North East Buses
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1251)

RE: Go North East - Latest - VolvoMarkII - 12 Jan 2014

Fast Cats is a pointless brand. Nothing 'fast' about it on the X35 end!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Adrian - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 12:17 pm)Bazza Houston Cross Tyne was a good brand for 9 they should bring it back but on different vehicles Doxford Clipper was good i liked that Black Cats i agree with Michael should have been red and white mainly because it goes past the Stadium Of Light and i am a Sunderland Supporter too like Michael Derwent Ranger was good on 47 canny good brand til these vehicles were refurbished and repainted purple for Orbit then went to gateshead from winlaton Magic Roundabout was an ok brand but was too much i liked it though X3, 99/99A, 71, X22 and 27X will probs not get a brand due to the PVR being low Washington Street Shuttle might return probs with a mix of Versas and Solos West Durham Swift would be ideal to bring back when they got the Angel cascases i thought they were gonna get a brand put on there but X25 should get branded as a simple X25, 13/14 something to do with its durham heritage 15/15A something like Venture express but the gateshead local routes will be ideal for 64/64A/95/95A

I hope not. Awful brand on awful buses. Undecided

RE: Go North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm)VolvoMarkII Fast Cats is a pointless brand. Nothing 'fast' about it on the X35 end!

A bit like Arriva's X4 and X5 from Blyth - X means nothing

RE: Go North East - Latest - Diamond One - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm)aureolin I hope not. Awful brand on awful buses. Undecided

i used to hate the vehicles appearing on my local route 88/88A when they were off route some hurt my back

RE: Go North East - Latest - Coastliner700 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 12:18 pm)aureolin I think someone (andreos1?) has touched upon this before, and that it may be related to the former limestone mining around the areas it serves between Consett and Chester Le Street.

I was at GNE when the orbit design was thought up and it as designed to be a sister brand to The Loop! As it orbits the extremes of Gateshead. The b7s originally allocated were cascaded from The Derwent Ranger which, simply vanished afrer having there hard urban seats taken out of them and replaced. Ironically these vehicles found there were back on in form of Toon Link I believe. Toon Link seems another pointless brand as it could include almost every bus that goes into Newcastle!

RE: Go North East - Latest - Dan - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm)VolvoMarkII Fast Cats is a pointless brand. Nothing 'fast' about it on the X35 end!

It's still marketed as an 'express service' however long it takes, hence 'Fast'. There are many express services - such as Arriva's X4/X5 as citaro5284 said above - which aren't particularly fast.

'Cats' no doubt links to the 'Black Cats' (hence colour of bus).

The brand is undoubtedly more suited to the X36 (it providing local Sunderland links as well as links further afield to Newcastle), but I wouldn't say it's 'pointless' for the X35 at all.

RE: Go North East - Latest - palatine3833 - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 8:24 am)Dan Stagecoach can hardly compare to Go North East - the latter's fleet has approximately 200 more vehicles and their network size is huge compared to Stagecoach's.

You rarely see Stagecoach trying out new things (I admit - last year - they added a higher frequency on services in Newcastle and introduced an extension to Seaburn on service 23 in Sunderland), and I have a feeling Stagecoach's 'steady profit levels' are shown clearly by the lack of investment in certain depots, which must be pretty low for the lack of investment up until last year (or if they are high, why are SNE not investing profit back into the company like GNE?)
Teesside is highly neglected I feel. Go North East at least spread their investment out into depots evenly, where it can be justified. Stagecoach just don't seem to do that - with one depot getting all investment (Sunderland last year) and others left to cope with the cascades which are quite old now too.

I'd prefer a network which changes (often for the best) if Go North East are maximising profit levels and giving customers the best possible buses on those routes affected by change.

The two Newcastle and South Shields depots for Stagecoach have received huge investments in terms of vehicles and yet they seem to still bring in the money. I think the main problem is, Go North East do try and meddle with their services too much, so much that people don't know whether they're coming or going. Unfortunately, the majority of their plans put their profits before the customer demand.

(12 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm)palatine3833 The two Newcastle and South Shields depots for Stagecoach have received huge investments in terms of vehicles and yet they seem to still bring in the money. I think the main problem is, Go North East do try and meddle with their services too much, so much that people don't know whether they're coming or going. Unfortunately, the majority of their plans put their profits before the customer demand.

Newcastle I agree will bring in the money, which is why a great deal of Enviro 400s have been purchased. Even still, you're looking at the latest batch (Hybrids) being from 2011. It's 2014 now.

