North East Buses

Full Version: Driver Recruitment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you were a bus driver wasnt it free travel for your family, it is now 75p a week. Starting wage seems to have gone up. 

Fancy a new job? Drive into a greener future with us.
No previous bus driving experience required – full training provided
£10.50 starting wage (£21,300 a year)
Opportunities for overtime, with some drivers earning up to £35,000 a year
All pay rates reviewed annually[/font]
Free bus travel and only 75p a week for your family
Maybe it's to cover any tax implications of providing it? I'd have thought the HMRC would view it as a taxable benefit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
(07 Aug 2022, 10:58 am)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]If you were a bus driver wasnt it free travel for your family, it is now 75p a week. Starting wage seems to have gone up. 

Fancy a new job? Drive into a greener future with us.
No previous bus driving experience required – full training provided
£10.50 starting wage (£21,300 a year)
Opportunities for overtime, with some drivers earning up to £35,000 a year
All pay rates reviewed annually[/font]
Free bus travel and only 75p a week for your family

It has always been that price.  Maybe you are thinking of the stagecoach advert on the radio that mentions free travel for you and your family.
(07 Aug 2022, 11:27 am)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]It has always been that price.  Maybe you are thinking of the stagecoach advert on the radio that mentions free travel for you and your family.
GNE has been free, I know a friend who got free travel cos they lived in the same house hold as a driver

(07 Aug 2022, 11:08 am)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]Tight bastards! Just an unnecessary charge that won't make the slightest difference...  Big Grin
I mean 75p x 52(weeks) x 1000 (drivers) = £39K
Anyway, is this drive recruitment for tarmac or block paving?

(07 Aug 2022, 11:33 am)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]GNE has been free, I know a friend who got free travel cos they lived in the same house hold as a driver

I mean 75p x 52(weeks) x 1000 (drivers) = £39K

Your friend might have got it free, but the driver would have been charged 75p from their wages each week.....
75p is nothing, one trip out a month by your spouse and it pays for itself, you have to be really tight to complain about 75p a week, if they dont need it they dont have to get one but considering you can get 1 partner pass and up to 3 children passes it really is good value
(07 Aug 2022, 11:27 am)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]It has always been that price.  Maybe you are thinking of the stagecoach advert on the radio that mentions free travel for you and your family.

(07 Aug 2022, 11:42 am)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Your friend might have got it free, but the driver would have been charged 75p from their wages each week.....

Perhaps this should have been made clearer to potential applicants before now? It's of course a very small amount of money, but it was marketed as "free" and not "free at the point of use"/75p.
(07 Aug 2022, 11:42 am)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Your friend might have got it free, but the driver would have been charged 75p from their wages each week.....
Well I've never seen that publically said before.

Unless they were advertising it falsely, it was free back in 2016, that's the latest I can see it mentioned, but unfortunately the Internet Archive doesn't seem to have the benefits page from the old website cached.
It seems to be at least since 2020 they've been advertising it as discount travel for family, so I wonder when they switched.

[Image: 2730.png]

https://web.archive.org/web/201603142355...orth-east/
On one of the advertisements it said pay rises were every 4 years.

" Guaranteed pay increases every year for 4 years"
(07 Aug 2022, 11:40 am)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Anyway, is this drive recruitment for tarmac or block paving?

Resin is all the rage these days. You're living the past.
Staff passes are (or at least were when I worked for them) free at Arriva.

GNE is indeed 75p per week (one partner and up to two child passes). Nothing in the grand scheme of things.
(07 Aug 2022, 12:01 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]On one of the advertisements it said pay rises were every 4 years.

" Guaranteed pay increases every year for 4 years"

Start to max of the pay scale?

(07 Aug 2022, 12:44 pm)morritt89 wrote [ -> ]Staff passes are (or at least were when I worked for them) free at Arriva.

GNE is indeed 75p per week (one partner and up to two child passes). Nothing in the grand scheme of things.
As stated one Staff pass , One partner pass (at the same address) valid on Go north east, Stagecoach,Arriva , Shields Ferry and Metro and upto Two child passes (Only valid on Go north east buses) upto the age of 18,   (So really not free travel for your family )
(07 Aug 2022, 12:44 pm)morritt89 wrote [ -> ]Staff passes are (or at least were when I worked for them) free at Arriva.

They're still free at Arriva AFAIK.
Well, with the demise of Yellow Buses, it's clear that Go South Coast are doing a much better job at recruiting drivers than GNE are. GNE actually seem to be losing drivers faster than they're gaining them.

Though if Arriva were to hypothetically go bust, would the majority of drivers turn to GNE, or would they flock to Stagecoach instead?
(07 Aug 2022, 3:39 pm)wibblejunior wrote [ -> ]Well, with the demise of Yellow Buses, it's clear that Go South Coast are doing a much better job at recruiting drivers than GNE are. GNE actually seem to be losing drivers faster than they're gaining them.

Though if Arriva were to hypothetically go bust, would the majority of drivers turn to GNE, or would they flock to Stagecoach instead?

I suspect if Gateshead Central Taxis went bust and Go North East offered to take their drivers on with a £3k bonus, GNE wouldn't have any trouble recruiting drivers either...
(07 Aug 2022, 3:39 pm)wibblejunior wrote [ -> ]Well, with the demise of Yellow Buses, it's clear that Go South Coast are doing a much better job at recruiting drivers than GNE are. GNE actually seem to be losing drivers faster than they're gaining them.

I think Arriva would sell the depots/routes, Belmont would probably be the first one to go up here
(07 Aug 2022, 4:09 pm)Unber43 wrote [ -> ]I think Arriva would sell the depots/routes, Belmont would probably be the first one to go up here

Why... Belmont is probably the worst depot out the lot other than maybe Darlington. It's where most the piss poor routes are like the 56/57/57A etc.

Stockton, Redcar, Blyth or Ashington would go first imo some very strong routes at those 4.
Pages: 1 2