North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Talking about reducing service if needed in the current climate, I can see the following being temporarily suspended:
- X39
- 10X
Heading north on 6335,X9 @ 0945 ex Middlesbrough? One these vehicles aren't suited to these routes and two, more importantly (and worryingly, has this vehicle seen a cleaner overnight? Yes it'll have been through the wash and had the vac through but really, if this is the increased standard of cleaning and hygiene could well be better that bus services are suspended.
(18 Mar 2020, 10:17 am)scanialover Wrote: [ -> ]Heading north on 6335,X9 @ 0945 ex Middlesbrough? One these vehicles aren't suited to these routes and two, more importantly (and worryingly, has this vehicle seen a cleaner overnight? Yes it'll have been through the wash and had the vac through but really, if this is the increased standard of cleaning and hygiene could well be better that bus services are suspended.

How can you seriously suggest suspending local bus services it's the last thing that should be happening. We'll be having a shortage of NHS staff as it is to lose even more because people can't get there is riduculous not to mention isolating people from food especially since online deliveries are pretty much full for months.

It doesn't really matter how the clean the bus is, if you don't follow good hygieneyou could catch the disease. I can't comment on the state of the bus your on but the only two things that really matter are the seats and more importantly the handrails, anything else doesn't matter too much as the disease doesn't move on it's own and you shouldn't be touching the floor etc.

Long distance bus routes, coaches and trains etc then maybe as there's not really any need for people to making those sort of trips.
(18 Mar 2020, 11:27 am)Storx Wrote: [ -> ]How can you seriously suggest suspending local bus services it's the last thing that should be happening. We'll be having a shortage of NHS staff as it is to lose even more because people can't get there is riduculous not to mention isolating people from food especially since online deliveries are pretty much full for months.

It doesn't really matter how the clean the bus is, if you don't follow good hygieneyou could catch the disease. I can't comment on the state of the bus your on but the only two things that really matter are the seats and more importantly the handrails, anything else doesn't matter too much as the disease doesn't move on it's own and you shouldn't be touching the floor etc.

Long distance bus routes, coaches and trains etc then maybe as there's not really any need for people to making those sort of trips.

Absolutely agree. This coronavirus malarkey hasn't even phased me in the slightest. I think it's all a load of scaremongering from the media, and the way the British public has responded to it by bulk buying is just selfish and appalling. Makes me sick.
(18 Mar 2020, 11:52 am)BeachBoy99 Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely agree. This coronavirus malarkey hasn't even phased me in the slightest. I think it's all a load of scaremongering from the media, and the way the British public has responded to it by bulk buying is just selfish and appalling. Makes me sick.

It's honestly pathetic. Being Asthmatic I'm supposed to be more 'at risk' but I honestly couldn't care about it. The people who are 'at risk' should self isolate if they're worried and let the rest of us get on with it. For most people it's no worse than a common cold, and it appears that for most people once they've had it they don't get it again. If anything, I'm trying to put myself in situations to catch it!

You should have seen the size of the queue at Costco this morning, no doubt so they can buy all the bog roll! Good thing I stocked up before it became the new Beanie Babies!
Love it! Brought the forum to life. My comment about suspending services was a bit tounge in cheek to be honest. How would I travel to work if they did? That's one thing to look at. Saying that the performance from GNE on the X9/10 - I use it to get to said work - is at best, questionable. We had 6335 on the journey up; wholly unsuitable and now after a changeover at Gateshead, we've been herded onto Crusader 5313 for the journey south, that's if it doesn't shake it's self apart!

Incidentally just where are the 63xx series vehicles that we're bought for, liveried for and supposed to be allocated to these services and...

...are all GNE drivers type trained? Took this guy 10 minutes to get this thing to go forwards!!
I was on 5413 and 5441 today and the first thing that struck me was they were very clean, including the floors. A marked improvement.
(18 Mar 2020, 1:51 pm)streetdeckfan Wrote: [ -> ]It's honestly pathetic. Being Asthmatic I'm supposed to be more 'at risk' but I honestly couldn't care about it. The people who are 'at risk' should self isolate if they're worried and let the rest of us get on with it. For most people it's no worse than a common cold, and it appears that for most people once they've had it they don't get it again. If anything, I'm trying to put myself in situations to catch it!

