North East Buses

Full Version: Gateshead Central Taxis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03 Jul 2014, 12:32 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Looks like GCT have purchased a few new 14-plated minibuses.

I saw SF14 HAO last week doing the Tesco Free Bus in Consett.
Dan spotted SF14 HAE the other day on the M25.
And today I saw SF14 HAA while driving through the Spen working the R4.

I wonder if there are any more?

So there buying more Taxi Buses basically - God Help those who have to use the Services once the changes occur.
(03 Jul 2014, 12:32 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Looks like GCT have purchased a few new 14-plated minibuses.

I saw SF14 HAO last week doing the Tesco Free Bus in Consett.
Dan spotted SF14 HAE the other day on the M25.
And today I saw SF14 HAA while driving through the Spen working the R4.

I wonder if there are any more?
Oops, I'd assumed the ones we saw were the same ones!
(03 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]So there buying more Taxi Buses basically - God Help those who have to use the Services once the changes occur.

Wonder how many will be left behind.. the 37/73 can get quite busy
I think Scott mentioned to me that GCT's bids were fully conforming? This means that the vehicles they'll be using on the services they've won will meet the contract specification set by Nexus (and for most, to my memory, they required something bigger than a Solo SR?)

So they'll have to buy other vehicles besides the Bluebirds...
Has anyone got enough time on their hands to work out the combined PVR of all the Nexus work they've won?
(03 Jul 2014, 10:06 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Has anyone got enough time on their hands to work out the combined PVR of all the Nexus work they've won?

I'll have a go, including the contracts they have already won...

37/73 (Coach Road Estate-Sunderland/Doxford International) - PVR 3
515/558 (Heworth-Hebburn/Seaburn) - PVR 2
643 (Metrocentre-Watergate Estate) - PVR 1
M25 (Team Valley Sainsburys Free Bus) - PVR 1
R3/R4/R6 (Blaydon/Rowlands Gill Local Services) - PVR 3
R5 (Rowlands Gill Local Service) - PVR 1
T1 (Tesco Extra Consett Devels Lane Free Bus) - PVR 1
T1 (Tesco Extra Gateshead Free Bus) - PVR 1
T1/T2/T3 (Tesco Extra Kingston Park - North Kenton/Newbiggin Hall Estate/Dinnington) - PVR 1
TB10 (Fewster Square-Eighton Banks-Q.E. Hospital) - PVR 1
TB14 (Northside Estate-South Portobello) - PVR 1

Total = PVR 16
Thats excluding the works services they have too!
(04 Jul 2014, 6:44 am)Tom wrote [ -> ]I'll have a go, including the contracts they have already won...

37/73 (Coach Road Estate-Sunderland/Doxford International) - PVR 3
515/558 (Heworth-Hebburn/Seaburn) - PVR 2
643 (Metrocentre-Watergate Estate) - PVR 1
M25 (Team Valley Sainsburys Free Bus) - PVR 1
R3/R4/R6 (Blaydon/Rowlands Gill Local Services) - PVR 3
R5 (Rowlands Gill Local Service) - PVR 1
T1 (Tesco Extra Consett Devels Lane Free Bus) - PVR 1
T1 (Tesco Extra Gateshead Free Bus) - PVR 1
T1/T2/T3 (Tesco Extra Kingston Park - North Kenton/Newbiggin Hall Estate/Dinnington) - PVR 1
TB10 (Fewster Square-Eighton Banks-Q.E. Hospital) - PVR 1
TB14 (Northside Estate-South Portobello) - PVR 1

Total = PVR 16
Thats excluding the works services they have too!

Taxi Buses don't need to be registered on VOSA afaik. Also had a quick look under their operator licence on VOSA, and can't see them registered. It still means that they have a total PVR of 14, yet the depot is only licensed for 14 vehicles, with a further 6 at Felling?
(04 Jul 2014, 9:40 am)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Taxi Buses don't need to be registered on VOSA afaik. Also had a quick look under their operator licence on VOSA, and can't see them registered. It still means that they have a total PVR of 14, yet the depot is only licensed for 14 vehicles, with a further 6 at Felling?

Compass are also doing at least one board on services 37/73, aren't they? So that's a total PVR of 13 opposed to 14.

I've only seen the 939 once and it was operated by a taxi. Assuming that this was a non-compliant working (which I'd assume it was, given that GNE used to operate it with an MPD), you can add 1 to the PVR for that - making it 14 again.

The 592 and 593 in Sunderland, as far as I know, are completely standalone. That makes the PVR 16.

I'd assume that the 90 and 941 will run onto or off something, so the PVR will remain unchanged for those.

They had a fleet of nine active Bluebirds with one also withdrawn prior to gaining new vehicles. I'm not sure whether the withdrawn Bluebird would still count as a vehicle on their license? Assuming it does, they have ten vehicles PLUS at least six 16-seater vans which are mainly used on taxi work but do crop up on service work every now and again. They've got three new Bluebirds so far. That's at least 19/20 vehicles on their operators license for both depots.