South Shields... I agree less. Don't get me wrong, it will bring in a lot of money (there wouldn't be much point having its operations otherwise)... But I can't help but feel that if they were to play around with services and perhaps introduce a few more, they may be better off. They'd stand a higher chance of bigger profits and they would therefore be able to re-invest it into the fleets to provide customers with better vehicles.

In regards to plans putting profits before customer demand... I definitely disagree. Customers are who GNE get their profits from - if the demand is there and great enough, a service will be operated. If the demand for a service is small and it's not generating profit (run by run), that specific run will be axed. While it's great some operators justify operating underused services by looking at overall profit levels or looking at services they connect to, it's just not a particularly effective way of actually making a great deal of profit if you ask me.

(12 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm)palatine3833 The two Newcastle and South Shields depots for Stagecoach have received huge investments in terms of vehicles and yet they seem to still bring in the money.

If you look at where Newcastle operate, most of their routes have a high proportion of students or they serve area's where there is a high percentage of families without access to a car, put this with a much smaller operating area, and that is how Newcastle bring the money in.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Michael - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 12:39 pm)Dan Newcastle I agree will bring in the money, which is why a great deal of Enviro 400s have been purchased. Even still, you're looking at the latest batch (Hybrids) being from 2011. It's 2014 now.

South Shields... I agree less. Don't get me wrong, it will bring in a lot of money (there wouldn't be much point having its operations otherwise)... But I can't help but feel that if they were to play around with services and perhaps introduce a few more, they may be better off. They'd stand a higher chance of bigger profits and they would therefore be able to re-invest it into the fleets to provide customers with better vehicles.

In regards to plans putting profits before customer demand... I definitely disagree. Customers are who GNE get their profits from - if the demand is there and great enough, a service will be operated. If the demand for a service is small and it's not generating profit (run by run), that specific run will be axed. While it's great some operators justify operating underused services by looking at overall profit levels or looking at services they connect to, it's just not a particularly effective way of actually making a great deal of profit if you ask me.

Stagecoach seem to be taking turns in investing for their depot's, for massive orders, it's Sunderland this time, with 61 buses ordered (23 more later this year).

question for dan when is the bi-weekly news update gonna be out?

(12 Jan 2014, 1:10 pm)Bazza Houston question for dan when is the bi-weekly news update gonna be out?

About 19 minutes, if I can type it fast enough Wink

(12 Jan 2014, 1:11 pm)Dan About 19 minutes, if I can type it fast enough Wink

sounds good Smile so far

(12 Jan 2014, 1:14 pm)Bazza Houston sounds good Smile so far

Up now.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Greg in Weardale - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 12:32 pm)palatine3833 The two Newcastle and South Shields depots for Stagecoach have received huge investments in terms of vehicles and yet they seem to still bring in the money. I think the main problem is, Go North East do try and meddle with their services too much, so much that people don't know whether they're coming or going. Unfortunately, the majority of their plans put their profits before the customer demand.

You've got it exactly.

(12 Jan 2014, 2:26 pm)Greg in Weardale You've got it exactly.

And of course run an X3 for no profit all the way into Sunderland?

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 12 Jan 2014

So as all of the Solar (excluding 5210) will be staying at Deptford, will no other SPD's be withdrawn other than Deptfords?

(12 Jan 2014, 2:30 pm)Tom So as all of the Solar (excluding 5210) will be staying at Deptford, will no other SPD's be withdrawn other than Deptfords?

There is another Solar moving as well, but SPD's will be withdrawn from other locations when all the B9's from this batch enter service.

(12 Jan 2014, 2:30 pm)Tom So as all of the Solar (excluding 5210) will be staying at Deptford, will no other SPD's be withdrawn other than Deptfords?

Of course, one or two B10BLE vehicles will also become available at the end of the month if the X36 is to be operated by Solars...
With that in mind, maybe one or two could go elsewhere to replace SPDs?

The remaining SPDs in the fleet after next week will all be withdrawn with the "Cobalt Clipper" cascades.

RE: Go North East - Latest - Tom - 12 Jan 2014

(12 Jan 2014, 2:34 pm)Dan Of course, one or two B10BLE vehicles will also become available at the end of the month if the X36 is to be operated by Solars...
With that in mind, maybe one or two could go elsewhere to replace SPDs?

The remaining SPDs in the fleet after next week will all be withdrawn with the "Cobalt Clipper" cascades.

Yeah, I guess the ''Whey-aye-Five-0'' Solar will be transferred to various depots, as an example, 4926 will go to Stanley to replace 8221, 4927 to Gateshead to replace 8229, 4928 and 4929 staying at Chester-le-Street to replace 8236 and 8237, then 4930 and 4931 to Percy Main to replace 8239 and 8241. I reckon 8238 will be replaced by a B10BLE.