North East Buses

Full Version: Driver Attitudes/Waves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've had a mixture of rude and polite drivers recently, although I travelled on the X12 today and the driver was behaving as if nobody else existed. We passed several buses from both Arriva & Go North East and drivers waved, although the driver didn't wave back.

I've always wondered why certain drivers don't reply to a friendly wave when they observe, especially when it is drivers from the same company and depot?
I could write a lot. Some good, some had. A lot constructive and worthy of discussion but seeing. as the previous thread was removed without explanation and for no good reason, I'm outa here.
(20 Jul 2020, 8:34 pm)scanialover Wrote: [ -> ]I could write a lot. Some good, some had. A lot constructive and worthy of discussion but seeing. as the previous thread was removed without explanation and for no good reason, I'm outa here.

It's been moved to the Bus Operations, Management & Infrastructure subforum

https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showt...#pid245494
(20 Jul 2020, 8:13 pm)S830OFT Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a mixture of rude and polite drivers recently, although I travelled on the X12 today and the driver was behaving as if nobody else existed. We passed several buses from both Arriva & Go North East and drivers waved, although the driver didn't wave back.

I've always wondered why certain drivers don't reply to a friendly wave when they observe, especially when it is drivers from the same company and depot?
I’ll wave to anyone (even bus drivers...) but some companies will only wave to their own, or indeed their own depot...! Some are just so miserable they won’t wave to anyone, had a few like that at Stagecoach when I worked there!
When I lived in Manchester I noted Stagecoach drivers never seem to wave to one another, not sure if it’s simply because there’s so many of them or it’s a policy?
(20 Jul 2020, 8:13 pm)S830OFT Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a mixture of rude and polite drivers recently, although I travelled on the X12 today and the driver was behaving as if nobody else existed. We passed several buses from both Arriva & Go North East and drivers waved, although the driver didn't wave back.

Some bus drivers just aren’t in the mood and some just literally want to get the day over and done with and go home with little interaction. Family problems, illness, dissatisfaction etc are all factors. I know what all three feel like all once too and sometimes you just aren’t in the mood.
I wave/acknowledge all cyclists when im cycling!
Life is tough for sure, even tougher the life of a bus driver, what and who they have to deal with. For sure I couldn't and wouldn't do it, haven't got the temperament.
(21 Jul 2020, 6:37 pm)scanialover Wrote: [ -> ]Life is tough for sure, even tougher the life of a bus driver, what and who they have to deal with. For sure I couldn't and wouldn't do it, haven't got the temperament.
Everyone is different but I think it’s one of the easiest jobs in the world. Sit and drive around all day and get paid for it, is as easy or as hard as you want to make it. Sure some days are stressful trying to keep to schedules but not many in my opinion.
(21 Jul 2020, 7:38 pm)tyresmoke Wrote: [ -> ]Everyone is different but I think it’s one of the easiest jobs in the world. Sit and drive around all day and get paid for it, is as easy or as hard as you want to make it. Sure some days are stressful trying to keep to schedules but not many in my opinion.
Lol yeah, right. I assume you're a bus driver then yourself? And if not, why not?
(22 Jul 2020, 7:43 pm)Driver9*** Wrote: [ -> ]Lol yeah, right. I assume you're a bus driver then yourself? And if not, why not?
Yes, have been for coming up 10 years now. Still enjoy it, even though I’m mainly on coaches now we do the same work ie school services every day - some services hopefully coming soon. I stand by my comment of its as easy or as hard as you want to make it.
Drivers represent the customer facing part and image of whichever company they work for. As such they should, at all times, demonstrate a level of customer service commensurate with their company and in which, it is my belief, they are trained in.
They should not therefore come to work and take out their grievances, problems and attitudes on their customers and if that is the case, they shouldn't be doing such a job, or indeed, be employed to do so.
I won't do the job based on just what I say. As I mentioned above I don't have the temprement to cope with the demands faced and the attitudes, from the travelling public, that are frequently demonstrated.
It's a fairly universal concept - employers set out a task and the standard they want it achieving to (including customer service requirements) and what their willing to pay. Employees can either find this agreeable and take a job or not. No company is forced to employ someone and no employee is forced to work anywhere.
(23 Jul 2020, 11:56 am)James101 Wrote: [ -> ]It's a fairly universal concept - employers set out a task and the standard they want it achieving to (including customer service requirements) and what their willing to pay. Employees can either find this agreeable and take a job or not. No company is forced to employ someone and no employee is forced to work anywhere.
And to be quite honest with bus companies paying minimum wage or not a lot above it, they're not going to get those tip top employees. Sadly that's the world we find ourselves in. There are a lot better paying jobs out there than driving buses 'putting up' with customers who see you only as a means from A to B. That may have changed in recent times but I'd reckon it'll soon be forgotten again. Shame but it's true.
(23 Jul 2020, 2:56 pm)tyresmoke Wrote: [ -> ]And to be quite honest with bus companies paying minimum wage or not a lot above it, they're not going to get those tip top employees. Sadly that's the world we find ourselves in. There are a lot better paying jobs out there than driving buses 'putting up' with customers who see you only as a means from A to B. That may have changed in recent times but I'd reckon it'll soon be forgotten again. Shame but it's true.

