North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MurdnunoC - 02 Jul 2014

(02 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm)aureolin Nah. £6.90 as I needed a Day Rover. Something that it actually couldn't hurt GNE having a proper look at and reviewing.

I'd say it would make more sense bringing Seaham, Murton and Hetton Le Hole into the Green Zone. Making Houghton le Spring a crossover zone between Red/Green. The remaining Red, Purple and Blue should then be looked at, as for multiple zones, it makes no sense buying a two zone BuzzFare within Tyne and Wear. For 70p more you can buy a Day Rover and use the Metro, and other operators buses.

Or a three-zone buzzfare which encompasses Tyne & Wear in its entirety.

Although I doubt a Red, Blue & Purple Buzzfare is a very popular customer choice, however anyone who needs to make journeys in these three zones can purchase a day-rover for 80p less.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Adrian - 02 Jul 2014

(02 Jul 2014, 8:25 pm)Tom It's £64.80 if your travelling between those two places using Buzzfare, as Gateshead and Regent Centre are both in the Blue Zone? As is Cobalt.

Believe Gateshead is just Gateshead Interchange though. Rather than Gateshead as a town. Looking at the 58 map for example, it shows the Interchange in the crossover zone, but Jackson Street is purple only.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Tom - 02 Jul 2014

(02 Jul 2014, 8:28 pm)aureolin Believe Gateshead is just Gateshead Interchange though. Rather than Gateshead as a town. Looking at the 58 map for example, it shows the Interchange in the crossover zone, but Jackson Street is purple only.

Ah right, not very good then! - I see your point now.
They like to rip people off to be fair - it's only £4.20 a day with Arriva! (X2 then X9), or £60.30 a month which is valid in Birtley and Barley Mow too.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 02 Jul 2014

You think the Zonal System for Go North East is Bad, I would argue that the Network One Zonal System is Equally if not worse than GNE's. Either way both need a Serious Looking at, End Result being one set Zonal System for all Modes of Transport in Tyne and Wear.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 02 Jul 2014

(02 Jul 2014, 8:33 pm)NEBCD Malarkey You think the Zonal System for Go North East is Bad, I would argue that the Network One Zonal System is Equally if not worse than GNE's. Either way both need a Serious Looking at, End Result being one set Zonal System for all Modes of Transport in Tyne and Wear.

QCS would do that Wink

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 02 Jul 2014

(02 Jul 2014, 8:40 pm)Andreos Constantopolous QCS would do that Wink

And when will QCS be Implemented for this change to happen.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 02 Jul 2014

(02 Jul 2014, 8:50 pm)NEBCD Malarkey And when will QCS be Implemented for this change to happen.

Sooner rather than later hopefully!
The operators have had more than enough time to come up with something, so another few years should be enough to bare until QCS comes in.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Brandon Stone - 03 Jul 2014

With the 9 being secured an'all between Jarrow and North Shields, I think we'd be more likely to see this fella flying over the Tyne before an operator takes the commercial risk with a cross-Tyne service of their own!

.gif
flyingpig.gif
Size: 22.52 KB / Downloads: 128

But still, I'd rather like to see cross-Tyne links improved, particularly to & from Wallsend where the Town Centre is undergoing significant re-development with further phases planned for The Forum. Travelling between Wallsend and Sunderland by bus takes an awful lot longer than I feel it should do.

Should GNE lose the scholar contracts that the short 9's interwork with, I'd like to see these journeys extend through the Tyne Tunnel to Percy Main (connecting with R19 to Cobalt), Wallsend, Coast Road & Newcastle Haymarket. I would much prefer the four buses per hour retained between Sunderland and Jarrow, rather than every 20 minutes throughout to North Shields as once proposed prior to the X3 being retained at that time instead.

Admittedly, the cross-Tyne service wouldn't be used end-to-end (X36/56 offering quicker journeys), but it does open up a number of valuable new links.

- New link from Jarrow, Howdon & Wallsend to the Haymarket area of Newcastle for improved access to the Universities.

- Faster journey times from Sunderland and South Tyneside to Cobalt via connection at Percy Main.

- Direct service from Hedworth, York Avenue and Bede Burn Road to Newcastle without changing buses at Jarrow on to the longer Crusader 27, (not seen since the 87).

- Restored service from Wallsend, Howdon and Percy Main to Jarrow, South Tyneside and Sunderland.

From the information I have at hand, the only other previous incarnation to Newcastle from Station Road in Wallsend between The Forum and the Coast Road was the old 307; but maybe this wasn't an attractive option for passengers who had to endure the loop around Hadrian Lodge first.

To partially offset the PVR increase, the 40/41 would reduce from every 10 minutes to the Saturday daytime frequency instead. However, there would continue to be six buses per hour along Station Road between the Coast Road and The Forum.

