metro and the X3 takes them all the way to Eldon Square which they love. Going back to cbm06's suggestion about a fast Sunderland-Peterlee service via New Seaham, if this was incorporated into an extended X3 south from Sunderland, you'd be attracting potential passengers from the likes of Easington too. Go North East operate fairly intensive network of local buses around the Peterlee area in the East Durham brand. It would be great to see a faster alternative than the X35 for onwards travel to Sunderland.

That's a great idea Michael about the 36 and 42! I think Go North East could really capitalise on expanding their range of cross-city routes, especially with the opening of the mega-size Tesco at the Wheatsheaf this spring.

I would also like to see the cessation of the Pronto brand. I think re-numbering the X21 into OK21 with OK Expressway branding would be way smarter on the Plaxton President bodied Volvo B7's than the Pronto branding. I would also like to see improved connections at Bishop Auckland between X21 and OK1 too if it were possible. The OK1 seems to be getting nothing but praise since it's been extended to Middlesbrough. I would love to see the brand continue to expand.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Dec 2012, 5:21 pm #27
I agree, the 36/42 being merged would be a brilliant idea. I've briefly thought of suggestions similar to those that have been suggested already, but I hadn't ever come close to this one!
A merge of those two "SimpliCity" services would be great. I know the 42 is regularly used, but I haven't seen the 36 being used to a great extent in recent weeks when I've been out photographing buses in the Town End Farm area... Perhaps if these were merged, those two different kinds of passenger numbers would cancel each other out and the final service would stand more of a chance of running on-time?
Dan
25 Dec 2012, 5:21 pm #27

I agree, the 36/42 being merged would be a brilliant idea. I've briefly thought of suggestions similar to those that have been suggested already, but I hadn't ever come close to this one!
A merge of those two "SimpliCity" services would be great. I know the 42 is regularly used, but I haven't seen the 36 being used to a great extent in recent weeks when I've been out photographing buses in the Town End Farm area... Perhaps if these were merged, those two different kinds of passenger numbers would cancel each other out and the final service would stand more of a chance of running on-time?

cbma06

25 Dec 2012, 9:15 pm #28
About the 36/42 merge, good idea but it wont happen, when the 139/140 merged with the 135/136 to make 29/29A/39/39A series going across the city, there were delays in the service by hold ups from the north of Sunderland and South of Sunderland. same goes as the 26/26A/36/36A Pennywell to Heworth and the service had to be split as hold ups on Chester Road and Heworth area.

I used to be in regular contact with the late Peter Huntley (MD of GNE) through email and i use to bounce suggestions to him and he used to tell me what was going to happen with the bus services for that area.
One of the service changes that was going to happen was merge the 39 with the 42 but only if the Sunderland Council would put in a bus link in at Silksworth terminus to Doxford Park Mill Hill, But the Council decide against doing the bus link so the merge didnt happen.
Secondly he mentioned to me just before he left the MD post at GNE that he was planning to run an express service between Sunderland and Peterlee, but this never got off the ground as the next MD came in and shelved it. And l thought that there were going to extend the X3 from Sunderland to Peterlee.

About the X9/X10 services, GNE wont do anything to these services as its already on tight times and the A19 history of holds ups,closed in sections and alot of accidents.

When GNE took over bus services of Jayline, GNE did extend the 211 from Peterlee to Sunderland, so the route was from Middlesbrough to Sunderland, but didnt really pick up passengers as it was mostly on the A19 after Ryhope.

When Durham County Council did there cutting back on spending on local bus services, GNE was going to lose all the East Durham services that there do secured by DCC to independant operators (Scarlet Band) and to Arriva, So GNE has taken on all the East Durham Branded services commercially so there dont lose them, But DCC told GNE that there have to maintain the destinations and early morning times of the timetables. In the past Arriva has asked GNE that there are wanting to take the contract off them to run it themselves, but ive always said that if Arriva did the services in the first place but decide not to run them and tried to run them with taxpayers money, When Arriva closed down the depot at Peterlee, l was hoping that there would take there bus services with them as passengers in peterlee were fedup with non running bus services and there wanting GNE buses in the estates, i asked the late Peter Huntley about taking on the depot and run the bus services in East Durham area, the reply l got back was that there were not interested in purchasing the Arriva Peterlee depot and there were going to wait and see what the downfall will be like with Arriva bus services, i mentioned to Peter Huntley that if GNE take on the depot instead of using a DCC East Durham Community yard, then GNE could run there East Durham Branded bus services and also could run the X9/X10 fleet and the Drifters 60/61 from there which will free up space at Gateshead and Deptford, But GNE decided not to and mentioned that the maintenace for the East Durham branded services woud be held at Deptford.

