North East Buses

Full Version: Tender Discussion Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(04 Jun 2014, 7:15 pm)GuyParkRoyal wrote [ -> ]From a strategic point of view GNE would be wise to remain in school contracts based on the situation when they let school contracts slip in the early 1990's. Along came Classic picking up school contracts then when they had a reasonable number of buses they used them to compete with GNE outside of school contract hours on the Chester le Street to Newcastle routes.
I don't think GNE would like to see a competitor start expanding in the schools contract sector to move in to commercial work on their patch.

I would be devastated if my scholars bus was run by an independant. GNE would indeed be very cautious to remain in the scholars game as they do make a lot of money on them.
(04 Jun 2014, 8:31 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]I would be devastated if my scholars bus was run by an independant. GNE would indeed be very cautious to remain in the scholars game as they do make a lot of money on them.

mine when i joined this year had been Stanley travel for the first week
tyresmoke Wrote:
Up for tender from July with Nexus are

37/73 Doxford Park - Coach Road - Sunderland
Mon-Sat daytime - Euro 4 - PVR 3
38C Sunderland - Tunstall Bank
Evening & Sunday - Euro 4 - PVR 1
88 Lukes Lane - South Shields
Mon-Sun evening - Euro 4 - PVR 4

96/96A Metrocentre - Lobley Hill
Mon-Sun evening - Euro 4 - PVR 1
135/136 Sunderland - Hylton Circulars
Mon-Sat evening, Sunday - Euro 4 - PVR 2

515/558 Heworth - Hebburn/Seaburn
Mon-Sun daytime (515 not Sun) - Euro 4 - PVR 2
643 Metrocentre - Watergate Estate
Mon-Sat daytime - Euro 4 - PVR 1
size restriction due to small estate roads
R3/R4/R6 Clara Vale - Blaydon - Rowlands Gill local services
Mon-Sun all day - Euro 4 - PVR 3

Plus around 40 miscellaneous workings boards (mainly schools & works services I understand)

The ones in bold is the ones which hasn't being registered on VOSA yet.
(04 Jun 2014, 8:31 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]I would be devastated if my scholars bus was run by an independant. GNE would indeed be very cautious to remain in the scholars game as they do make a lot of money on them.

Devastated seems a bit of a strong word!
(05 Jun 2014, 2:06 pm)gtom wrote [ -> ]Devastated seems a bit of a strong word!

I thought so too.

I've stated this many time before but, personally, I could care less who operates my bus as long as it gets me to where I want to be within the allotted time given.

Thats absolute tosh.

Most school buses work around normal service work for one reason only.

They never stack up by themselves.

Scholars daily rates are not good enough and they only help pay for the bus with the commercial work in the daytime making the profit.
(05 Jun 2014, 5:35 pm)VolvoMarkII wrote [ -> ]Thats absolute tosh.

Most school buses work around normal service work for one reason only.

They never stack up by themselves.

Scholars daily rates are not good enough and they only help pay for the bus with the commercial work in the daytime making the profit.

Go North East have a lot of standalone scholar service workings - although primarily found in County Durham.

They wouldn't go for these if they weren't making a profit from them, surely?
(05 Jun 2014, 5:37 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Go North East have a lot of standalone scholar service workings - although primarily found in County Durham.

They wouldn't go for these if they weren't making a profit from them, surely?

I wonder if the Co Durham peak fares help profits?
(05 Jun 2014, 5:39 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]I wonder if the Co Durham peak fares help profits?

I'd imagine. There's no (or little) subsidy in Co. Durham, so it's up to commercial operators to create their own schemes if they choose to do so. I think the peak/off peak is GNE only in Co. Durham though? Arriva is half the full fare, capped at £1.
(05 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I'd imagine. There's no (or little) subsidy in Co. Durham, so it's up to commercial operators to create their own schemes if they choose to do so. I think the peak/off peak is GNE only in Co. Durham though? Arriva is half the full fare, capped at £1.

What's the fares like for kids down in Lincoln? I'm sure I heard something about child fares being non-existent at peak times when they're travelling to/from school and they're forced to buy Adult Dayriders as it is the cheapest method.

Was something crazy along those lines anyway.
Indeed.

When travelling on Schooldays before 0900 adult single fare will be charged. A peak child return fare is available priced at 2/3 of the adult return.

