North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Kuyoyo - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 8:31 pm)aureolin I'm not sure I quite understand the intended route, or if it's a Sunday/bank holiday only service? Agree with what you say about the 265 though. Boro-Durham is pretty well covered with the X1 too, although could do with a doubling in frequency for the X1 segment Mon-Fri daytime.

I'd love to see GNE go head to head with Arriva on the X1 route, but think the logistics of it would present a problem. Having the furthest (main) depot south as Chester le Street, to me, was always a sign of intent when it came to areas they were interested in serving.

BIB: One problem that GNE would have is simply - Arriva have the contract with Durham University, so any attempt against the X1 by GNE would probably fall flat on its face for now.

Unfortunately, unless the University could increase their funding for the service somewhat (which is what allowed the increase of the service to every 30 minutes during the day back in 2005, and as well the introduction of evening and Sunday services at the same time), I can't see Arriva introducing additional daytime X1s apart from the upcoming weekday peak journeys that Stockton are working using the vehicle that presently spends its day running 13 trips from Stockton to Hartburn.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Jimmi - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 8:56 pm)Kuyoyo BIB: One problem that GNE would have is simply - Arriva have the contract with Durham University, so any attempt against the X1 by GNE would probably fall flat on its face for now.

Unfortunately, unless the University could increase their funding for the service somewhat (which is what allowed the increase of the service to every 30 minutes during the day back in 2005, and as well the introduction of evening and Sunday services at the same time), I can't see Arriva introducing additional daytime X1s apart from the upcoming weekday peak journeys that Stockton are working using the vehicle that presently spends its day running 13 trips from Stockton to Hartburn.

Please tell me that MPDs are not working them peak time runs!

There's also slight timing changes to the X1/X2 from the same date.

The most I've seen on the new 6 is 3 passengers and often has either 1 or no passengers every other time I've seen it.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - col87 - 09 Aug 2014

There would be no harm in GNE trying though. Am sure people will go to Dalton Park from Teesside dont forgot you will have people with Explorer tickets who may decide to have look round. Perheaps have a Teeside - Dalton Park return and the service will be limited stop so will be quicker than the X1 which might bring some of the X1 passengers over

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Adrian - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 8:56 pm)Kuyoyo BIB: One problem that GNE would have is simply - Arriva have the contract with Durham University, so any attempt against the X1 by GNE would probably fall flat on its face for now.

I don't think it necessarily would. Whilst I note there is a good percentage use the service with the Durham uni passes, there's still a lot of cash fares or ANE ticket holders. I tend to use it daily nowadays, and it's still getting good loads despite being in the middle of the summer break.

I think that GNE are innovative enough to actually come up with a decent competition to it, and the scheme they have set up with New College could potentially help with that. Like I noted earlier though, it's probably the logistics that present the problem here.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Kuyoyo - 09 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 9:04 pm)Jimmi Please tell me that MPDs are not working them peak time runs!

There's also slight timing changes to the X1/X2 from the same date.

The most I've seen on the new 6 is 3 passengers and often has either 1 or no passengers every other time I've seen it.

No, Pulsar operated. Was going to be OmniCity worked (working onto/off 21As) but that got dropped when they decided to leave the culling of a few lightly-used journeys until the next Peterlee area review.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - col87 - 09 Aug 2014

Well GNE need to do something for the Teesside area or else they need to change there name since Teesside is also a big part of the north east. The X11 as well as other suggustions i have put could all work if they wanted to try.

Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - MrFozz - 10 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm)col87 Well GNE need to do something for the Teesside area or else they need to change there name since Teesside is also a big part of the north east. The X11 as well as other suggustions i have put could all work if they wanted to try.

Rhey have been Go North for years without going doing big business in Teesside, and if that was the case they should be running deep into Northumberland North of Newcastle...Before that they were Go-Ahead Northern and before that Northern and Teesside, as far as I am aware did not do big business south of Peterlee...It would be nice to see competition in those areas but if GNE have no guts for it, then it won't happen, look at the Wear Valley and how Arriva spanked them like bitches when they introduced OK1

Go North East Service Suggestions - S813 FVK - 10 Aug 2014

(09 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm)col87 Well GNE need to do something for the Teesside area or else they need to change there name since Teesside is also a big part of the north east. The X11 as well as other suggustions i have put could all work if they wanted to try.

Not really, although the suggestions could work from a service point of view, I doubt that they will work from a passenger view. How many people would want to travel between the places stated? Not many will probably be the answer.
With the name change, there isn't any need for it. Just because they don't serve all areas in the North East doesn't say they should change their name at all! Also, as has been stated they have done something in Teeside...X7/X9/X10...

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - L469 YVK - 10 Aug 2014

It would be good if GNE extended the short Coasters to Blyth every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime. It would provide new local links and give 6 buses per hour from Go North East on the Whitley Bay to Blyth corridor.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Tom - 10 Aug 2014

(10 Aug 2014, 10:56 am)DaveyBowyer It would be good if GNE extended the short Coasters to Blyth every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime. It would provide new local links and give 6 buses per hour from Go North East on the Whitley Bay to Blyth corridor.

Yes I agree.