When the late Peter Huntley took the MD job at GNE he would of purchased Stagecoach Darlington but was too late as Stagecoach and Arriva shook hands on the deal, he also enquired about the availability of Stagcoach South Shields and Stagecoach Hartlepool, Stagecoach was in the 50/50 mind about South shields but then decided not to. and he was turned down flat about Stagecoach Hartlepool at least 2 times. You would of thought that Stagecoach Hartlepool would have annual turnover less than Stagecoach Darlington. Im surprised that Stagecoach hasnt started to run a service between Sunderland and Hartlepool, Stagecoach Hartlepool must be making profit as other bus operators only do services from outer area direct to Hartlepool centre.

cbma06
25 Dec 2012, 9:15 pm #28

About the 36/42 merge, good idea but it wont happen, when the 139/140 merged with the 135/136 to make 29/29A/39/39A series going across the city, there were delays in the service by hold ups from the north of Sunderland and South of Sunderland. same goes as the 26/26A/36/36A Pennywell to Heworth and the service had to be split as hold ups on Chester Road and Heworth area.

I used to be in regular contact with the late Peter Huntley (MD of GNE) through email and i use to bounce suggestions to him and he used to tell me what was going to happen with the bus services for that area.
One of the service changes that was going to happen was merge the 39 with the 42 but only if the Sunderland Council would put in a bus link in at Silksworth terminus to Doxford Park Mill Hill, But the Council decide against doing the bus link so the merge didnt happen.
Secondly he mentioned to me just before he left the MD post at GNE that he was planning to run an express service between Sunderland and Peterlee, but this never got off the ground as the next MD came in and shelved it. And l thought that there were going to extend the X3 from Sunderland to Peterlee.

About the X9/X10 services, GNE wont do anything to these services as its already on tight times and the A19 history of holds ups,closed in sections and alot of accidents.

When GNE took over bus services of Jayline, GNE did extend the 211 from Peterlee to Sunderland, so the route was from Middlesbrough to Sunderland, but didnt really pick up passengers as it was mostly on the A19 after Ryhope.

When Durham County Council did there cutting back on spending on local bus services, GNE was going to lose all the East Durham services that there do secured by DCC to independant operators (Scarlet Band) and to Arriva, So GNE has taken on all the East Durham Branded services commercially so there dont lose them, But DCC told GNE that there have to maintain the destinations and early morning times of the timetables. In the past Arriva has asked GNE that there are wanting to take the contract off them to run it themselves, but ive always said that if Arriva did the services in the first place but decide not to run them and tried to run them with taxpayers money, When Arriva closed down the depot at Peterlee, l was hoping that there would take there bus services with them as passengers in peterlee were fedup with non running bus services and there wanting GNE buses in the estates, i asked the late Peter Huntley about taking on the depot and run the bus services in East Durham area, the reply l got back was that there were not interested in purchasing the Arriva Peterlee depot and there were going to wait and see what the downfall will be like with Arriva bus services, i mentioned to Peter Huntley that if GNE take on the depot instead of using a DCC East Durham Community yard, then GNE could run there East Durham Branded bus services and also could run the X9/X10 fleet and the Drifters 60/61 from there which will free up space at Gateshead and Deptford, But GNE decided not to and mentioned that the maintenace for the East Durham branded services woud be held at Deptford.