I totally agree bus companies shouldn't be surprised when they struggle to recruit on the salaries they offer. Sadly, with many companies permanently closing from COVID there will be more people in the market for jobs regardless of pay so there's no incentive to increase wages anytime soon. What it doesn't stop companies from doing is demanding a higher output from workers, TrentBarton pay £11.51+/hour and seem to be able to maintain high customer service standards.
Tyresmoke always speaks sense from his knowledge and experience within the industry. His last post reflects a lot of just what is wrong and why we have this business with drivers attitudes - it's perfectly understandable, all drivers have my greatest respect A number of times I've stepped back from a complaint (moan) by virtue of looking at the bigger picture and understanding the pressure and difficulties that are faced.
What I said about myself I stand by. Thankfully I'm in a position where I no longer have to work but then I wouldn't work for clowns, be fed (paid) peanuts - just above minimum wage for the job and responsibility, c'mon! - and have to deal with some of the people that ride our buses So sad that there are guys and gals out there that don't have my choice
(23 Jul 2020, 3:48 pm)James101 Wrote: [ -> ]I totally agree bus companies shouldn't be surprised when they struggle to recruit on the salaries they offer. Sadly, with many companies permanently closing from COVID there will be more people in the market for jobs regardless of pay so there's no incentive to increase wages anytime soon. What it doesn't stop companies from doing is demanding a higher output from workers, TrentBarton pay £11.51+/hour and seem to be able to maintain high customer service standards.

(23 Jul 2020, 3:56 pm)scanialover Wrote: [ -> ]Tyresmoke always speaks sense from his knowledge and experience within the industry. His last post reflects a lot of just what is wrong and why we have this business with drivers attitudes - it's perfectly understandable, all drivers have my greatest respect  A number of times I've stepped back from a complaint (moan) by virtue of looking at the bigger picture and understanding the pressure and difficulties that are faced.
What I said about myself I stand by. Thankfully I'm in a position where I no longer have to work but then I wouldn't work for clowns, be fed (paid) peanuts - just above minimum wage for the job and responsibility, c'mon! - and have to deal with some of the people that ride our buses  So sad that there are guys and gals out there that don't have my choice
To be fair my comment about being just above minimum wage is a stretching it a bit - but only the top rate drivers are above £11/hour in the North East. It's a shame but there's plenty of us on a lot less (me included) but the bigger groups pay more (Stagecoach are certainly over £10/hr) and that's why they can't keep every route going in today's world. 
It's my choice to work for an independent operator but to be fair I enjoy being part of a smaller family business, and I get to work 7-5 Mon-Fri most weeks - help out on weekends when required, which does wonders for my health issues. As many know my previous employer did go down through no fault of my own (only one person to blame but don't get me started!) but Coatham recognised that and took me on. In fact I now have 90% of the work I used to do here from September anyway, just a shame my little baby the X8 doesn't exist but hey ho, I've got other projects to work on now.
(22 Jul 2020, 10:20 pm)tyresmoke Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, have been for coming up 10 years now. Still enjoy it, even though I’m mainly on coaches now we do the same work ie school services every day - some services hopefully coming soon. I stand by my comment of its as easy or as hard as you want to make it.
Fair enough, but I disagree with your comment in bold. Turning a blind eye to an 18 year old asking for a child fare is one thing but letting gangs of teenagers or drunks act like idiots and not getting involved as it's the easy thing to do is quite another. Obviously if you're mainly driving coaches for a private operator you won't get much bother like that I'd imagine. Yes I may be on a quid or so more an hour than you but it hardly makes up for some of the crap and abuse we face nearly every day.

And before you say "Why don't you leave then?", I'd love to but the jobs market is on its arse for obvious reasons at the moment so not much scope of a new employer for the forseeable future......
Well said Driver 9*** . The difference between service work and riding around on school contracts. Fancy, for example, booking on for duty knowing you are going to be on 17's all shift ! Fighting up and down Linthorpe Road, in and out of Yarn, listening to whinging, ungrateful townies all day. Two places I'd end up ? M'bro cop shop or Roseberry Park !! All that s**t for £10 an hour !!
Amazon are hiring on about the same rate as bus driving. If someone doesn’t enjoy their job they can change it.

If it’s changes in pay or conditions you’re after, use the internal and external (union?) mechanisms to try and change it. Accept change may not happen and may be slow if it does.

If you’re trying to change the fact buses have passengers, properly best to start looking for another job.
Pages: 1 2