North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Following on from our already established Go North East and Stagecoach North East Service Suggestions threads, I invite you all to come up with some Arriva North East suggestions also. I'm sure there must be one or two services out there we think we could improve! Wink
Recently, I have noticed terrible reliability on the X15 and X18, more often the X18. I mean, this is understandable due to the length of the route, but something should be done. I have a suggestion to try and minimize the disruption to these services.

Service X15 will continue to operate in its current form. However, the timetable should be amended so there is a longer layover time at each end to improve reliability.

Service X18 will continue to operate via its current route to Alnwick, but will now operate to Berwick via the X15 route to improve frequency in this area. A new X17 service should be introduced to operate from Alnwick to Berwick via the current X18 route but will service Boulmer and Howick. This will also replace the current 472 route. They will connect at Alnwick, but this is not guaranteed.

What do you guys think?
Now in the Newcastle area we have various services going deep into the heart of Northumberland to Carlise and to the Scottish Borders to Berwick etc, so here is my suggestion, not fussed on who would operate the service, but I thought it would be suitable to put in here as Arriva operate to these areas and it would make sense for them to operate the services.

Here are my Suggestions

Sunderland to Carlisle - Hourly
Sunderland to Scarborough - 2-3 times a day early mornings/evenings
Sunderland to Berwick/Alnwick with a view to an extension to Edinburgh possibly - Hourly
Newcastle to Hartlepool via Heworth - Washington - Houghton le Spring -Peterlee and Middlesbrough - Half Hourly
I would hate to travel on a service bus to Edinburgh. It's bad enough travelling on a 60 mile, two-and-a-quarter hour journey between Newcastle and Carlisle. Travelling to Edinburgh would be double that (plus however long it takes to get from Sunderland to Newcastle (or Gosforth Park if using the A1); it would be absolute hell. By the time it reached Berwick I would wondering why I got on this bus; by the time it reached Ayton, Eyemouth or Cockburnspath I would be suicidal.

However, I do agree that Sunderland should have better long-distance access.
(24 Jul 2013, 9:50 pm)AdamY Wrote: [ -> ]I would hate to travel on a service bus to Edinburgh. It's bad enough travelling on a 60 mile, two-and-a-quarter hour journey between Newcastle and Carlisle. Travelling to Edinburgh would be double that (plus however long it takes to get from Sunderland to Newcastle (or Gosforth Park if using the A1); it would be absolute hell. By the time it reached Berwick I would wondering why I got on this bus; by the time it reached Ayton, Eyemouth or Cockburnspath I would be suicidal.

However, I do agree that Sunderland should have better long-distance access.

Yeah Edinburgh was a bit much, just a thought on a new link.

Sunderland to Berwick would be ok using this route.

Sunderland Interchange - Queen Alexandra Bridge - A19 via Heworth Bypass Nonstop to Gateshead - Newcastle Haymarket - Then Normal Route to Berwick with a few adjustments to make the service quicker.

To Carlisle would be Sunderland Interchange - Queen Alexandra Bridge - A19 Direct to MetroCentre via Washington Galleries and The Angel of the North then follow GNE Service 10 to Hexham then 685 to Carlisle
I think the Newcastle to Hartlepool link would work, minus the detour to Middlesbrough. Didn't the old X5 run that route? I think it'd work on two fronts:- increase of frequency between Newcastle and Houghton Le Spring, and an increase of frequency between Heworth and Washington.
SERVICE X51 (MONDAY - SUNDAY ALL DAY EVERY 60 MINUTES) SERVING: NEWCASTLE >>> REGENT CENTRE >>> MORPETH BUS STATION - PEGSWOOD STORES - LONGHIRST - ULGHAM - WIDDRINGTON STATION - HADSTON RED ROW - BROOMHILL - AMBLE FORUWAYS - WARKWORTH - ALNMOUTH STATION - ALNMOUTH ARGYLE STREET - ALNWICK BUS STATION

SERVICE X52 (MONDAY - SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 60 MINUTES) SERVING: NEWCASTLE >>> REGENT CENTRE >>> MORPETH BUS STATION - PEGSWOOD HEALTH CENTRE - PEGSWOOD STORES - LONGHIRST - ULGHAM - WIDDRINGTON STATION - FELTON - SHILBOTTLE - ALNWICK BUS STATION

SERVICE X53 (MONDAY - SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 90 MINUTES, BUSES WILL CONTINUE FROM SERVICE X51 OR X52 EVERY 3 HOURS ON BOTH ROUTES) SERVING: ALNWICK BUS STATION - WARENFORD - BELFORD - BEAL HOLY ISLAND END RD - HAGGERSTON CASTLE - SCREMERSTON WAR MEMORIAL - BERWICK GOLDEN SQUARE - BERWICK BUS STATION

SERVICE X54 (MONDAY - SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 90 MINUTES) SERVING: THE CURRENT X18 ROUTE BETWEEN ALNWICK AND BERWICK VIA THE COAST

SERVICE X55 (EVENINGS AND SUNDAYS EVERY 120 MINUTES) SERVING: THE CURRENT X15 ROUTE BETWEEN NEWCASTLE AND ALNWICK THEN THE NEW X54 ROUTE BETWEEN ALNWICK AND BERWICK VIA THE COAST

