Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (20) Previous 13 4 520 Next
buznut

03 May 2014, 7:31 pm #61
(02 May 2014, 9:38 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I'm confused how would Services 7 and X21 etc coming from Darlington and Bishop Auckland enter the Main Bus Station, would they have go up Sutton Street and around and down to Enter, as there is no Left Turn into the Bus Station if they were to continue down the Road as they do now towards the Roundabout which will obviously be Removed.

Depends on traffic light set up.....

2 way lights
use Sutton Street then back under viaduct through the new junction and into bus station as you suggest...

3 way lights
carry on to junction as normal and then simply turn right as no oncoming traffic....

Mostly effects buses coming in via Nevilles Cross
Arriva 7,43,46,48,49 services & GNE pronto x21.
Looks like lights on exit junction leaving bus station.
All Very interesting!
buznut
03 May 2014, 7:31 pm #61

(02 May 2014, 9:38 pm)NEBCD Malarkey I'm confused how would Services 7 and X21 etc coming from Darlington and Bishop Auckland enter the Main Bus Station, would they have go up Sutton Street and around and down to Enter, as there is no Left Turn into the Bus Station if they were to continue down the Road as they do now towards the Roundabout which will obviously be Removed.

Depends on traffic light set up.....

2 way lights
use Sutton Street then back under viaduct through the new junction and into bus station as you suggest...

3 way lights
carry on to junction as normal and then simply turn right as no oncoming traffic....

Mostly effects buses coming in via Nevilles Cross
Arriva 7,43,46,48,49 services & GNE pronto x21.
Looks like lights on exit junction leaving bus station.
All Very interesting!

Adrian

09 May 2014, 8:17 pm #64
(09 May 2014, 1:44 pm)Jimmi No hasty solutions
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/archive...solutions/

Bus station plea
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/archive...tion_Plea/

"In actual fact since the refurbishment a few years ago the existing station has been clean, comfortable, well-equipped with information, and the presence of staff has kept it peaceful and orderly."

1) Displays regularly display "refer to timetable", and do not show services in order of departure time.
2) The bus station is covered in buckets every time we have heavy rain.
3) The entrance is practically a smoking shelter, and stinks.
4) The rear entrance is also a smoking area, and stinks.
5) I'd hardly call metal benches comfortable.
6) What presence of staff? Surely they'd be enforcing the breaches of the smoking ban in the entrance way if there was a presence.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 May 2014, 8:17 pm #64

(09 May 2014, 1:44 pm)Jimmi No hasty solutions
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/archive...solutions/

Bus station plea
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/archive...tion_Plea/

"In actual fact since the refurbishment a few years ago the existing station has been clean, comfortable, well-equipped with information, and the presence of staff has kept it peaceful and orderly."

1) Displays regularly display "refer to timetable", and do not show services in order of departure time.
6) What presence of staff? Surely they'd be enforcing the breaches of the smoking ban in the entrance way if there was a presence.

Jimmi

09 May 2014, 8:44 pm #65
(09 May 2014, 8:17 pm)aureolin "In actual fact since the refurbishment a few years ago the existing station has been clean, comfortable, well-equipped with information, and the presence of staff has kept it peaceful and orderly."

There was no buckets the other day when it was raining, which lead to wet floors and there was no wet floors either.

Each door leads to a smoking area.

Staff are present... for 5 seconds then they disappear into that cubby hole next to stand A.

I have heard a few stories about things going on in Durham bus station.
Jimmi
09 May 2014, 8:44 pm #65

(09 May 2014, 8:17 pm)aureolin "In actual fact since the refurbishment a few years ago the existing station has been clean, comfortable, well-equipped with information, and the presence of staff has kept it peaceful and orderly."

There was no buckets the other day when it was raining, which lead to wet floors and there was no wet floors either.

Staff are present... for 5 seconds then they disappear into that cubby hole next to stand A.

Adrian

09 May 2014, 8:49 pm #66
(09 May 2014, 8:44 pm)Jimmi There was no buckets the other day when it was raining, which lead to wet floors and there was no wet floors either.

They must have repaired the roof then. Was a problem for years, but I've not really had to use the bus station as of late, since the bus I now use services Millburngate bridge.