The Bluebirds won't be fully compliant for some of the services they've won (indeed GNE's 635/636 are a seat short for the new contract spec for services 37/73, hence why their non-conforming bid was not selected as GCT allegedly had fully conforming bids), so we can still expect more new arrivals... Realistically need to look at having 16 compliant vehicles plus 2 spare... However you look at the situation, they need to find a bigger depot - having 18 compliant vehicles plus at least 6 vans means they've got 24/20 vehicles. There could be more than 6 vans at the moment too...
(04 Jul 2014, 9:40 am)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Taxi Buses don't need to be registered on VOSA afaik. Also had a quick look under their operator licence on VOSA, and can't see them registered. It still means that they have a total PVR of 14, yet the depot is only licensed for 14 vehicles, with a further 6 at Felling?

Not entirely sure but with PVR, if they operate evening contracts they could feasibly use some of the TaxiBus fleet as they end at 3/4pm in most areas
I passed the GCT yard at Jarrow today and noticed a vehicle that I have not seen in there before it is a VW similar size to a Bluebird and dark blue in colour with one of those yellow school bus stickers on the bonnet. The registration is SF08GLJ at this stage I have been unable to confirm if it is owned by GCT but I will keep a look out when I pass the site next week.
(05 Jul 2014, 2:35 pm)GuyParkRoyal wrote [ -> ]I passed the GCT yard at Jarrow today and noticed a vehicle that I have not seen in there before it is a VW similar size to a Bluebird and dark blue in colour with one of those yellow school bus stickers on the bonnet. The registration is SF08GLJ at this stage I have been unable to confirm if it is owned by GCT but I will keep a look out when I pass the site next week.

I mentioned it a while ago here.

It came from Sunderland Road direction (i.e. their depot in Felling) and seemed to be heading over towards Jarrow, so I'd definitely suggest that we can say it is a part of GCT's fleet following your sighting of it at their depot in Jarrow.
On passing the bus stop on the site where Leafield House was on Birtley Lane a short while ago - I saw 4 people standing waiting.
Presumably, they were waiting for the TB14, which was about due.

I saw said TB14 not far up the road, at the stop behind The Board Inn.
There were already two passengers on it.

Has it ever been known before?!
If anyone else has seen 6 passengers on the TB14, please share your experiences here!
(11 Jul 2014, 11:17 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]On passing the bus stop on the site where Leafield House was on Birtley Lane a short while ago - I saw 4 people standing waiting.
Presumably, they were waiting for the TB14, which was about due.

I saw said TB14 not far up the road, at the stop behind The Board Inn.
There were already two passengers on it.

Has it ever been known before?!
If anyone else has seen 6 passengers on the TB14, please share your experiences here!

Have you ever witnessed six passengers on the TB14?

Have you ever witnessed more than two passengers on the bus at any one time?
(11 Jul 2014, 11:36 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Have you ever witnessed six passengers on the TB14?

Have you ever witnessed more than two passengers on the bus at any one time?

Never!

Struggle to witness more than one - that is usually Gtom doing his welfare visits! Wink
(11 Jul 2014, 11:39 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Never!

Struggle to witness more than one - that is usually Gtom doing his welfare visits! Wink

I've had an idea for NEB competition/adventure.

Lets see how many 'unused' services NEB members can travel on in one day.

Bonus NEB awarded for being on a bus (e.g. TB14) with more than 10 passengers.

Photographs required as evidence.
(11 Jul 2014, 11:46 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I've had an idea for NEB competition/adventure.

Lets see how many 'unused' services NEB members can travel on in one day.

Bonus NEB awarded for being on a bus (e.g. TB14) with more than 10 passengers.

Photographs required as evidence.

Gtom may win!

(08 Jul 2013, 7:22 pm)gtom wrote [ -> ]Previous mention of TB14 on here. I caught this today whilst doing a home welfare visit to a sick colleague.

I got on the bus at Birtley Komatsu and duly paid my £1. I asked the driver if he had been busy and he said yes, 8 people had used the service. I commented is 8 in a day a lot and he replied...

'A day? That would be a rush, 8 this month and your the first fare paying passenger in 7 months!'

He had a note on a Gateshead Central Taxis document of passengers carried. He described the route as like 'boredom at its worst' and said the company had done figures that it would be cheaper for Nexus to pay for every passenger last year to have their own taxi than to tender out
He may win.

But the 'NEB Taxi-Bus Challenge' encompasses the entire Taxi Bus Network - from the TB15 to the TB503 - not just the TB14!
TB20 and TB21 are just as bad. I really don't see the point in them driving round with nothing but fresh air, and they don't even observe the stops anyway? There's loads of people generally at either stop at Houghton, yet they tend to just fly past.
The TB10 generally carries fresh air as well. Think the most amount of people I've see on that at any one time is 5.
(11 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]TB20 and TB21 are just as bad. I really don't see the point in them driving round with nothing but fresh air, and they don't even observe the stops anyway? There's loads of people generally at either stop at Houghton, yet they tend to just fly past.

Those two serve very little 'unique' stretches of routes - GNE have the main roads taken, with their frequent services.

However, people often get on/off in the abandoned area of Fencehouses that the 178 used to serve.