North East Buses

Full Version: Worswick Street returns…sort of
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One for the nostalgia…For the first time in 26 years Go Ahead will serve Worswick Street, albeit temporarily from Monday 8th August.
Market St East between JDS and Pilgrim, St will be closing temporarily as part of Pilgrim Quarter works and the N21, 51, 56, 57, 58 and 97 will set down only at a temporary stop next to the site of everyone’s favourite demolished bus station before rejoining Market St via lower Pilgrim St.
(31 Jul 2022, 9:54 pm)Ambassador Wrote: [ -> ]One for the nostalgia…For the first time in 26 years Go Ahead will serve Worswick Street, albeit temporarily from Monday 8th August.
Market St East between JDS and Pilgrim, St will be closing temporarily as part of Pilgrim Quarter works and the N21, 51, 56, 57, 58 and 97 will set down only at a temporary stop next to the site of everyone’s favourite demolished bus station before rejoining Market St via lower Pilgrim St.
Pelting down the central motorway under the roundabouts, the left hand turn off Market Street and the road bearing to the right... Got to be done. Just for old times sake. Especially on a decker.

I hope the drivers chuck those B9s about like they did with the Metrobuses, VR's and Atlanteans.
Thanks to Green Road, the days of drivers "chucking" buses about are sadly gone.
In this country probably, in France the buses I travelled were driven like they were stolen.
By the looks of it Worswick street is going to be turned in traffic direction, so over the tyne bridge, first slip road, up pilgrim street, turn right into worswick street, set down (going to be loads who return to board there) up john dobson street, left onto new bridge street west, left onto pilgrim street and then right onto market street, making a loop for buses
Are all the old buildings still there, next to where the bus station used to be and before you get on to Pilgrim Street? They looked like they were ready for demolishing 25 years ago but were still there last year.
All this regeneration of the area - ideal spot for a bus station isn't it.....
(01 Aug 2022, 3:56 pm)Robbie64 Wrote: [ -> ]Are all the old buildings still there, next to where the bus station used to be and before you get on to Pilgrim Street? They looked like they were ready for demolishing 25 years ago but were still there last year.

See this SkyScraperCity thread for current progress pics: 
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/p...-179700991

(01 Aug 2022, 3:44 pm)N1cholas Wrote: [ -> ]By the looks of it Worswick street is going to be turned in traffic direction, so over the tyne bridge, first slip road, up pilgrim street, turn right into worswick street, set down (going to be loads who return to board there) up john dobson street, left onto new bridge street west, left onto pilgrim street and then right onto market street, making a loop for buses

I saw the plans for Worswick St becoming two way but presumed this wouldn’t be done until the Bank House & Pilgrim Place developments were complete, but maybe it’s sooner.

Do you have a link to the closure notice/info for Market Street East please?
I knew it would be happening soon but haven’t noticed any posts from Nexus/bus operators/NCC about it yet.
(01 Aug 2022, 4:10 pm)ne14ne1 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a link to the closure notice/info for Market Street East please?
I knew it would be happening soon but haven’t noticed any posts from Nexus/bus operators/NCC about it yet.

it's on the Nexus site here 

https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...august.pdf
(01 Aug 2022, 4:17 pm)Ambassador Wrote: [ -> ]it's on the Nexus site here 

https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/f...august.pdf
So where do the 97/27 etc pick up people?
(01 Aug 2022, 4:10 pm)ne14ne1 Wrote: [ -> ]See this SkyScraperCity thread for current progress pics: 
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/p...-179700991

I saw the plans for Worswick St becoming two way but presumed this wouldn’t be done until the Bank House & Pilgrim Place developments were complete, but maybe it’s sooner.

Do you have a link to the closure notice/info for Market Street East please?

GNE have literally just posted about it, but it's not exactly prominent on their website: https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/market-str...e-8-august

Edit: also on the Nexus site, but you'll have to scroll down a bit: https://www.nexus.org.uk/bus/updates?ope...nned-works
(01 Aug 2022, 4:20 pm)Unber43 Wrote: [ -> ]So where do the 97/27 etc pick up people?
Market Street - just further up - it's only closed between John Dobson St and Pilgrim St
Spoke too soon. Just spotted the posts  Big Grin
Cheers
(01 Aug 2022, 3:44 pm)N1cholas Wrote: [ -> ]By the looks of it Worswick street is going to be turned in traffic direction, so over the tyne bridge, first slip road, up pilgrim street, turn right into worswick street, set down (going to be loads who return to board there) up john dobson street, left onto new bridge street west, left onto pilgrim street and then right onto market street, making a loop for buses
So buses aren't even going the original route?! 