Yes. Staff tend to hide in that cupboard, and ignore the smoking problem. The main entrance is covered by the smoking ban, as confirmed by the council. They just appear reluctant to do anything about it. Why would they, when drivers are easier targets.

I've heard stories, but also witnessed a few. I used to work shifts so I'd be in the bus station any times between 8pm-10pm on a night. Worst one I've seen is a bloke clearly off his face on drugs, walking round covered in blood, pestering people for money.

Adrian
09 May 2014, 8:49 pm #66

(09 May 2014, 8:44 pm)Jimmi There was no buckets the other day when it was raining, which lead to wet floors and there was no wet floors either.

They must have repaired the roof then. Was a problem for years, but I've not really had to use the bus station as of late, since the bus I now use services Millburngate bridge.

Yes. Staff tend to hide in that cupboard, and ignore the smoking problem. The main entrance is covered by the smoking ban, as confirmed by the council. They just appear reluctant to do anything about it. Why would they, when drivers are easier targets.

I've heard stories, but also witnessed a few. I used to work shifts so I'd be in the bus station any times between 8pm-10pm on a night. Worst one I've seen is a bloke clearly off his face on drugs, walking round covered in blood, pestering people for money.

Dan

Site Administrator

09 May 2014, 8:54 pm #67
(09 May 2014, 8:49 pm)aureolin They must have repaired the roof then. Was a problem for years, but I've not really had to use the bus station as of late, since the bus I now use services Millburngate bridge.

Last time I was in Durham when it was raining, there was a puddle. Wasn't bad but still unacceptable if you ask me.
Mind, that must have been late last year...
Dan
09 May 2014, 8:54 pm #67

(09 May 2014, 8:49 pm)aureolin They must have repaired the roof then. Was a problem for years, but I've not really had to use the bus station as of late, since the bus I now use services Millburngate bridge.

Last time I was in Durham when it was raining, there was a puddle. Wasn't bad but still unacceptable if you ask me.
Mind, that must have been late last year...

Jimmi

09 May 2014, 8:56 pm #68

Not quite fixed, leaking the other day but no buckets.

Yes I love getting smoke blown in my face when waiting for a bus on stand A.

Sadly since the No. 7 now terminates at the Bus Station I unfortunately have no choice.
Jimmi
09 May 2014, 8:56 pm #68

Not quite fixed, leaking the other day but no buckets.

Yes I love getting smoke blown in my face when waiting for a bus on stand A.

Sadly since the No. 7 now terminates at the Bus Station I unfortunately have no choice.

Dan

Site Administrator

03 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm #69
Well then... This just tops whatever we've discussed in the past...
https://flic.kr/p/oBt18P

On a related note, the 24 used the wrong stand today - but there was absolutely no reason for it at all. I'm not sure whether the driver made an innocent mistake or what, but I couldn't believe it when he used the 20 stand instead of two stands up...
Dan
03 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm #69

Well then... This just tops whatever we've discussed in the past...

On a related note, the 24 used the wrong stand today - but there was absolutely no reason for it at all. I'm not sure whether the driver made an innocent mistake or what, but I couldn't believe it when he used the 20 stand instead of two stands up...

Adrian

03 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm #70
(03 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm)Dan Well then... This just tops whatever we've discussed in the past...

Seeing as it's impossible to reverse into the bus station, I'm assuming the driver has driven the wrong way. Very dangerous considering no other drivers would be expecting a bus driving towards them when they enter the bus station...

Adrian
03 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm #70

(03 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm)Dan Well then... This just tops whatever we've discussed in the past...

Seeing as it's impossible to reverse into the bus station, I'm assuming the driver has driven the wrong way. Very dangerous considering no other drivers would be expecting a bus driving towards them when they enter the bus station...

Tom

03 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm #71
(03 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)aureolin Seeing as it's impossible to reverse into the bus station, I'm assuming the driver has driven the wrong way. Very dangerous considering no other drivers would be expecting a bus driving towards them when they enter the bus station...

