North East Buses

Full Version: Fleet List Updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Liam has had a bit more time to work on updating features of the site as of late, and we thought that one of our main priorities should be to update the fleetlists.

We've had some suggestions for the fleetlists in the past; arguably, these features could have been some of the most difficult to code.

So, without further ado, the updates are given below:
  • Updated fleet list homepage (Work in Progress)*
  • New, cleaner look for the fleet lists.
  • New 'titles' for the fleet lists added, additionally showing when the fleet lists were last updated.
  • Searchable 'Euro Classification' column added, giving details of the level of emissions produced by the engine of that vehicle.
  • Icons added to show whether a vehicle is equipped with Wi-Fi, Power Sockets and Next Stop Announcements
  • Minor changes to the styling of each fleet item record (Work In Progress)**
* This is far from complete at the moment but is continuously being worked on until Liam and I agree on a style - he has to get it past me before you guys see it! It's the third anniversary of tyresmoke's own website today; it feels somewhat appropriate to mention this, as his website laid the foundation for what we have on this website today. As most of you will know, Scott made the decision to close his website earlier this year and merge all of the content onto this website. The fleet news for each individual independent operator is discussed within the forums now, and the content for each individual fleet list is still in the process of being brought across. Between the administration/moderation team, we all have educational, social and work priorities which have to become before the hobby, meaning that we try to get things done in whatever limited free time we have, but this means progress is often slow. We are growing ever-closer to the fleet lists being complete though, so we've decided to include the independent fleet lists on the main 'Fleet List' homepage when we roll the update out. On a related note, updates to the Tyne & Wear Metro fleet list are few and far between. The views on this fleet list are incredibly dire, and the Metrocar refurbishment project is almost at completion, meaning that updates will be even less frequent. I'd like to gather your views on this first, but I don't think a fleet list can be justified, and something within the forums itself would perhaps be more suitable...

** We're obviously going to include the additions to the fleet lists (Euro status, Wi-Fi, etc) to the revised pages, but we also intend on making these pages a bit more mobile-friendly. We haven't decided on the styling yet, but it takes a lot of time and effort for Liam to get it past me first, so I'll update you when this has been completed.

I still need to go through and alter the fleet lists to update the Euro status and on-board features for every vehicle in the Arriva, Go North East and Stagecoach fleets (hopefully with the assistance of NEB's trusty moderation team! Wink) but this should be finished before next week.

If you have any further suggestions or comments to make - now is the time to make them! It's unlikely Liam will continue working on updating things for a good few months after he's finished, so best to speak up now.
(04 Dec 2014, 5:01 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Liam has had a bit more time to work on updating features of the site as of late, and we thought that one of our main priorities should be to update the fleetlists.

We've had some suggestions for the fleetlists in the past; arguably, these features could have been some of the most difficult to code.

So, without further ado, the updates are given below:
  • Updated fleet list homepage (Work in Progress)*
  • New, cleaner look for the fleet lists.
  • New 'titles' for the fleet lists added, additionally showing when the fleet lists were last updated.
  • Searchable 'Euro Classification' column added, giving details of the level of emissions produced by the engine of that vehicle.
  • Icons added to show whether a vehicle is equipped with Wi-Fi, Power Sockets and Next Stop Announcements
  • Minor changes to the styling of each fleet item record (Work In Progress)**
* This is far from complete at the moment but is continuously being worked on until Liam and I agree on a style - he has to get it past me before you guys see it! It's the third anniversary of tyresmoke's own website today; it feels somewhat appropriate to mention this, as his website laid the foundation for what we have on this website today. As most of you will know, Scott made the decision to close his website earlier this year and merge all of the content onto this website. The fleet news for each individual independent operator is discussed within the forums now, and the content for each individual fleet list is still in the process of being brought across. Between the administration/moderation team, we all have educational, social and work priorities which have to become before the hobby, meaning that we try to get things done in whatever limited free time we have, but this means progress is often slow. We are growing ever-closer to the fleet lists being complete though, so we've decided to include the independent fleet lists on the main 'Fleet List' homepage when we roll the update out. On a related note, updates to the Tyne & Wear Metro fleet list are few and far between. The views on this fleet list are incredibly dire, and the Metrocar refurbishment project is almost at completion, meaning that updates will be even less frequent. I'd like to gather your views on this first, but I don't think a fleet list can be justified, and something within the forums itself would perhaps be more suitable...

