North East Buses
Your Travel Queries - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: The Canteen (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off-topic bus chat (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: Your Travel Queries (/showthread.php?tid=238)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016 - Michael - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 9:36 pm)G-CPTN The TEN can drop you near Central Station or you can continue to Eldon Square and get the Metro from the Haymarket.

Are the Metro 'works' over?

Nope, the works on are on until the 2nd April.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016 - G-CPTN - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 9:37 pm)Michael Nope, the works on are on until the 2nd April.

What effect would that have on accessing at Central / Monument / Haymarket?

I assume that the early morning TENS serve Clayton Street West?

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016 - Michael - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 9:45 pm)G-CPTN What effect would that have on accessing at Central / Monument / Haymarket?

I assume that the early morning TENS serve Clayton Street West?

Ohh some reason i thought u meant Whitley Bay with that being closed 

Central is closed from 8pm till early morning Sunday - Thursday.

Not sure on the TEN routes.

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016 - G-CPTN - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 9:54 pm)Michael Ohh some reason i thought u meant Whitley Bay with that being closed 

Central is closed from 8pm till early morning Sunday - Thursday.

Not sure on the TEN routes.

Quote:Central Station closed from 8pm tonight until tomorrow morning to allow for station refurbishment work. 
Trains will not stop at Central Station during the closure, please use Monument.
Having checked the TEN timetable, ALL services serve Clayton Street West (for Central Station).

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016 - BusLoverMum - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 9:19 pm)thetravelman So TEN to Newcastle then use the Metro seems probably best option, I think.

and I get to travel by Bus and Metro in one go.

I'm really out of touch with Tickets, I take it I will need to buy my metro ticket separate, rather than on the bus.

Might actually be quicker to jump off the TEN at the Metrocentre, get the X66 to Gateshead, then get the metro from there - saves crossing the Tyne and back.

Actually, scratch that, you'd probably need to catch the 7:09 10, whether you changed in Gateshead or Newcastle!

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2016 - thetravelman - 29 Mar 2016

(29 Mar 2016, 9:36 pm)G-CPTN The TEN can drop you near Central Station or you can continue to Eldon Square and get the Metro from the Haymarket.

Are the Metro 'works' over?

Yea, I was thinking of getting off at Clayton Street West and using Central Station. I think it is supposed to be open ready for morning.

(29 Mar 2016, 10:02 pm)BusLoverMum Might actually be quicker to jump off the TEN at the Metrocentre, get the X66 to Gateshead, then get the metro from there - saves crossing the Tyne and back.

Actually, scratch that, you'd probably need to catch the 7:09 10, whether you changed in Gateshead or Newcastle!

I had thought of that also, change onto X66 at Metro Centre thru to Gateshead. Then use Metro.

I'm looking at either the 6:55am - 10b or the 7:09 - 10

Thanks everyone for your input! 

and Good night, must get to bed now.

RE: Your Travel Queries - Jimmi - 30 Mar 2016

Would I be able to buy tickets on a Northern Rail train from Newton Aycliffe on the train with a Railcard? If not, is there a way I can buy tickets in advance but this is for tomorrow so I obviously can't get them sent in the post and there is no ticket machines at Newton Aycliffe station.

RE: Your Travel Queries - Adrian - 30 Mar 2016

(30 Mar 2016, 5:12 pm)Jimmi Would I be able to buy tickets on a Northern Rail train from Newton Aycliffe on the train with a Railcard? If not, is there a way I can buy tickets in advance but this is for tomorrow so I obviously can't get them sent in the post and there is no ticket machines at Newton Aycliffe station.

Yes - but only because Newton Ayciffe is a station without a ticket office or TVMs. See - http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/35/

RE: Your Travel Queries - beefcake - 30 Mar 2016

If there's no ticket facilities on the station, then the conductor is able to sell you the full range of tickets with railcard discounts. If you want to collect them before you travel, you can choose a different station to collect them from using the booking reference and card used to pay for them.

RE: Your Travel Queries - Jimmi - 30 Mar 2016

(30 Mar 2016, 5:15 pm)Adrian Yes - but only because Newton Ayciffe is a station without a ticket office or TVMs. See - http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/35/

(30 Mar 2016, 5:19 pm)beefcake If there's no ticket facilities on the station, then the conductor is able to sell you the full range of tickets with railcard discounts. If you want to collect them before you travel, you can choose a different station to collect them from using the booking reference and card used to pay for them.

