North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: 2018/19 Financial Year Order Predictions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
(10 Jun 2019, 7:42 pm)BeachBoy99 Wrote: [ -> ]

Think they're just making a mistake. They have this fleet of bright and colourful liveries and they're about to be replaced by all gold. Fantastic brand strategy - not.

I don't see many getting the brand tbh

Express routes:

X1 - Unlikely atm
X6/X7/X20 - X-Lines
X9/X10 - Very unlikely to join the X-Lines for the next few years
X21 - Not likely
X22 - Unlikely - due to interworking
X30/X31/X70/X71 - Very likely
X66 - Unlikely
X84/X85 - Maybe in a few years

----

Why does it not allow you to bold words now?

What will happen with service 6? Will that join the X-Lines brand and maybe be re-numbered?

Trying to claim that the 6 is an express service is pretty bonkers to say the least.

If the X30/X31 are to receive the brand, the 6 would need to be separated from them.

Think they're just making a mistake. They have this fleet of bright and colourful liveries and they're about to be replaced by all gold. Fantastic brand strategy - not.

The thing that separated GNE from Stagecoach and Arriva was the liveries!

In their own words "Our brightly coloured buses are almost as recognisable as the iconic landmarks they visit!"

It's also really helpful in busy bus stations:

A big green bus with an angel on it pulls up - It goes to Durham

A big green bus with fields on it - It goes to Hexham (or Prudhoe, or Crawcrook, or wherever else they can tack on to a 10 before they run out of letters)

A big blue bus pulls up - It goes to Bishop

A hideous orange bus - It goes to Sunderland

A mildly offensive blue bus - It goes to the Metrocentre

You get the picture

I'm not sure they are making a mistake.

Patronage is falling across the country and they need to do something about it.

By creating a uniform identity across their express services, they're pushing the Express elements of their service offer.

Whether it's enough is another matter. 

It's a start though.

I prefer this corporate identity, which promotes an apparently quicker product, over a range of liveries that doesn't have any apparent corporate tie-in and more often than not, doesn't really push the express element of the service.

(10 Jun 2019, 7:53 pm)Michael Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see many getting the brand tbh

Express routes:

X1 - Unlikely atm
X6/X7/X20 - X-Lines
X9/X10 - Very unlikely to join the X-Lines for the next few years
X21 - Not likely
X22 - Unlikely - due to interworking
X30/X31/X70/X71 - Very likely
X66 - Unlikely
X84/X85 - Maybe in a few years

----

Why does it not allow you to bold words now?

X1 maybe for 2019/2020 order Big Grin

The only thought I had for would be for the X31 to return to Hownsgill and the 6 moving to CLS and interwork with the 25 and the 13 going standalone but the timings of the 6 & 25 would be tight with a round trip taking 5 hrs.

Beach Boys 99 opinions, although possibly well intended, I feel are wrong and now, outdated. Some GNE route branding can be very impactful, effective, or in some cases quite amateurish! - One thing they do lack is promotion of a Corporate image, and therefore can be viewed by visitors to the region or casual users as a collection of independent operators lacking the many advantages of an integrated network(for ease of ticketing and travel opportunities)

The Industry as a whole in the North East needs an even more integrated network, linking N.W. Durham (Stanley, Consett etc.. into the extended Nexus Zones integrated with Metro etc...,

Service 6 could be re-branded as Newcastle Diamond (linking at Stanley with previous full Diamond service, now Durham Diamond) or may be bring back Swift, or Magpie (tenuous link to Newcastle, but image as the bird linking it to "Diamond (Tenuously)" but also linking similarly to Rd Kite which also serves N.W. Durham (Consett in this case).

Overall a more Corporate identity is welcome tp promote further future integration, not only within GNE, but also with integrated multi modal options with Metro & local trains

(10 Jun 2019, 9:18 pm)Venturego Wrote: [ -> ]

Beach Boys 99 opinions, although possibly well intended, I feel are wrong and now, outdated. Some GNE route branding can be very impactful, effective, or in some cases quite amateurish! - One thing they do lack is promotion of a Corporate image, and therefore can be viewed by visitors to the region or casual users as a collection of independent operators lacking the many advantages of an integrated network(for ease of ticketing and travel opportunities)

The Industry as a whole in the North East needs an even more integrated network, linking N.W. Durham (Stanley, Consett etc.. into the extended Nexus Zones integrated with Metro etc...,

Service 6 could be re-branded as Newcastle Diamond (linking at Stanley with previous full Diamond service, now Durham Diamond) or may be bring back Swift, or Magpie (tenuous link to Newcastle, but image as the bird linking it to "Diamond (Tenuously)" but also linking similarly to Rd Kite which also serves N.W. Durham (Consett in this case).

Overall a more Corporate identity is welcome tp promote further future integration, not only within GNE, but also with integrated multi modal options with Metro & local trains

To me the range of liveries is their identity, it helps them stand out against the 'boring' liveries that both Arriva and Stagecoach have. Sure, having every route branded probably isn't a good idea, but having a 'flagship' route or two in each area seems good to me. The longer routes in particular I think should have their own dedicated route branding, like Tyne Valley Ten (which I personally hate the look of as it just reminds me of children's TV), The Castles Express, The Angel, X9/X10, The Crusader, 56 (but with some half decent branding)

I like the concept of XLines, having one brand for all the express routes, but I feel like if they take away all the branding then they just become another bus company. What I wouldn't be against would be having XLines for the run of the mill express routes, but then having the 'flagship' routes still independently branded as they are now, maybe having them as a sub brand under Xlines, so maybe 'Castles Express by XLines'. But at that point, you're dealing with sub brands under sub brands. I can only imagine what the NSA would say! "This is the Castles Express Xlines X21 service to Bishop Auckland and Tindale Crescent"

I agree with you on the better integration, what I'd love is if there was a single ticketing scheme shared between all operators in the North East (so have Nexus take over County Durham and Northumberland as well), similar to what they have in London. If we have to have each operator have their own area, then at least make it easy to travel between them. I travel between Gateshead and Bishop using my GNE pass, but if I want to go in any of the surrounding areas, I have to buy an Arriva ticket. It would be so much easier if County Durham was included in the Network one area

Fully Agree
I've worked the position out on the StreetDecks that with the 'X-Lines' getting an upgrade as well as the Red Kites, that is going to leave 8x remaining out of the 30x ordered (8x for X-Lines and 14x for Red Kites. Will the 6 get an upgrade too (under a different brand) or will the other 8x be put to use elsewhere?

