Forum County Durham Independents
replies 85, views 59,239
james solomon Yesterday, 2:31 pm
Forum Teesside Independents
replies 1, views 2,291
james solomon Yesterday, 2:30 pm
Demonstrations in Newcastle
by omnicity4659, 23 Feb 2015, 3:20 pm
So, just to ruin what would be one of the longest days in Newcastle taking photos of the trains... Demonstrations.

Does anyone have first-hand experience on demonstrations? How will Metro cope? Is it safe? Are buses going to be safe? Will it be safer for me and my mam to go by train from Morpeth to Newcastle?

Any help on this matter will be appreciated,
Tommy.

Edit: the demonstrations will be on the 28th February. 

So, just to ruin what would be one of the longest days in Newcastle taking photos of the trains... Demonstrations.

Does anyone have first-hand experience on demonstrations? How will Metro cope? Is it safe? Are buses going to be safe? Will it be safer for me and my mam to go by train from Morpeth to Newcastle?

Any help on this matter will be appreciated,
Tommy.

Edit: the demonstrations will be on the 28th February. 

Stagecoach North East: Order Predictions
by Dan, 22 Feb 2015, 2:41 pm
Following on from discussion in the "Tender Discussion" thread, I've decided it would be a bit of fun to set up an order predictions thread for 2015, similar to what we have for other operators in the region.

I will post my predictions in a separate post.

Following on from discussion in the "Tender Discussion" thread, I've decided it would be a bit of fun to set up an order predictions thread for 2015, similar to what we have for other operators in the region.

I will post my predictions in a separate post.

Go-Ahead Half Year Results 2014/15
by Dan, 19 Feb 2015, 8:35 am
The Go-Ahead half year results for the six months ending 27 December 2014 have been published:
http://go-ahead.com/~/media/Files/G/Go-A...022015.pdf

Business Overview:
  • Overall results in line with management expectations. Full year expectations are unchanged
  • Bus operating profit up 8.4% to £45.1m, in line with strategic target
  • Rail operating profit down 2.9% to £10.2m, with margins reducing to 0.9%. Contribution to the Government increased to £108.2m
  • Challenging start to GTR franchise. Investment already underway to improve performance for passengers
  • Working with Network Rail to minimise disruption to rail passengers during major infrastructure projects, in particular the £6.5 billion Thameslink Programme
  • Proposed interim dividend increased by 4.3% to 26.6p (H1’14: 25.5p), in line with 2013/14 full year dividend increase
  • Shortlisted for Northern and TransPennine Express franchises. Exploring overseas bus and rail opportunities
  • Strong cashflow and reduction in adjusted net debt
Go-Ahead Half Year Results 2014/15
by Dan, 19 Feb 2015, 8:35 am

The Go-Ahead half year results for the six months ending 27 December 2014 have been published:
http://go-ahead.com/~/media/Files/G/Go-A...022015.pdf

Business Overview:

• Overall results in line with management expectations. Full year expectations are unchanged
  • Bus operating profit up 8.4% to £45.1m, in line with strategic target
  • Rail operating profit down 2.9% to £10.2m, with margins reducing to 0.9%. Contribution to the Government increased to £108.2m
  • Challenging start to GTR franchise. Investment already underway to improve performance for passengers
  • Working with Network Rail to minimise disruption to rail passengers during major infrastructure projects, in particular the £6.5 billion Thameslink Programme
  • Proposed interim dividend increased by 4.3% to 26.6p (H1’14: 25.5p), in line with 2013/14 full year dividend increase
  • Shortlisted for Northern and TransPennine Express franchises. Exploring overseas bus and rail opportunities
  • Strong cashflow and reduction in adjusted net debt

Tyne and Wear Bus Way
by Malarkey, 17 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm
Just out of curiosity as I am quite interested in this topic which has been discussed in other Threads my other members who would like to see a Bus Way, But how much do you think it would cost to do a complete Network Overhaul of the current Unreliable and Aging Tyne and Wear Metro, with there being quite a lot factors to take into account.

[*]Replacing 74.5m (46.3 Miles) of Track with Tarmac
[*]Scrapping of Trains and Track along with other Infrastructure.
[*]Modifications of 60 Stations across the Network along with Modifications of the Metro Bridge between Gateshead and Newcastle.
[*]Cost of New Buses.

There probably likely to be even more factors to take into account which I havent yet thought of. So would it be Money well spent, Would it be a Risk in terms of further Council Cuts, Increase in Taxes and other Services etc, Would there be any Benefits from such an Overhaul in the Long Term. 
Tyne and Wear Bus Way
by Malarkey, 17 Feb 2015, 10:14 pm

Just out of curiosity as I am quite interested in this topic which has been discussed in other Threads my other members who would like to see a Bus Way, But how much do you think it would cost to do a complete Network Overhaul of the current Unreliable and Aging Tyne and Wear Metro, with there being quite a lot factors to take into account.