Unless he was in a stand and reversed out (but he would still be causing a hazard departing).
Tom
03 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm #71

(03 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)aureolin Seeing as it's impossible to reverse into the bus station, I'm assuming the driver has driven the wrong way. Very dangerous considering no other drivers would be expecting a bus driving towards them when they enter the bus station...

Unless he was in a stand and reversed out (but he would still be causing a hazard departing).

Andreos1

03 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm #72
Slightly off topic, but someone sent me an email of an x7 seemingly doing a u-turn on Stockton High St.

Not sure if I saved the pic - will try and find it when next on laptop.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
03 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm #72

Slightly off topic, but someone sent me an email of an x7 seemingly doing a u-turn on Stockton High St.

tyresmoke

03 Aug 2014, 9:10 pm #73
(03 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Slightly off topic, but someone sent me an email of an x7 seemingly doing a u-turn on Stockton High St.

Yes it was our commercial manager who took the pic. Surprised to see how far it's got!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
03 Aug 2014, 9:10 pm #73

(03 Aug 2014, 9:09 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Slightly off topic, but someone sent me an email of an x7 seemingly doing a u-turn on Stockton High St.

Yes it was our commercial manager who took the pic. Surprised to see how far it's got!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Andreos1

03 Aug 2014, 9:14 pm #74
(03 Aug 2014, 9:10 pm)tyresmoke Yes it was our commercial manager who took the pic. Surprised to see how far it's got!

Appreciate Stockton High St is reputedly the widest in England - but not wide enough for a Citaro to clear it in one go!

I was part of a few people to get it on that specific email, but didn't forward it on.
No idea if the others did or not.

Andreos1
03 Aug 2014, 9:14 pm #74

(03 Aug 2014, 9:10 pm)tyresmoke Yes it was our commercial manager who took the pic. Surprised to see how far it's got!

Appreciate Stockton High St is reputedly the widest in England - but not wide enough for a Citaro to clear it in one go!

I was part of a few people to get it on that specific email, but didn't forward it on.
No idea if the others did or not.

Adrian

03 Aug 2014, 9:14 pm #75
(03 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)Tom Unless he was in a stand and reversed out (but he would still be causing a hazard departing).

How would they have managed to reverse out of a stand and end up facing that direction though? They'd have still had to drive the wrong way in the bus station. They'd have also had the problem of how they plan to get the bus from that position to either out of the bus station or into a stand. Trying to exit onto the roundabout via the entrance would be reckless.

Adrian
03 Aug 2014, 9:14 pm #75

(03 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)Tom Unless he was in a stand and reversed out (but he would still be causing a hazard departing).

How would they have managed to reverse out of a stand and end up facing that direction though? They'd have still had to drive the wrong way in the bus station. They'd have also had the problem of how they plan to get the bus from that position to either out of the bus station or into a stand. Trying to exit onto the roundabout via the entrance would be reckless.

Tom

03 Aug 2014, 9:16 pm #76
(03 Aug 2014, 9:14 pm)aureolin How would they have managed to reverse out of a stand and end up facing that direction though? They'd have still had to drive the wrong way in the bus station. They'd have also had the problem of how they plan to get the bus from that position to either out of the bus station or into a stand. Trying to exit onto the roundabout via the entrance would be reckless.

Yes I suppose - absolutely ludicrous!
Tom
03 Aug 2014, 9:16 pm #76

(03 Aug 2014, 9:14 pm)aureolin How would they have managed to reverse out of a stand and end up facing that direction though? They'd have still had to drive the wrong way in the bus station. They'd have also had the problem of how they plan to get the bus from that position to either out of the bus station or into a stand. Trying to exit onto the roundabout via the entrance would be reckless.

Yes I suppose - absolutely ludicrous!

Jimmi

03 Aug 2014, 9:18 pm #77

Buses were going all sorts of strange ways and mauvers yesterday, I saw a Stagecoach bus try to turn round on the south end of the high street yesterday just outside where Poundworld and Officers Club is seemingly doing a three point turn in the high street.
Jimmi
03 Aug 2014, 9:18 pm #77

Buses were going all sorts of strange ways and mauvers yesterday, I saw a Stagecoach bus try to turn round on the south end of the high street yesterday just outside where Poundworld and Officers Club is seemingly doing a three point turn in the high street.

