North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 14 Aug 2013

(14 Aug 2013, 9:01 pm)CatsFast101 X6 and X8 don't see them working no need for services. Doxford-Houghton-Hetton-Peterlee is served by X35. Middlesbrough-Peterlee doesn't need any more services. Preferred my idea the X6 via Seaham to Hartlepool.
I think the 203 is a bit long winded an East Durham to Washington? 128 is a good idea, I think it's okay but maybe it's Saturday only for a reason, a Sunday bus would be nice as I'm sure beamish Musuem attracts a lot of visitors. I see no need for a 36 and 38 merge. And the Q3 is an okay idea.

X6 - I do think is a good idea as it would open up New Links between Washington and Middlesbrough via Peterlee, which to my knowledge has never existed.

X8 - Would work alongside the X7 to provide a Half Hourly link between Sunderland and Middlesbrough, with the X35 operating it normal route, meaning GNE would a Bus Every 15 Minutes as far as Peterlee if timed perfectly.

203 - Would re-instate the old 79/493 Link Between Washington and Houghton and then open up a New Link up to Peterlee, It would take 1 Hour to do the full route and that would also work alongside the X6 to provide a Bus Every 30 Minutes

36/38 Merge - I wasn't to sure on this one either

128 - I was thinking instead of having it run just on a Saturday have run Monday to Friday Hourly, and work alongside the 28/28A to provide a Every 20 Minute Link to Beamish

Q3 - Think I might email this to GNE

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 14 Aug 2013

702 - Nissan/Turbine Business Park - Waterview Park - Sunderland Enterprise Park - Stadium of Light - Sunderland Retail Park - Roker - Seaburn Morrisons - Roker - Glass Centre - Theatre Royal - Sunderland Interchange - Royal Hospital - Doxford International - Doxford Park Shops

Works Service - Peak Times Only - Every 20 Minutes - Monday to Friday

- Early Morning Journeys Operate Between 6am and 9am
- Evening Journeys Operate Between 4pm and 7pm

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - CatsFast101 - 15 Aug 2013

Not really a service suggestion but how about a slight realingment of Go North East's Venture Network?
131 becomes the V7, unchanged route. The current 130 becomes the V10 with a new evening service V11 operating Lanchester-Burnhope-Quaking Houses-South Moor-Stanley-South Stanley, this is merging the 130 & 704 evening services. Then the 689 is unchanged. Then produce a Venture Bus guide including V1-V11 & 689.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 15 Aug 2013

(14 Aug 2013, 9:19 pm)Adam Malarkey 128 - I was thinking instead of having it run just on a Saturday have run Monday to Friday Hourly, and work alongside the 28/28A to provide a Every 20 Minute Link to Beamish

I don't think Beamish needs a 20 minute link. It only admits visitors for 5 hours a day (last entry at 3pm) and the vast majority come in on school or package trips.

Not forgetting its winter hours (though full opening has been extended for Christmas this year from November 16th to 29th December (closed Xmas Day only)

Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 15 Aug 2013

(08 Aug 2013, 11:02 am)gtomlinson Air Force One (because you know GNE would)
Durham - Chester Le Street- A1M - Newcastle Airport

LMAO, that would be typical of GNE, another ridiculous brand, they could even come up with a stopping service to compliment Air Force One using smaller buses(MPD or Versa) and call it Marine One to stay inline with a Presidential Theme of Branding, Marine One being the Presidents helicopter call sign in real life...Kidding, would Barack Obama be welcome on it if he needs to make a hasty retreat from deepest darkest Birtley if his motor breaks down...Joking Big Grin

Re: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 15 Aug 2013

Love the enthusiasm on these boards, some of the ideas must take quite a bit of time to properly lay out.

I have some suggestions of my own, again I have been thinking about for a long time, so here goes.

