North East Buses
Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions (/showthread.php?tid=784)

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - S813 FVK - 27 Apr 2014

(27 Apr 2014, 5:56 am)Dan No depot is perfect with every depot having an 'issue' that can be picked out (whether it is allocations, engineering, etc). To me it suggests that the 'issue' lies with Stanley's engineering department.

Stanley is a good example of how a depot should be run. With the exception of the "Venture" Solo SR allocations, Stanley are pretty good when it comes to allocating branded vehicles to the correct services (just compare Stanley to Riverside).

Despite this, you'll find they have almost every vehicle of their spare vehicle allocation out in action on a daily basis, while the branded vehicles are repaired.

Part of their spare vehicle allocation (on weekends/school holidays) is made up by the "Yellow Bus" branded Olympians, and you'll find that branded vehicles are often substitued for these vehicles - much to the annoyance of higher management. I'd argue that Stanley are applying 'quick fixes' to get the branded vehicles out straight away (thereby keeping GNE management's faces straight!) and not actually fixing the issues properly with the vehicles.

With this in mind, things SHOULD improve by the end of the year - once the Olympians have departed the fleet. For now I think the current allocation works well.

Picking up from here I thought it would be a good time to ask this but who controls the operations of the Venture SRs? Does somebody from Stanley do it or is somebody appointed to do it that lives near Consett so they don't lose fuel going up and down every night?

[quote'nk55' pid='40603' dateline='1398589318']

Going back a few months, gne had a red versa on the diamond network before it went onto the 58. Thinking back i'm of the opinion that the vehicle was "liked" by drivers & passengers alike. I think part of the 80 bus order will go to optare for diamond upgrade if not for the lime & toon link aswell.
[/quote]

There really isn't any need for a Diamond upgrade just yet as the Citaros cope very well on the Diamond services. Its just the maintenance side of things that isn't as suggested before by Dan. The Lime and Toon Link however, because of the buses they currently use (or most of them in the Toon Link case) are very unreliable and its the buses that are the problem and not the Maintenance.

With the lime I have to say that 4850-4855 are the worst. I don't know whether to include 4896 in that as I don't know which Lime a Chester-le-Street spare is replacing so I just assume its the older 6 buses on the route.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - R852 PRG - 27 Apr 2014

(27 Apr 2014, 9:27 am)Robert [quote'nk55' pid='40603' dateline='1398589318']

Going back a few months, gne had a red versa on the diamond network before it went onto the 58. Thinking back i'm of the opinion that the vehicle was "liked" by drivers & passengers alike. I think part of the 80 bus order will go to optare for diamond upgrade if not for the lime & toon link aswell.

There really isn't any need for a Diamond upgrade just yet as the Citaros cope very well on the Diamond services. Its just the maintenance side of things that isn't as suggested before by Dan. The Lime and Toon Link however, because of the buses they currently use (or most of them in the Toon Link case) are very unreliable and its the buses that are the problem and not the Maintenance.

With the lime I have to say that 4850-4855 are the worst. I don't know whether to include 4896 in that as I don't know which Lime a Chester-le-Street spare is replacing so I just assume its the older 6 buses on the route.
[/quote]

4850 is terrible. 4852 is my favourite, 4855 is alright, 4853 seems to be a bit dodgy like 4851. 4854 seems to have recovered well after it's accident a few years back. 4896 is one of the better ones. All 7 are used on the route, so 13 buses altogether PVR. It's hard to explain the timings without cocking it up, but here it sort of goes;

Consett & Back - 2 hours 9 minutes
Stanley & Back - 57 minutes
(78) Sunderland & Back - 1 hour 41 minutes
(8) Sunderland & Back - 1 hour 41 minutes

(that's including that 78 & 8 inter work at Sunderland)

That would come to (for a full round trip on one vehicle) nearly 6 and a half hours. Split that into the timings and you need 13 vehicles. I'm not sure if you didn't already know that, it's just your post didn't look clear. If what you're trying to say is that 4896 might not get withdrawn because of it being younger than the R reg vehicles, it probably will be, and I would think all 13 limes would be withdrawn when their replacements arrive.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Michael - 27 Apr 2014

All the Lime B10's will be withdrawn.

It will gain 13 new branded buses and 2 spare (1 each at chester/stanley)

Sure this was confirmed ages ago by a few people on here..

(27 Apr 2014, 10:43 am)Michael All the Lime B10's will be withdrawn.

It will gain 13 new branded buses and 2 spare (1 each at chester/stanley)

Sure this was confirmed ages ago by a few people on here..

Yes, we know what is going to happen with the new buses and what will happen to the Renowns, we were just talking about the Renowns and looking at possibly what is making them so unreliable...

