North East Buses
Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions (/showthread.php?tid=784)

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 07 Jun 2014

(07 Jun 2014, 11:27 am)cbma06 Whats the chances IF GNE buying new buses for X9/X10 in the next order of buses and the X9/X10 buses be used on service X21?, to get rid of the Prontos (any maybe their get rid of the Pronto livery and have the X21 in the same livery as the X9/X10[/i].

Not likely, I'm afraid.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 07 Jun 2014

But the Olympians did last on the TTX and often bailed out the B7's when they broke down. The only thing that limited them was the fuel capacity. Unless GNE forked out for Astromegas therefore making the service unviable thus reducing flexibility options, the only two options are to either reduce capacity and growth by purchasing single deck coaches or purchase eco friendly double deckers that breakdown and cause passengers to go elsewhere such as by using the train.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - BJ10VUS - 07 Jun 2014

(07 Jun 2014, 11:58 am)DaveyBowyer But the Olympians did last on the TTX and often bailed out the B7's when they broke down. The only thing that limited them was the fuel capacity. Unless GNE forked out for Astromegas therefore making the service unviable thus reducing flexibility options, the only two options are to either reduce capacity and growth by purchasing single deck coaches or purchase eco friendly double deckers that breakdown and cause passengers to go elsewhere such as by using the train.

What trains do you mean? The much more luxurious 20-odd year old Pacers? Tongue

Thing is, I think you just have to accept that there is no way GNE are going to put Palatines back on to the TTX, or Palatine engines in to a modern bus. While they were built to last, they don't meet the new Euro 6 standards, and there's no point in going backwards with emissions when they're aiming to be a 'greener' company.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Malarkey - 07 Jun 2014

Just a thought

X9 - Newcastle – Gateshead – Heworth – Peterlee – Billingham – Stockton Middlesbrough - Every 30 Minutes using B9TL's Operated by Go North East

X10/X93 - Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - Middlesbrough - Whitby - Robin Hoods Bay - Scarborough - Every 1 Hour/Every 2 Hours per Operator using Coaches (Limited Stopping Service, Jointly Operated with Arriva) - 10 Minutes Layover in Middlesbrough before changing into X10/X93 - 5 Minutes Layover at Each End of the Route using 2 Drivers, 1 Each Way to meet European Driving Requirments.

X92 - Middlesbrough - Whitby - Every 30 Minutes using B7TL's Operated by Arriva

The Cost of the Coaches would be evenly split between both Operators, and would be Operated in same way as National Express/Stagecoach Megabus Services.

Re: RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Adrian - 07 Jun 2014

(07 Jun 2014, 1:53 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Just a thought

X9 - Newcastle – Gateshead – Heworth – Peterlee – Billingham – Stockton Middlesbrough - Every 30 Minutes using B9TL's Operated by Go North East

X10/X93 - Newcastle - Gateshead - Heworth - Middlesbrough - Whitby - Robin Hoods Bay - Scarborough - Every 1 Hour/Every 2 Hours per Operator using Coaches (Limited Stopping Service, Jointly Operated with Arriva) - 10 Minutes Layover in Middlesbrough before changing into X10/X93 - 5 Minutes Layover at Each End of the Route using 2 Drivers, 1 Each Way to meet European Driving Requirments.

The Cost of the Coaches would be evenly split between both Operators, and would be Operated in same way as National Express/Stagecoach Megabus Services.

I'd put my money on the competition commission having something to say about that. It's anti competitive, and the kind of partnership you wouldn't expect.

(07 Jun 2014, 1:53 pm)NEBCD Malarkey Just a thought

I like your X10, X92 and X93 idea but for the X9, the best strategy would be to purchase B8RLE's due to the frequency increase and also the fact thay they've been designed for endurance purposes by Volvo. Just add to the routes for evenings and Sundays though, GNE would operate the X9 hourly using the B8TL and Arriva would operate the sector between Middlesborough and Scarborough on their basis.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Andreos1 - 07 Jun 2014

Just my two-penneth with the vehicles and spec.

When someone buys a car, they have a choice of vehicles, with different specifications and different manufacturers.

They choose the one, which will hopefully be suitable and meet the requirements.
Engine, the size of the engine, performance etc will be taken in to account.

How many drivers, doing heavy mileage on the Motorway, will buy an underpowered car? How many of those underpowered cars would last, being driven into the ground day in, day out?

Obviously the passenger transport market is a lot smaller.
Takeovers and bankruptcies have seen to that.