Go North East Service Suggestions - R852 PRG - 10 Aug 2014

My local knowledge skills inform me that Teesside is in the North East? I don't see how changing the name to serve an area which it will barely serve with the amount of opportunities there will possibly work.

Also, it's worth pointing out - I think it's already been established that GNE could easily expand to Teesside, only to be 'spanked' (as Fozz nicely put it) back up by SNE and ANE.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Michael - 10 Aug 2014

Remember when GNE went against Stagecoach in North Sunderland...
That didn't work out well at all..

Why?

Stagecoach already had the 3,4,13 and 16 every 10 mins to North Sunderland....

36 started at every 10 mins
Dropped to every 12
Withdrawn and replaced by the 36/36A - half hourly?
they were then withdrawn and replaced by the X36

Have to say Stagecoach owned them in that area...

Why would GNE risk making loads of new routes in area's which are heavily used by Stagecoach/Arriva, especially with services being every 10 mins

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Adrian - 10 Aug 2014

(10 Aug 2014, 12:03 pm)Michael Remember when GNE went against Stagecoach in North Sunderland...
That didn't work out well at all..

Why?

Stagecoach already had the 3,4,13 and 16 every 10 mins to North Sunderland....

36 started at every 10 mins
Dropped to every 12
Withdrawn and replaced by the 36/36A - half hourly?
they were then withdrawn and replaced by the X36

Have to say Stagecoach owned them in that area...

Why would GNE risk making loads of new routes in area's which are heavily used by Stagecoach/Arriva, especially with services being every 10 mins

I think you've got to pick and choose your fights. In the case of the 36, it was the wrong fight to choose. X84/X85 and the X7 on the other hand were two correct fights to pick, and they've arguably won as a result of taking that initial risk.

A lot is said about the OK1. A lot of it, in my opinion, was the fact it provided next to no connections either side. Despite GNE's network largely being based on a 'hub and spoke' model. Why would folk change from using Arriva's X1, when they probably need to complete their journey by making a connection on to an Arriva service at either end of the route. Perhaps Arriva's X2/X24 suffers the same fate in Tyne and Wear? There are no connections for the X2 north of Pity Me, so unless you live along the route, you're on a hiding to nothing.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - L469 YVK - 10 Aug 2014

(10 Aug 2014, 10:59 am)Tom Yes I agree.

And not for all journeys but a few (every 30 mins), if the Coaster sits 7 mins behind the 309 like this:

Blyth inbound: 309 (59), 1 (06), 309 (29), 1 (36)
Blyth outbound: 309 (04), 1 (11), 309 (34), 1 (41)

Lets say the 309 at those times breaksdown in Blyth or Seaton Sluice with PM being a good while away, GNE could send a replacement bus to Whitley Bay, the Coaster picks up passengers in Blyth and takes them to Whitley Bay.

The worst case scenario being that the 309 replacement departs 7 minutes late, it gets to Battle Hill 1 minute behind the 310 and when it gets to Station Road, all the passengers can be transferred to the 310 and the 309 can run light to Newcastle from there and pick up the 310 on time.

(10 Aug 2014, 12:37 pm)aureolin I think you've got to pick and choose your fights. In the case of the 36, it was the wrong fight to choose. X84/X85 and the X7 on the other hand were two correct fights to pick, and they've arguably won as a result of taking that initial risk.

A lot is said about the OK1. A lot of it, in my opinion, was the fact it provided next to no connections either side. Despite GNE's network largely being based on a 'hub and spoke' model. Why would folk change from using Arriva's X1, when they probably need to complete their journey by making a connection on to an Arriva service at either end of the route. Perhaps Arriva's X2/X24 suffers the same fate in Tyne and Wear? There are no connections for the X2 north of Pity Me, so unless you live along the route, you're on a hiding to nothing.

very much but do u not think they knew that before they even launched it?

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 10 Aug 2014

(10 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm)Michael very much but do u not think they knew that before they even launched it?

I don't think they'd have launched the 36 if they they knew they were going to be fighting a losing battle.

I really think they originally thought they stood quite a high chance of doing well, what with new buses being purchased and "lowest fare guarantees" being promoted. To my memory, it did on the first day or week when everyone could get on for free...

(10 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm)Michael very much but do u not think they knew that before they even launched it?

Nah. I remember at the time there was a huge sense of arrogance around it. Along the lines of going in and under cutting Stagecoach would mean passengers would flock to the 36.

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions - Dan - 10 Aug 2014

(10 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm)aureolin Nah. I remember at the time there was a huge sense of arrogance around it. Along the lines of going in and under cutting Stagecoach would mean passengers would flock to the 36.

I seem to recall there being a promotional event of sorts at Stagecoach's depot at the Wheatsheaf?

(10 Aug 2014, 1:52 pm)Dan I seem to recall there being a promotional event of sorts at Stagecoach's depot at the Wheatsheaf?

That was just plain ridiculous, they would of being better off in park lane, only people who hang around there are the piss heads from the pub

(10 Aug 2014, 1:52 pm)Dan I seem to recall there being a promotional event of sorts at Stagecoach's depot at the Wheatsheaf?

Yeah that's what I mean. Picture of the ex-MD dishing out timetables outside of the front doors of Stagecoach. I honestly don't know what they were thinking of then.