(27 Apr 2014, 11:22 am)Robert Yes, we know what is going to happen with the new buses and what will happen to the Renowns, we were just talking about the Renowns and looking at possibly what is making them so unreliable...

When you think about it, they've survived nearly 8 years on probably one of GNE's most demanding routes (and if I'm not mistaken they were already used on it as the 778) I'm honestly surprised they haven't fallen apart yet. I know they'll be withdrawn and sold, but they would make excellent driver training vehicles. I'd love to train in a Renown if I was to become a driver (I think there's that 15 meter law or something like that though). Hats off to whoever at Volvo that built those 13 buses.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Andreos1 - 27 Apr 2014

(27 Apr 2014, 11:35 am)Marcus When you think about it, they've survived nearly 8 years on probably one of GNE's most demanding routes (and if I'm not mistaken they were already used on it as the 778) I'm honestly surprised they haven't fallen apart yet. I know they'll be withdrawn and sold, but they would make excellent driver training vehicles. I'd love to train in a Renown if I was to become a driver (I think there's that 15 meter law or something like that though). Hats off to whoever at Volvo that built those 13 buses.

775/778 and 194/294 before then.
Said a few months ago, they're the modern version of the National.

Although some models look tatty, the bodywork looks to have lasted too.

If you think back, the amount of b10 vehicles up and down the country, going back to step entrance Alexander versions from early L/M reg examples, have lasted and performed well. Well beyond anything else.

(27 Apr 2014, 11:45 am)Andreos Constantopolous 775/778 and 194/294 before then.
Said a few months ago, they're the modern version of the National.

Although some models look tatty, the bodywork looks to have lasted too.

If you think back, the amount of b10 vehicles up and down the country, going back to step entrance Alexander versions from early L/M reg examples, have lasted and performed well. Well beyond anything else.

I've heard one or two of the older driver's who have started in the 90s that have compared the B10s to the Nationals. If you check out the NNRG Facebook page they are using their 4710 on a rerun of the 724 on 31 August starting at South Burns and going to Bishop.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Michael - 27 Apr 2014

(27 Apr 2014, 11:35 am)Marcus When you think about it, they've survived nearly 8 years on probably one of GNE's most demanding routes (and if I'm not mistaken they were already used on it as the 778) I'm honestly surprised they haven't fallen apart yet. I know they'll be withdrawn and sold, but they would make excellent driver training vehicles. I'd love to train in a Renown if I was to become a driver (I think there's that 15 meter law or something like that though). Hats off to whoever at Volvo that built those 13 buses.

They currently my fav buses in the GNE fleet, Volvo built good buses there.. will miss them when they are withdrawn

(27 Apr 2014, 11:58 am)Michael They currently my fav buses in the GNE fleet, Volvo built good buses there.. will miss them when they are withdrawn

They certainly are revolutionary buses. I will miss 4855 the most, it was my late grandad's favorite, albeit my own favorite is 4852.

(27 Apr 2014, 11:51 am)Marcus I've heard one or two of the older driver's who have started in the 90s that have compared the B10s to the Nationals. If you check out the NNRG Facebook page they are using their 4710 on a rerun of the 724 on 31 August starting at South Burns and going to Bishop.

Do you have a link?

(27 Apr 2014, 12:32 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Do you have a link?

Certainly mate;

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernNationalRestorationGroup

p.s. It mentions a lot about the late Ian Hignett and his work with them, and also they are having a minutes silence at the Metrocentre Rally to remember him according to one of their posts.

(27 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm)Marcus Certainly mate;

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernNationalRestorationGroup

p.s. It mentions a lot about the late Ian Hignett and his work with them, and also they are having a minutes silence at the Metrocentre Rally to remember him according to one of their posts.

Wouldn't mind a ride on it again.
Used it quite a bit when it was in service and it always seemed a good bus.

Have seen it out and about, but never had the chance to ride it since restoration.

Cheers for the link Smile

(27 Apr 2014, 1:45 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Wouldn't mind a ride on it again.
Used it quite a bit when it was in service and it always seemed a good bus.

Have seen it out and about, but never had the chance to ride it since restoration.

Cheers for the link Smile

No problem Big Grin. I was about seven when it was withdrawn from service. For some reason I find their Facebook posts quite confusing; did they buy 4681 and now is that masquerading as 4710, or did they get both?, or was 4710 scrapped and 4681 saved? I can't get my head around it.

