North East Buses
Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1031)

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Kuyoyo - 03 Aug 2015

(03 Aug 2015, 8:43 pm)Jimmi Apparently the X67 will go via Longnewton so here is my wacky suggestion.

X66: current route.
X67: via, Freeman's Place, Haughton Road, Haughton Green, Stockton Road, Great Burdon (A1150), A66, LONGNEWTON Darlington Road, ELTON, then A66 to Stockton and Middlesbrough the same route as the X66.

Pure random speculation this. Both would be half hourly (combined 15 minutes).

I may have been mistaken the other week (and as the posts were deleted by request of Arriva management). Again, from speaking to some of the Stockton drivers, the plan does seem to be for a combined frequency increase with this new 'X67' running via Hartburn replacing the 6. Lets see how long before the Darlington drivers get lost round Hartburn - after all, it's now 4 years since they last served anywhere in Stockton other than the High Street or Yarm Lane.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Jimmi - 03 Aug 2015

(03 Aug 2015, 8:51 pm)Kuyoyo I may have been mistaken the other week (and as the posts were deleted by request of Arriva management). Again, from speaking to some of the Stockton drivers, the plan does seem to be for a combined frequency increase with this new 'X67' running via Hartburn replacing the 6. Lets see how long before the Darlington drivers get lost round Hartburn - after all, it's now 4 years since they last served anywhere in Stockton other than the High Street or Yarm Lane.
They are bad enough for getting lost when Riverside is closed, when I went to the 500 Group Running Day I had to guide the driver round Stockton!

See its not just Malarkey who tells drivers what way to go.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - S813 FVK - 03 Aug 2015

(03 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm)MurdnunoC Yup. Then for a short while after the 700 was extended from Flint Hill to replace the 714/715 between Pickering Nook and Rowlands Gill.

Ah yes. There was the 700 which went through Annfield Plain (as apposed to round Tanfield Lea like the Hunters 713). 710 which went to Quaking Houses via Tyne Road (effectively South Stanley), the 711 which is the current 130 (Same route) and the 712 which went to Burnhope. 

I still have one of the old 'Gotta go somewhere' timetables they used to produce with all routes in. Love looking through it just to remind me of how the Stanley and Consett network used to look. Why they renumbered and withdrew some services i do not know.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - tyresmoke - 03 Aug 2015

(03 Aug 2015, 8:29 pm)aureolin The only issue I can see with those restrictive services, is actually how many people are in college until 5pm? I don't know if things have changed, but when I was at college, people were on their 2nd or 3rd pint by then...

These just replace the existing college buses operated last year by Lee's of Durham and Snowdons. I believe they ran a similar time, although obviously the majority of students are going to have the bonus of having a regular daytime bus home. The same situation exists in Middlesbrough with the college students, those from Northallerton (not a huge amount one suspects!) have to wait till half 4 for the college bus home.

(03 Aug 2015, 8:32 pm)9920up Now let's see.......
The X66 uses MAX Omnicities every 20 minutes into Darlington from Middlesbrough. The X26/7 uses MAX Omnicities every 20 minutes into Darlington from Richmond/Catterick. There are no links at present from North and NE Darlington to the Railway station. Through services have recently come back into vogue and been re-introduced  across town on the combined 2 and ex 11, 3/3A/3B. Middlesbrough Darlington Richmond Catterick anyone?

I reckon that would require 2 separate services to avoid the tacho restrictions so I don't think we would gain anything from doing this. A through service to the station would be handy I suppose but there are frequent options via Yarm Road existing.

(03 Aug 2015, 8:34 pm)MurdnunoC At last, a bus from Rowlands Gill to Stanley once again. Shame it has to a tour of Derwentside first but beggars can't be choosers!

I dare say it will be for college passes only as these aren't registered to take fares...

(03 Aug 2015, 8:43 pm)Jimmi Apparently the X67 will go via Longnewton so here is my wacky suggestion.