When the late Peter Huntley took the MD job at GNE he would of purchased Stagecoach Darlington but was too late as Stagecoach and Arriva shook hands on the deal, he also enquired about the availability of Stagcoach South Shields and Stagecoach Hartlepool, Stagecoach was in the 50/50 mind about South shields but then decided not to. and he was turned down flat about Stagecoach Hartlepool at least 2 times. You would of thought that Stagecoach Hartlepool would have annual turnover less than Stagecoach Darlington. Im surprised that Stagecoach hasnt started to run a service between Sunderland and Hartlepool, Stagecoach Hartlepool must be making profit as other bus operators only do services from outer area direct to Hartlepool centre.

dan

Unregistered

26 Dec 2012, 2:46 pm #29
the 88 goes under a low bridge and inter works with 88A which goes under no low bridges and my idea is 88A runs sunday so could have double deckers but on monday-saturday would need to be non-inter working with 88
dan
26 Dec 2012, 2:46 pm #29

the 88 goes under a low bridge and inter works with 88A which goes under no low bridges and my idea is 88A runs sunday so could have double deckers but on monday-saturday would need to be non-inter working with 88

Malarkey

21 Feb 2013, 9:55 pm #30
I would like to see GNE split the M1 so its does it normal route Heworth to Houghton every 20 minutes.

Then have an M1A which would do Heworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Lambton - Ayton - Harraton then back to normal route at Fatfield to Houghton.

This would result in quicker link to Heworth from those areas on the diverted service. As the M2/M3 both take 40 minutes to Heworth from Lambton although you can quite easily change at The Galleries, but the service would also provide a direct link from Lambton to Houghton which in turn could be very useful.

Also wouldn't mind GNE reinstating the old 638 between Washington and Winlaton via The MetroCentre perhaps under the Pulse Brand and Route Number.
Malarkey
21 Feb 2013, 9:55 pm #30

I would like to see GNE split the M1 so its does it normal route Heworth to Houghton every 20 minutes.

Then have an M1A which would do Heworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Lambton - Ayton - Harraton then back to normal route at Fatfield to Houghton.

This would result in quicker link to Heworth from those areas on the diverted service. As the M2/M3 both take 40 minutes to Heworth from Lambton although you can quite easily change at The Galleries, but the service would also provide a direct link from Lambton to Houghton which in turn could be very useful.

Also wouldn't mind GNE reinstating the old 638 between Washington and Winlaton via The MetroCentre perhaps under the Pulse Brand and Route Number.

BusStop

22 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm #31
I would like to see more use made of the Cross Tyne links such as the Pedestrian and Vehicle Tunnel. A decent bus terminal at either end of the pedestrian tunnel with services to Cobalt and North Shields on the north side and Sunderland and Washington on the south side.
BusStop
22 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm #31

I would like to see more use made of the Cross Tyne links such as the Pedestrian and Vehicle Tunnel. A decent bus terminal at either end of the pedestrian tunnel with services to Cobalt and North Shields on the north side and Sunderland and Washington on the south side.

Malarkey

23 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm #32
On the North Side you already have the 9 which goes North Shields to Sunderland via The Tyne Tunnel.

GNE could introduce a new 9A service which would do the 9 service from North Shields to Jarrow then have it go to Heworth and then Express no stops between there and Washington Galleries.

Basically the 922 Between Washington and Heworth.

Overall a very good idea in my Opinion. Would be worth GNE testing it out for a couple of month, obviously have it advertised on Facebook/Twitter, on the Buses and on Simplygo.com, also have leaflets provided on the bus also.

It would be worth passing this onto GNE to see what they think of the Idea.
Malarkey
23 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm #32

On the North Side you already have the 9 which goes North Shields to Sunderland via The Tyne Tunnel.

GNE could introduce a new 9A service which would do the 9 service from North Shields to Jarrow then have it go to Heworth and then Express no stops between there and Washington Galleries.

Basically the 922 Between Washington and Heworth.

Overall a very good idea in my Opinion. Would be worth GNE testing it out for a couple of month, obviously have it advertised on Facebook/Twitter, on the Buses and on Simplygo.com, also have leaflets provided on the bus also.