Either way, (speaking the obvious here) bus operators need to find a vehicle which suits the demands of the route.
It is highly unlikely we would see a lightweight citybus allocated onto the 78 or 28. Just as it is unlikely I would buy a 1l Micra to use for business.
So why is it, we see an underpowered urban bus, allocated to the x9/10?

If those vehicles last the period specified by Dan, I will eat hay with a donkey.

I have already said elsewhere, that there is scope to grow the service - either by GNE or another operator.
Cascaded Stagecoach coaches from Scotland perhaps? I am sure residents of Billingham, Hartlepool, Stockton and Middlesbrough would appreciate a through ticket from their estates. A lot cheaper than buying tickets for two operators - with the added bonus of the vehicle turning up, offering the promised perks too.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Malarkey - 07 Jun 2014

(07 Jun 2014, 1:58 pm)aureolin I'd put my money on the competition commission having something to say about that. It's anti competitive, and the kind of partnership you wouldn't expect.

But what about the Partnership between Stagecoach and Arriva with the 685, is that not anti-competitive to some extent, from looking at my idea on Paper I would say competition is evenly split between Go North East and Arriva.

BREAKING NEWS: Just been browsing and I've come across that Volvo are to introduce the D8K engine into double deckers for Euro 6 BUT, it will the tri axial only. I don't know about the bodywork but I do know that First Glasgow operate tri axial E500's that are built for the Chinese markets. Now if ADL or Wrightbus body the tri axial B8TL, it would be the perfect replacement for the B9TL on the TTX offering the capacity and flexibility of a bus but the characteristics of a coach.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 08 Jun 2014

(07 Jun 2014, 9:38 pm)DaveyBowyer BREAKING NEWS: Just been browsing and I've come across that Volvo are to introduce the D8K engine into double deckers for Euro 6 BUT, it will the tri axial only. I don't know about the bodywork but I do know that First Glasgow operate tri axial E500's that are built for the Chinese markets. Now if ADL or Wrightbus body the tri axial B8TL, it would be the perfect replacement for the B9TL on the TTX offering the capacity and flexibility of a bus but the characteristics of a coach.

Have you got a source for this? Last I heard was that they were using this engine for coaches only.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 08 Jun 2014

There's no source but if you type in B8TL on google, it will show up that the tri axial replacement for the B9TL will be the B8TL . Tri axis would be far better for the TTX anyways.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 08 Jun 2014

(08 Jun 2014, 9:52 am)DaveyBowyer There's no source but if you type in B8TL on google, it will show up that the tri axial replacement for the B9TL will be the B8TL . Tri axis would be far better for the TTX anyways.

I note this is from September 2012, yet nothing has come to light of the B8TL yet..?

I know that there's nothing to light yet but I certainly don't think the Chinese will compromise on power for the sake of economy. They'll want big heavy and powerful double deckers built. Volvo even built a B10TL for the Chinese market when the B7TL was launched over here.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - BJ10VUS - 08 Jun 2014

(08 Jun 2014, 10:04 am)DaveyBowyer I know that there's nothing to light yet but I certainly don't think the Chinese will compromise on power for the sake of economy. They'll want big heavy and powerful double deckers built. Volvo even built a B10TL for the Chinese market when the B7TL was launched over here.

Yes, but look at the pollution levels in Beijing compared to somewhere like Newcastle or Middlesbrough. The fact of the matter is, with the new EU 'Euro 6' regulations, whatever new buses GNE buy for the TTX, they'll be 'green' whether you like it or not.

Also, while tri-axle vehicles would help with capacity, they'll be horrendous on fuel. Glasgow's Enviro 500s, for example, just drink diesel and it won't be good for a route that covers so many miles.

(08 Jun 2014, 10:14 am)BJ10VUS Yes, but look at the pollution levels in Beijing compared to somewhere like Newcastle or Middlesbrough. The fact of the matter is, with the new EU 'Euro 6' regulations, whatever new buses GNE buy for the TTX, they'll be 'green' whether you like it or not.

Also, while tri-axle vehicles would help with capacity, they'll be horrendous on fuel. Glasgow's Enviro 500s, for example, just drink diesel and it won't be good for a route that covers so many miles.