Kuyoyo

03 Aug 2014, 9:26 pm #78
(03 Aug 2014, 9:18 pm)Jimmi Buses were going all sorts of strange ways and mauvers yesterday, I saw a Stagecoach bus try to turn round on the south end of the high street yesterday just outside where Poundworld and Officers Club is seemingly doing a three point turn in the high street.

That was because of Stockton Council and their decision to close the central section of the High Street for 3 days while the Riverside Festival took place (of which, there was next-to-nothing taking place on the High Street this year), leaving everything to pot.
Kuyoyo
03 Aug 2014, 9:26 pm #78

(03 Aug 2014, 9:18 pm)Jimmi Buses were going all sorts of strange ways and mauvers yesterday, I saw a Stagecoach bus try to turn round on the south end of the high street yesterday just outside where Poundworld and Officers Club is seemingly doing a three point turn in the high street.

That was because of Stockton Council and their decision to close the central section of the High Street for 3 days while the Riverside Festival took place (of which, there was next-to-nothing taking place on the High Street this year), leaving everything to pot.

Jimmi

03 Aug 2014, 9:34 pm #79
(03 Aug 2014, 9:26 pm)Kuyoyo That was because of Stockton Council and their decision to close the central section of the High Street for 3 days while the Riverside Festival took place (of which, there was next-to-nothing taking place on the High Street this year), leaving everything to pot.

Yeah I was there yesterday and there was practically nothing on the high street, did not see the point in closing the high street and cause disruption to services and putting services on a temporary stands which people who aren't from Stockton will not where they are, the X66 drivers didn't seem to have a clue where they going the one I got off dropped us off at the stop where the coaches leave from.
Jimmi
03 Aug 2014, 9:34 pm #79

(03 Aug 2014, 9:26 pm)Kuyoyo That was because of Stockton Council and their decision to close the central section of the High Street for 3 days while the Riverside Festival took place (of which, there was next-to-nothing taking place on the High Street this year), leaving everything to pot.

Yeah I was there yesterday and there was practically nothing on the high street, did not see the point in closing the high street and cause disruption to services and putting services on a temporary stands which people who aren't from Stockton will not where they are, the X66 drivers didn't seem to have a clue where they going the one I got off dropped us off at the stop where the coaches leave from.

Kuyoyo

03 Aug 2014, 9:40 pm #80
(03 Aug 2014, 9:34 pm)Jimmi Yeah I was there yesterday and there was practically nothing on the high street, did not see the point in closing the high street and cause disruption to services and putting services on a temporary stands which people who aren't from Stockton will not where they are, the X66 drivers didn't seem to have a clue where they going the one I got off dropped us off at the stop where the coaches leave from.

X66 should have been a bit further down from the Express Stop (the temporary stop they used Darlington bound from the start of the High Street work until the south end turning loop was taken out of use).

To put it bluntly, it was a farce - Stagecoach actually revised the way their through services were operating late on Friday afternoon because they were ending up running together on half hourly routes. So, by Saturday morning, only the 59/61 was using the bottom end of the High Street with the 52/58s running down there only for operational reasons (driver changes and layovers when the only accessible laybys at the northern end were full).
Kuyoyo
03 Aug 2014, 9:40 pm #80

(03 Aug 2014, 9:34 pm)Jimmi Yeah I was there yesterday and there was practically nothing on the high street, did not see the point in closing the high street and cause disruption to services and putting services on a temporary stands which people who aren't from Stockton will not where they are, the X66 drivers didn't seem to have a clue where they going the one I got off dropped us off at the stop where the coaches leave from.

X66 should have been a bit further down from the Express Stop (the temporary stop they used Darlington bound from the start of the High Street work until the south end turning loop was taken out of use).

To put it bluntly, it was a farce - Stagecoach actually revised the way their through services were operating late on Friday afternoon because they were ending up running together on half hourly routes. So, by Saturday morning, only the 59/61 was using the bottom end of the High Street with the 52/58s running down there only for operational reasons (driver changes and layovers when the only accessible laybys at the northern end were full).

Pages (20) Previous 13 4 520 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average