Thanks - I'm travelling to Middlesbrough tomorrow morning as I'm thinking heading to Scarborough and I can't be chewed on with trying to connect between an Aycliffe - Darlo bus then the X66/X67 in the morning.

RE: Your Travel Queries - northern156 - 30 Mar 2016

You'll have one very, very harsh guard who won't let you buy a ticket on the train if there's a TVM on the station. If the TVM only accepts card (which a lot of Northern ones do), I'd have some grounds to argue on in that not everyone has a working bank card.

RE: Your Travel Queries - Andreos1 - 30 Mar 2016

(30 Mar 2016, 5:19 pm)beefcake If there's no ticket facilities on the station, then the conductor is able to sell you the full range of tickets with railcard discounts. If you want to collect them before you travel, you can choose a different station to collect them from using the booking reference and card used to pay for them.

Found a little cheat a while ago.
It doesn't need to be the same card nor the station chosen to collect from.

It has came in handy more than once!

I was tipped off about the collection point and found out about the card by accident.

RE: Your Travel Queries - Andreos1 - 03 Apr 2016

I have looked on and off for a while now and keep drawing a blank.

Looking to explore the Tyne and Allen Valleys at some point in the near future.
Ideally visiting some nice pubs and arranging a tour of the Allendale Brewery too.

It is easy enough to do using a return trip, but I was looking to spice things up and add some variety, by doing the trip in a circular style fashion, rather than using the same service to and from Hexham.

Any ideas?

RE: Your Travel Queries - Charles41 - 04 Apr 2016

(03 Apr 2016, 7:44 pm)Andreos1 I have looked on and off for a while now and keep drawing a blank.

Looking to explore the Tyne and Allen Valleys at some point in the near future.
Ideally visiting some nice pubs and arranging a tour of the Allendale Brewery too.

It is easy enough to do using a return trip, but I was looking to spice things up and add some variety, by doing the trip in a circular style fashion, rather than using the same service to and from Hexham.

Any ideas?

Try Hexham to Langley Crossroads on the 688, then a half mile walk to the Carts Bog Inn which is great little pub all by itself. From there you could get the X81 down to Haydon Bridge. At Haydon Bridge try the Anchor and the General Havelock. Then catch the 685 back into Hexham.

In the Allen Valley try the Crown at Catton - excellent food and real ales. There are 3 pubs in Allendale itself (the Hare is now a house) all worth a look at.

Its quite difficult as there are few services in the North and South Tyne Valley that do not run to and from Hexham.

Charles

RE: Your Travel Queries - Andreos1 - 04 Apr 2016

(04 Apr 2016, 12:39 pm)Charles41 Try Hexham to Langley Crossroads on the 688, then a half mile walk to the Carts Bog Inn which is great little pub all by itself. From there you could get the X81 down to Haydon Bridge. At Haydon Bridge try the Anchor and the General Havelock. Then catch the 685 back into Hexham.

In the Allen Valley try the Crown at Catton - excellent food and real ales. There are 3 pubs in Allendale itself (the Hare is now a house) all worth a look at.

Its quite difficult as there are few services in the North and South Tyne Valley that do not run to and from Hexham.

Charles

Cheers Charles.
Looks like 2/3 trips, rather than a big day out.

I had another look at the timetables after posting the message and despite my best efforts, a round trip doesn't look possible.

Will have a search through the independents who serve those areas and see what other options are available.

RE: Your Travel Queries - Tom - 04 Apr 2016

You can't use Explorers on Weardale services can you?

RE: Your Travel Queries - NK53 TKT - 04 Apr 2016

(04 Apr 2016, 5:41 pm)Tom You can't use Explorers on Weardale services can you?

No, you can't

RE: Your Travel Queries - Tom - 04 Apr 2016

(04 Apr 2016, 8:53 pm)NK53 TKT No, you can't

Ah ok cheers Smile

RE: Your Travel Queries - NK53 TKT - 04 Apr 2016

(04 Apr 2016, 8:54 pm)Tom Ah ok cheers Smile

Your welcome Smile 
Here is the website:
http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/explorer-tickets

RE: Your Travel Queries - NK53 TKT - 06 Apr 2016

Looking to try the 23 and X22 tomorrow, do they both stop at the same location in Barley Mow, and what operator runs the 23 arriving at Barley Mow at 14:54?