North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 5:29 pm)gtomlinson I can't see GNE taking on Arriva and more importantly, Stagecoach in the Cumbria region

GNE go roughly half way down that corridor between Hexham and Carlisle to Haltwhistle, and from my findingS which could be wrong, currently only the 685 operated by Arriva/Stagecoach serves that entire corridor.

And GNE wouldn't be competing, they'd be simply improving services along that corridor so to speak, as it would be daft to compete with Stagecoach/Reays in Carlisle. If they have a few services that go into Carlisle Town Centre and no further they should be fine.

I wouldn't expect them to go into direct competition and have a Service themselves from Carlisle to Penrith as they'd find they'll have the same problem as they did with the OK1 and plus they'd be further duplicating an already existing Service and also wasting a lot of money in doing so.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Adrian - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 5:47 pm)cbma06 Was that not C for Calvarly Coaches based at Concord?.

I remember the C10 in Sunderland in the late 80's early 90's, Sunderland to Pennywell operated by Jamsons Coaches from Pallion using and blue and white coach.

It would have been during the 00's. It ran to Waterview Park.

(08 Sep 2013, 5:40 pm)fozzovmurton I take your point mate, the point I was making about Sunderland-Hexham is not pure fantasy, as I said, it was mentioned to me as a rumour by a couple of drivers, whether they really believed it I dont know ans could have told me just to amuse me and give me something to talk about and mentioned that it would be a service I would use, but if would be financially viable, I dont know...Must say one thing mind, got to like Mr Malarkeys passion for the ideas he comes up with, he always puts some thought into it and obviously enjoys looking for that 1 idea that may just have us thinking it might just happen. 1 thing I must say, some suggestions I make is always pretty much what I would to myself and dont really think about the viability.

As always, I do like your enthusiasm, comes across as if you love coming up with a new idea and put thought into it, so well done mate...

However, Annan, really, that is really pushing it, if going to Annan, you may as well continue to Dumfries, not that I would put that suggestion, forward...Although it isnt likely to happen, that kind of run would be better for an coach operation

I was trying to find out if Carlisle was in a certain valley or something on Google Maps, then when I looked again, Gretna/Annan didn't look to far away, obviously in actual Miles compared to a Map it would be different. Could be something for Stagecoach in Cumbria to look into though, if haven't already got a Service in Place.

And thank you for those kind comments, I appreciate it, and as I said a few weeks ago when we had this Fantasy Argument amongst us, I did say I put a lot of Thought and Time and Effort into my suggestions compared to others.

And I do enjoy creating these Ideas even if some are terrible and a bit to the extreme. But to me that is the Beauty of it, as others can look at these Ideas and then help you Improve and Expand on them to find a better solution.

(08 Sep 2013, 6:00 pm)Adam Malarkey I was trying to find out if Carlisle was in a certain valley or something on Google Maps, then when I looked again, Gretna/Annan didn't look to far away, obviously in actual Miles compared to a Map it would be different. Could be something for Stagecoach in Cumbria to look into though, if haven't already got a Service in Place.

And thank you for those kind comments, I appreciate it, and as I said a few weeks ago when we had this Fantasy Argument amongst us, I did say I put a lot of Thought and Time and Effort into my suggestions compared to others.

And I do enjoy creating these Ideas even if some are terrible and a bit to the extreme. But to me that is the Beauty of it, as others can look at these Ideas and then help you Improve and Expand on them to find a better solution.

I think whoever came up with the old 638 must have been on fantasy island. Tongue

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 6:02 pm)aureolin I think whoever came up with the old 638 must have been on fantasy island. Tongue

Was the 638 ever actually used though? If it was, perhaps some thought had gone into it - if not, then I agree. :p

(08 Sep 2013, 6:03 pm)Daniel Was the 638 ever actually used though? If it was, perhaps some thought had gone into it - if not, then I agree. :p

It was quite heavily used between Sunderland and The Galleries, as it essentially ran a mix of what the 2A/2C route is now - along Chester Road, down Barnwell, under the railway arch down to Fatfield bridge, and then the 2C route from there on. I remember using it to Winlaton once as I was seeing someone from up that way, but never again. Tongue

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 6:08 pm)aureolin It was quite heavily used between Sunderland and The Galleries, as it essentially ran a mix of what the 2A/2C route is now - along Chester Road, down Barnwell, under the railway arch down to Fatfield bridge, and then the 2C route from there on. I remember using it to Winlaton once as I was seeing someone from up that way, but never again. Tongue