For starters, I would like to see the end of branding, I have never been a supporter of it, but over time I have come to the belief that branding should left on the most profitable routes, have a section of each depot that concentrates solely on Flagship services, off the top of my head and through observation the busier routes are:-

Deptford...20, 35, 42, 56 and 60
Gateshead...X9/10
Washington...X1, M1
C-L-S...21

There is obvioulsy a lot of well earning routes, but those are what come to mind and stand out. With that in mind, GNE should go either all Red Northern or re-introduce the local identities that came about in the early 90's or even split GNE up into a few different companies

GNE North Durham, headquartered at C-L-S with the Winlaton, Sunderland Road and Stanley, coming under GNE ND&G

GNE Newcastle and North Tyneside, run from Percy Main also being GNE N&NT

GNE South, run from Deptford, with Washington in the GNE South area

Also bring back OK Travel in it's own right, using Peterlee, Consett, Crook and Hexham outstations to run as low cost operations...BTW, is there still outstations at Crook and Consett(not really sure if there actually was one in Consett

Give these subsidiaries some autonomy from GNE executives, an autonomous management team who can decide solely on there area they are in charge of

If that is a bad idea, then bring back Wear Buses, Go.Ahead Gateshead, Northern, VFM and Coastline etc.

Some of my service suggestion ideas are as follows

Bring back open top buses to run the coastal routes, e.g. Sunderland-South Shields and Whitley Bay to Tynemouth/North Shields, possibly connecting with the Shields Ferry, I used to love a ride on the Coastline Open Top Bus as a nipper.

Sone other ideas are pretty much extensions of current services.

I am from Murton, and we are very poorly served, some parts of Murton only have an hourly service to Durham, half hourly for Seaham and neither on Sundays or Bank Holidays and every 15 mins to Sunderland, which goes to every 20 minutes on Sundays and Bank Holidays going to 1ph on a night , even Dalton Park is quite poorly served, no more services to Hartlepool, the link to Houghton is gone, although it gets the 24 to Durham albeit the long way round(Shotton and Haswell).

My suggestion centers round Dalton Park becoming a transport hub, hopefully phase 2(the leisure development) will break ground soon and hope it could be uilised by buses...My Murton/East Durham suggestions are as follows

The Drifter

Introduce a 60A to run alongside the 60, but extending to South Shields l, stopping as such.

New 60A Parkside-Dawdon-Seaham-Coast Road-Ryhope Green-Sunderland-Roker-Seaburn-Whitburn-South Shields...60 would become every 15 minutes, with 60A every half hour to Keep the 10 minute frequency between Byron Place and Park Lane

I would introduce like to see a 61A introduced to complement the 61, 61A would goto South Shields as well and would be split at Murton Co-op, the 61 would stay as is.

New 61A...Would do an anticlockwise loop round Murton: Murton Co-op-Gray Road, Bude Square-Mann Crescent-Burnip Road-Webb Avenue-Barnes Road-Wellfield Road-Station Estate, going back the opposite way...Same as the 60A to South Shields, giving a half-hourly Service along the Coast to South Shields...An extra bus would be put on to create a 12 Minute frequency between Murton and Park Lane

I would also like connections to Newcastle and Tyneside, this could be done by extending the X1 to Dalton Park via Murton, make it one bus an hour, Easington Lane-Newcastle would become a 12 minute frequency, 10 for Hetton and Houghton, either that, or extend the X3 or X36 to Dalton Park to come through Seaham, terminating at Dalton Park

Bring either X7, X9 or X10 into Dalton Park, opening links to Teesside.

Bring a 9A in and have the 9/9A every 20 minutes from Park Lane, and have 9A extended in both directions, 9 as it is now

New 9A Dalton Park-Ryhope-Sunderland-The Boldons-Restless Roundabout-Tyne Tunnel-North Shields-Tynemouth-Cullercoats-Whitley Bay.

