North East Buses

Full Version: Best Large Operator of the Year 2022?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am sure we'll congratulate Go North East being nominated for best large operator of the year by Route One magazine, and no Roger French on the nominations panel either!

On a serious note, I can think of at least 10 operators off the top of my head that should be above three of the four nominations. 

https://www.route-one.net/awards/routeon...announced/
If they genuinely are 'the best' operators around it's no wonder public transport in the UK is a shambles.

I can't think of one thing GNE has done in the past year to deserve an award unless it's services not running because of lack of drivers, strike threats and service cuts are award winning things now.
(10 Aug 2022, 6:03 pm)Storx Wrote: [ -> ]If they genuinely are 'the best' operators around it's no wonder public transport in the UK is a shambles.

I can't think of one thing GNE has done in the past year to deserve an award unless it's services not running because of lack of drivers, strike threats and service cuts are award winning things now.
The way GNE handled the lack of drivers is definitely an example to go by. 

Its better than stagecoaches some services won't run
Can we give gne the awards for most cancelled services (this a joke in case it upsets anyone)
(10 Aug 2022, 5:13 pm)DeltaMan Wrote: [ -> ]I am sure we'll congratulate Go North East being nominated for best large operator of the year by Route One magazine, and no Roger French on the nominations panel either!

On a serious note, I can think of at least 10 operators off the top of my head that should be above three of the four nominations. 

https://www.route-one.net/awards/routeon...announced/

Congratulations for what? Having the most desirable back for colleagues to pat?

Whilst I acknowledge some of this being posted may be an attempt to measure that perceived negativity towards one operator, I've personally held the same opinion on industry awards for years, and I doubt it'll change soon. My real gripe with them is that they're merely an excuse for networking (and a piss up) of senior people across the industry. 

These awards deliver little, if anything, for customers, and they actually fail to recognise the bulk of people employed by the industry - drivers. Yet there's two categories for managers and two for engineers. Why is that the case?

Appreciate that the two new awards can be an individual, but that individual may be competing with a company or team, again limiting any opportunity for recognition of the bulk of any operator's workforce.

Would the time, effort and money put into these awards, not be better spent on initiatives to recognise and award people who work for you? Again, I appreciate that some operators (incl. GNE) already do this, but is it good enough and does it work as enough of an incentive for workers to go the extra mile etc?

I've not really looked at the Route One Awards themselves before, but I managed to find some information about the nomination process, which makes interesting reading: https://www.route-one.net/awards/routeon...announced/

Quote:
  1. Processes for 2022 remain the same as before. Nominations can be made by the supplier side of the industry in 15 of the 16 categories. Once a nomination is received, the person or business concerned will shortly be contacted by routeone Awards organiser and routeone publisher Diversified Communications with an invitation to enter.

2. Those entries will subsequently go forward to the judging process. 2022’s panel is, as ever, formed of experienced members of the industry, who bring a wide level of knowledge in a variety of disciplines to their collective decisions. In people-based categories, those entrants that are subsequently shortlisted by the judges will each be asked to attend an interview with the panel.

Previous routeone Awards have seen businesses large and small and from across the country, and the people they employ, rewarded for their achievements. However, the organisers and judging panel acknowledge that much of the industry continues to rebuild post-pandemic, and thus financial information – including accounts – will not form part of the 2022 routeone Awards judging process.

Of this year’s new categories, Above and Beyond looks for individuals who, or businesses that, have done exactly that in working to support, promote and advocate both their own organisation and the wider coach and bus industry since 2020, with an eye on efforts to ensure a sustainable future post-pandemic. Oustanding Customer Experience will recognise and reward the individual or team that has put their customers’ experience at the forefront of their thinking and intends to keep it there.

Like the 13 other categories that rely on nominations, members of the industry’s supply chain are encouraged to put forward those who they think are deserving of recognition in these new categories. The others open for nominations are:
  • Manager of the Year, small/medium operator (up to 150 vehicles)
  • Manager of the Year, large operator (over 150 vehicles)
  • Engineer of the Year, small/medium operator (up to 150 vehicles)
  • Engineer of the Year, large operator (over 150 vehicles)
  • Best use of Technology (up to 150 vehicles)
  • Best use of Technology (over 150 vehicles)
  • Environment Award
  • Rising Star
  • Small Coach Operator of the Year (up to 15 coaches and/or minicoaches)
  • Medium Coach Operator of the Year (16-50 coaches and/or minicoaches)
  • Small/Medium Bus Operator of the Year (up to 150 buses)
  • Large Coach Operator of the Year (over 50 coaches and/or minicoaches)
  • Large Bus Operator of the Year (over 150 buses).

Criteria for the Rising Star category have been adjusted to remove the previous age cap of 30, in recognition of industry members who may have entered after a career elsewhere, or who only later move to a managerial role. The presentation evening will be rounded off with the Special Award, which is at the judges’ discretion and recognises the winner’s overall contribution to the industry.

Like most other industry awards, the Route One Awards are decided on completely behind closed doors. In this case dealers, manufacturers and suppliers are the only ones eligible to make a nomination, then it is voted on by a panel of 'experts' - not one being an actual customer, of course. 

The actual submission against criteria, if it's like other industries, is submitted by the company that is nominated. So awards are often based on who can say the right thing. The link including the criteria etc seems to be hidden away here: https://routeoneawards.evessiocloud.com/...e/category

"So for Large Bus Operator of the Year, this is defined as:
This category focuses on exceptional performance of large bus operators, with evidence to show exemplary service in every respect.
Eligibility for this category is strictly dependent on the total number of buses operated, not overall fleet size.

