North East Buses

Full Version: Taxibuses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Doesn't seem to be a thread for this so I'll make this one.
There are quite a few taxibus routes around now TB1, TB10, TB21, TB503, etc... 
Are there any changes planned for the existing TB Routes? 
Are the logistics and tendering processes different compared to a normal Neus contract?
Could commercial taxibuses become a thing?
(30 Aug 2021, 8:57 pm)ASX_Terranova Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't seem to be a thread for this so I'll make this one.
There are quite a few taxibus routes around now TB1, TB10, TB21, TB503, etc... 
Are there any changes planned for the existing TB Routes? 
Are the logistics and tendering processes different compared to a normal Neus contract?
Could commercial taxibuses become a thing?
I expect the tender process to be similar, but with tenders only being sent to those Taxi operators who have registered with Nexus as being able to provide this type of work.
Given the very low number of passengers carried by the Taxibus services (from observations of TB14, TB20/21) I can't see any ever becoming commercial!

I think that Taxibuses were introduced quite a few years ago now, and will surely be due for review by Nexus as part of the work on the Bus Service Improvement Plan.
(31 Aug 2021, 5:42 pm)busmanT Wrote: [ -> ]I expect the tender process to be similar, but with tenders only being sent to those Taxi operators who have registered with Nexus as being able to provide this type of work.
Given the very low number of passengers carried by the Taxibus services (from observations of TB14, TB20/21) I can't see any ever becoming commercial!

I think that Taxibuses were introduced quite a few years ago now, and will surely be due for review by Nexus as part of the work on the Bus Service Improvement Plan.
It would be cheaper to operate in terms of fuel and cheaper to buy vehicles than a regular service bus. Espically if a route see less than 8 pax per journey.
Aren't these the exact routes that DRT would be perfect for?
(31 Aug 2021, 7:54 pm)ASX_Terranova Wrote: [ -> ]It would be cheaper to operate in terms of fuel and cheaper to buy vehicles than a regular service bus. Espically if a route see less than 8 pax per journey.

This already exists in the commercial world. UberPool. Only without the restrictions of a fixed route and the convenience of taking you door to door.
Do you need an O-License to Operate a TaxiBus
I've designed a route and timetable that would allow people going to the galleries to get off the bus right outside ASDA, Sainsbury's, Aldi etc.... 

My reasoning for this is firstly, there is nothing towards ayton/birtley about xx20-25. 
Secondly, that people would prefer getting off at more places than just the bus station.
Also, if marketed and branded correctly could be a useful shuttle.
(22 Feb 2024, 4:02 pm)ASX_Terranova Wrote: [ -> ]I've designed a route and timetable that would allow people going to the galleries to get off the bus right outside ASDA, Sainsbury's, Aldi etc.... 

My reasoning for this is firstly, there is nothing towards ayton/birtley about xx20-25. 
Secondly, that people would prefer getting off at more places than just the bus station.
Also, if marketed and branded correctly could be a useful shuttle.

Good idea but 25 mins waiting time at Washington.  Perhaps increase patronage by continuing to Metrocentre perhaps.
(23 Feb 2024, 5:46 pm)ifm001 Wrote: [ -> ]Good idea but 25 mins waiting time at Washington.  Perhaps increase patronage by continuing to Metrocentre perhaps.
That would add running time, and require extra vehicles, this a low cost ev operation designed to feed the galleries in gaps left by GNE.
(23 Feb 2024, 11:31 pm)ASX_Terranova Wrote: [ -> ]That would add running time, and require extra vehicles, this a low cost ev operation designed to feed the galleries in gaps left by GNE.

25 mins I would at least make an express from the galleries to Nissan or amazon and back (to make it pay)

Then again if you look at the obscure taxi bus service station taxis Sunderland operated (Ryhope to national glass centre housing estate) think it was charging £40 a day for a trip there and back with 30min in sunderland City centre

Sure that taxibus is a con as it stops at taxi rank at park lane
(23 Feb 2024, 11:31 pm)ASX_Terranova Wrote: [ -> ]That would add running time, and require extra vehicles, this a low cost ev operation designed to feed the galleries in gaps left by GNE.
It wouldnt.

Team to Valley North to Metrocentre cam be done in less than 10 mins each way which would still work into the pvr you have
(24 Feb 2024, 7:17 am)ifm001 Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldnt.

Team to Valley North to Metrocentre cam be done in less than 10 mins each way which would still work into the pvr you have
Could you do that and still make fit evenly with the 50 & 82 in ayton and lambton though. It needs to leave the galleries between 20 & 25 past whilst going towards the galleries from ayton at about 35 ish
(24 Feb 2024, 10:53 am)ASX_Terranova Wrote: [ -> ]Could you do that and still make fit evenly with the 50 & 82 in ayton and lambton though. It needs to leave the galleries between 20 & 25 past whilst going towards the galleries from ayton at about 35 ish

Well if proving difficult then utlise fhe layover time at Washington as fhe prevoous member suggested and continue from Galleries to Concord and Follingsby Amazon.

Dont waste 25 mins sat doing and making nothing when there could be potential income somewhere.  Just need to work it out.