It would be worth passing this onto GNE to see what they think of the Idea.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

23 Feb 2013, 6:26 pm #33
The ITA are supposed to be refurbishing the pedestrian and cycle tunnels sometime in the near future. It would be brilliant if this included some kind of dedicated bus stop/turning circle at the north end for service 17, and at the south end for service 27. The 17/27 cover extensive areas of North and South Tyneside, and bringing these directly to dedicated bus stops at the north and south ends of the pedestrian/cycle tunnels would be absolutely brilliant in my eyes. I agree Adam - the 9 is a brilliant route already; but I'd love to see more services using the tunnel Smile

Two massive superstores are opening in North Sunderland in the coming months - Tesco at Wheatsheaf and Sainsbury's just outside of Castletown. These stores are going to be in direct competition with the existing Morrisons at Seaburn and will actually be far easier and quicker to reach by public transport.

I think the 99's days are numbered to be honest. I'd be quite happy to see the return of the 36A/36C instead - every 30 minutes Park Lane, Hospital, Castletown, Witherwack, Carley Hill, Southwick, Wheatsheaf, Park Lane. Then cut the existing 36 route to every 30 minutes. On 36 and 36A/36C combined, there would be a bus every 15 minutes between Sunderland, Southwick, Hylton Red House, Downhill, and Town End Farm. This is down from every 12 minutes at present, but I think a 15 minute frequency would better match demand. A lot of people were upset when Go North East withdrew their direct service from Witherwack and Carley Hill to Sunderland, but this would return that link as well as retaining existing 36 route on Ramsgate Road which has no other bus service. Perhaps the 36 could even run to Boldon ASDA instead of Town End Farm, providing faster connections with X3 to Gateshead and Newcastle.

Regarding the Seaburn section of route that would be lost, I think it's about time that the 700 was extended up the coast from St Peters to Seaburn. It already goes as far as Roker during the summer, but I think a year-round service up Dame Dorothy Street (which again has no other bus service) and up to Morrisons at Seaburn would be very well received. St Peters Campus could be served in both directions - there is a way around the one-way road at St Peter's Way that Redby once took advantage of.
NEB Admin Team
23 Feb 2013, 6:26 pm #33

The ITA are supposed to be refurbishing the pedestrian and cycle tunnels sometime in the near future. It would be brilliant if this included some kind of dedicated bus stop/turning circle at the north end for service 17, and at the south end for service 27. The 17/27 cover extensive areas of North and South Tyneside, and bringing these directly to dedicated bus stops at the north and south ends of the pedestrian/cycle tunnels would be absolutely brilliant in my eyes. I agree Adam - the 9 is a brilliant route already; but I'd love to see more services using the tunnel Smile

Two massive superstores are opening in North Sunderland in the coming months - Tesco at Wheatsheaf and Sainsbury's just outside of Castletown. These stores are going to be in direct competition with the existing Morrisons at Seaburn and will actually be far easier and quicker to reach by public transport.

I think the 99's days are numbered to be honest. I'd be quite happy to see the return of the 36A/36C instead - every 30 minutes Park Lane, Hospital, Castletown, Witherwack, Carley Hill, Southwick, Wheatsheaf, Park Lane. Then cut the existing 36 route to every 30 minutes. On 36 and 36A/36C combined, there would be a bus every 15 minutes between Sunderland, Southwick, Hylton Red House, Downhill, and Town End Farm. This is down from every 12 minutes at present, but I think a 15 minute frequency would better match demand. A lot of people were upset when Go North East withdrew their direct service from Witherwack and Carley Hill to Sunderland, but this would return that link as well as retaining existing 36 route on Ramsgate Road which has no other bus service. Perhaps the 36 could even run to Boldon ASDA instead of Town End Farm, providing faster connections with X3 to Gateshead and Newcastle.

Regarding the Seaburn section of route that would be lost, I think it's about time that the 700 was extended up the coast from St Peters to Seaburn. It already goes as far as Roker during the summer, but I think a year-round service up Dame Dorothy Street (which again has no other bus service) and up to Morrisons at Seaburn would be very well received. St Peters Campus could be served in both directions - there is a way around the one-way road at St Peter's Way that Redby once took advantage of.

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Feb 2013, 6:56 pm #34
Couldn't be 9A, they already have one of those! Though it does only operate twice a day or so, 5am and 6am...

