North East Buses
Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1031)

RE: Arriva bus changes! - cbma06 - 03 Sep 2014

OMG, not again.

I cant see the proposed X21 will be any quicker unless it goes along the A19 between Easington and Ryhope (just like what GNE did on old service 30/210) even then it would only be faster by about 5 minutes unless theirs a hold up on the A19.

Just got an email reply from DCC:

"In haste as we are heavily involved in school kids transport arrangements with it being the first week of term, service 24 will Ludworth etc, Oakerside, Peterlee, Hartlepool every 30 mins and service 22 will do Wheatley Hill, Burnhope Way, Peterlee, Sunderland.

Changes address reliability issues and longstanding complaints from Thornley/Wheatley Hill following loss of service to Sunderland."

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Andreos1 - 03 Sep 2014

(03 Sep 2014, 9:08 am)Michael Ye, not many places they could go, as Stagecoach and Go North East both have established routes.

I do hope Arriva win LOT 1 from NEXUS, if it happens

ANE seem to stay well away from anywhere but Stockton/Ryhope Road (apart from the x19), but continue to keep dipping their toes elsewhere in the region.

Hopefully the QCS bids shake up the market a bit.

(03 Sep 2014, 9:08 am)Michael Ye, not many places they could go, as Stagecoach and Go North East both have established routes.

I do hope Arriva win LOT 1 from NEXUS, if it happens

The proposed big 3 lots have been downgraded to a very lots of lots.

the sunderland section have been put into at least 2 separate lots

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Jimmi - 03 Sep 2014

(03 Sep 2014, 8:54 am)tyresmoke The X21 will run off the 21 during the day, with the additional peak journeys being operated by Stockton (am) and Durham (pm)

Will there be through connections between the 21 & X21.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - tyresmoke - 03 Sep 2014

(03 Sep 2014, 11:00 am)Jimmi Will there be through connections between the 21 & X21.

It'll be the same bus so yes there will be. It will be direct to Ryhope I am told. The reason for the 22/24 numbers changing is we've swapped the routes over between Durham and Peterlee to give a direct link between Wheatley Hill/Thornley and Sunderland which has apparently been asked for lots!

RE: Arriva bus changes! - minibus1474 - 03 Sep 2014

(03 Sep 2014, 11:43 am)tyresmoke It'll be the same bus so yes there will be. It will be direct to Ryhope I am told. The reason for the 22/24 numbers changing is we've swapped the routes over between Durham and Peterlee to give a direct link between Wheatley Hill/Thornley and Sunderland which has apparently been asked for lots!

Same arrangements that existed previously at Peterlee with 21/31 and 21A/31A ?

(03 Sep 2014, 11:43 am)tyresmoke It'll be the same bus so yes there will be. It will be direct to Ryhope I am told. The reason for the 22/24 numbers changing is we've swapped the routes over between Durham and Peterlee to give a direct link between Wheatley Hill/Thornley and Sunderland which has apparently been asked for lots!

Doesn't the residents from Wheatley Hill/Thornley areas know that their can catch the 22 to Peterlee then hop onto service 24 to Sunderland and vice versa lol, maybe their don't want to be kept in the cold at Peterlee bus station.

(03 Sep 2014, 11:51 am)minibus1474 Same arrangements that existed previously at Peterlee with 21/31 and 21A/31A ?

So if the X21 is hourly through the day coming off service 21, so where does Arriva get the extra bus to do the X21 every 30 minutes at peak times, will the extra X21 per hour come off the 21A?.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - tyresmoke - 03 Sep 2014

(03 Sep 2014, 1:10 pm)cbma06 So if the X21 is hourly through the day coming off service 21, so where does Arriva get the extra bus to do the X21 every 30 minutes at peak times, will the extra X21 per hour come off the 21A?.

As I said earlier, the morning extra will be worked by Stockton, whereas the evening one will be worked by Durham.

Yeah there was a lot of moaning when they lost the 21/31 to Sunderland back in October 2012.

Hopefully the 22/24 will run on time as I saw 24s leaving Sunderland and Durham late today.

I imagine it will be marketed as a through service so they can compete with the GNE X7 through Wingate and Station Town to pick up passengers wanting to go to Sunderland which is why it has probably been numbered as X21.

Will be nice to have one direct bus to Sunderland again as at the moment I have to change in Peterlee to the 24 which is due out at the same time the 21 is due in and Peterlee Bus Station, also I don't like Peterlee Bus Station.

Hope they don't use Solos on the 21/X21 as the 21 I was on this morning only had two seats left once we got to Shotton Colliery.

Re: RE: Arriva bus changes! - Dan - 03 Sep 2014

(03 Sep 2014, 9:04 am)Michael Thanks, the loading's must be decent from Sunderland to Peterlee, if we getting a 3rd service there, be interesting to see what GNE do, when they see they have launched a 3rd service to Peterlee...

If these contracts go ahead, i really hope Arriva get Sunderland's lot!
From my sightings today, which reflects the same story as in previous discussion, the loadings are nothing more than mediocre on services 23/24 coming into Sunderland, though the latter does seem to be the better achiever of the two. With free periods being added to the mix at school, I get even more chance to see the goings-on on Stockton Road, and I can't say I've ever seen a full load on a Pulsar/Omnicity or standees on a Solo.