Evidence should show:
  • Details of how the business has positioned itself over the 12 months to 17 June 2022 in regard to quality, innovation, training and customer service
  • Proof of achievements in those key areas over that period."

So despite the key measure of success in any of the criteria listed there being the customer, and how satisfied they are, it's instead being judged by a panel of people who are so far detached from the operation that it's unreal.
  • Joan Aitken OBE, former Traffic Commissioner for Scotland
  • Richard Delahoy, Transport Consultant
  • Steve Dewhurst, former Managing Director of Volvo Bus
  • Kevin Middleton, former engineering consultant
  • Peter Nash, former Head of Commercial Policy for Stagecoach UK Bus.
  • Mark Fowles OBE, former Managing Director of Nottingham City Transport
  • Norman Thomas, former Product Engineering Manager for Volvo Bus.

As you can see, a nice and diverse panel. Largely consisting of ageing white men. Is that representative of the customer base, or shall we just admit now that it's nothing more than a back patting exercise.

I'm only surprised everyone's favourite designer wasn't on the panel. He might have even fetched his trousers this time.
(10 Aug 2022, 7:05 pm)Adrian Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations for what? Having the most desirable back for colleagues to pat?

Whilst I acknowledge some of this being posted may be an attempt to measure that perceived negativity towards one operator, I've personally held the same opinion on industry awards for years, and I doubt it'll change soon. My real gripe with them is that they're merely an excuse for networking (and a piss up) of senior people across the industry. 

These awards deliver little, if anything, for customers, and they actually fail to recognise the bulk of people employed by the industry - drivers. Yet there's two categories for managers and two for engineers. Why is that the case?

Appreciate that the two new awards can be an individual, but that individual may be competing with a company or team, again limiting any opportunity for recognition of the bulk of any operator's workforce.

Would the time, effort and money put into these awards, not be better spent on initiatives to recognise and award people who work for you? Again, I appreciate that some operators (incl. GNE) already do this, but is it good enough and does it work as enough of an incentive for workers to go the extra mile etc?

I've not really looked at the Route One Awards themselves before, but I managed to find some information about the nomination process, which makes interesting reading: https://www.route-one.net/awards/routeon...announced/

Like most other industry awards, the Route One Awards are decided on completely behind closed doors. In this case dealers, manufacturers and suppliers are the only ones eligible to make a nomination, then it is voted on by a panel of 'experts' - not one being an actual customer, of course. 

The actual submission against criteria, if it's like other industries, is submitted by the company that is nominated. So awards are often based on who can say the right thing. The link including the criteria etc seems to be hidden away here: https://routeoneawards.evessiocloud.com/...e/category

This category focuses on exceptional performance of large bus operators, with evidence to show exemplary service in every respect.
Eligibility for this category is strictly dependent on the total number of buses operated, not overall fleet size.

Evidence should show:
  • Details of how the business has positioned itself over the 12 months to 17 June 2022 in regard to quality, innovation, training and customer service

So despite the key measure of success in any of the criteria listed there being the customer, and how satisfied they are, it's instead being judged by a panel of people who are so far detached from the operation that it's unreal.

As you can see, a nice and diverse panel. Largely consisting of ageing white men. Is that representative of the customer base, or shall we just admit now that it's nothing more than a back patting exercise.

I'm only surprised everyone's favourite designer wasn't on the panel. He might have even fetched his trousers this time.
I don't have a problem with industry awards. The National Rail awards are the most egregious to be honest, as are some of the call centre ones. 

My main bugbear is the question of self awareness of some of the applicants.

If I was in charge of a company which presided over a range of cuts over a 18 montb period, industrial disputes, depot closures and financial loses, the last thing I'd be thinking of is putting in a submission as large bus operator of the year.
(10 Aug 2022, 6:06 pm)Unber43 Wrote: [ -> ]The way GNE handled the lack of drivers is definitely an example to go by. 

Its better than stagecoaches some services won't run

Not running services isn't something you should ever get an award for though regardless to communication. I don't think any of the NE operators deserve any awards for being good to be balanced. None of them have done anything to deserve it.

British Airways won't be winning an award because they cancelled the majority of their short haul flights to avoid disruption in advance. Then again no doubt they'll win something.
Unless there's a bus operator equivalent of the Golden Raspberry Awards, then I doubt GNE will even be able to come close to winning an award in its current state.
(11 Aug 2022, 10:23 am)wibblejunior Wrote: [ -> ]Unless there's a bus operator equivalent of the Golden Raspberry Awards, then I doubt GNE will even be able to come close to winning an award in its current state.
I suppose it depends on what garbage was in the submission.

Good luck to them for if/when any covert usage is carried out by the judging panel.

If there was a year for GNE to step back from such frivolities. It was this one
(10 Aug 2022, 7:05 pm)Adrian Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations for what? Having the most desirable back for colleagues to pat?

[b]This category focuses on exceptional performance of large bus operators, with evidence to show exemplary service in every respect.

Evidence should show:
[/b]

You've saved me a job.

Imagine having the audacity to go and collect that particular award (should they win it), after the year they've had?

Imagine passengers finding out this particular operator has been nominated? 

I reckon local media could fill some column inches too. 

If there was ever evidence enough of industry back patting awards missing the mark completely...
This one is flying high and wide.