North East Buses
Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: 2014/15 Financial Year Order Predictions (/showthread.php?tid=784)

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Scott - 11 Nov 2014

(10 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm)Dan No - they aren't. The Micro Hybrid recovers energy lost from braking to power the vehicle electrics and compressed air systems, saving up to 10% in fuel costs.

Actually the are. They use the flywheel to move away up to 20 mph before the engine takes over. Still a hybrid just with a different second power source.

The flywheel acts like a wind up toy, as the vehicle brakes the flywheel is spun to take in kinectic energy. When the vehicle then starts to move of, the energy in the flywheel is then released.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 11 Nov 2014

(11 Nov 2014, 3:55 pm)Scott True, but the could run a mixture of double and single deck vehicles, like they did with the Red Arrows. The double deckers on the Ten actually brought a reduced frequency between Hexham and Prudhoe, so it might be better for GNE to buy single deckers and bring in an increase in frequency at peak times - which would would be more convenient for passengers and add to growth.

Split allocations are avoided whenever possible - this is common with all bus operators, not just Go North East.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 11 Nov 2014

Another one manufacturer type (bodywork) that GNE could go with is Optare by using the Solo, Versa and Metrodecker. I'd still say that ADL would be the best offering with more powerful engines if needed available whilst more fuel efficient engines would also be available. An example would be this

- ADL E300 for Centrelink.
- Scania E300 for Lime due to the rural and hilly nature of the routes.
- ADL E400 for Crusader.
- Scania E400 for Toon Link and Pronto due to the hills and high speeds.

On another note about Deckers for the X1 and to utilise capacity, they could either reduce it to every 20 mimutes between Galleries and Easington Lane or, reduce the whole route to every 15 minutes and find alternative vehicles for NPower. If they did the latter, that would allow 6049 to join the TTX, another one to join the TEN, and another two for the Angel. Also, that might allow a B7 to Deptford to allow a PVR increase for the 56 to help reliability.

Re: RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Adrian - 12 Nov 2014

(11 Nov 2014, 5:14 pm)DaveyBowyer Another one manufacturer type (bodywork) that GNE could go with is Optare by using the Solo, Versa and Metrodecker. I'd still say that ADL would be the best offering with more powerful engines if needed available whilst more fuel efficient engines would also be available. An example would be this

- ADL E300 for Centrelink.
- Scania E300 for Lime due to the rural and hilly nature of the routes.
- ADL E400 for Crusader.
- Scania E400 for Toon Link and Pronto due to the hills and high speeds.

On another note about Deckers for the X1 and to utilise capacity, they could either reduce it to every 20 mimutes between Galleries and Easington Lane or, reduce the whole route to every 15 minutes and find alternative vehicles for NPower. If they did the latter, that would allow 6049 to join the TTX, another one to join the TEN, and another two for the Angel. Also, that might allow a B7 to Deptford to allow a PVR increase for the 56 to help reliability.
The route between the Galleries and Newcastle is hugely popular. Why would they reduce the daytime frequency?

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Tom - 13 Nov 2014

(12 Nov 2014, 10:40 pm)aureolin The route between the Galleries and Newcastle is hugely popular. Why would they reduce the daytime frequency?

I agree - sometimes a decker is full with no seats remaining, so it would be best to increase the frequency, never mind reduce it! 
Maybe a 7/8 minute service between Newcastle and the Galleries, with every alternate journey extending to Easington Lane. 

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - S813 FVK - 24 Nov 2014

Sam Ridley on fb:

good bye bendy and welcome the streetliles 8 for the x66 and 4 for the x40 so say the drivers

wtf. im guessing thats just been made up? Suppose it is the drivers we are on about here...

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 24 Nov 2014

(24 Nov 2014, 8:30 pm)Robert wtf. im guessing thats just been made up?

Yes, completely made up.

2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - R852 PRG - 24 Nov 2014

That Sam Ridley seems to think he knows everything! Seen his posts rimmed to the edges with steaming bull on the Facebook page before!

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Diamond One - 25 Nov 2014

(24 Nov 2014, 8:36 pm)MarcTheA4 That Sam Ridley seems to think he knows everything! Seen his posts rimmed to the edges with steaming bull on the Facebook page before!

