North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2019
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
i noticed last night that GNE social media was advising customers for the 56 to head to gateshead to start their journey due to traffic problems. My question is if i'm in Newcastle and was planning on buying a single to say Washington would i be expected to pay £1.60 to gateshead then the full fare to Washington or would the drivers let me on in Newcastle and drop me off at gateshead?

(21 Sep 2019, 10:34 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Hope not - should still be branded for Hadrians Wall!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Possibly a mixup for 626? Think 626, 628 and 632 haven't been seen in a while from me yet apparently 636 been out everyday this week

(21 Sep 2019, 6:25 am)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]

How many of those who will be travelling on the X30/X31 will really be worried about the white stripe running into the wheel arch, or the fact it’s X-lines or X lines?

I'm not saying they would be, all I'm saying is the design would look infinitely better if they moved the stripes back just a bit

And as for it being X-lines or X lines, that was more for me because they're not very consistent with how they brand it

I wonder how much GNE's profits will go up with the introduction of the ID policy, so far the journey I'm on has made at least £20 more from people not having ID and being forced to pay the adult fare

(21 Sep 2019, 12:50 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I wonder how much GNE's profits will go up with the introduction of the ID policy, so far the journey I'm on has made at least £20 more from people not having ID and being forced to pay the adult fare

A lot more than it should tbh, it is stupid the way I see it as being a 16 year old myself why a 16 year old needs ID, 95% of people will not have it. Think the ID rule should only count if people look 18+

Got a quary regarding the X21 route, I'm in Bishop now and had the intention of catching it towards Durham/Newcastle from where Morrisons is but been left confused as looked on Google Maps suggests the route (Newcastle bound) stops at the Rail Station bus stop (as does BusTimes and timetables on bus stop) but GNE app and the reality is that it still goes up Newgate Street, so which is it?!

(21 Sep 2019, 2:36 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Got a quary regarding the X21 route, I'm in Bishop now and had the intention of catching it towards Durham/Newcastle from where Morrisons is but been left confused as looked on Google Maps suggests the route (Newcastle bound) stops at the Rail Station bus stop (as does BusTimes and timetables on bus stop) but GNE app and the reality is that it still goes up Newgate Street, so which is it?!
It stops at both the stop where the steps down to the train station are , and the stop outside the medical centre, or at least it lets people off at both. I've always just walked to to the stop at the Medical centre to be on the safe side.

You might as well completely disgregard the GNE app in Bishop, half the stops are missing or say the bus doesn't stop there when it actually does. I've been reporting that issue since May

(21 Sep 2019, 2:40 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]It stops at both the stop where the steps down to the train station are , and the stop outside the medical centre
I Should have been more clear, I meant the Rail Station stop on Bob Hardlsty Drive, attached is the route Google, Traveline etc suggests the route is whilst I have marked in green the route GNE actually observe[Image: cffef4fd2ac60f27b4427d134b253d63.jpg]
(21 Sep 2019, 2:48 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I Should have been more clear, I meant the Rail Station stop on Bob Hardlsty Drive, attached is the route Google, Traveline etc suggests the route is whilst I have marked in green the route GNE actually observe[Image: cffef4fd2ac60f27b4427d134b253d63.jpg]
Well, that green route is and always has been actual route, and Google Maps used to show that as the route, I wonder if they're changing it, or whether it's just is mistake
I honestly would prefer it to go the way Google maps says, it takes ages to get through the lights when it's busy
(21 Sep 2019, 2:53 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Well, that green route is the actual route, and Google Maps used to show that as the route, I wonder if they're changing it, or whether it's just is mistake
Likely an error has been made somewhere when the timetable changed the other week

To confuse me even more just seen 6333 pass Howlands Park & Ride (so doing the evening route) towards Bishop, no clue if this was done in error or if it was to avoid Nevilles Cross due to a police incident earlier, GNE posted the service was delayed by up to 30 minutes and terminating at Gateshead in some cases but said nothing about diverting away from there...
(21 Sep 2019, 3:02 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Likely an error has been made somewhere when the timetable changed the other week

To confuse me even more just seen 6333 pass Howlands Park & Ride (so doing the evening route) towards Bishop, no clue if this was done in error or if it was to avoid Nevilles Cross due to a police incident earlier, GNE posted the service was delayed by up to 30 minutes and terminating at Gateshead in some cases but said nothing about diverting away from there...