The rules may vary when the service is financially funded by Lincolnshire County Council. Children pay 2/3 of the adult single and return fares at all times.

All passengers who are aged sixteen and above are charged adult fare, unless using a valid council issued pass. Children who have reached the age of sixteen but are travelling to / from school continue to pay the appropriate child rate until the end of the current school year.
(05 Jun 2014, 7:21 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]What's the fares like for kids down in Lincoln? I'm sure I heard something about child fares being non-existent at peak times when they're travelling to/from school and they're forced to buy Adult Dayriders as it is the cheapest method.

Was something crazy along those lines anyway.

I can ask the question, but being out in the sticks - fares may be different.

Other cities and counties offer great deals.

It is worth noting, DCC often assist with fares to/from schools.
(05 Jun 2014, 7:24 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Indeed.

That's the one. Knew it was ridiculously awkward to travel as a kid on a schoolday, and I was fairly positive in telling the person I discussed it with at the time that it is a lot cheaper to travel up here, providing you have the appropriate bus pass, regardless of which county you're travelling in.
(05 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]That's the one. Knew it was ridiculously awkward to travel as a kid on a schoolday, and I was fairly positive in telling the person I discussed it with at the time that it is a lot cheaper to travel up here, providing you have the appropriate bus pass, regardless of which county you're travelling in.

I think that's the only place I've seen fares like that, as almost every county of the UK I have been to have always charged half fares regardless of the time. It's shocking really, and is just going to put people off using public transport to travel to school.
(05 Jun 2014, 7:32 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I think that's the only place I've seen fares like that, as almost every county of the UK I have been to have always charged half fares regardless of the time. It's shocking really, and is just going to put people off using public transport to travel to school.

Does mean that Stagecoach rake in the cash from those who cannot find an alternative means of travel though!
Go North East do that in County Durham, just a lot less extreme (in my opinion).
(05 Jun 2014, 7:34 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Does mean that Stagecoach rake in the cash from those who cannot find an alternative means of travel though!
Go North East do that in County Durham, just a lot less extreme (in my opinion).

Guess so! I reckon Tyne & Wear has the best concessionary child fares in the country - £1.10 for a day ticket is brilliant value.
(05 Jun 2014, 7:36 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Guess so! I reckon Tyne & Wear has the best concessionary child fares in the country - £1.10 for a day ticket is brilliant value.

You're spoilt! Had kids on this morning paying £1.50 for a single to school in Guisborough...
(05 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I'd imagine. There's no (or little) subsidy in Co. Durham, so it's up to commercial operators to create their own schemes if they choose to do so. I think the peak/off peak is GNE only in Co. Durham though? Arriva is half the full fare, capped at £1.

Can't the teen card not be used til after 6 though? Meaning scholars are charged half fares? So £4.00 fare would be £2.00 but 14+ pay full fare as half fares no longer apply. So GNE could still be better value.
VOSA reveals more information about the upcoming tenders, as seen in Michael's post from the Go North East - Latest section below:

(09 Jun 2014, 3:48 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]PB0002400/444 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted: Operating between South Shields Market and Hebburn Lukes Lane Estate given service number 88 / 88A effective from 27-Jul-2014. To amend Timetable.

PB0002400/481 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Variation Accepted: Operating between Sunderland, Park Lane Interchange and Houghton Le Spring, The Broadway given service number 238/38/38C effective from 27-Jul-2014. To amend Timetable.

Still somewhat irritated that Go North East hasn't retained services 96/96A, as this means it's a different operator at night to what it is during the day! On the right path though, with the opposite happening for service 38C (though I'd assume this is more down to the fact Go North East had the cheapest bid rather than Nexus giving the tender to Go North East for the right reasons).
(09 Jun 2014, 3:50 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]VOSA reveals more information about the upcoming tenders, as seen in Michael's post from the Go North East - Latest section below:

Still somewhat irritated that Go North East hasn't retained services 96/96A, as this means it's a different operator at night to what it is during the day! On the right path though, with the opposite happening for service 38C (though I'd assume this is more down to the fact Go North East had the cheapest bid rather than Nexus giving the tender to Go North East for the right reasons).

Opps thanks Dan i forgot to put them in here!