If none of that would, bring in a Murton Station-Newcastle Service that is East Durham Operated which would go Station Estate-Wellfield Road-Barnes Road-Webb Avenue-Bude Square-Woods Terrace-Dalton Park-Fast Heworth-Gateshead and Newcastle...

I know these suggestions are probably pie in the sky, but it is a service suggestion thread after all

If you read this far, thanks for your patience Big Grin

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - BJ10VUS - 15 Aug 2013

(14 Aug 2013, 8:17 pm)Adam Malarkey Q3 - St Peters Basin - Ouseburn - Quayside - Baltic - Gateshead College - The Sage - Gateshead Interchange - Metrocentre Coach Park - Watermark - Metrocentre Interchange - Asda - Ikea Red Quadrant - Green Quadrant - Blue Quadrant - Every 20 Minutes

Will it be stopping between Gateshead and the Metrocentre? I think if the Q3 were to run as a stopping service via Teams and Dunston, it would be more profitable than copying the X66. Overall, I do like the idea Smile

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Michael - 15 Aug 2013

I agree only flagship routes should be branded..

I still think they should of merged the 36 and 42 (before it was spilt to the 36/36A)...

42 (Simplicity) - Silksworth - Tunstall Village - Ryhope - Hollycarrside - Grangetown - Sunderland - Monkwearmouth - Southwick - Witherwack - Downhill - Town End Farm - Hylton Castle - Castletown - Enterprise Park - Queen Alexandra Bridge - Sunderland - Every 15 mins
Replaces the 36/36A/42
------------------------------------
39 - keep as route now but change it to every 15 min's along the full route. -
-----------------------------------------
71/238 - Chester-le-Street - Great Lumley - Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring- Murton - Ryhope - Hollycarrside - Leechmere Road - Ashbrooke - Sunderland
Merge and make it a 30 min service
---------------
9 - Sunderland - Fulwell - South Shields - Tyne Tunnel - Percy Main - Royal Quays - North Shields - Every 30 mins
-------
26 - Sunderland - Southwick - Castletown - Hylton Castle - Downhill - Boldon - Heworth - Every 30 mins
------------
26A - Sunderland - Fulwell - Boldon ASDA - Jarrow - Tyne tunnel - North Shields - Every 30 mins
---------

99 - Silksworth » Barnes Park » Sunderland - Royal Hospital » Pallion » Enterprise Park » Castletown » Hylton Castle » Town End Farm » Downhill » Witherwack » Southwick » Fulwell » Seaburn - Keep as hourly.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 15 Aug 2013

I like to see the end of branding, theres too many brands which causes branded buses to be run on other services due to breakdowns and not enough northern red buses to cover the branded services, should only keep the branded services which are flagship routes only and everything else northern red.

Awhile back Seaham to Sunderland services were rain in the 144 series of numbers but all got streamlined into the 37/37A sequence and the service was extended to South Shields via 35 route but the service ended in failure, Theres no way that GNE would run a bus service between Sunderland and South Shields via Seaburn and Whitburn as there wouldn't want to upset Stagecoach in there territory.

The 60 was streamlined in Murton as orginal bus services used to go allover in Murton but too many passengers were complaining due to the bus service was to complex and confussing.

About Dalton Park for X7/X9 and X10 connection, the services at present cant stop there due to not enough extra time in the timetable to do this suggestion, also Peterlee is a hub for GNE services in which passengers can change at Peterlee for service 202 to Dalton Park.

GNE did say that their will look at Dalton Park only after there built the phase 2 to see what the demand is, but at Dalton Park at present theres no extra demand as Dalton Park is served by regular GNE 61/202/265 and also Arriva 24. Since a few months ago when the A19 was closed in both directions due to fatal accident, Arriva 23/24 were running along Murton to Easington Lane then down to Easington Village to get back on route, Maybe Arriva should do the 23 or 24 via Murton,Easington Lane and South Hetton as it would take in more populated areas instead of the empty countryside between Dalton Park and Easington Village

All the bus service suggestion on here are good and maybe GNE might be looking on this thread, but at the end of the day you have to justify for the change, the cost of extra buses/wages etc... is there a demand for the suggested service. I wonder if GNE gets loads and loads of letters and emails from customers saying bus suggestions but has the customer justified the reason for the change or is it because there want to get from point A to point B quicker for themselves, GNE wont run a bus service if only 1 or 2 people use it.