I was with Scott a few weeks back and he came off the X7 which was full, and the 23 he had seen came in with around 10 people (and that's before you consider that some of those passengers weren't fare paying). Whilst I'd suggest the service will definitely be breaking even, and it should be making a profit (however small or large that may be) at the end of the day (when you take higher peak time loadings into account), the loadings aren't high enough to justify bringing in a new express service to ease loadings, and I'd imagine that this is very much a stab in the dark, with the company anticipating they can bring a few passengers off the X7 following its success.

I've mentioned previously that competition between Arriva and Go North East is very much a vicious circle. We've seen that Go North East has been successful on the Tyne Valley, so this seems all too convenient... Whilst I wish Arriva the best of luck, my loyalties (obviously) lie with Go North East, and I hope that customers - especially the ones who are fare paying - don't decide to migrate from the X7 and onto the X21 (as this would scupper any plans to upgrade the service in terms of frequency - which would be an awful shame!)

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Tom - 03 Sep 2014

(03 Sep 2014, 3:36 pm)Dan From my sightings today, which reflects the same story as in previous discussion, the loadings are nothing more than mediocre on services 23/24 coming into Sunderland, though the latter does seem to be the better achiever of the two. With free periods being added to the mix at school, I get even more chance to see the goings-on on Stockton Road, and I can't say I've ever seen a full load on a Pulsar/Omnicity or standees on a Solo.

I was with Scott a few weeks back and he came off the X7 which was full, and the 23 he had seen came in with around 10 people (and that's before you consider that some of those passengers weren't fare paying). Whilst I'd suggest the service will definitely be breaking even, and it should be making a profit (however small or large that may be) at the end of the day (when you take higher peak time loadings into account), the loadings aren't high enough to justify bringing in a new express service to ease loadings, and I'd imagine that this is very much a stab in the dark, with the company anticipating they can bring a few passengers off the X7 following its success.

I've mentioned previously that competition between Arriva and Go North East is very much a vicious circle. We've seen that Go North East has been successful on the Tyne Valley, so this seems all too convenient... Whilst I wish Arriva the best of luck, my loyalties (obviously) lie with Go North East, and I hope that customers - especially the ones who are fare paying - don't decide to migrate from the X7 and onto the X21 (as this would scupper any plans to upgrade the service in terms of frequency - which would be an awful shame!)

Well I know I'll be using the X7 as the difference in price is £1.60. And I'd rather have a Citaro than a Omnicity.

(03 Sep 2014, 3:41 pm)Tom Well I know I'll be using the X7 as the difference in price is £1.60. And I'd rather have a Citaro than a Omnicity.
Unusual for GNE's singles to be cheaper!

(03 Sep 2014, 3:41 pm)Dan Unusual for GNE's singles to be cheaper!

90p v £2.50
£3.95 v £5.00

Same on the X84/X85 too:
90p v £2.50
£4.75 v £5.40

(03 Sep 2014, 3:36 pm)Dan From my sightings today, which reflects the same story as in previous discussion, the loadings are nothing more than mediocre on services 23/24 coming into Sunderland, though the latter does seem to be the better achiever of the two. With free periods being added to the mix at school, I get even more chance to see the goings-on on Stockton Road, and I can't say I've ever seen a full load on a Pulsar/Omnicity or standees on a Solo.

The 23 I saw arriving in Peterlee from Sunderland this morning had few seats left, also 1301 which left at around 1337 had a fair few passengers from when it was leaving Sunderland this afternoon and you can't judge the passenger numbers from just Park Lane as people travel locally like Easington to Sunderland or Horden to Peterlee. The 24 left with Sunderland with a decent amount of passengers just in front of the 23 I mentioned above.

The X7 I got on from Peterlee this morning had standees'

(03 Sep 2014, 3:55 pm)Jimmi The 23 I saw arriving in Peterlee from Sunderland this morning had few seats left, also 1301 which left at around 1337 had a fair few passengers from when it was leaving Sunderland this afternoon and you can't judge the passenger numbers from just Park Lane as people travel locally like Easington to Sunderland or Horden to Peterlee. The 24 left with Sunderland with a decent amount of passengers just in front of the 23 I mentioned above.

The X7 I got on from Peterlee this morning had standees'

For an express service you can. If the service is going to be limited stop Sunderland - Ryhope - Peterlee, the loadings from Sunderland mean almost everything. The passengers can only be expected to migrate from their current services or the X7...

Dart 1301 came into Park Lane (about 6 mins late at 1600), with about six passengers. The bus notably sped past me and didn't stop! Smile
The larger vehicle made the loadings seem even more disappointing.

(03 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm)Dan For an express service you can. If the service is going to be limited stop Sunderland - Ryhope - Peterlee, the loadings from Sunderland mean almost everything. The passengers can only be expected to migrate from their current services or the X7...

Dart 1301 came into Park Lane (about 6 mins late at 1600), with about six passengers. The bus notably sped past me and didn't stop! Smile

Reliability is a issue to - the 24 is often late.

(03 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm)Dan For an express service you can. If the service is going to be limited stop Sunderland - Ryhope - Peterlee, the loadings from Sunderland mean almost everything. The passengers can only be expected to migrate from their current services or the X7...

For an express service you can but the 23/24 do carry more than the people than just the loads leaving Park Lane.

By any chance was 1301 late because its flaming awful, the revving just before it left Park Lane sounded terrible, I feel sorry for anyone who had to endure that on the 23 today, they are bad enough on the 64 so I'd hate to have that on a hard route like the 23.

(03 Sep 2014, 4:05 pm)Tom Reliability is a issue to - the 24 is often late.

Some were running late this afternoon.