(27 Apr 2014, 1:49 pm)Marcus No problem Big Grin. I was about seven when it was withdrawn from service. For some reason I find their Facebook posts quite confusing; did they buy 4681 and now is that masquerading as 4710, or did they get both?, or was 4710 scrapped and 4681 saved? I can't get my head around it.

Both.
It wont let me copy the text, but 4681 and 4710 are in ownership, with 4710 being passed over from NEBPT last year.

It tells you in the about/description page about the plans for both vehicles.
Not sure how upto date it is though.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Adrian - 27 Apr 2014

(27 Apr 2014, 9:27 am)Robert There really isn't any need for a Diamond upgrade just yet as the Citaros cope very well on the Diamond services. Its just the maintenance side of things that isn't as suggested before by Dan. The Lime and Toon Link however, because of the buses they currently use (or most of them in the Toon Link case) are very unreliable and its the buses that are the problem and not the Maintenance.

But how many times do you see a non-Lime branded vehicle on the 8 or 78? I still use the 8 quite often, and it's very rare that a branded B10 doesn't turn up. I'd doubt they'd be seen as very unreliable given that?

(27 Apr 2014, 2:15 pm)aureolin But how many times do you see a non-Lime branded vehicle on the 8 or 78? I still use the 8 quite often, and it's very rare that a branded B10 doesn't turn up. I'd doubt they'd be seen as very unreliable given that?

I'd say at least one unbranded vehicle on the Lime every couple of days, and it's normally one of Stanley's. Also worth mentioning, Stanley put more non-Lime branded vehicles on like Diamonds and Red Kites. I occasionally see Whey Aye Five 0 OmniCities on the Chester runs, but I haven't seen any other branded vehicles on it in a long time. Before the Versas arrived on the Worm a load of DAFs would get used in the event of a single decker spare being unavailable. I rarely get Northern spares on it, and after the 21 I use it practically daily.

(27 Apr 2014, 2:31 pm)Marcus I'd say at least one unbranded vehicle on the Lime every couple of days, and it's normally one of Stanley's. Also worth mentioning, Stanley put more non-Lime branded vehicles on like Diamonds and Red Kites. I occasionally see Whey Aye Five 0 OmniCities on the Chester runs, but I haven't seen any other branded vehicles on it in a long time. Before the Versas arrived on the Worm a load of DAFs would get used in the event of a single decker spare being unavailable. I rarely get Northern spares on it, and after the 21 I use it practically daily.

Its the complete opposite for me. Most of the time it is Chester-Le-Street spares that I see rather than Stanley spares. A Red Kite and a Diamond bus covering for a Lime is far better than a Venture SR like we have seen in the past but these buses have probably been placed on because of lack of spare single decker stock out on the road which will usually be covering for the missing branded bus on the Lime.

It may be rare but it is becoming more common as if you monitor the buses on the service for a good period of time you will notice that with 1 spare been allocated a day (at least) that will soon add up to show the services poor reliability. Bit like the X7 when it had its renowns. They started off great but over time you could tell that the buses were struggling to cope with the amount of spares that appeared on the route over the period of time before the Citaros were brought in.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Tom - 27 Apr 2014

(27 Apr 2014, 2:52 pm)Robert Its the complete opposite for me. Most of the time it is Chester-Le-Street spares that I see rather than Stanley spares. A Red Kite and a Diamond bus covering for a Lime is far better than a Venture SR like we have seen in the past but these buses have probably been placed on because of lack of spare single decker stock out on the road which will usually be covering for the missing branded bus on the Lime.

It may be rare but it is becoming more common as if you monitor the buses on the service for a good period of time you will notice that with 1 spare been allocated a day (at least) that will soon add up to show the services poor reliability. Bit like the X7 when it had its renowns. They started off great but over time you could tell that the buses were struggling to cope with the amount of spares that appeared on the route over the period of time before the Citaros were brought in.

When I went to Sunderland in the half-term, it appeared to be more Chester-le-Street spares used. I saw 4906, 4908, 4914 and 4929 on the ''Lime'' services, so thats three Chester-le-Street spares, and one Stanley spares. In the past, it has been the same story, with more Chester-le-Street spares being used.

(27 Apr 2014, 3:00 pm)Tom When I went to Sunderland in the half-term, it appeared to be more Chester-le-Street spares used. I saw 4906, 4908, 4914 and 4929 on the ''Lime'' services, so thats three Chester-le-Street spares, and one Stanley spares. In the past, it has been the same story, with more Chester-le-Street spares being used.

I must admit this though; when 4837, 4838, 4839 and 4844 were still in service they were on the Lime quite a bit. Recently I've only seen out of the four younger Renowns about half a dozen on the Lime, and each time it's been 4907. Quite a few have been on the 50 recently as well as the 28.