The times of the existing 9 to North Shields would need to be adjusted to make the best use of the R19 connection at Percy Main. Like I said though, can't ever see a commercial service through the Tunnel any time soon, just something I'd love to see anyway! Wink

.pdf
25 26 Tyne Tunnel.pdf
Size: 266.01 KB / Downloads: 58

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - V514DFT - 03 Jul 2014

I mentioned something similar to what youve suggested,its a shame the 319 got scrapped but was then turned into the old 9 that went from wallsend if im right,but then hot split into the 59,phoenix then retrialed the 319 from percy main but didnt work out,then it was made into the current 9,so i totally agree with you,the 307 has be resurected many times but doesnt really work out,im surprised its lasted this long

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Adrian - 03 Jul 2014

Used the X1 and the 4 a couple of times today. It's notable that the 4 is a completely different service between the Galleries and Heworth, as it is from the Galleries to Houghton. I done the Galleries to Houghton stretch twice, and there was never an instance where passenger numbers went in to double figures. In contrast, both trips to Heworth the other day, and there was standing room only. It's the same story with the X1, although it does get into double figures from the Galleries to Easington Lane stretch. Between Newcastle and the Galleries there's barely a seat in sight.

I'd suggest that the Newcastle to Galleries section of the X1 needs to have an increased frequency, but the issue at present is that it would require more buses. My suggestion would be to do something like the following:

X1 - Current route - remains unchanged. To operate every 20 minutes during the day between Easington Lane and Newcastle.

X2 - Washington Galleries - Springwell - Wrekenton - QE Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle (Limited Stop). To operate every 7 minutes during the day.

The current X1 at the 10 minute frequency takes just over an hour end to end. Newcastle to Washington Galleries takes around 30. I reckon by making these changes, it'd provide a better frequency where required, and also have a financial benefit by fact the PVR can be decreased.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 03 Jul 2014

(03 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm)aureolin Used the X1 and the 4 a couple of times today. It's notable that the 4 is a completely different service between the Galleries and Heworth, as it is from the Galleries to Houghton. I done the Galleries to Houghton stretch twice, and there was never an instance where passenger numbers went in to double figures. In contrast, both trips to Heworth the other day, and there was standing room only. It's the same story with the X1, although it does get into double figures from the Galleries to Easington Lane stretch. Between Newcastle and the Galleries there's barely a seat in sight.

I'd suggest that the Newcastle to Galleries section of the X1 needs to have an increased frequency, but the issue at present is that it would require more buses. My suggestion would be to do something like the following:

X1 - Current route - remains unchanged. To operate every 20 minutes during the day between Easington Lane and Newcastle.

X2 - Washington Galleries - Springwell - Wrekenton - QE Hospital - Gateshead - Newcastle (Limited Stop). To operate every 7 minutes during the day.

The current X1 at the 10 minute frequency takes just over an hour end to end. Newcastle to Washington Galleries takes around 30. I reckon by making these changes, it'd provide a better frequency where required, and also have a financial benefit by fact the PVR can be decreased.

The 4 can (and does) get packed at times on the southern section.
Like other services, I feel it will be dependent on the time of day.

The southern section also has the 2a/2c and 8 in part which can dilute numbers between the services.

The northern section seems to vary too, with a lot of passengers travelling on the parts between Galleries & Concord (guessing they use the 4 over a W or M service or an infrequent 50) and Concord & Heworth (quickest route again?).
Maybe there is the need for a peak time dupe or short run between certain points?

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Tom - 03 Jul 2014

Yeah - I've used the 4 from Heworth to Houghton a couple of times, there is usually a big number of passengers using it from Heworth to Washington, and often a decent load to where the Arts Centre is, but there was only about seven or eight people up to Fence Houses where a few boarded. My suggestion would be to have the service running every 7/8 minutes between Heworth and Washington Arts Centre, with the service extending to Houghton every 15 minutes. Another good effect this would have is increased passenger numbers on the 71 from Houghton to Fence Houses as the passengers on the 71 aren't the best as the 4 generally gets the majority of them.

As for the X1, I've noticed most people make the journey from Newcastle straight to Washington (for connections more than likely), and not many people board at other parts of the route. Therefore, I would have the service running every 20 minutes between Easington Lane and Newcastle in it's current form, then a new X6 service operating between Newcastle and Washington direct every 30 minutes, with one extending to Teal Farm, Waterview Park, Seaham, Murton, South Hetton and Peterlee, replacing the 202 which was talked about not long ago.

Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 03 Jul 2014

(03 Jul 2014, 7:31 pm)Tom Yeah - I've used the 4 from Heworth to Houghton a couple of times, there is usually a big number of passengers using it from Heworth to Washington, and often a decent load to where the Arts Centre is, but there was only about seven or eight people up to Fence Houses where a few boarded. My suggestion would be to have the service running every 7/8 minutes between Heworth and Washington Arts Centre, with the service extending to Houghton every 15 minutes. Another good effect this would have is increased passenger numbers on the 71 from Houghton to Fence Houses as the passengers on the 71 aren't the best as the 4 generally gets the majority of them.

