North East Buses
Go North East: Service Suggestions - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Go North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Go North East: Service Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=75)

Go North East: Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 31 Dec 2014

(30 Dec 2014, 10:10 pm)Jimmi Just thought I'd draw up an hourly frequency for this X6 suggestion.

Darlington, Tubwell Row - 33
Darlington College - 37
Haughton Green, The Gray Horse - 41
Great Burdon - 44
Stockton High Street South - 59
Stockton High Street North - 01
Norton, Red Lion - 07
Peterlee, Moorcock - 26
Peterlee Bus Station arr - 30
Peterlee Bus Station dep - 33
Essington Way, Crawford Av - 36
Ryhope, Green - 50
Sunderland, Park Lane - 59

Sunderland Park Lane - 04
Ryhope, Green - 13
Essington Way, Crawford Av - 27
Peterlee, Moorcock - 38
Norton, Red Lion - 57
Stockton High Street North - 03
Stockton Yarm Lane - 05
Great Burdon - 19
Haughton Road, The Gray Horse - 22
Darlington College - 26
Darlington, Tubwell Row - 30

Something like this will probably never happen.

You should sent this suggestion into GNE by email. And get them to ponder over it

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Jimmi - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 1:34 pm)cbma06 You should sent this suggestion into GNE by email. And get them to ponder over it

Could do, although I doubt it would happen especially after the failure of the OK1.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Michael - 31 Dec 2014

(30 Dec 2014, 10:10 pm)Jimmi Just thought I'd draw up an hourly frequency for this X6 suggestion.

Darlington, Tubwell Row - 33
Darlington College - 37
Haughton Green, The Gray Horse - 41
Great Burdon - 44
Stockton High Street South - 59
Stockton High Street North - 01
Norton, Red Lion - 07
Peterlee, Moorcock - 26
Essington Way, Crawford Av - 36
Ryhope, Green - 50
Sunderland, Park Lane - 59

Sunderland Park Lane - 04
Ryhope, Green - 13
Essington Way, Crawford Av - 27
Peterlee, Moorcock - 38
Norton, Red Lion - 57
Stockton High Street North - 03
Stockton Yarm Lane - 05
Great Burdon - 19
Haughton Road, The Gray Horse - 22
Darlington College - 26
Darlington, Tubwell Row - 30

Something like this will probably never happen.

You never know, who would of thought GNE would ever do the new 36 route?, Town End Farm to Chester-le-street. 

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Drifter60 - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 1:39 pm)Michael You never know, who would of thought GNE would ever do the new 36 route?, Town End Farm to Chester-le-street. 

The 36 isn't new though it's just an amalgamation of current routes (71/35/29). 
The X6 suggestion is a totally new route, albeit a frequency increase on X7 Peterlee-Sunderland, Peterlee-Stockton is evening X10 route so technically that's new route for daytime and Stockton-Darlington is a new section. 
I do like the suggestion however. 

(31 Dec 2014, 2:23 pm)Drifter60 The 36 isn't new though it's just an amalgamation of current routes (71/35/29). 
The X6 suggestion is a totally new route, albeit a frequency increase on X7 Peterlee-Sunderland, Peterlee-Stockton is evening X10 route so technically that's new route for daytime and Stockton-Darlington is a new section. 
I do like the suggestion however. 

I know but i wouldn't of thought we would see such a route come in to service. 

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - L469 YVK - 31 Dec 2014

With the 56 and 27 being reduced to 12 minute frequencies, would it not be a good idea to reduce the frequency of the 21 to every 10 minutes but throughout the whole route between Durham and Newcastle with a PVR of 15? Evening and Sunday frequencies would remain unchanged.

(31 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm)DaveyBowyer With the 56 and 27 being reduced to 12 minute frequencies, would it not be a good idea to reduce the frequency of the 21 to every 10 minutes  but throughout the whole route between Durham and Newcastle with a PVR of 15? Evening and Sunday frequencies would remain unchanged.

I agree, the Angel is terrible for reliability. 

Go North East: Service Suggestions - S813 FVK - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 2:32 pm)Michael I know but i wouldn't of thought we would see such a route come in to service.

I see the point you are getting at. Originally the 71 was cut short at Houghton-le-Spring which is basically saying that 3 services between Sunderland and Houghton was too many because not many people were using service 71 between those 2 points. However now by rerouting it to the same route as the Laser, people will actually start to use it. Just shows what an established route can do to services.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Dan - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm)DaveyBowyer With the 56 and 27 being reduced to 12 minute frequencies, would it not be a good idea to reduce the frequency of the 21 to every 10 minutes  but throughout the whole route between Durham and Newcastle with a PVR of 15? Evening and Sunday frequencies would remain unchanged.