I don't think whoever invented the service would have expected anyone to travel from A to B, and the general consensus of the service would have no doubt to provide various links from various destinations - allowing passengers to have the ultimate freedom of choice.
Times were obviously different then so it's hard to compare it to a modern day equivalent. As we've already discussed, direct services aren't particularly common nowadays anyway - it's better (in the eyes of the operator) to have frequent services on multiple services and passengers have to change between these.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 6:03 pm)Daniel Was the 638 ever actually used though? If it was, perhaps some thought had gone into it - if not, then I agree. :p

the 638 used to be busy between galleries and Sunderland (especially around Penshaw and fatfield) I remember in the mornings that since the service has to be single decker operation due to fatfield Bridge there used to be 2 638 running together to Sunderland going past Grindon Mill at 08:15 always used to be nationals on there.

The 638 Sunderland to Ryton (later extended to Crawcrook) used to be 3 bus services combined into 1 bus service.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 08 Sep 2013

Ah the 638, hasn't been mentioned for a while.

As others have said, it was always busy, particularly on the Galleries - Sunderland section.
The fact that section still exists, is enough to tell me the demand is still there.

I remember the section between the Galleries and Low Fell wasn't that well used, however it still provided vital links for short hops. Unfortunately this section was never replaced - with passengers relying on what had been left after the cull in Washington and a number of services beyond Blackfell.

Beyond Low Fell, obviously the 69 still exists - but I can't comment on the 638 loadings.

Edit. I can vaguely remember that duplicate service. One was just a short run if I remember correctly though.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 08 Sep 2013

IIRC it was quite well used between Winlaton and Whickham, however, I don't recall ever seeing many passengers on the Winlaton to Ryton stretch. It was also quite well used in the summer with people going to Saltwell Park.

From my memories of the 638 I remember having Verdes/Striders on it on a daily basis with the odd Dart here and there. Then when it got changed to the 773/774 it used Plaxton Prestiges which was quite nice at the time, before having MPD's when GNE changed it again to the 73/74, again with the odd mixture before it changed to what it is now the 2A/2C.

I don't whether the demand was there between Washington and Crawcrook back in the days of the 638 as I only used it as far as The Galleries, but since then I think maybe the Demand has grown in that area, and be worth re-installing the link again, obviously not the whole route, but perhaps from Washington to Winlaton would be suitable.

(08 Sep 2013, 7:25 pm)Adam Malarkey From my memories of the 638 I remember having Verdes/Striders on it on a daily basis with the odd Dart here and there. Then when it got changed to the 773/774 it used Plaxton Prestiges which was quite nice at the time, before having MPD's when GNE changed it again to the 73/74, again with the odd mixture before it changed to what it is now the 2A/2C.

I don't whether the demand was there between Washington and Crawcrook back in the days of the 638 as I only used it as far as The Galleries, but since then I think maybe the Demand has grown in that area, and be worth re-installing the link again, obviously not the whole route, but perhaps from Washington to Winlaton would be suitable.

Washington - Oxclose - Blackfell - Springwell - Cotemede - Meresyde - Colegate - Whealcroft - QE Hosp - Beacon Lough - Kells Lane - Beaconsfield Road - Belle Vue Bank - old 638 route to terminus (Ryton or Crawcrook).
Can't see the need for it to go via Wrekenton or Harlow Green due to the increase in services in those areas.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 08 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 6:21 pm)Andreos1 Ah the 638, hasn't been mentioned for a while.

As others have said, it was always busy, particularly on the Galleries - Sunderland section.
The fact that section still exists, is enough to tell me the demand is still there.

I remember the section between the Galleries and Low Fell wasn't that well used, however it still provided vital links for short hops. Unfortunately this section was never replaced - with passengers relying on what had been left after the cull in Washington and a number of services beyond Blackfell.

Beyond Low Fell, obviously the 69 still exists - but I can't comment on the 638 loadings.

Edit. I can vaguely remember that duplicate service. One was just a short run if I remember correctly though.

yes short run, I think the duplicate only started at fatfield area if im right, used to be in the 638 timetable but at the bottom saying additional service run from Fatfield to Sunderland, both 638 buses were jammed packed though. Im just trying to remember what the bus was used after it got into Parklane bus station.