As for the X1, I've noticed most people make the journey from Newcastle straight to Washington (for connections more than likely), and not many people board at other parts of the route. Therefore, I would have the service running every 20 minutes between Easington Lane and Newcastle in it's current form, then a new X6 service operating between Newcastle and Washington direct every 30 minutes, with one extending to Teal Farm, Waterview Park, Seaham, Murton, South Hetton and Peterlee, replacing the 202 which was talked about not long ago.

I personally think the 202 in it's current form should be binned and modify it to goto Murton-Peterlee via Dalton Park, Hawthorn and Easington Village. To deal with the loss to South Hetton, extend a 61 an hour to South Hetton, infact I would like to see GNE modify the 61 and introduce a 61A

61:-
Normal Route

61A:-
When it gets to Murton to go Woods Terrace, Pit Road, Cornwall Estate, Burnip Road, Wellfield Road, Murton Station with 1ph extending to South Hetton...which would probably only add about 15 Minutes to the current timetable I reckon.

Re:- X1 would it not work by splitting the route at Hetton and send one onto Murton or DP and have the frequency every 30 from E.Lane, 1ph from Murton and every 20 mins from Hetton...

My mind is fried right so will have a proper think about it when I can be arsed [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - busman101 - 03 Jul 2014

(02 Jul 2014, 8:26 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Well the service would be along Lobley Hill Road, stopping at the junction with Victoria Road...
Perfect eh?

I expected nothing less from you !

Can't see you being happy with this talk of dropping the frequency of the 4 on the FPF territory either & neither am I !!!

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 03 Jul 2014

(03 Jul 2014, 8:27 pm)busman101 I expected nothing less from you !

Can't see you being happy with this talk of dropping the frequency of the 4 on the FPF territory either & neither am I !!!

Whey aye, could even have it loop around Victoria Road to make it even handier.

Nah, the FPF won't be too impressed - however if a reduction in the 4 was made up by the introduction of a direct service to Newcastle, then that could form a happy medium.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Malarkey - 04 Jul 2014

4 - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Fatfield - Shiney Row - Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring

4A - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Shiney Row - Houghton le Spring - Hetton le Hole - Easington Lane

X1 - Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle

X2 - Houghton le Spring - Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Concord - Heworth - Gateshead - Newcastle

All will operate Every 20 Minutes/Every 10 Minutes Combined Monday to Saturday Daytimes and Hourly on Sundays.

71/71A - Newcastle Pilgrim Street (71)/MetroCentre (71A) - Gateshead (71) - Team Valley - Birtley - Chester le Street - Great Lumley - Fence Houses - Houghton le Spring - Seaham - Dalton Park - Peterlee
Hourly/Every 30 Minutes Combined Mon to Saturday

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - R852 PRG - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 5:28 pm)NEBCD Malarkey 4 - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Glebe - Fatfield - Shiney Row - Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring

4A - Heworth - Usworth - Concord - Washington Galleries - Shiney Row - Houghton le Spring - Hetton le Hole - Easington Lane

X1 - Easington Lane - Hetton-le-Hole - Houghton-le-Spring - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Springwell Village - Wrekenton - Gateshead - Newcastle

X2 - Houghton le Spring - Fence Houses - Shiney Row - Washington Galleries - Concord - Heworth - Gateshead - Newcastle

All will operate Every 20 Minutes/Every 10 Minutes Combined Monday to Saturday Daytimes and Hourly on Sundays.

71/71A - Newcastle Pilgrim Street (71)/MetroCentre (71A) - Gateshead (71) - Team Valley - Birtley - Chester le Street - Great Lumley - Fence Houses - Houghton le Spring - Seaham - Dalton Park - Peterlee
Hourly/Every 30 Minutes Combined Mon to Saturday

That looks great - but having that revised 71 stop at the Metrocentre and carry on to towards Lumley would seem a bit like the old X22.

P.S. - Fencehouses is all one word Tongue

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Tom - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm)Marcus That looks great - but having that revised 71 stop at the Metrocentre and carry on to towards Lumley would seem a bit like the old X22.

P.S. - Fencehouses is all one word Tongue

You can spell it both ways.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - R852 PRG - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 5:47 pm)Tom You can spell it both ways.

Really? I've seen it on postal addresses, timetables, pretty much everything spelt as Fencehouses.

You learn something new everyday! Tongue

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Tom - 04 Jul 2014

(04 Jul 2014, 5:51 pm)Marcus Really? I've seen it on postal addresses, timetables, pretty much everything spelt as Fencehouses.

You learn something new everyday! Tongue

Go North East spell it as ''Fence Houses''?