[*]Replacing 74.5m (46.3 Miles) of Track with Tarmac
[*]Scrapping of Trains and Track along with other Infrastructure.
[*]Modifications of 60 Stations across the Network along with Modifications of the Metro Bridge between Gateshead and Newcastle.
[*]Cost of New Buses.

There probably likely to be even more factors to take into account which I havent yet thought of. So would it be Money well spent, Would it be a Risk in terms of further Council Cuts, Increase in Taxes and other Services etc, Would there be any Benefits from such an Overhaul in the Long Term. 

Built in Workington Day
by R852 PRG, 16 Feb 2015, 10:53 pm
Details below:
http://www.builtinworkington.com

Basically, a huge event celebrating 20 years of buses being built at Leyland's factory in Workington, Cumbria.

I hear the NNRG's 4710 is attending, so that automatically makes me consider it. I'd love to go to be honest, as I think it will offer some fantastic photographic opportunities. I gather it's a mainly Leyland National event, but looks like everything from Olympians to Lynx's will be there!

I'm absolutely thrilled it's on Sunday 19th July, as school breaks up for summer on Friday 17th and I won't have to worry about school the next day! Big Grin

Anyone else interested?
Built in Workington Day
by R852 PRG, 16 Feb 2015, 10:53 pm

Details below:
http://www.builtinworkington.com

Basically, a huge event celebrating 20 years of buses being built at Leyland's factory in Workington, Cumbria.

I hear the NNRG's 4710 is attending, so that automatically makes me consider it. I'd love to go to be honest, as I think it will offer some fantastic photographic opportunities. I gather it's a mainly Leyland National event, but looks like everything from Olympians to Lynx's will be there!

I'm absolutely thrilled it's on Sunday 19th July, as school breaks up for summer on Friday 17th and I won't have to worry about school the next day! Big Grin

Anyone else interested?

Metro Coaches
by jamessolomon, 16 Feb 2015, 6:06 pm
According to Route one these have now ceased having had there license taken off them
http://www.route-one.net/legal/inaction-...ification/
Metro Coaches
by jamessolomon, 16 Feb 2015, 6:06 pm

According to Route one these have now ceased having had there license taken off them
http://www.route-one.net/legal/inaction-...ification/

Commercial Coaches
by jamessolomon, 15 Feb 2015, 12:04 am
Been chatting with Tyresmoke about one of the fleet Dennis R410/Plaxton Paragon PN05AFE was sold to them in April 14 after a friend of mine logged it last year still with the company in Alfa livery. Any ideas if its still with the company to be added to the fleetlist as a 3rd Dennis vehicle or has it moved on
Commercial Coaches
by jamessolomon, 15 Feb 2015, 12:04 am

Been chatting with Tyresmoke about one of the fleet Dennis R410/Plaxton Paragon PN05AFE was sold to them in April 14 after a friend of mine logged it last year still with the company in Alfa livery. Any ideas if its still with the company to be added to the fleetlist as a 3rd Dennis vehicle or has it moved on

Employers and there understanding of Public Transport
by Malarkey, 10 Feb 2015, 10:55 pm
A pretty simple question for everyone, When your at a Job Interview do you ever get asked what mode of Transport youd use to get to work and how long would it take?, or a Question of a similar meaning.

The reason I ask is in some of my recent Interviews in the few weeks there seems to be a pattern developing for me where by Employers seem to think it is incredibly difficult to get from A to B, This has lead to me to believe that they have a severe lack of knowledge of Local Public Transport Services, which maybe affecting me getting a Job.

Today was a good example when having a sit down chat with my Advisor at Ingeus and the person who deals with Apprenticeships, as I am looking to get some experience in Administration, one of Apprenticeships was based at Team Valley and the Woman immediately put that out of the window as she felt it was too far to travel to from Washington, I then had to explain to her I could get there for a 9am Start and how I would get there, So I told her I had a direct service from Washington Galleries in the form of the 939, or alternatively I could get the X1 Every 10 Minutes to Gateshead followed by the 94 Every 15 Minutes down to Team Valley, again she dismissed me and said it would be too trouble and would prefer someone more local.

My Advisor then stepped in on my behalf and explained that I have an excellent knowledge of the Local Transport Services in the Area, and gave a few examples where I had been in the office and a few of his clients hadnt a clue how to get to an Interview, so he came over asked me as he knew I would probably know when I had been in doing Job Search etc, which has happened on a few occasions, after having a bit of an argument with her over of her lack of knowledge of the local area, she eventually agreed to put me forward for an Interview.

