North East Buses

Full Version: Gateshead Central Taxis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(31 Mar 2020, 3:39 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Also worth noting that the evening/Sunday service in North Tyneside, awarded to GCT from 23 March, is now being operated by Go North East again under contract to Nexus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that because of the current crisis?
(31 Mar 2020, 3:43 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Is that because of the current crisis?

I would assume so because this document says they are 'suspended' - https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...032020.pdf - suggests GCT will run them again at some point or another.
(31 Mar 2020, 5:21 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I would assume so because this document says they are 'suspended' - https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...032020.pdf - suggests GCT will run them again at some point or another.

Thanks Tom, i didn't know that document was online, that's well hidden Tongue
(31 Mar 2020, 5:33 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Thanks Tom, i didn't know that document was online, that's well hidden Tongue

No problem - and I agree it's not very visible haha!
(31 Mar 2020, 3:23 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]GCT up to their old tricks and missing out parts of the route. 

Appreciate the 37 doesn't pick up or drop off many at Biddick Woods, but if it's part of the route, then serve it.

I urge you to note this with Nexus.

How will bus patronage ever pick up if services can't follow a set route simply because the driver CBA!
(01 Apr 2020, 8:18 am)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]I urge you to note this with Nexus.

How will bus patronage ever pick up if services can't follow a set route simply because the driver CBA!

It wouldn't be the first time I've had to mention it to Nexus. 
Think there's an extract of a conversation I had with them about the 37 in this very thread.
(01 Apr 2020, 8:18 am)LeeCalder wrote [ -> ]I urge you to note this with Nexus.

Or if passengers have to pay by cash? Have GCT modernised yet? The cash only thing (even pre COVID 19) was off putting.

(along with the blasting of a radio in the back of the van, sorry bus.)
Hows the 335 been with them since it was extended?
(17 Apr 2020, 9:49 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Hows the 335 been with them since it was extended?

Have seen it once or twice, operated by brand new E200MMCs. 
Never had any problems before it was extended to be fair, but it seems to be an improvement in terms of vehicles. Haven't been on it since the extension though.
Nah,dont suppose anyone can get out and experience atm with this lockdown in place
GNE have lost alot of contracts from May 2020:

PB1099280/118
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 168 Durham Road, East Rainton Durham Road, East Rainton

PB1099280/114
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 85 (86) Concord Bus Station, Washington Columbia, Brady Square

PB1099280/116
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 135 (136) Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange

PB1099280/117
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 39 Pennywell, Prestbury Road Pennywell, Prestbury Road

PB1099280/115
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 81 (82, 83, 84) Concord Bus Station, Washington Station Lane, Birtley

They seem to of won lots of contracts lately... bit of a back hander involved Tongue
(04 May 2020, 5:31 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]GNE have lost alot of contracts from May 2020:

PB1099280/118
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 168 Durham Road, East Rainton Durham Road, East Rainton

PB1099280/114
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 85 (86) Concord Bus Station, Washington Columbia, Brady Square

PB1099280/116
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 135 (136) Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange

PB1099280/117
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 39 Pennywell, Prestbury Road Pennywell, Prestbury Road

PB1099280/115
New CENTRAL TAXIS GATESHEAD LTD 81 (82, 83, 84) Concord Bus Station, Washington Station Lane, Birtley

They seem to of won lots of contracts lately... bit of a back hander involved Tongue

Or maybe they provided the best offer for these contracts?
(04 May 2020, 8:11 pm)pbjd wrote [ -> ]Or maybe they provided the best offer for these contracts?

Yep, unfortunately so. Dan posted originally in the tender discussion thread about the scoring matrix. 90% cost, 7% Euro 6 or better and a mere 3% for quality iirc.

The scoring matrix is what is wrong with the procurement process, not that GCT have ended up winning a load of work. It is creating a race to the bottom, which larger companies will find difficult to compete in. Low cost units were brought in to try and compete in this market, but seems that even they appear to be struggling now.
(04 May 2020, 8:15 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Yep, unfortunately so. Dan posted originally in the tender discussion thread about the scoring matrix. 90% cost, 7% Euro 6 or better and a mere 3% for quality iirc.

The scoring matrix is what is wrong with the procurement process, not that GCT have ended up winning a load of work. It is creating a race to the bottom, which larger companies will find difficult to compete in. Low cost units were brought in to try and compete in this market, but seems that even they appear to be struggling now.

Indeed. It's quite something when a low-carbon certified (fuel-efficient!) Optare Solo, with all the bells and whistles to provide a quality journey for passengers, cannot compete anymore.
(04 May 2020, 8:11 pm)pbjd wrote [ -> ]Or maybe they provided the best offer for these contracts?

It was a joke.....
(04 May 2020, 8:15 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Yep, unfortunately so. Dan posted originally in the tender discussion thread about the scoring matrix. 90% cost, 7% Euro 6 or better and a mere 3% for quality iirc.

Return of the minibus revolution? Whatever you think of them those Fiats and Stratas must bus a damn sight cheaper to operate. Hopefully integrated ticketing can be arranged or passenger numbers could decline to a point where it’s not worth securing the service.
(04 May 2020, 8:36 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Indeed. It's quite something when a low-carbon certified (fuel-efficient!) Optare Solo, with all the bells and whistles to provide a quality journey for passengers, cannot compete anymore.

Will the Sunderland smart zone passes be accepted?
(04 May 2020, 8:40 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Will the Sunderland smart zone passes be accepted?

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have thought so (the SmartZone is a joint ticket between Arriva, Go North East and Stagecoach). It may be that when the operators enter discussions with Nexus regarding ticket acceptance that SmartZone tickets are also accepted however.

For the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic however, Nexus have agreed to accept any tickets on their secured services (reflecting the arrangement NEbus partners have made to do the same on their own services).
(04 May 2020, 8:48 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have thought so (the SmartZone is a joint ticket between Arriva, Go North East and Stagecoach). It may be that when the operators enter discussions with Nexus regarding ticket acceptance that SmartZone tickets are also accepted however.

For the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic however, Nexus have agreed to accept any tickets on their secured services (reflecting the arrangement NEbus partners have made to do the same on their own services).

Wonder how many people who use the 39 will be happy with that arragement though, if they can't use their smartzone pass.

Might put people on to other services making the contract side of the 39 worthless even more than now.
(04 May 2020, 8:40 pm)James101 wrote [ -> ]Return of the minibus revolution? Whatever you think of them those Fiats and Stratas must bus a damn sight cheaper to operate. Hopefully integrated ticketing can be arranged or passenger numbers could decline to a point where it’s not worth securing the service.

Perhaps! I actually found the EVM to be ideal for the 689, when I tried that out a couple of month ago.

I don't know about the 39, but those Washington services could certainly get away with using an EVM most evenings. I just cannot see operators being willing to heavily invest in them, when the only reward is a 1 year contract. Then there's the added problem of what do they do the rest of the time.  

(04 May 2020, 8:40 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Will the Sunderland smart zone passes be accepted?

I'd hope Nexus would have considered that in their acceptance of an economically advantageous bid. In Washington for example, the day and week tickets are priced at £3.60 and £15.00 respectively. The multi-operator alternative to that would be £7.80* a day or £20.10 a week - or a 34% - 116% price increase, if you look at it that way!

* Day Rover as there is no zonal multi operator version of a day ticket.