** We're obviously going to include the additions to the fleet lists (Euro status, Wi-Fi, etc) to the revised pages, but we also intend on making these pages a bit more mobile-friendly. We haven't decided on the styling yet, but it takes a lot of time and effort for Liam to get it past me first, so I'll update you when this has been completed.

I still need to go through and alter the fleet lists to update the Euro status and on-board features for every vehicle in the Arriva, Go North East and Stagecoach fleets (hopefully with the assistance of NEB's trusty moderation team! Wink) but this should be finished before next week.

If you have any further suggestions or comments to make - now is the time to make them! It's unlikely Liam will continue working on updating things for a good few months after he's finished, so best to speak up now.

Looks good, glad you're putting the euro engines in to, means at least people won't have to ask. 

The Tyne and Wear fleet list was pointless, nothing really changes, like you said. 

Glad we're finally getting an independent company list.  
(04 Dec 2014, 5:12 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Looks good, glad you're putting the euro engines in to, means at least people won't have to ask. 

The Tyne and Wear fleet list was pointless, nothing really changes, like you said. 

Glad we're finally getting an independent company list.  

We already have independent operator fleet lists (although some aren't fully complete): http://northeastbuses.co.uk/operators/list.php
(04 Dec 2014, 5:23 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]We already have independent operator fleet lists (although some aren't fully complete): http://northeastbuses.co.uk/operators/list.php

Oh right, didn't even know it was there! 
Why not put power sockets and leather seats on as well?
(05 Dec 2014, 11:05 am)ArrivaNE_7522 wrote [ -> ]Why not put power sockets and leather seats on as well?

It's not fully updated yet but the fleet lists show that some of GNE's now have, Power Sockets, WIFI and stop announcement.  

Arriva and Stagecoach's will updated soon. 

Euro engines will now be included on the fleet list! 
(05 Dec 2014, 11:05 am)ArrivaNE_7522 wrote [ -> ]Why not put power sockets and leather seats on as well?
Well we have included power sockets, but there's not really enough buses in the ANE/GNE/SNE fleets to justify including leather seats.
Quick note to say that the Euro status for each vehicle has now been updated as well as the 'new technology' features for each vehicle too.

Fleet list homepage still being worked on, as well as the page for each individual fleet record!
Just wondering, on the fleet lists, i thought some of the gas buses at Sunderland had euro 6 engines?
(07 Dec 2014, 2:56 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Just wondering, on the fleet lists, i thought some of the gas buses at Sunderland had euro 6 engines?
You're right - I'd completely forgotten about 28018 - 40 being Euro 6.
(07 Dec 2014, 3:04 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]You're right - I'd completely forgotten about 28018 - 40 being Euro 6.

How can you forget that! Tongue 
Are the "New Technology" icons not available to see on mobile devices? Just I can see them on my laptop but not on my phone when I had a look earlier? 
(07 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]How can you forget that! Tongue 

Corrected now.

(07 Dec 2014, 9:04 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Are the "New Technology" icons not available to see on mobile devices? Just I can see them on my laptop but not on my phone when I had a look earlier? 

They're not - some users view this forum with smaller screened smartphones, and to accommodate for everyone, only a limited number of columns are available to view on mobile devices.
I'm having trouble accessing the independent lists...

" Not Found

The requested URL /fleet/independent.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
(15 Dec 2014, 10:15 am)ArrivaNE_7522 wrote [ -> ]I'm having trouble accessing the independent lists...

" Not Found

The requested URL /fleet/independent.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
These aren't finished yet, just included for styling purposes at the moment.

www.northeastbuses.co.uk/operators for the working indep fleet lists iirc
How often are the independent fleet lists updated? Some need quit a lot of updating (Stanley Travel in particular)
(28 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]How often are the independent fleet lists updated? Some need quit a lot of updating (Stanley Travel in particular)

When Scott has time to spare. Full time employment can often lead you short of time to do things for your hobby! :p 
(28 Mar 2015, 8:27 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]When Scott has time to spare. Full time employment can often lead you short of time to do things for your hobby! :p 

Ah so he is in charge of them. In that case, I'll let him off Tongue If only I had access to editing them....(dreams in sleep)
(28 Mar 2015, 8:31 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]Ah so he is in charge of them. In that case, I'll let him off Tongue If only I had access to editing them....(dreams in sleep)

PM me with everything that needs changing, and I will do it tomorrow.
4902 is still down on the fleet list as being based at Stanley.
Pages: 1 2 3