Another example was last Wednesday when I had an Interview in Durham at the William Hedley Whetherspoons, again exact same scenario, I can get the 50 every half hour to Durham from my front door, my only difficulty was getting Home as the 50 doesnt run to/from Durham after 7pm and only runs as far as Chester le Street, I again explained this was no issue as I could get the 21 from Durham to Low Fell and stop at my Dads House, again on a weekend when I would be finishing at 1Am I explained I could get the N21, but due to Travel Difficulties in there eyes they wouldnt give me the Job.

So I am basically wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and is something that needs to be looked at as a whole by the Government etc, As I see this a potential barrier to Employment.

A pretty simple question for everyone, When your at a Job Interview do you ever get asked what mode of Transport youd use to get to work and how long would it take?, or a Question of a similar meaning.

The reason I ask is in some of my recent Interviews in the few weeks there seems to be a pattern developing for me where by Employers seem to think it is incredibly difficult to get from A to B, This has lead to me to believe that they have a severe lack of knowledge of Local Public Transport Services, which maybe affecting me getting a Job.

Today was a good example when having a sit down chat with my Advisor at Ingeus and the person who deals with Apprenticeships, as I am looking to get some experience in Administration, one of Apprenticeships was based at Team Valley and the Woman immediately put that out of the window as she felt it was too far to travel to from Washington, I then had to explain to her I could get there for a 9am Start and how I would get there, So I told her I had a direct service from Washington Galleries in the form of the 939, or alternatively I could get the X1 Every 10 Minutes to Gateshead followed by the 94 Every 15 Minutes down to Team Valley, again she dismissed me and said it would be too trouble and would prefer someone more local.

My Advisor then stepped in on my behalf and explained that I have an excellent knowledge of the Local Transport Services in the Area, and gave a few examples where I had been in the office and a few of his clients hadnt a clue how to get to an Interview, so he came over asked me as he knew I would probably know when I had been in doing Job Search etc, which has happened on a few occasions, after having a bit of an argument with her over of her lack of knowledge of the local area, she eventually agreed to put me forward for an Interview.

Another example was last Wednesday when I had an Interview in Durham at the William Hedley Whetherspoons, again exact same scenario, I can get the 50 every half hour to Durham from my front door, my only difficulty was getting Home as the 50 doesnt run to/from Durham after 7pm and only runs as far as Chester le Street, I again explained this was no issue as I could get the 21 from Durham to Low Fell and stop at my Dads House, again on a weekend when I would be finishing at 1Am I explained I could get the N21, but due to Travel Difficulties in there eyes they wouldnt give me the Job.

So I am basically wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and is something that needs to be looked at as a whole by the Government etc, As I see this a potential barrier to Employment.

Gaming Thread
by Adrian, 08 Feb 2015, 11:39 am
Noticed we didn't really have a gaming thread, so thought I'd create one! 

What is everyone playing at the minute? Anything interesting or any recommendations?
Gaming Thread
by Adrian, 08 Feb 2015, 11:39 am

Noticed we didn't really have a gaming thread, so thought I'd create one! 

What is everyone playing at the minute? Anything interesting or any recommendations?

Nexus Timetable Quirks
by gtom, 05 Feb 2015, 9:09 pm
Noticed a few things today that make me question the sanity of Nexus

Birtley Station Lane stop

21 to Newcastle - Journey time 28 minutes
X2 to Newcastle - Journey time 32 minutes!!!

yet a few stops later at Windsor Road the X2 has suddenly made up time and is now 26 minutes journey vs GNE who are still 28

So we race along to Low Fell The Cannon where the 21 now takes....

16 minutes!

But the X2 (which bear in mind doesn't stop again until Gateshead after Low Fell Cannon) now takes 18 minutes....

You should really catch the 29....that only takes 13 minutes to Gateshead (quicker than the others!)

Can anyone explain the logic that is Nexus?
Nexus Timetable Quirks
by gtom, 05 Feb 2015, 9:09 pm

Noticed a few things today that make me question the sanity of Nexus

Birtley Station Lane stop

21 to Newcastle - Journey time 28 minutes
X2 to Newcastle - Journey time 32 minutes!!!

yet a few stops later at Windsor Road the X2 has suddenly made up time and is now 26 minutes journey vs GNE who are still 28

So we race along to Low Fell The Cannon where the 21 now takes....

16 minutes!

But the X2 (which bear in mind doesn't stop again until Gateshead after Low Fell Cannon) now takes 18 minutes....

You should really catch the 29....that only takes 13 minutes to Gateshead (quicker than the others!)

Can anyone explain the logic that is Nexus?

Pages (263) Previous 1194 195 196263 Next