(08 Sep 2013, 7:39 pm)cbma06 yes short run, I think the duplicate only started at fatfield area if im right, used to be in the 638 timetable but at the bottom saying additional service run from Fatfield to Sunderland, both 638 buses were jammed packed though. Im just trying to remember what the bus was used after it got into Parklane bus station.

I think your right about it starting from Fatfield.
Once it got to Park Lane, I imagine it running onto a local scholars (would have arrived into Park Lane about 8.25ish) or a local Sunderland service.
Thinking about it, I wonder if it worked one of the Sunderland - Washington workers services before then, positioning it nicely for a run back to Sunderland?

As well as those 638s at 7.55ish, the 777 would also run busy 30mins later.

Although with the withdrawl on the 24 there has been a decrease in frequency, so perhaps an Hourly Service wouldn't do any harm.

Here are my suggestions

Washington - Oxclose - Blackfell - Eighton Banks - Wrekenton - Harlow Green - Low Fell - Bensham - Lobily Hill - Whickam - Blaydon - Winlaton

or

Washington - Oxclose - Blackfell - Springwell - Springwell Estate - Leam Lane Estate - Beacon Lough Estate - Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Low Fell - Team Valley - Bensham - Lobily Hill - Whickam - Blaydon - Winlaton

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - big mac - 09 Sep 2013

(08 Sep 2013, 7:34 pm)Andreos1 Washington - Oxclose - Blackfell - Springwell - Cotemede - Meresyde - Colegate - Whealcroft - QE Hosp - Beacon Lough - Kells Lane - Beaconsfield Road - Belle Vue Bank - old 638 route to terminus (Ryton or Crawcrook).
Can't see the need for it to go via Wrekenton or Harlow Green due to the increase in services in those areas.

If it did go to Wrekenton it would reinstate a link between Wrekenton and the section of Durham Road between Harlow Green Bridge and Low Fell Library, which hasn't been there ever since the 27A was withdrawn.

Whether that link is "vital" I don't know but it did exist for donkey's years under the 27A, and before that on the 25.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 09 Sep 2013

(09 Sep 2013, 6:22 pm)big mac If it did go to Wrekenton it would reinstate a link between Wrekenton and the section of Durham Road between Harlow Green Bridge and Low Fell Library, which hasn't been there ever since the 27A was withdrawn.

Whether that link is "vital" I don't know but it did exist for donkey's years under the 27A, and before that on the 25.

Completely forgot about that bit to be honest.
How many stops are we talking about that aren't covered between Harlow Green and Low Fell Library? 3-4?
The one on the bridge, the Jolly Miller, Appledore Gardens and the library? Not sure if I have imagined one or two there mind...

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - big mac - 09 Sep 2013

(09 Sep 2013, 6:31 pm)Andreos1 Completely forgot about that bit to be honest.
How many stops are we talking about that aren't covered between Harlow Green and Low Fell Library? 3-4?
The one on the bridge, the Jolly Miller, Appledore Gardens and the library? Not sure if I have imagined one or two there mind...

It's three each way. One at Low Fell Library/Lyndhurst. one near the Stone Trough (or Jolly Miller as it used to be), and one near Harlow Green Bridge.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Michael - 14 Sep 2013

Idea's for NEXUS services:

353 - Kingston Park - Airport - Killingworth - Four Lane Ends St Nicholas
Hospital - Kenton - Kingston Park - Hourly - 7 days a week (Hourly Evenings and Sundays)
-----------------
516/558 -

516 - Heworth - Fellgate - Seaburn - Boldon Colliery - Cleadon - South Shields – The Coast - South Tyneside District Hospital - every 30 mins - 7 days a week (Hourly Evenings and Sundays)

--------

37/73 - with a few changes -

37 - Doxford park - East Herrington - A19 - Washington Galleries - Concord - Castletown - Hylton College - Southwick - Wheatchef - Park lane - Durham road - Doxford park - Every 30 mins - Monday - Saturday only

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 14 Sep 2013

Quote:37/73 - with a few changes -

37 - Doxford park - East Herrington - A19 - Washington Galleries - Concord - Castletown - Hylton College - Southwick - Wheatchef - Park lane - Durham road - Doxford park - Every 30 mins - Monday - Saturday only

That would be an epic journey for someone from, say, Herrington Burn to go back to Doxford Park Wink