Well that's my 5p worth lol.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Tom - 15 Aug 2013

Here is some changes I think would be good.

''Quorum Connect'' 16
The 16 would operate from Wallsend to Wansbeck Hospital via Walkergate, Heaton, Freeman Hospital, Quorum, Killingworth, Cramlington, Bedlington and Ashington. It would be a addition to the shortage of Go North East services in Northumberland. It would also reinstate a link previously provided by Arriva from Quorum to Ashington.

''Coaster'' 1
Would omit Marden Estate, operating along the coast to Whitley Bay.

''North Tyne Links''
Service 40 and 41 will operate every 30 mins. There would be no change to the route. A new 40A and 41A would be introduced. The new 40A would operate from Wallsend to North Shields via the current 40 route to Hadrian Park, then via Cobalt South, Norham Road and Royal Quays. Service 41A would operate via the current 41 route to Hadrian Park then beyond Hadrian Park to Whitley Bay via Cobalt, Rake Lane, Preston Grange and Madren Estate. Both of these services will provide good links for residents of Hadrian Park. Service 41A will partly replace service 80.

Service 80 would be withdrawn. However, a new North Shields Circular 80/80A would be introduced. They would run via Linskill Terrace, Tynemouth (Sea Banks and Grand Parade), Preston Grange, Rake Lane and Billy Mill. The 80 would operate clockwise, 80A anti clockwise. These woud provide new links, as well as replacing service 80 introduced.

''Wear Tees Express'' service X7
Service X7 would remain unchanged, but a new service X8 would be introduced. Service X8 would operate hourly, via the current X7 route to Peterlee, the current X35 route to Hartlepool (omitting Manor Way, Peterlee) then non-stop via the A19 to Middlesbrough, providing more regular links from Peterlee to Sunderland, as well as new links.

''Quaylink''
The Q2 would be extended to Walker Riverside. A new Q3 (credit to Adam M for the idea Smile ) from Ouseburn to Metrocentre via Quayside, Baltic, Gateshead College, The Sage, Gateshead Interchange, Metrocentre Coach Park, Watermark, Metrocentre Interchange, Asda, Ikea, Red Quadrant, Green Quadrant, Blue Quadrant every 15 mins. This would replace service S1.

Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 15 Aug 2013

(15 Aug 2013, 4:40 pm)cbma06 I like to see the end of branding, theres too many brands which causes branded buses to be run on other services due to breakdowns and not enough northern red buses to cover the branded services, should only keep the branded services which are flagship routes only and everything else northern red.

Awhile back Seaham to Sunderland services were rain in the 144 series of numbers but all got streamlined into the 37/37A sequence and the service was extended to South Shields via 35 route but the service ended in failure, Theres no way that GNE would run a bus service between Sunderland and South Shields via Seaburn and Whitburn as there wouldn't want to upset Stagecoach in there territory.

The 60 was streamlined in Murton as orginal bus services used to go allover in Murton but too many passengers were complaining due to the bus service was to complex and confussing.

About Dalton Park for X7/X9 and X10 connection, the services at present cant stop there due to not enough extra time in the timetable to do this suggestion, also Peterlee is a hub for GNE services in which passengers can change at Peterlee for service 202 to Dalton Park.