Something daft like that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/8328207753/
Dan
23 Feb 2013, 6:56 pm #34

Couldn't be 9A, they already have one of those! Though it does only operate twice a day or so, 5am and 6am...

Something daft like that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/8328207753/

Malarkey

23 Feb 2013, 7:03 pm #35
9B or 9X something like that would do, Honestly I don't it's a bad Idea that BusStop has come up with, Think I might make a list of potential new services. and then post them on here and then pass them onto GNE
Malarkey
23 Feb 2013, 7:03 pm #35

9B or 9X something like that would do, Honestly I don't it's a bad Idea that BusStop has come up with, Think I might make a list of potential new services. and then post them on here and then pass them onto GNE

BusStop

23 Feb 2013, 8:18 pm #36
I didn't know about the 9. I just think that there would be benefits creating hubs north and south of Tyne that contribute to the network. 30 minutes is a nice frequency but when compared to the Metro, it is just not frequent enough for those who need to connect into other services, which is the reason I am interested in using the pedestrian tunnel as the connection point because you can create interesting hubs.

It will be interesting to see what the bus operators do to take the new Swan Hunters developments into account.

One option might be to extend the short terminating Tyne Estate 19 services across the Tyne to Jarrow.
BusStop
23 Feb 2013, 8:18 pm #36

I didn't know about the 9. I just think that there would be benefits creating hubs north and south of Tyne that contribute to the network. 30 minutes is a nice frequency but when compared to the Metro, it is just not frequent enough for those who need to connect into other services, which is the reason I am interested in using the pedestrian tunnel as the connection point because you can create interesting hubs.

It will be interesting to see what the bus operators do to take the new Swan Hunters developments into account.

One option might be to extend the short terminating Tyne Estate 19 services across the Tyne to Jarrow.

Malarkey

23 Feb 2013, 8:58 pm #37
As promised I have came up with few new service, also included are a few already mentioned. So here is what I've came up with.

GNE New Service Ideas

Sunderland Connect 700

Extended to Seaburn Morrisons from St Peter Campus

M1B

Houghton – Fatfield – Harraton – Ayton - Lambton = Washington – Concord – Heworth
Every 20 minutes with the M1 doing its Normal Route every 20 minutes.

9A

The service would do the 9 service from North Shields to Jarrow then have it go to Heworth and then Express no stops between there and Washington Galleries, Basically the 922 Between Washington and Heworth.

Fab Fifty Six

Have go via Peel Retail Park and then do a loop of Barmston every 20 minutes to provide an improved service and provide Barmston with a Direct link to Sunderland (Old 185) and Newcastle (X85) and then have it do it's Normal Service.

Or

New X56 Service (Every 30 Minutes) 56 (Every 15 Minutes doing it Normal Service)

X56 Sunderland - Queen Alexandra Bridge - Sunderland Enterprise Park – Castletown – Waterview Park – Peel Retail Park – Concord then Non Stopping service to Gateshead going down Heworth Bypass straight to Gateshead (Same Route as Stagecoach X34) Gateshead – Newcastle.

Basically this Service would bring back the Old X4/X85 Service Between Newcastle and Sunderland and also Replace the 73 Between Sunderland and Concord.

Rainton Bridge Npower – Chester le Street via The Angel of the North to the MetroCentre

This would provide a New Link to Rainton Bridge and a Link for those travelling to NPOWER if they live Blaydon/Hexham way. And also those who work in the MetroCentre and live in Chester le Street

Ashington

Now Arriva operate X20/X22 From Newcastle Haymarket to Ashington, Note GNE used to Operate services to Ashington before the Depot/Bus Swap with Arriva a few years back. These service operate every 30 minutes with a combined every 15 frequency, which isn't bad tbh.

Now I think GNE should operate an Express Service between Newcastle and Ashington and perhaps Operate a few other services that would Start in Ashington and operate to the MetroCentre/North Shields to provide Competition with Arriva and also create new links.

I think this would be worth looking into also.

Another Service Idea I've just had would be reinstating the old 638 but a new service number Between Washington and Winlaton and perhaps extend it to Hexham to provide a New/Old Link.