He thinks he owns the bus stations obviously it's a load of bull he hangs around with the wrong people like Richard Tiplady and sam thinks he knows everything which he doesn't I mean I wouldn't predict what new orders are there to come I get my info from Dan from NEB Forum which am sure dan will agree is a popular and a number 1 site but I wouldn't believe a single word that idiot Sam Ridley says he thinks he is the head of all bus companies which is a load of crap the only thing he can manage is being the head of himself which he cannot manage even Nexus are after him I got this info from Jamie and also CS from GNE said that David Archbold wants sam banned from Gateshead reason why I don't go anymore is because it is pointless and I use Newcastle as a good replacement where all the buses terminate and am there tomorrow for my £1 meal and Thursday am in Sunderland to get 2 tasks before I head to newcastle so next time if Sam says something I wouldn't believe a single word he says its lies

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Multi21 - 25 Nov 2014

(25 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm)Racer_Experience He thinks he owns the bus stations obviously it's a load of bull he hangs around with the wrong people like Richard Tiplady and sam thinks he knows everything which he doesn't I mean I wouldn't predict what new orders are there to come I get my info from Dan from NEB Forum which am sure dan will agree is a popular and a number 1 site but I wouldn't believe a single word that idiot Sam Ridley says he thinks he is the head of all bus companies which is a load of crap the only thing he can manage is being the head of himself which he cannot manage even Nexus are after him I got this info from Jamie and also CS from GNE said that David Archbold wants sam banned from Gateshead reason why I don't go anymore is because it is pointless and I use Newcastle as a good replacement where all the buses terminate and am there tomorrow for my £1 meal and Thursday am in Sunderland to get 2 tasks before I head to newcastle so next time if Sam says something I wouldn't believe a single word he says its lies
Are you done...  Don't know any of the names you just mentioned and to be honest I wouldn't put this kind of thing on a public forum when names are mentioned. I'm sure a lot of people have things to say about you but keep them out of public view.  It's actually classed as a deformation of character I'd advise not doing it again! 

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Michael - 03 Dec 2014

(13 Nov 2014, 7:42 am)Tom I agree - sometimes a decker is full with no seats remaining, so it would be best to increase the frequency, never mind reduce it! 
Maybe a 7/8 minute service between Newcastle and the Galleries, with every alternate journey extending to Easington Lane. 

I know i'm going back a while, must of missed this post but i agree... i use the 4 and by the time the X1 leaves the gall's its packed, the que is normally massive.. although i know the 4 and X1 work together so they arrive at the same to give easy connections for Newcastle/Heworth, its not really working on a morning from what iv'e seen, they can be quite bad.

Tuesday morning is an example, the X1 arrived, quite a few people got on and off, then the wait for the 4 was at least 5 minutes after... then 2 came at once, with 1 X1... meaning people had to wait for the next X1 because it was packed.... 

Sometimes the X1 leaves the gall's packed towards Eastington lane... so u can't win! haha 

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - RCN 699 - 08 Dec 2014

As far as the bus predictions are concerned I would be horrified if GNE invested in lots of Streetlites. Surely they need to look at the new Enviro 200 mentioned in the latest Buses magazine. There are a lot more options and the 30/32 seater would be an ideal replacement for the East Durham services. They could even have some 36 seaters for the busier routes. Certainly this would be better than Streetlites or even Solos. The 11.7 metre would be an option for the Lime.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Michael - 08 Dec 2014

(08 Dec 2014, 9:17 pm)RCN 699 As far as the bus predictions are concerned I would be horrified if GNE invested in lots of Streetlites. Surely they need to look at the new Enviro 200 mentioned in the latest Buses magazine. There are a lot more options and the 30/32 seater would be an ideal replacement for the East Durham services. They could even have some 36 seaters for the busier routes. Certainly this would be better than Streetlites or even Solos. The 11.7 metre would be an option for the Lime.

I have a feeling they'll get more streelites but arent they only doing the micro hybrid version now?

Not sure they would ever get enviro's although the new one looks great.

Dont think east durham will be one of the brands to get new buses this time... nothing has being confirmed for orders yet... so it may happen! Smile

The lime will get new buses... not sure what though

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - RCN 699 - 08 Dec 2014

(08 Dec 2014, 9:39 pm)Michael I have a feeling they'll get more streelites but arent they only doing the micro hybrid version now?

Not sure they would ever get enviro's although the new one looks great.