Assuming it's the same police incident at Neville's cross, it only lasted about 5 minutes, we were stuck behind it and our driver reported it, but the road was reopened straight away
(21 Sep 2019, 3:05 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Assuming it's the same police incident at Neville's cross, it only lasted about 5 minutes, we were stuck behind it and our driver reported it, but the road was reopened straight away
Probs, seems to be clear now according to Google Maps
(21 Sep 2019, 3:08 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Probs, seems to be clear now according to Google Maps
Hopefully it is, I'm already spending 5 hours on buses today, thank god for air conditioning is all I can say!

Have they actually changed anything with the Streetdecks? I'm sure the engines are a lot quieter on the motorways now, they don't sound like they're about to explode

(21 Sep 2019, 12:58 pm)JM03 wrote [ -> ]

A lot more than it should tbh, it is stupid the way I see it as being a 16 year old myself why a 16 year old needs ID, 95% of people will not have it. Think the ID rule should only count if people look 18+

Think you might be surprised how many 16/17yr olds now have ID, and how many had ID to get into pubs etc. In my opinion where do you draw the line and how easy would it be for an 19yr old to claim the reduced fare as it was happening prior to the change?, so putting it at 16 is the right age to start with ID and it’s only a hassle/nightmare for those who don’t agree with the change or can’t be bothered to get the ID needed.

As a driver since the 8th, personally i’ve only charged 5 people the full fare because there has been a reluctance to get the ID.

(21 Sep 2019, 5:59 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]

Think you might be surprised how many 16/17yr olds now have ID, and how many had ID to get into pubs etc. In my opinion where do you draw the line and how easy would it be for an 19yr old to claim the reduced fare as it was happening prior to the change?, so putting it at 16 is the right age to start with ID and it’s only a hassle/nightmare for those who don’t agree with the change or can’t be bothered to get the ID needed.

As a driver since the 8th, personally i’ve only charged 5 people the full fare because there has been a reluctance to get the ID.

On the X21 between Tindale and Durham today, I think the driver refused a good 5 or 6 people the under 19 ticket so they had to pay the full adult fare, but he was asking each passenger how old they were, and if they said they were 16 or older, he would ask for ID. If they said under 16 he wouldn't bother.

Then again, there are also still drivers who let people on people who are clearly in their late 20s and don't ask for ID.

I think the problem is it still all depends on what the driver thinks a 16 year old looks like, which varies wildly depending on the driver

Yeah I meant 626, the perils of posting from my phone.

(21 Sep 2019, 11:04 am)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]i noticed last night that GNE social media was advising customers for the 56 to head to gateshead to start their journey due to traffic problems. My question is if i'm in Newcastle and was planning on buying a single to say Washington would i be expected to pay £1.60 to gateshead then the full fare to Washington or would the drivers let me on in Newcastle and drop me off at gateshead?

I was wondering that too. It's all well and good assuming everybody has day/weekly/monthly tickets where they can just hop on one bus at Newcastle then onto another at Gateshead, but that's not the case with all passengers.

It could be open to abuse as well if you say would the driver let you on at Newcastle? Someone could pretend they're travelling to Concord etc when in reality they're only travelling from Newcastle to Gateshead and could get themselves a free ride.

(21 Sep 2019, 11:04 am)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]i noticed last night that GNE social media was advising customers for the 56 to head to gateshead to start their journey due to traffic problems. My question is if i'm in Newcastle and was planning on buying a single to say Washington would i be expected to pay £1.60 to gateshead then the full fare to Washington or would the drivers let me on in Newcastle and drop me off at gateshead?

You can still purchase a fare to Newcastle, and then just use that to board a connecting bus to Newcastle. All drivers should be aware of it, as it'll have been announced over the air (and I believe to the ETMs as a driver message)

(21 Sep 2019, 8:43 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]

I was wondering that too. It's all well and good assuming everybody has day/weekly/monthly tickets where they can just hop on one bus at Newcastle then onto another at Gateshead, but that's not the case with all passengers.

It could be open to abuse as well if you say would the driver let you on at Newcastle? Someone could pretend they're travelling to Concord etc when in reality they're only travelling from Newcastle to Gateshead and could get themselves a free ride.

Most people I see travelling on an evening have at least a return ticket, so I think for most people it wouldn't be an issue.

But I would like to think for those who aren't able to travel for 'free', other drivers would be asked to let anyone on who wants to connect onto the 56 for free since in theory they wouldn't be losing any money as the tickets are the same price

I'd imagine the amount of people who would use that to just travel between Newcastle and Gateshead for free would be quite small, plus it's only a £1.60 fare.

Fleet list on GNE site states E200s due next week
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24