Working it out, X-Lines & Red Kites will need 3x spare so that will leave 5x remaining.

(12 Jun 2019, 9:14 pm)L469 YVK Wrote: [ -> ]I've worked the position out on the StreetDecks that with the 'X-Lines' getting an upgrade as well as the Red Kites, that is going to leave 8x remaining out of the 30x ordered (8x for X-Lines and 14x for Red Kites. Will the 6 get an upgrade too (under a different brand) or will the other 8x be put to use elsewhere?

Working it out, X-Lines & Red Kites will need 3x spare so that will leave 5x remaining.

Currently the X70/X71 uses 6 branded B9s which also see operation on the 45pm / 827 / 829. Also the X31 is 3, which if that was to remain the same would require 9. Think it all depends if the changes to the 70/71s are more than just timings.

More info on the new buses from Route one magazine:
Buses magazine have mentioned the Yotong buses are for the Quaylink between Gateshead and Newcastle.

(20 Jun 2019, 5:03 am)Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Buses magazine have mentioned the Yotong buses are for the Quaylink between Gateshead and Newcastle.

Check gne news page. All has been revealed

(20 Jun 2019, 6:03 am)Stanleyone Wrote: [ -> ]

Link below:

http://newsroom.gonortheast.co.uk/news/go-north-east-celebrates-clean-air-day-with-announcement-of-ps12m-investment-in-environmentally-friendly-buses-to-make-buses-even-better-and-help-dot-dot-dot-373083

For the avoidance of doubt, the order is as follows:

• 28x StreetDeck for Consett - to upgrade services 15/15A (to be re-numbered X5/X15), services 45/46/47 (to be re-numbered services X45/X46/X47), service X31, and services X70/X71.
  • 2x StreetDeck for Crook - to supplement the increase in PVR from 19 May, and to replace the spare OmniDekka 6146.
  • 1x StreetDeck float - the UK's first 6-cylinder 7.7l engine model, to be trialled on all double-deck services in the region.
  • 3x ADL Enviro400MMC - to upgrade service X30
  • 11x ADL Enviro200MMC - to upgrade service 97.
  • 9x Yutong Electrics - to upgrade services 53/54.

• The StreetDecks and ADL Enviro400s will all be to 'X-lines' specification.

This is in addition to the 2x Mercedes Sprinters on order to operate a new contract on behalf of the NHS in Newcastle City Centre, commencing from September. The order for this was announced internally to staff earlier this week.

(20 Jun 2019, 5:03 am)Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Buses magazine have mentioned the Yotong buses are for the Quaylink between Gateshead and Newcastle.

(20 Jun 2019, 6:03 am)Stanleyone Wrote: [ -> ]

Howay Michael.....I am disappointed in you haha

(20 Jun 2019, 6:13 am)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]

Link below:

http://newsroom.gonortheast.co.uk/news/go-north-east-celebrates-clean-air-day-with-announcement-of-ps12m-investment-in-environmentally-friendly-buses-to-make-buses-even-better-and-help-dot-dot-dot-373083

For the avoidance of doubt, the order is as follows:

• 28x StreetDeck for Consett - to upgrade services 15/15A (to be re-numbered X5/X15), services 45/46/47 (to be re-numbered services X45/X46/X47), service X31, and services X70/X71.
  • 2x StreetDeck for Crook - to supplement the increase in PVR from 19 May, and to replace the spare OmniDekka 6146.
  • 1x StreetDeck float - the UK's first 6-cylinder 7.7l engine model, to be trialled on all double-deck services in the region.
  • 3x ADL Enviro400MMC - to upgrade service X30
  • 11x ADL Enviro200MMC - to upgrade service 97.
  • 9x Yutong Electrics - to upgrade services 53/54.

• The StreetDecks and ADL Enviro400s will all be to 'X-lines' specification.

This is in addition to the 2x Mercedes Sprinters on order to operate a new contract on behalf of the NHS in Newcastle City Centre, commencing from September. The order for this was announced internally to staff earlier this week.

Will service changes also be published today? Also note that you say all DD will be under Xlines. This mean we will get sneak peak of Castles Express new Xline livery?

So now, let the speculation commence on where the displaced Streetlites and B9s will go...… Wink

(20 Jun 2019, 8:05 am)Kuyoyo Wrote: [ -> ]So now, let the speculation commence on where the displaced Streetlites and B9s will go...… Wink

Deptford (35), Chester-le-Street (13/14/25/X22) and Gateshead (93/94) appear to the be beneficiaries of the cascades on the back of the order.

Streetlite onto the 35 is probably a given. Saltwell Parks onto Loops, with Chester receiving Streetlite and B9s quite plausible too. Slotting in Omnicity and any retained Omnidekka not so easy. Omnicity on the Loops wouldn't be as many lost seats to a Solar over a Streetlite saying that. Much speculation could be made...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19