GNE did say that their will look at Dalton Park only after there built the phase 2 to see what the demand is, but at Dalton Park at present theres no extra demand as Dalton Park is served by regular GNE 61/202/265 and also Arriva 24. Since a few months ago when the A19 was closed in both directions due to fatal accident, Arriva 23/24 were running along Murton to Easington Lane then down to Easington Village to get back on route, Maybe Arriva should do the 23 or 24 via Murton,Easington Lane and South Hetton as it would take in more populated areas instead of the empty countryside between Dalton Park and Easington Village

All the bus service suggestion on here are good and maybe GNE might be looking on this thread, but at the end of the day you have to justify for the change, the cost of extra buses/wages etc... is there a demand for the suggested service. I wonder if GNE gets loads and loads of letters and emails from customers saying bus suggestions but has the customer justified the reason for the change or is it because there want to get from point A to point B quicker for themselves, GNE wont run a bus service if only 1 or 2 people use it.

Well that's my 5p worth lol.

I mostly, agree mate, I only speak for myself with my ideas, it is not the opinion of a cross section of Murtoners in General.

As for Dalton Park, one thing that needs to be done is sort out the bus lane, the amount of near misses coming off that bus lane is staggering because cars coming in don't seem to realise they have to give way to the left, and it may better that once Phase 2 goes up will be to have bus stops either side of the road and maybe think about opening a new bus only entrance/exit at the top of Dalton Park. The road layout is not a GNE/Arriva problem, that would surely be Dalton Park management who deal with that...

Here's hoping Phase 2 breaks ground soon, we have only waited 10 since the Shopping Outlet opened

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 15 Aug 2013

(15 Aug 2013, 6:04 pm)fozzovmurton I mostly, agree mate, I only speak for myself with my ideas, it is not the opinion of a cross section of Murtoners in General.

As for Dalton Park, one thing that needs to be done is sort out the bus lane, the amount of near misses coming off that bus lane is staggering because cars coming in don't seem to realise they have to give way to the left, and it may better that once Phase 2 goes up will be to have bus stops either side of the road and maybe think about opening a new bus only entrance/exit at the top of Dalton Park. The road layout is not a GNE/Arriva problem, that would surely be Dalton Park management who deal with that...

Here's hoping Phase 2 breaks ground soon, we have only waited 10 since the Shopping Outlet opened

Im from Peterlee and the bus service is crap down here, which is all Arriva Northeast fault as there streamlined there bus services leaving estates cut off totally and GNE can only do so much otherwise there be on Arrivas turf.

usually sometimes I use the car to get about as you cant trust the bus service to run down here, I only use the bus service if its justified to do so, ive used the car going into Dalton park and if theres a bus turning round then I do stop, im sure theres a giveway sign on the road telling drivers to give way, so if there is an accident then it will be the car drivers fault as there not paying attention to the road signs.

Hopefully once the cinema and supermarket gets built at Dalton Park then it would justify of having a evening service and a proper Sunday service if theres a proper demand.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - gtom - 15 Aug 2013

With a couple of thousand homes popping up around Dunston and planning permission in for more plus the Watermark Office Park (where teleperformance have a huge office) the Q3 sound's better by the day.

But in terms of serving Watermark I'd probably keep that with key shift changes (perhaps liaise with employers - but even so not massive walk to the bus station)

It would be nice for a service not to go down the traditional (well new) feeder idea of interchange to interchange and judging by traffic at times it could pick up traffic from the X66 and 100

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 16 Aug 2013

Perfered those OK scanias to go on the X7 allocated 3 and the other 2 for a new service X8 Sunderland to Hartlepool same route as X7 Sunderland to Peterlee (hoping the allocation would be 2 buses, if not then use a bus from the decrease route off the X35). and have the X35 curtailed to either hourly between Peterlee and Hartlepool but a 30 minute frequency jointly with X8 and the X35 still be 30 minute frequency between Peterlee and Sunderland via Houghton.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - CatsFast101 - 16 Aug 2013

(16 Aug 2013, 11:17 am)cbma06 Perfered those OK scanias to go on the X7 allocated 3 and the other 2 for a new service X8 Sunderland to Hartlepool same route as X7 Sunderland to Peterlee (hoping the allocation would be 2 buses, if not then use a bus from the decrease route off the X35). and have the X35 curtailed to either hourly between Peterlee and Hartlepool but a 30 minute frequency jointly with X8 and the X35 still be 30 minute frequency between Peterlee and Sunderland via Houghton.