I'd planned a day off work going back and forth between Microbus and Worswick Street!

I'd envisaged vehicles following the old route in to Worswick St, before turning right on to Pilgrim St and then back on to Market St.
(01 Aug 2022, 4:29 pm)Andreos1 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd envisaged vehicles following the old route in to Worswick St, before turning right on to Pilgrim St and then back on to Market St.

There’s no pavement on the southern side of Worswick St so I guess that’s the reason they will instead enter Worswick St eastbound so passengers can alight onto the pavement on the northern side of the street.
The fact of, after 26 years buses will be serving Worswick Street once again, albeit temporary, but its a moment that will be recorded in history, then in another 26 years, see how much has changed,
(01 Aug 2022, 7:35 pm)ne14ne1 Wrote: [ -> ]There’s no pavement on the southern side of Worswick St so I guess that’s the reason they will instead enter Worswick St eastbound so passengers can alight onto the pavement on the northern side of the street.
Aye, makes sense when you say it like that.
The majority won't be crossing the road going this way either.
Whereas the old route, would have had people crossing in front of buses.
(04 Aug 2022, 5:02 pm)Andreos1 Wrote: [ -> ]Aye, makes sense when you say it like that.
The majority won't be crossing the road going this way either.
Whereas the old route, would have had people crossing in front of buses.

Yeah. I think part of the Bus Loop concept was that if most buses circle the Loop anti-clockwise (as the X1, X10, 21, X21, 25, 28, X72 et all do for example) then passengers alight towards the centre of the city centre, reducing the number of immediate crossings they’d need to make. 
Obviously it can’t work for every single bus route or every single passenger as it depends we’re the heading, but the idea certainly reduces the number of immediate crossings than if all buses circled the Bus Loop clockwise.

Post from NCC regarding changes. It seems Worswick St won’t become two-way yet (that’s planned for a later on), the one-way flow will simply be reversed to eastbound only rather than westbound only.

https://twitter.com/newcastlecc/status/1555207450650968064?s=21&t=_kFR0MoKoWtUeiI7_ClCYQ

“Pilgrim Street will reopen to all vehicles in both directions between New Bridge Street West and Market Street, although southbound there will only be one lane rather than the previous two.

Market Street will close in both directions between Pilgrim Street and John Dobson Street to allow works to be carried out on the south side of the development site.

The one-way traffic flow on Worswick Street will be reversed to reduce the impact of the Market Street closure, so traffic will travel eastbound, from Pilgrim Street towards Carliol Square.”
Why do all buses, the 27, 51/52, 56, 57, 58 and 97 serve Market Street? Worswick Street is a good location for buses, and it's an ideal centralised pick-up and drop off point for passengers. Buses could serve Worswick Street on their way to Eldon Square and Market Street. Not saying all buses, just a few of them, rather than all duplicating each other. How come Worswick Street hasn't been served in 26 years?
(11 Aug 2022, 9:57 am)OrangeArrow49 Wrote: [ -> ]Why do all buses, the 27, 51/52, 56, 57, 58 and 97 serve Market Street? Worswick Street is a good location for buses, and it's an ideal centralised pick-up and drop off point for passengers. Buses could serve Worswick Street on their way to Eldon Square and Market Street. Not saying all buses, just a few of them, rather than all duplicating each other. How come Worswick Street hasn't been served in 26 years?

Maybe because a lot of the buildings surrounding it have been vacant for the last decade or two.

Once Bank House, Pilgrim’s Place, Pilgrim’s Quarter and the old fire & police stations are completed and the area becomes full of life again it could well be worth having buses serving Worswick St once more, for passengers to alight from services on route to Eldon Square or to alleviate pressure on kerb space on Market Street East & West and Pilgrim St - especially if Pilgrim St North, New Bridge Street West & Blackett Street are pedestrianised - fingers crossed.