You should have seen the size of the queue at Costco this morning, no doubt so they can buy all the bog roll! Good thing I stocked up before it became the new Beanie Babies!

It really is, and I'm also asthmatic yet couldn't give a toss about it. Am I frig "self-isolating" and living in fear of it. And all of the bulk-buying is laughable as well. Ridiculous.
(18 Mar 2020, 1:51 pm)streetdeckfan Wrote: [ -> ]It's honestly pathetic. Being Asthmatic I'm supposed to be more 'at risk' but I honestly couldn't care about it. The people who are 'at risk' should self isolate if they're worried and let the rest of us get on with it. For most people it's no worse than a common cold, and it appears that for most people once they've had it they don't get it again. If anything, I'm trying to put myself in situations to catch it!

Christ - how would you suggest that those at risk would get food, household resources etc? 

While I agree that people need to stop panic buying, and that the mentality of a great deal of those in this country is selfish and very "I'm alright Jack", the seriousness of a pandemic should not be underestimated. 

For most, yes, it will be a cold. However you can carry this thing asymptomatically during its incubation period - generally a few days for a virus. In that time think of the amount of people, surfaces etc you'll come into contact with, especially if not isolating. Those people may then be carers, family, social workers, NHS staff - all of which may then pass it across to someone who is very vulnerable to this. People need to start thinking about others - yes you might be okay, but where possible people need to be taking every precaution possible to make sure that they aren't in a position to become infected, or indeed transmit it.
I was going to ask if GNE are planning on reducing down to a Saturday service like other operators are now announcing?

Also I assume the metro centre rally and depot open day will now be off?
(18 Mar 2020, 7:15 pm)mb134 Wrote: [ -> ]Christ - how would you suggest that those at risk would get food, household resources etc? 

While I agree that people need to stop panic buying, and that the mentality of a great deal of those in this country is selfish and very "I'm alright Jack", the seriousness of a pandemic should not be underestimated. 

For most, yes, it will be a cold. However you can carry this thing asymptomatically during its incubation period - generally a few days for a virus. In that time think of the amount of people, surfaces etc you'll come into contact with, especially if not isolating. Those people may then be carers, family, social workers, NHS staff - all of which may then pass it across to someone who is very vulnerable to this. People need to start thinking about others - yes you might be okay, but where possible people need to be taking every precaution possible to make sure that they aren't in a position to become infected, or indeed transmit it.

I somewhat have to agree here, whilst I don't particularly want to self isolate myself, I kinda have to be careful due to my family having health conditions where contracting this could be potentially life threatening and also have some working in care with those who are also at risk. I am only going out when I really need to at this moment in time especially steering clear of public transport although may go for walks round town from next week so I don't go completely crazy.

Whilst all this is totally annoying, it is the best solution to take to try and prevent the virus from further escalating and hopefully resolve it. I still can't fathom the panic buying, I get you need some extra bits in case worst comes to worst but ya don't need 100+ toilet rolls at one time, queue a mile long to get into my local Tesco for opening at 6am this morning, looks like Supermarket Sweep on steroids right now.

(18 Mar 2020, 7:29 pm)mb134 Wrote: [ -> ]You mean their fleet that, bar a handful of vehicles, are all able to be converted to meet spec?
I know this is the GNE thread but to clarify to others (yet again!)...

Only the Volvo B7TLs, 4653/59* and three Commanders can't be converted at Arriva I believe and those are likely to be withdrawn/cascaded by then anyway. *think 4660/61/62/64 can be but uncertain but can't see them hanging around much longer.
Quote:To those selfish people who think they don’t need to care or act responsibly because they’re young and healthy, or believe this is just a flu, spend a few moments watching this. You could just end up helping our health services and save the lives of your relatives, friends, neighbours & colleagues: 
https://youtu.be/edEr3-FnPbw

Fast forward to two weeks from today.

