North East Buses
Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014 (/showthread.php?tid=1305)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Michael - 16 Jan 2014

PB0002717/294 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Middlesbrough and Saltersgill given service number 30 effective from 16-Feb-2014.

PB0002717/295 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Middlesbrough and Swans Corner given service number 627 effective from 16-Feb-2014.

PB0002717/297 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Middlesbrough and Middlesbrough given service number 631/632 effective from 16-Feb-2014.

PB0002717/305 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Redcar and Lingdale given service number 4A/4 effective from 16-Feb-2014.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Kuyoyo - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 4:41 pm)Tom When will the Northumbria area of the Live map be active?

If you look, all depots are now active and working.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Adrian - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm)tyresmoke It would but as far as I know there's none definitely on order, but may be some in an extension to the order.

Interesting to hear the Arriva Bus app is being promoted on TFM Radio and Metro Radio, with a competition to give away various goodies... Its definitely been interesting to watch on my days off to see how things are doing!

The Arriva Bus app is really good, but just a shame the m-Ticket app is crap. The moment a smart card becomes available I'll be changing over.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - busman101 - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm)tyresmoke It would but as far as I know there's none definitely on order, but may be some in an extension to the order.

Interesting to hear the Arriva Bus app is being promoted on TFM Radio and Metro Radio, with a competition to give away various goodies... Its definitely been interesting to watch on my days off to see how things are doing!

I agree on the interesting to see how things are doing - not very well when I had a look the other morning in the peak. There where some huge gaps in the 6 as well - unless some buses weren't showing. The app is brilliant, but you need to get the buses on time to get more folk to use them.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Dan - 16 Jan 2014

In regards to the app, is it just me who can't keep track of one specific vehicle or is it a universal problem? It always seems to disappear then re-appear about 10-15 seconds later.
If it is a universal problem, does anyone know why it's happening? I can't imagine there being any fault in picking up a signal from a bus at Central Station in Newcastle, but that one cut off a number of times while moving before cutting off completely about 15 minutes ago.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 9:05 pm)busman101 I agree on the interesting to see how things are doing - not very well when I had a look the other morning in the peak. There where some huge gaps in the 6 as well - unless some buses weren't showing. The app is brilliant, but you need to get the buses on time to get more folk to use them.

I believe there is some issues with some vehicles not showing up which are being worked on - indeed some Stockton vehicles are still running around with baseplates programmed for previous fleet numbers! We have a scrap MPD and one of our lovely Scanias still roaming the streets if you believed the ticket machines...
I've heard about loads of problems with the 6 though so I can't pretend there isn't any!

(16 Jan 2014, 9:12 pm)Dan In regards to the app, is it just me who can't keep track of one specific vehicle or is it a universal problem? It always seems to disappear then re-appear about 10-15 seconds later.
If it is a universal problem, does anyone know why it's happening? I can't imagine there being any fault in picking up a signal from a bus at Central Station in Newcastle, but that one cut off a number of times while moving before cutting off completely about 15 minutes ago.

As far as I can tell there shouldn't be any issues with vehicles disappearing other than when they change trips on the Wayfarer, but should appear again immediately once the new trip is set up. Also they won't show up when the machine is signed off (ie when running light or similar).

(16 Jan 2014, 9:05 pm)busman101 I agree on the interesting to see how things are doing - not very well when I had a look the other morning in the peak. There where some huge gaps in the 6 as well - unless some buses weren't showing. The app is brilliant, but you need to get the buses on time to get more folk to use them.

At least people waiting for the 6 know when their bus is likely to turn up when using the app, unlike people waiting for the 21 Wink

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - busman101 - 16 Jan 2014

(16 Jan 2014, 9:34 pm)Kuyoyo At least people waiting for the 6 know when their bus is likely to turn up when using the app, unlike people waiting for the 21 Wink

& if they don't use the app..............................

And good news for some residents in the Stockton area (myself included)

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/teesvalley/stockton/10943078.Arriva_drives_new_bus_service_in_Hartburn__Stockton__following_council_subsidy_cuts/?ref=rss

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 17 Jan 2014

Am I right in hearing that the Arriva real time app actually works on journey numbers and does not look at the full running boards. So if a service is operating late, lets say going into Newcastle as a X4, and the bus is leaving Newcastle as an X5, and the bus is running late, because the driver has not keyed in the journey details of the X5 trip, the real time system thinks it is on time?