I would also reinstate the link between Sunderland and Bishop Auckland on an Hourly basis, Also I think maybe setting up more services in the Bishop Auckland Area to Other areas in County Durham which don't have a good service would be a good idea.
Edited 24 Feb 2013, 6:08 pm by Malarkey.
Malarkey
23 Feb 2013, 8:58 pm #37

As promised I have came up with few new service, also included are a few already mentioned. So here is what I've came up with.

GNE New Service Ideas

Sunderland Connect 700

Extended to Seaburn Morrisons from St Peter Campus

M1B

Houghton – Fatfield – Harraton – Ayton - Lambton = Washington – Concord – Heworth
Every 20 minutes with the M1 doing its Normal Route every 20 minutes.

9A

The service would do the 9 service from North Shields to Jarrow then have it go to Heworth and then Express no stops between there and Washington Galleries, Basically the 922 Between Washington and Heworth.

Fab Fifty Six

Have go via Peel Retail Park and then do a loop of Barmston every 20 minutes to provide an improved service and provide Barmston with a Direct link to Sunderland (Old 185) and Newcastle (X85) and then have it do it's Normal Service.

Or

New X56 Service (Every 30 Minutes) 56 (Every 15 Minutes doing it Normal Service)

X56 Sunderland - Queen Alexandra Bridge - Sunderland Enterprise Park – Castletown – Waterview Park – Peel Retail Park – Concord then Non Stopping service to Gateshead going down Heworth Bypass straight to Gateshead (Same Route as Stagecoach X34) Gateshead – Newcastle.

Basically this Service would bring back the Old X4/X85 Service Between Newcastle and Sunderland and also Replace the 73 Between Sunderland and Concord.

Rainton Bridge Npower – Chester le Street via The Angel of the North to the MetroCentre

This would provide a New Link to Rainton Bridge and a Link for those travelling to NPOWER if they live Blaydon/Hexham way. And also those who work in the MetroCentre and live in Chester le Street

Ashington

Now Arriva operate X20/X22 From Newcastle Haymarket to Ashington, Note GNE used to Operate services to Ashington before the Depot/Bus Swap with Arriva a few years back. These service operate every 30 minutes with a combined every 15 frequency, which isn't bad tbh.

Now I think GNE should operate an Express Service between Newcastle and Ashington and perhaps Operate a few other services that would Start in Ashington and operate to the MetroCentre/North Shields to provide Competition with Arriva and also create new links.

I think this would be worth looking into also.

Another Service Idea I've just had would be reinstating the old 638 but a new service number Between Washington and Winlaton and perhaps extend it to Hexham to provide a New/Old Link.

I would also reinstate the link between Sunderland and Bishop Auckland on an Hourly basis, Also I think maybe setting up more services in the Bishop Auckland Area to Other areas in County Durham which don't have a good service would be a good idea.

Malarkey

26 Feb 2013, 6:10 pm #38
Just been looking at a few Services on simplygo.com they Include

Quaylink Q1/Q2

Currently this Service uses 9 Optare Versa's and operates every 10 Minutes during the day and every 20 minutes after 17.00pm, and provides a every 5 minutes frequency between the Quayside and Monument/Market Street. Now when I'm in Newcastle or Gateshead I quite often use these services as I like to have a walk along the Quayside and have have look in the Baltic etc, Now I've noticed when using these services that not many people really got on it.

So I would suggest that the frequency is pushed back to Every 20 Minutes to ensure got on the service. this would also bring the PVR for service down aswell to then provide more spare buses for other services.

The Loop 93/94

This another service I use when going down to Saltmeadows to take a few photos, that I think could do with a change in frequency and instead of operating every 15 minutes in each direction. Now I've noticed this service is Always late and can be quite busy at times.

So I have 2 Suggestions for the Service:
A.) An Increase in Frequency to Every 10 Minutes from 15
or
B.) GNE buy some new deckers for the service to ease capacity issues

Orbit 51/52

Again like the 93/94 this operates every 15 minutes in each direction, now I havent used this service but I know that the 24 which operates every 20 minutes does the same route Wrekenton as the 52 does.