I would keep X35 in current form. The X8 would take 30 Mins Sunderland-Peterlee & 20 Mins Peterlee-Hartlepool = 50 Minutes. So a PVR of 5 would work.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 16 Aug 2013

(16 Aug 2013, 12:41 pm)CatsFast101 I would keep X35 in current form. The X8 would take 30 Mins Sunderland-Peterlee & 20 Mins Peterlee-Hartlepool = 50 Minutes. So a PVR of 5 would work.

If the X8 was every hour doing a joint venture with X7 between Sunderland and Peterlee, then the X8 would only need 2 buses, as it will take just under and hour between Sunderland and Hartlepool, as soon as the 09:00 from Sunderland gets into Hartlepool to do the 10:00 back to Sunderland, the next bus on the X8 would be just leaving Sunderland on the 10:00 run to Hartlepool, so the allocation would be 2 buses for X8 and 3 buses on the X7

I wonder how many passengers are using the X35 between Peterlee and Hartlepool that are going to Sunderland City Centre that are having to put up with sitting on the bus via South Hetton, Hetton, Houghton, Doxford Park and also Durham road in rush hour.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 16 Aug 2013

Something else I was thinking about, on a Sunday would it not be worth re-routing a couple of 60's per hour to run along the Coast into Seaham for passengers heading to the Car Boot Sale near Seaham Hall, there always seems to be quite a few people heading to it, but at present people can only reach it by going to Ryhope Green, Seaham Lodge or Byron Place, all 3 is a long walk, probably close to a mile from each of those stops and it would also give more people from East Durham an opportunity to reach it easier

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - CatsFast101 - 16 Aug 2013

(16 Aug 2013, 12:54 pm)cbma06 If the X8 was every hour doing a joint venture with X7 between Sunderland and Peterlee, then the X8 would only need 2 buses, as it will take just under and hour between Sunderland and Hartlepool, as soon as the 09:00 from Sunderland gets into Hartlepool to do the 10:00 back to Sunderland, the next bus on the X8 would be just leaving Sunderland on the 10:00 run to Hartlepool, so the allocation would be 2 buses for X8 and 3 buses on the X7

I wonder how many passengers are using the X35 between Peterlee and Hartlepool that are going to Sunderland City Centre that are having to put up with sitting on the bus via South Hetton, Hetton, Houghton, Doxford Park and also Durham road in rush hour.

I meant a PVR of 5 altogether. 3 for X7, 2 for X8. I must admit buses out of Hartlepool are limited to X35 and 23/22 Arriva service so I'm sure express service to Sunderland would be welcomed and hopefully people would use it.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Tom - 16 Aug 2013

(16 Aug 2013, 6:26 pm)CatsFast101 I meant a PVR of 5 altogether. 3 for X7, 2 for X8. I must admit buses out of Hartlepool are limited to X35 and 23/22 Arriva service so I'm sure express service to Sunderland would be welcomed and hopefully people would use it.

Then extend it to Middlesbrough via A19 to provide a faster link from Hartlepool to Middlesbrough - That would have a PVR of 3, also meaning there would be a 30 minute service (X7 and X8 combined) from Sunderland to Middlesbrough.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 16 Aug 2013

(15 Aug 2013, 4:11 pm)BJ10VUS Will it be stopping between Gateshead and the Metrocentre? I think if the Q3 were to run as a stopping service via Teams and Dunston, it would be more profitable than copying the X66. Overall, I do like the idea Smile

Not a bad thought having it running by Teams and Dunston, I haven't had time to send it to GNE, but i'll that in when I get a chance