Copied from facebook contributor: "Bonjour-Hi Québec"   #Stayhome  - "It could save a life "

Fast forward to two weeks from today.

You wake up with a deep cough, a fever, and full body aches. You go to the doctor and you’re diagnosed with coronavirus. For the last two weeks, you were unaware that you were infected. For the last two weeks, you’ve continued on with life as normal — coffee shop, spin class, restaurants, bars — refusing to even entertain the idea of “social distancing” because “I don’t feel sick.”

You spend a few days on the couch feeling pretty crummy and then you’re well again. Because you’re young and healthy and invincible.

Your 82-year-old grandfather who you visited last week, the one who wears oxygen and has a long history of COPD and heart failure? ....

Not so lucky....!

....    It’s not about you. !!

#SocialDistancing
Significant changes/service reductions lie ahead? Yesterday at Eldon Square bus concourse I spied notice boards waited to be displayed and the electronic stand indicators displayed a similar message. Nothing on the GNE/Nexus web pages yet.
(20 Mar 2020, 6:56 am)scanialover Wrote: [ -> ]Significant changes/service reductions lie ahead? Yesterday at Eldon Square bus concourse I spied notice boards waited to be displayed and the electronic stand indicators displayed a similar message. Nothing on the GNE/Nexus web pages yet.
All bus companies across the country are facing similar problems, workers advised to stay at home and the evening economy virtually trashed. It’s inevitable that frequencies will be drastically reduced. As most seem to be going from Monday 23rd I wouldn’t rule out GNE following suit. These measures will protect the company and jobs going forward for when this pandemic passes.
(20 Mar 2020, 7:39 am)Stanleyone Wrote: [ -> ]All bus companies across the country are facing similar problems, workers advised to stay at home and the evening economy virtually trashed. It’s inevitable that frequencies will be drastically reduced. As most seem to be going from Monday 23rd I wouldn’t rule out GNE following suit. These measures will protect the company and jobs going forward for when this pandemic passes.
It has been published on Go North East website: 

Enhanced Sunday Service timetable implemented from Monday 23rd March

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/coronavirus/

Home page also carries banner advertising change to enhanced Sunday schedule: https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/
While I'm not surprised it's a little disappointing to see that they've reduced the timetable that much.
From the services I've been using I haven't seen that much of a decrease in passenger numbers, then again I've been staying in Gateshead this week, and it looks like I'll be staying up here with them cutting the X21 at Bishop!
No mention of X32 - so would i assume its not running ?
(20 Mar 2020, 1:58 pm)pww1965 Wrote: [ -> ]No mention of X32 - so would i assume its not running ?
It’s linked in with the X31 so no it won’t run.

(20 Mar 2020, 10:37 am)streetdeckfan Wrote: [ -> ]While I'm not surprised it's a little disappointing to see that they've reduced the timetable that much.
From the services I've been using I haven't seen that much of a decrease in passenger numbers, then again I've been staying in Gateshead this week, and it looks like I'll be staying up here with them cutting the X21 at Bishop!
As it was mentioned on Twitter, the 6 will still run from Bishop to west as now, albeit at a vastly reduced frequency. Very challenging times and to run in direct competition with a vastly reduced passenger availability is risking things in my opinion.
(20 Mar 2020, 2:28 pm)Stanleyone Wrote: [ -> ]It’s linked in with the X31 so no it won’t run.

As it was mentioned on Twitter, the 6 will still run from Bishop to west as now, albeit at a vastly reduced frequency. Very challenging times and to run in direct competition with a vastly reduced passenger availability is risking things in my opinion.

I know it wont happen, but it would be nice if they'd accept my GNE ticket!
To be honest, I think the frequency of the 6 is far too high anyway! Obviously during peak times they need the capacity, but they spend half their time with only a couple passengers
(20 Mar 2020, 2:41 pm)streetdeckfan Wrote: [ -> ]I know it wont happen, but it would be nice if they'd accept my GNE ticket!
To be honest, I think the frequency of the 6 is far too high anyway! Obviously during peak times they need the capacity, but they spend half their time with only a couple passengers
They might in bishop but they don't in Durham and spenny.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28