North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1253)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Go North East - Latest - Diamond One - 20 Mar 2014

4908 is currently getting uploaded to my flickr right now as we speak along with 8297 which joins sister 8295 in South Tyne livery

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 20 Mar 2014

(20 Mar 2014, 11:17 pm)Bazza Houston 4908 is currently getting uploaded to my flickr right now as we speak along with 8297 which joins sister 8295 in South Tyne livery

I had a discussion with Dan about this, but he failed to answer the question with a decent answer Tongue....but why do people say she and her when talking about buses?

RE: Go North East - Latest - MurdnunoC - 20 Mar 2014

(20 Mar 2014, 11:29 pm)citaro5284 I had a discussion with Dan about this, but he failed to answer the question with a decent answer Tongue....but why do people say she and her when talking about buses?

I suppose its a continuation of how people make reference to cars as 'her' and 'she'.

Personally, I don't see the point of it myself and I don't think that there's any decent answer that would convince me otherwise.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 21 Mar 2014

(20 Mar 2014, 11:29 pm)citaro5284 I had a discussion with Dan about this, but he failed to answer the question with a decent answer Tongue....but why do people say she and her when talking about buses?

Loads of people seem to. I prefer 'it'. Less danger of our lass getting the wrong idea. :p

RE: Go North East - Latest - Diamond One - 21 Mar 2014

(21 Mar 2014, 12:02 am)aureolin Loads of people seem to. I prefer 'it'. Less danger of our lass getting the wrong idea. :p

now i got that song in my head now

RE: Go North East - Latest - Acky81 - 21 Mar 2014

(20 Mar 2014, 2:52 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Presumably.

I didn't read the full info on the fb page - but did note the problem was on the bank and buses were diverting via the A182.
Going from Acky81's sighting, buses have done a big loop, missing out the Times Inn Bank and picking up the route at the top of the Graham Way heading to Sunderland and going as far as the Times Inn Bank, when heading to Murton and looping around in reverse.

61 was heading from Seaham town centre up to police station then up graham way which was very odd

RE: Paint Shop/Branding - Acky81 - 21 Mar 2014

Are 39s next

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 21 Mar 2014

In regards to the B10BLEs, there have been no other withdrawals/cascades at present (as a result of the two arrivals at Chester). These movements are being done gradually though, so give it time. Especially given the reputation of the former "Wear Tees Xpress" branded vehicles and 4908 being replaced after one run of the Lime yesterday, don't expect miracles in regards to the time taken to perform the resultant cascades.

I think it is possible a Lolyne or two may be freed up from Chester to allow another Olympian to be withdrawn.

EDIT: Noticed my mistake - said 'Vyking' instead of Lolyne!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 21 Mar 2014

U tell me, i asked the same question ages ago haha

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 21 Mar 2014

(21 Mar 2014, 6:26 am)Dan In regards to the B10BLEs, there have been no other withdrawals/cascades at present (as a result of the two arrivals at Chester). These movements are being done gradually though, so give it time. Especially given the reputation of the former "Wear Tees Xpress" branded vehicles and 4908 being replaced after one run of the Lime yesterday, don't expect miracles in regards to the time taken to perform the resultant cascades.

I think it is possible a Vyking or two may be freed up from Chester to allow another Olympian to be withdrawn.

I hope the Vykings don't go to Percy Main...

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 21 Mar 2014

(21 Mar 2014, 7:45 am)Tom I hope the Vykings don't go to Percy Main...

I hope deptford dont get any more..Tongue

RE: Go North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 21 Mar 2014

(20 Mar 2014, 10:28 pm)ADLEnviro The contract for the board is for 3 school runs as below.

461 0740 Houghton - Biddick School 0815
864 0820 Washington Art Centre - Lord Lawson 0833
450 1525 St Roberts - East Herrington Board Inn 1610

Cheers.
That 864 is generally operated by an ex-London President and often heads back NIS along Portobello Road to Washington via the Mill House roundabout after unloading at Lord Lawson.

Will have to check out the St Roberts runs and see if that solves the riddle of the Loylne in Washington.

Re: RE: Go North East - Latest - MrFozz - 21 Mar 2014

I have wanted to know why a bus is spoke of in female form...I guess it is like a sailor who refer to a ship as she and her...

I wonder if when a bus is launched someone gives it a christening by saying I name this bus_______, may god bless her and all who ride her

Is that just me being stupid, no Big Grin

RE: Go North East - Latest - Wellsey18 - 21 Mar 2014

6116 is on the 17 came 15 minutes late at Killingworth so dunno if it was related to the bus, hopefully not, but great ride to sixth form for once haha!Big Grin

RE: Go North East - Latest - Wellsey18 - 21 Mar 2014

Just went off not in service after i got off probably being taken off at wallsend

Calling buses 'her' - gtom - 21 Mar 2014

There's a bit of debate as to why vessels (planes, boats and seemingly buses) are called her. It's generally accepted for one of the following reasons

1) Ships used to be dedicated to the female in a man's life, going back further in history they were named after ancient goddesses. Whilst in ancient times women were considered to be bad luck to be on board a ship, it is not bad luck to name the ship

2) The less interesting theory is that the word 'ship' was a feminine grammatical term and its simply carried through history. Modern English doesn't have male/feminine terms but those of you who have studied French or German will be will aware of masculine and feminine grammar.

(21 Mar 2014, 6:26 am)Dan In regards to the B10BLEs, there have been no other withdrawals/cascades at present (as a result of the two arrivals at Chester). These movements are being done gradually though, so give it time. Especially given the reputation of the former "Wear Tees Xpress" branded vehicles and 4908 being replaced after one run of the Lime yesterday, don't expect miracles in regards to the time taken to perform the resultant cascades.

I think it is possible a Vyking or two may be freed up from Chester to allow another Olympian to be withdrawn.
4906-4909 sell for scrap these poor souls are worn out going up and down a19

I'm sure I saw 3963 as a green angel in Gateshead yesterday

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 21 Mar 2014

I'm told 4906 has just arrived at Chester-le-Street.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 21 Mar 2014

3874 has been on the NTL network today, so not sure if it's transferred to Percy Main as a result of the ex-WTX renowns at Chester-le-Street?