I would also like to see this happen.

With increased layover - every 10 minutes to Chester-le-Street, every 20 to Durham. Hopefully get one (or both) of the branded Volvo B7s to become spares again, making gtom happy as fewer Presidents and Lolynes would appear!

(31 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm)DaveyBowyer With the 56 and 27 being reduced to 12 minute frequencies, would it not be a good idea to reduce the frequency of the 21 to every 10 minutes but throughout the whole route between Durham and Newcastle with a PVR of 15? Evening and Sunday frequencies would remain unchanged.

The 21 used to run every 10 minutes and the reliability was poor with it often running in twos across the whole route and they had to rectify the problem by adding extra buses to the PVR and increasing the layover time in Durham and Newcastle but there was still problems then it was changed to run every 7/8 minutes between Newcastle and Chester with the service continuing to Durham every 15 minutes and this has helped with reliability, it's not perfect but still better than it was.

(31 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm)Dan I would also like to see this happen.

With increased layover - every 10 minutes to Chester-le-Street, every 20 to Durham. Hopefully get one (or both) of the branded Volvo B7s to become spares again, making gtom happy as fewer Presidents and Lolynes would appear!

Dropping the frequency from Durham end of the route may lose passengers.

Although I think dropping the 21 to every 20 minutes between Durham and Chester would be a good idea if the X21 was increased to every 20 minutes which would mean a bus between Durham and Chester and on to Newcastle combined every 10 minutes.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 31 Dec 2014

Keep the frequency as it is, but:

21 - Pilgrim Street to Durham. Quick in/out over Tyne Bridge.
22 - Eldon Square to Chester.
X21 - Eldon Square to Bishop.

(31 Dec 2014, 3:04 pm)Jimmi The 21 used to run every 10 minutes and the reliability was poor with it often running in twos across the whole route and they had to rectify the problem by adding extra buses to the PVR and increasing the layover time in Durham and Newcastle but there was still problems then it was changed to run every 7/8 minutes between Newcastle and Chester with the service continuing to Durham every 15 minutes and this has helped with reliability, it's not perfect but still better than it was.

I've just tried to come up with a timetable for the service running every 20 minutes to Durham with no luck whatsoever.

The current timetable allows for the following layover periods:
  • 12 minutes in Durham
  • 7 minutes in Newcastle
  • 13 minutes in Chester-le-Street
The only 'relief' time is 3 minutes (in Chester-le-Street) for the journeys to and from Durham, but adding more to that and taking it away from the layover wouldn't really help anything as it'd just increase journey times and allow for less layover.

The long layover periods are the reason why we often see two buses at a terminus. In theory, it should be a walk-on service in Newcastle, and I've experienced this myself and assumed the previous one would have been a few minutes late without looking at the timetable. Problems mid-route are simply down to the way such frequent services end up working, as the smallest of problems can make that bus drop a few minutes and it's an ongoing cycle whereby the bus ends up bunching up to the one behind.

(31 Dec 2014, 3:14 pm)Andreos1 Keep the frequency as it is, but:

21 - Pilgrim Street to Durham. Quick in/out over Tyne Bridge.
22 - Eldon Square to Chester.
X21 - Eldon Square to Bishop.

Problem with that is you have two services to Durham leaving from two different places, and are both a bit of a walk from each other and one is not exactly a pleasant looking area and people would not know where to go. Also having the X21 leave Eldon Square towards Durham but not the 21 could mean more people would turn to the X2.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - Andreos1 - 31 Dec 2014

I thought about that Jimmi - the quick in/out from Pilgrim St, should assist with reliability and time keeping.
It is near Eldon Square, Grey St, Northumberland St and saves people in those areas, walking up to Eldon Square.

Passengers from Eldon Square to Durham, aren't going to be big numbers, but have the quicker X21 - over the X2 (I imagine those travelling to/from Durham aren't loyal to a particular service, unless they hold a pass).
The 22, would offer the slower service - with layover time at Chester, to assist with reliability or time lost en route.

(31 Dec 2014, 3:46 pm)Jimmi Problem with that is you have two services to Durham leaving from two different places, and are both a bit of a walk from each other and one is not exactly a pleasant looking area and people would not know where to go. Also having the X21 leave Eldon Square towards Durham but not the 21 could mean more people would turn to the X2.

As far as I am aware, the Angel carries far more passengers than any other service in the North East. It is for this reason why I think Go North East is reluctant to make any changes to service 21, in case of any loss of patronage to competitors as a result of a possible bad decision.