If running boards are used, the system knows what journey the bus is going onto and in this case, lets people at the Haymarket know it is running late.

If this is the case, it does seem a bit short sighted.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - tyresmoke - 17 Jan 2014

(17 Jan 2014, 6:16 pm)citaro5284 Am I right in hearing that the Arriva real time app actually works on journey numbers and does not look at the full running boards. So if a service is operating late, lets say going into Newcastle as a X4, and the bus is leaving Newcastle as an X5, and the bus is running late, because the driver has not keyed in the journey details of the X5 trip, the real time system thinks it is on time?

If running boards are used, the system knows what journey the bus is going onto and in this case, lets people at the Haymarket know it is running late.

As far as I understand it does indeed work on journey numbers yeah

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - busman101 - 17 Jan 2014

(17 Jan 2014, 6:16 pm)citaro5284 Am I right in hearing that the Arriva real time app actually works on journey numbers and does not look at the full running boards. So if a service is operating late, lets say going into Newcastle as a X4, and the bus is leaving Newcastle as an X5, and the bus is running late, because the driver has not keyed in the journey details of the X5 trip, the real time system thinks it is on time?

What, a Blyth bus stay on the same running board all day - give ower man, that's why the branded buses are aal ower the place as they get chopped and changed all day

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Davey Bowyer - 17 Jan 2014

I think Arriva should implement the policy of exact fare only unless the fare or ticket is £5 or more between 7am and 9am; then between 3pm and 6pm. It would massively improve journey times and performance and certainly keep buses running to time.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - VolvoMarkII - 17 Jan 2014

Considering it doesn't feed ANY Local Authority real time systems yet, this isn't an issue.

However, I asked someone who would know and I am told that it reports via the app on journey number, but any real time system feed does work by board. So yes, once it feeds Nexus', County Durham or Connect Tees Valley real time system, it will be accurate, but in your hand, you can only see the actual journey currently in operation for now.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Adrian - 17 Jan 2014

It's still a lot better than anything else that's out there in the North East. Some operators don't even know where their buses are when they're asked where they are. I made good use of it today and only went out for my bus when I could see it was a couple of minutes away. Certainly saves standing in the cold.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Roland Pratt - 18 Jan 2014

(17 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm)Davey Bowyer I think Arriva should implement the policy of exact fare only unless the fare or ticket is £5 or more between 7am and 9am; then between 3pm and 6pm. It would massively improve journey times and performance and certainly keep buses running to time.

Totally disagree. Thought this sort of attitude towards customers went out soon after deregulation. It's one of the reasons Cleveland Transit lost so much custom to the likes of TMS, Delta, Robson etc.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - Andreos1 - 18 Jan 2014

Bit of promotion going on with Metro on their fb page at the moment.

Quote:Metro Radio

24 minutes ago

Arriva make’s bus travel easy with their new App! For your chance to win an amazing Apple prize package and to find out more information on How Arriva can get you from A to B. Click here: http://bit.ly/KCJGS8

The post on the fb page features the grammatical errors that appears in the quote above...

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - VolvoMarkII - 18 Jan 2014

(17 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm)Davey Bowyer I think Arriva should implement the policy of exact fare only unless the fare or ticket is £5 or more between 7am and 9am; then between 3pm and 6pm. It would massively improve journey times and performance and certainly keep buses running to time.

I agree that it would improve journey times and performance, as nobody would be using the Arriva services for that reason.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - cbma06 - 18 Jan 2014

regarding the Arriva Bus App live feed:

1, when the Arriva bus misses out an estate of where the bus goes, it still shows up on the App that the bus went through the estate even though the bus by passed the estate.

2, I was on board Arriva service 24 from Sunderland last week and the bus didn't even show up on the App and also leaving Sunderland the service 23 coming into sunderland wasn't shown on the live feed either.

RE: Arriva North East - Latest - citaro5284 - 18 Jan 2014

(18 Jan 2014, 2:53 pm)cbma06 regarding the Arriva Bus App live feed:

2, I was on board Arriva service 24 from Sunderland last week and the bus didn't even show up on the App and also leaving Sunderland the service 23 coming into sunderland wasn't shown on the live feed either.

I have heard that if the driver keys in the wrong journey number by accident, it does not show on the app, so this may be the cause.