SERVICE X56 (MONDAY - SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 60 MINUTES) SERVING: NEWCASTLE >>> REGENT CENTRE >>> MORPETH >>> ASHINGTON >>> NORTH SEATON >>> WANSBECK HOSPITAL THEN THE CURRENT X20 ROUTE TO AMBLE

SERVICE X57 (MONDAY TO SATURDAY DAYTIME EVERY 60 MINUTES / EVENINGS AND SUNDAYS EVERY 120 MINUTES) SERVING: THE CURRENT X14/154 ROUTE BETWEEN NEWCASTLE AND THORPTON
Any Arriva routes to be introduced in South Tyneside mainly

501 South Shields to Sunderland via Sea Front, Whitburn and Seaburn
competing with Stagecoach E1

505 South Shields to Gateshead/Newcastle, via Chichester, District Hospital, Whiteleas, Boldon Asda, Heworth. competing with GNE 5 in parts

510/511 South Shields to Jarrow, via New Crown, Horsley Hill, Nook, Hospital, Whiteleas, Biddick Hall, Simonside, Low Simonside, competing with Stagecoach 10/11

518 South Shields to Brockley Whins Metro, Via Chichester, Stanhope Road and Simonside, competing with Stagecoach 18

527 South Shields to Newcastle, via Tyne Dock, Jarrow, Hebburn and Heworth, competing with GNE 27

535 South Shields to Sunderland, via Cleadon and Fulwell,competing with GNE 35

555 South Shields to Morpeth, via Westoe, Harton Nook, Hospital, John Reid Road, Simonside, Jarrow, Tyne Tunnel, Cramlington,, New Service
Like the 555 Idea, but the rest would never happen
555 would have to be re numbered due to quorum shuttle..

heres my idea

bring back the 56 under a new route

North shields - Meadowell - Howdon (then up Churchill street) - Battle Hill - Benton Asda - Four lane ends - West moor - Killingworth east bailey the 63 way and into the bus station
Sunderland need more Arriva routes as its a Sunderland Company... 2 routes isn't good enough, really i don't know how arriva would fit more buses in Sunderland as GNE/Stagecoach have it mostly covered)

100 - (Not sure on what numbers have used for the NE) -

Sunderland - Fawcett Street - Southwick - Tesco (Theirs a turning circle their) - Castletown - (Would turn at the dr's) - Every 30 mins

101 - Grangetown - ASDA - Southmoor school - Sunderland - Wheatchef - Seaburn - Roker - Every 30 mins.
I think it's the dead mileage that put Arriva off trampling on SC/GNE territory, when it's possible their services may not be successful.

That said, it's interesting having Grangetown as a terminus and I'd like to see Arriva expand further into Sunderland. I know Stagecoach's 10 terminates at Grangetown, but this is at the Queen Alexandra public house rather than the small off-shot bus road thing, where I assume your proposed 101 service would terminate.

If that stop at Grangetown wasn't so narrow, it would be great to see it put to more use - but is there enough custom in the area for direct buses rather than having to have one or two swaps?
The comment about dead mileage is interesting. Obviously it would be nowhere near the levels that regular services would incur - but the evening Nexus runs that are based out of Belmont and cover Washington/Sunderland, must be quite an amount.

Is there the possibility of some sort of outstation in the Sunderland area like GNE have at Crook, Consett or Peterlee?
Didnt think about dead milage, arriva would find it hard.. would love to see more of their services in Sunderland
Not specifically related to Sunderland, but more to the possibility of an Arriva outstation.

If Arriva were to bid for Lot Three in the QCS proposals, then I suspect that the Classic/TGM depot will probably used as an outstation for some of the North-West Durham services if the bid was won.
(28 Jul 2013, 10:47 am)Andreos1 Wrote: [ -> ]The comment about dead mileage is interesting. Obviously it would be nowhere near the levels that regular services would incur - but the evening Nexus runs that are based out of Belmont and cover Washington/Sunderland, must be quite an amount.

Is there the possibility of some sort of outstation in the Sunderland area like GNE have at Crook, Consett or Peterlee?

26A is no longer an Arriva Contract (GNE now have it).

They only have M2/M3, and Washington to Belmont is not that far. Similar to GNE running light to South Shields from Gateshead (Metro Centre from 2014).
Ah I didnt realise there had been a change again.

Either way, an empty run from Belmont and back was a canny hike.

The starts from Heworth/Concord aren't just around the corner either.

CatsFast101

Which depot does the 23 currently work out of?
(28 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm)CatsFast101 Wrote: [ -> ]Which depot does the 23 currently work out of?

Belmont (Durham).
If I recall correctly, didn't the 26A run off a 23 when it was operated by ANE rather than GNE? I seem to remember a Solo reverse into the stands at Park Lane and three minutes before it was due, speed round Stockton Rd etc to get to the other side of Park Lane then the driver would wait in the layover at that side before pulling into the stand and departing.
Couldn't say about the 26a running off a 23, but there was a Solo usually running light out of Belmont towards Sunderland on the A690 just after 8pm every night.
If it was heading to Washington, then there would be quicker ways to get there (A1, A195 etc).
If it wasn't a 26a or M2/M3, what else could it have been?

Used to spot it regularly either after a game of football at Soccerena, a trip to Tesco or when heading home after getting off the 19.52 train into Durham.