So here is the suggestion I have. Incorporate the 24 into the Orbit brand maintaining the services every 15 minute frequency. and do away with the 24 during the day.

But have the 24 operate on Mornings and Evenings like it Currently does going from Wrekenton to Newcastle, this would result in more buses being available during the day to cover brake downs etc.
Malarkey
26 Feb 2013, 6:10 pm #38

Just been looking at a few Services on simplygo.com they Include

Quaylink Q1/Q2

Currently this Service uses 9 Optare Versa's and operates every 10 Minutes during the day and every 20 minutes after 17.00pm, and provides a every 5 minutes frequency between the Quayside and Monument/Market Street. Now when I'm in Newcastle or Gateshead I quite often use these services as I like to have a walk along the Quayside and have have look in the Baltic etc, Now I've noticed when using these services that not many people really got on it.

So I would suggest that the frequency is pushed back to Every 20 Minutes to ensure got on the service. this would also bring the PVR for service down aswell to then provide more spare buses for other services.

The Loop 93/94

This another service I use when going down to Saltmeadows to take a few photos, that I think could do with a change in frequency and instead of operating every 15 minutes in each direction. Now I've noticed this service is Always late and can be quite busy at times.

So I have 2 Suggestions for the Service:
A.) An Increase in Frequency to Every 10 Minutes from 15
or
B.) GNE buy some new deckers for the service to ease capacity issues

Orbit 51/52

Again like the 93/94 this operates every 15 minutes in each direction, now I havent used this service but I know that the 24 which operates every 20 minutes does the same route Wrekenton as the 52 does.

So here is the suggestion I have. Incorporate the 24 into the Orbit brand maintaining the services every 15 minute frequency. and do away with the 24 during the day.

But have the 24 operate on Mornings and Evenings like it Currently does going from Wrekenton to Newcastle, this would result in more buses being available during the day to cover brake downs etc.

Adam

26 Feb 2013, 6:25 pm #39
(26 Feb 2013, 6:10 pm)Adam Malarkey Just been looking at a few Services on simplygo.com they Include

Orbit 51/52

The 24 does a completely different route from Gateshead to Wrekenton than the 52. The 24 goes along Low Fell and then through the Allerdene and Harlow Green estates, where there can be queues of around 15 people at some stops throughout the day. The only other service to serve the Allerdene area is the 29 but that runs every hour through daytime only. The 52 meanwhile serves many places whilst heading to Wrekenton, including Dryden Road, Kells Lane and Easedale Gardens.

Another point to raise is that if the 24 was incorporated into the Orbit brand, the name "Orbit" would seem a rubbish name considering it will lose its connotations of being a circular service.
Edited 26 Feb 2013, 6:29 pm by Adam.
Adam
26 Feb 2013, 6:25 pm #39

(26 Feb 2013, 6:10 pm)Adam Malarkey Just been looking at a few Services on simplygo.com they Include

Orbit 51/52

The 24 does a completely different route from Gateshead to Wrekenton than the 52. The 24 goes along Low Fell and then through the Allerdene and Harlow Green estates, where there can be queues of around 15 people at some stops throughout the day. The only other service to serve the Allerdene area is the 29 but that runs every hour through daytime only. The 52 meanwhile serves many places whilst heading to Wrekenton, including Dryden Road, Kells Lane and Easedale Gardens.

Another point to raise is that if the 24 was incorporated into the Orbit brand, the name "Orbit" would seem a rubbish name considering it will lose its connotations of being a circular service.

Malarkey

26 Feb 2013, 6:37 pm #40
Yeah but you have the 21 every few minutes along low fell so therefore the 24 would be useless until it turns off half way along, plus after that it follows the 52 to Wrekenton.

Basically stop the 24 running and have the 52 run it's place, and the 52 would still operate it's normal service Orbit of Gateshead.
Malarkey
26 Feb 2013, 6:37 pm #40

Yeah but you have the 21 every few minutes along low fell so therefore the 24 would be useless until it turns off half way along, plus after that it follows the 52 to Wrekenton.

Basically stop the 24 running and have the 52 run it's place, and the 52 would still operate it's normal service Orbit of Gateshead.

Pages (153) Previous 1 2 3153 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average