Dont think east durham will be one of the brands to get new buses this time... nothing has being confirmed for orders yet... so it may happen! Smile

The lime will get new buses... not sure what though
Did not mean 2015 for East Durham. It is time GNE bit the bullet as far as ADL is concerned. The SPDs are long gone and Falkirk is still in the UK! The new E 200s look good and the Streetlite is an awful bus.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Michael - 08 Dec 2014

(08 Dec 2014, 9:47 pm)RCN 699 Did not mean 2015 for East Durham. It is time GNE bit the bullet as far as ADL is concerned. The SPDs are long gone and Falkirk is still in the UK! The new E 200s look good and the Streetlite is an awful bus.

No that's when i think they'll get new buses, i hope they do get new buses in this order.. but other services need new buses before the east durham.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - L469 YVK - 09 Dec 2014

I'd definitely say that GNE should go with ADL and leave Wrightbus. ADL offer a degree of flexibility in their bodywork either giving operators the choice of low power and fuel savings or a heavyweight chassis and engine for more power when required particularly where the Pronto is concerned.

It's a shame Wrightbus and Volvo has moved away from offering heavyweight chassis' and body combinations though because even though the likes of First and Arriva prefer lightweight vehicles across the board despite potential issues with reliability on some routes, the likes of GNE, EYMS, Transdev and other rural operators need power. Even Stagecoach have several Scania Euro 5 E400's on routes where the Cummins engines would struggle to cope.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 09 Dec 2014

I do think it's a shame that manufacturers are moving away from heavyweight vehicles which are more suited to long and demanding service work, but I can also understand that it's perhaps difficult for manufacturers to provide products for the minority. After all, the manufacturers have to make a sufficient amount of profit to make designing and making these buses viable!

More and more operators are looking for ways to invest into new vehicles whilst also cutting costs. In the past, operators have had the ability to make choices... One option operators have had is to invest in lightweight vehicles with good fuel economy as a method of cost-cutting. Another is to reduce the frequency of a service when investing in heavyweight vehicles, meaning fewer are required. Customers would perceive the investment into buses as a bad thing if operators always went with the latter option, which is why I think many operators have opted for the former option. As the majority of operators have done this, they're now very limited in
what they can do, as manufacturers are making buses to cater for the needs of the majority.

I'm guessing Go North East will be no different to the majority of other bus operators: fuel economy will be the deciding factor when deciding which manufacturer to go for.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Adrian - 09 Dec 2014

I guess the other option is to look at different technology. Stagecoach and Arriva having both turned to GAS buses, with the former looking likely (in my opinion) to make Sunderland 100% GAS over the next few years.

I wonder what the actual cost saving is between GAS and a conventional diesel bus. Perhaps it's enough for it to benefit GNE with some of their local work, e.g. Gateshead's Orbit and Loop routes. Maybe even the Quaylink too?

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Dan - 09 Dec 2014

(09 Dec 2014, 5:35 pm)aureolin I guess the other option is to look at different technology. Stagecoach and Arriva having both turned to GAS buses, with the former looking likely (in my opinion) to make Sunderland 100% GAS over the next few years.

I wonder what the actual cost saving is between GAS and a conventional diesel bus. Perhaps it's enough for it to benefit GNE with some of their local work, e.g. Gateshead's Orbit and Loop routes. Maybe even the Quaylink too?

I have no doubt that Go North East would invest into environmentally-friendly buses (such as gas buses) if there was another round of the Green Bus Fund.

Whilst Stagecoach may be more likely to invest into gas buses by themselves due to the association with ADL they have, I don't think Arriva or Go North East would. The upfront cost would be hard to justify the capital expenditure for, when buying for local work such as the Orbit and Loop.

RE: 2014 GNE Bus Order Predictions - Adrian - 09 Dec 2014

(09 Dec 2014, 5:39 pm)Dan I have no doubt that Go North East would invest into environmentally-friendly buses (such as gas buses) if there was another round of the Green Bus Fund.

Whilst Stagecoach may be more likely to invest into gas buses by themselves due to the association with ADL they have, I don't think Arriva or Go North East would. The upfront cost would be hard to justify the capital expenditure for, when buying for local work such as the Orbit and Loop.

I think it's a shame that it takes the GBF to make such purchases affordable. Perhaps it's a failing in Government policy that manufacturers aren't given incentive to keep the retail cost to the price of a conventional bus. Same goes for green cars. The environmental benefits alone would be massive, and it was quoted in 2010 that this Government would be the greenest ever after all.