North East Buses

Full Version: Stagecoach depot capacity changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PB0002404 SI BUSWAYS TRAVEL SERVICES LTD
Director(s): STEVEN WALKER, BRUCE DINGWELL, CARLA STOCKTON-JONES, MICHELLE HARGREAVES

ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT, NORTH BRIDGE STREET, WHEATSHEAF, SUNDERLAND, SR5 1AQ

Decrease at existing operating centre: SLATYFORD DEPOT, SLATYFORD LANE, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NE5 2SE
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 175 vehicle(s)

Decrease at existing operating centre: SOUTH SHIELDS DEPOT, DEAN ROAD, SOUTH SHIELDS, NE33 4HZ
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 100 vehicle(s)

Decrease at existing operating centre: WHEATSHEAF DEPOT, NORTH BRIDGE STREET, SUNDERLAND, SR5 1AQ
New authorisation at this operating centre will be: 150 vehicle(s)

Increase at existing operating centre: WALKERGATE DEPOT, SHIELDS ROAD, WALKER, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NE6 2BZ

Info from the Vosa sheet emailed to me last night

Can't remember how I signed up for it.. sorry
(25 Jun 2021, 2:01 pm)Michael Wrote: [ -> ]PB0002404 SI BUSWAYS TRAVEL SERVICES LTD
Director(s): STEVEN WALKER, BRUCE DINGWELL, CARLA STOCKTON-JONES, MICHELLE HARGREAVES

Decrease at existing operating centre: SLATYFORD DEPOT, SLATYFORD LANE, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NE5 2SE

Decrease at existing operating centre: SOUTH SHIELDS DEPOT, DEAN ROAD, SOUTH SHIELDS, NE33 4HZ

Decrease at existing operating centre: WHEATSHEAF DEPOT, NORTH BRIDGE STREET, SUNDERLAND, SR5 1AQ

Increase at existing operating centre: WALKERGATE DEPOT, SHIELDS ROAD, WALKER, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NE6 2BZ

So what is the current numbers?
What does this mean just wondering I'm confused
(25 Jun 2021, 11:50 pm)Micheal Aaron Wrote: [ -> ]What does this mean just wondering I'm confused

Companies have to register the maximum number of vehicles it wishes to keep at a depot, things like this are just amendments to the capacity. It may just be to house temporary buses or used as a contingency for years to come. Perhaps the decreases are getting rid of loaned or withdrawn vehicles.
(26 Jun 2021, 2:23 am)omnicity4659 Wrote: [ -> ]Companies have to register the maximum number of vehicles it wishes to keep at a depot, things like this are just amendments to the capacity. It may just be to house temporary buses or used as a contingency for years to come. Perhaps the decreases are getting rid of loaned or withdrawn vehicles.

Remember, it's just a theoretical capacity - it doesn't mean that's how many Stagecoach will actually be parking there.  An increase is a clue that there may be some service changes coming up that need more vehicles (a recent, significant, increase at Patchway in Bristol was a clue in advance that Stagecoach were having a bit of an assault on some of the local routes, and now have a decent permanent presence in the area!).  A decrease could imply the opposite, or they may just be disposing of surplus capacity that they haven't used for a while, as I guess it costs them for every nominal allocation whether or not it's actually used.
(25 Jun 2021, 2:01 pm)Michael Wrote: [ -> ]PB0002404 SI BUSWAYS TRAVEL SERVICES LTD

Interesting that they have so many vehicles authorised with the Busways fleet only being about 360 vehicles, and only 338 allocated to depots.

Slatyford 100
South Shields  36
Sunderland  95
Walkergate 107
(26 Jun 2021, 12:27 pm)busmanT Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting that they have so many vehicles authorised with the Busways fleet only being about 360 vehicles, and only 338 allocated to depots.

Slatyford 100
South Shields  36
Sunderland  95
Walkergate 107

It does make you wonder if there is something in the pipeline for a further expansion of operations within Busways, maybe a potential purchase of some of the Arriva operations from across the region might be on the horizon.
(26 Jun 2021, 2:14 pm)Malarkey Wrote: [ -> ]It does make you wonder if there is something in the pipeline for a further expansion of operations within Busways, maybe a potential purchase of some of the Arriva operations from across the region might be on the horizon.
Cleveland Transit appears still to be authorised for 390 vehicles but only has around 120.
(26 Jun 2021, 2:54 pm)busmanT Wrote: [ -> ]Cleveland Transit appears still to be authorised for 390 vehicles but only has around 120.
Is that including Hartlepool. Hartlepool has about 30 buses but only about half seem to be on the road most days.
(01 Jul 2021, 9:34 pm)col87 Wrote: [ -> ]Is that including Hartlepool. Hartlepool has about 30 buses but only about half seem to be on the road most days.
Yes, I think Transit only has 116 buses including Hartlepool.
(26 Jun 2021, 2:14 pm)Malarkey Wrote: [ -> ]It does make you wonder if there is something in the pipeline for a further expansion of operations within Busways, maybe a potential purchase of some of the Arriva operations from across the region might be on the horizon.

They've decreased the numbers..? Not sure how that would make you think they're suddenly thinking about takeovers especially given the climate.