Arriva is currently refurbishing buses to "MAX" specification, featuring the provision of free Wi-Fi and e-leather seats, for allocation to services X1/X2 (the latter of which, as you know, competes with Go North East's 21/X21 services). Arriva will quite rightly expect market growth from this upgrade in specification, and there is a pretty limited scope from which the market growth can come from... Go North East management isn't stupid, and will appreciate that there's a possibility for loss of custom, so I think they'll know that they can't sit back for much longer.

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - cbma06 - 31 Dec 2014

I would of liked to see GNE renumbered service 99 into a service 34. So silksworth have service 33,33A,34,35a and 2,2A and north side have service 34,35,35A,36 and X36.

And if allowing the timetable if so to be altered corrected:

The short X36 extending from Sunderland Interchange to Hartlepool via Ryhope, Dalton Park or Seaham, Peterlee then downwards to Hartlepool. The X35 would then if timetable be allowed to run every 30 minutes between Peterlee and Sunderland with a still hourly service extension to Hartlepool but service X35 and X36 provides a 30 minute frequency between Peterlee and Hartlepool (only if the timetable could be worked out to provide a joint service).

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - gtom - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 3:58 pm)Dan As far as I am aware, the Angel carries far more passengers than any other service in the North East. It is for this reason why I think Go North East is reluctant to make any changes to service 21, in case of any loss of patronage to competitors as a result of a possible bad decision.

Arriva is currently refurbishing buses to "MAX" specification, featuring the provision of free Wi-Fi and e-leather seats, for allocation to services X1/X2 (the latter of which, as you know, competes with Go North East's 21/X21 services). Arriva will quite rightly expect market growth from this upgrade in specification, and there is a pretty limited scope from which the market growth can come from... Go North East management isn't stupid, and will appreciate that there's a possibility for loss of custom, so I think they'll know that they can't sit back for much longer.

Be interesting to see what they come up with. Arriva are quicker (though obviously an express - but still picks up in key points in Birtley, Allerdene and Low Fell) and cheaper

GNE moved the 21 to Eldon Square because passengers liked and wanted Eldon Square. The 723 always stopped there and the 724 (aside the original OK service stopping on Newgate St but right by the door for Eldon Square)

If you move the 21 to Pilgrim St and reliability doesn't improve (likely because of the traffic issues it encouters) your going to end up with passengers being cold wet and miserable on Pilgrim St as opposed to warm, dry and miserable in Eldon Square

The REEEEEEEAL issue and one for 2015 to seriously consider is the end of the High Level Bridge being nigh....that will bring up serious questions for bus operators

(31 Dec 2014, 5:30 pm)gtom Be interesting to see what they come up with. Arriva are quicker (though obviously an express - but still picks up in key points in Birtley, Allerdene and Low Fell) and cheaper

GNE moved the 21 to Eldon Square because passengers liked and wanted Eldon Square.  The 723 always stopped there and the 724 (aside the original OK service stopping on Newgate St but right by the door for Eldon Square)

If you move the 21 to Pilgrim St and reliability doesn't improve (likely because of the traffic issues it encouters) your going to end up with passengers being cold wet and miserable on Pilgrim St as opposed to warm, dry and miserable in Eldon Square

The REEEEEEEAL issue and one for 2015 to seriously consider is the end of the High Level Bridge being nigh....that will bring up serious questions for bus operators

Yes, I agree.

Is there a definitive date for how much longer the High Level Bridge has? It'd be great if it could coincide with the new bus station for Newcastle, but last I read about that it seemed to be very much in the air?

Service 53 is given 12 minutes from Market Street to Gateshead Interchange, so you're looking at it being about 15 from Eldon Square (opposed to current 10).

RE: Go North East: Service Suggestions - gtom - 31 Dec 2014

(31 Dec 2014, 5:35 pm)Dan Yes, I agree.

Is there a definitive date for how much longer the High Level Bridge has? It'd be great if it could coincide with the new bus station for Newcastle, but last I read about that it seemed to be very much in the air?

Service 53 is given 12 minutes from Market Street to Gateshead Interchange, so you're looking at it being about 15 from Eldon Square (opposed to current 10).

There is something on SkyScraper City Newcastle with details about it and the Network Rail forecasts. I couldn't dig it out but there's more resourceful (and sober right now) folks around.

There's also the long mooted new bridge between Scotswood and the Metrocentre but otherwise GNE will be looking at Tyne Bridge/Redheugh.

In terms of Tyne Bridge I'd imagine you'd HAVE to signalise access to Hills St otherwise you'll see huge tailbacks