But with a new powerful engine, tri axile and if GNE opted to choose the correct gearbox, the reliability would be pretty good. What I've noticed is that GNE will compromise on economy where reliability will suffer. If they were that concerned about economy, they would've ordered the DB300 or E400 rather than the B9TL for many of the B9TL routes. GNE clearly statedd back in 2011 when they ordered the B9TL was that they wanted a bigger engine to improve reliability and they've done that. But all they need to do for the next step is to combine that with the correct gearing ratios and general build for long distances. The B8TL would still be Euro 6 if Volvo went ahead with it. Put it this way, a Euro 6 tri axial would use the same amount if not, slightly more fuel than a Palatine 2. But the reliability with a 280bhp engine (no turbocharging) and a good gearing and build setup would be very good.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Scott - 11 Jun 2014

(08 Jun 2014, 10:14 am)BJ10VUS Yes, but look at the pollution levels in Beijing compared to somewhere like Newcastle or Middlesbrough. The fact of the matter is, with the new EU 'Euro 6' regulations, whatever new buses GNE buy for the TTX, they'll be 'green' whether you like it or not.

Glasgow's Enviro 500s are the old model. Alexander Dennis have since introduced a much updated version, which at Euro 6 should be better on fuel.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - minibus1474 - 17 Jun 2014

My predictions :
LASER 35. 18 Volvo B5 allowing 11 Mercedes Citaro to go on Highywayman, plus a spare. 6 Scania go red to replace Volvo B10.

PRINCE BISHOP 20. 12 Volvo B5 allowing 12 Scania to go red for Volvo B10 replacement.

This would allow 5201~04, 5211~17(11 buses) to replace 5151~59,5165,5166 at Percy Main.

4968-72 would replace 5160-64 at Saltmeadows on service 5.

CRUSADER 27

No investment in 2014, with Prince Bishop receiving this instead.

LIME 8/78

15(13+2) Mercedes Citaro, allowing 4850-55 to be withdrawn.

TOONLINK 11,31,32,47

15 Long Streetlites (13+2) allowing 4841/5144-50 to be withdrawn, and 4978-82 to replace 5167-71.
Revised branding name and colours, possibly going into Venture colours.

FAB57

5167-71 withdrawn and replaced by Volvo B7 4978-82.
Toonlink colours and name retained.

All articulated buses kept in service, until 2015, allowing further evaluation of euro 6 types.

Withdrawn 4841-47,4850-55, 4896-4911, 5144-71. Total 56.

New B5 6118-6151(33), Streetlite 5391-5405 (15), Mercedes Citaro 5406-21 (15) total 63.
Difference of 7 allows 4912-25 to be kept for float vehicles allowing 5234-5319 to be refurbished.

Predictions for 2015.

Quaylink Versa 8311-19 moved to Percy Main, and rebranded as Centurion keeping pale yellow.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Michael - 17 Jun 2014

(17 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm)minibus1474 My predictions :
LASER 35. 18 Volvo B5 allowing 11 Mercedes Citaro to go on Highywayman, plus a spare. 6 Scania go red to replace Volvo B10.

PRINCE BISHOP 20. 12 Volvo B5 allowing 12 Scania to go red for Volvo B10 replacement.

This would allow 5201~04, 5211~17(11 buses) to replace 5151~59,5165,5166 at Percy Main.

4968-72 would replace 5160-64 at Saltmeadows on service 5.

CRUSADER 27

No investment in 2014, with Prince Bishop receiving this instead.

LIME 8/78

15(13+2) Mercedes Citaro, allowing 4850-55 to be withdrawn.

TOONLINK 11,31,32,47

15 Long Streetlites (13+2) allowing 4841/5144-50 to be withdrawn, and 4978-82 to replace 5167-71.
Revised branding name and colours, possibly going into Venture colours.

FAB57

5167-71 withdrawn and replaced by Volvo B7 4978-82.
Toonlink colours and name retained.

All articulated buses kept in service, until 2015, allowing further evaluation of euro 6 types.

Predictions for 2015.

Quaylink Versa 8311-19 moved to Percy Main, and rebranded as Centurion keeping pale yellow.

The X66 was confirmed to be getting new buses this year along with the Lime, the current citaro bendies should be withdrawn, as for the ones on the X40.. not sure.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 17 Jun 2014

(17 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm)minibus1474 Predictions for 2015.

As a side-note, the "QuayLink" branded Optare Versas, when displaced, will be due for a repaint.

(17 Jun 2014, 1:09 pm)Michael The X66 was confirmed to be getting new buses this year along with the Lime, the current citaro bendies should be withdrawn, as for the ones on the X40.. not sure.

Not confirmed, but strongly suggested. Wink

What I will say is that Go North East are familiar with the process of part exchanging vehicles to fund the purchase of brand new Optare products.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 17 Jun 2014

I'd say that the 27 could be the perfect candidate for the E400 MMC though. It's not too demanding and could give GNE the opportinuty trial the two spares on B9TL services that will need replacing in the foreseeable future excluding the TTX.