X66: current route.
X67: via, Freeman's Place, Haughton Road, Haughton Green, Stockton Road, Great Burdon (A1150), A66, LONGNEWTON Darlington Road, ELTON, then A66 to Stockton and Middlesbrough the same route as the X66.

Pure random speculation this. Both would be half hourly (combined 15 minutes).

That's an interesting suggestion! Would there be enough demand for a half hourly service to Elton & Longenwton? Haughton Green already has a frequent service to Darlington, and freshly branded Frequenta so throwing more buses down there might not be a great idea? Not sure there may be demand for a few college journeys to colleges in Middlesbrough (and maybe Stockton) from the estates I suppose?!

(03 Aug 2015, 8:51 pm)Kuyoyo I may have been mistaken the other week (and as the posts were deleted by request of Arriva management). Again, from speaking to some of the Stockton drivers, the plan does seem to be for a combined frequency increase with this new 'X67' running via Hartburn replacing the 6. Lets see how long before the Darlington drivers get lost round Hartburn - after all, it's now 4 years since they last served anywhere in Stockton other than the High Street or Yarm Lane.

I don't think Darlington drivers would get particularly lost, plenty of them still go via Hartburn on the odd occasion just for some different scenery. Add to that Yarm Lane gets used frequently all through the day I'm sure they'll retain the route knowledge should they go through Hartburn at any point in the future... I wonder how many Stockton drivers similarly retain route knowledge around Darlington? A while since we did X66s (long before I started!) that's for sure.
I am sure the registrations involved will be public knowledge soon but until then I'm not going to say any more. There's certainly a background theme of expansion going on though, what with the X20 and 46 seeing increased resources being utilised.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Kuyoyo - 03 Aug 2015

(03 Aug 2015, 9:27 pm)tyresmoke I don't think Darlington drivers would get particularly lost, plenty of them still go via Hartburn on the odd occasion just for some different scenery. Add to that Yarm Lane gets used frequently all through the day I'm sure they'll retain the route knowledge should they go through Hartburn at any point in the future... I wonder how many Stockton drivers similarly retain route knowledge around Darlington? A while since we did X66s (long before I started!) that's for sure.
I am sure the registrations involved will be public knowledge soon but until then I'm not going to say any more. There's certainly a background theme of expansion going on though, what with the X20 and 46 seeing increased resources being utilised.

A few recall some of it - will need a lot of refreshing as last time they did them, it still went via Thompson Street East and Fitzwilliam Drive plus it terminated on Prebend Row rather than at the foot of Tubwell Row. I did mention to one of the lads when discussing that fact. Add to the fact they'll be few drivers still left from back then (haven't done X66s since Loftus closed in 2010 if I recall).

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Jimmi - 03 Aug 2015

(03 Aug 2015, 9:27 pm)tyresmoke That's an interesting suggestion! Would there be enough demand for a half hourly service to Elton & Longenwton? Haughton Green already has a frequent service to Darlington, and freshly branded Frequenta so throwing more buses down there might not be a great idea? Not sure there may be demand for a few college journeys to colleges in Middlesbrough (and maybe Stockton) from the estates I suppose?!

I don't think Darlington drivers would get particularly lost, plenty of them still go via Hartburn on the odd occasion just for some different scenery. Add to that Yarm Lane gets used frequently all through the day I'm sure they'll retain the route knowledge should they go through Hartburn at any point in the future... I wonder how many Stockton drivers similarly retain route knowledge around Darlington? A while since we did X66s (long before I started!) that's for sure.

Same could be said for North Road, which has a service every 7/8 minutes (plus additionally 3A/3B and X66 in parts) although some parts of Harrowgate Hill doesn't have another service. Sometimes you got a few jump on at Darlington College when the OK1 ran to Middlesbrough and then you would have other stops on the route would have a service to Stockton and Middlesbrough. True about Longnewton, can't say that would warrant a half hourly service.

Recently most have been going in and out of Stockton the same way to reach the A66 although the driver on my X66 to Darlington on Saturday used Yarm Road, it's certainly not the first time Darlington drivers have gone down here on the X66 but I haven't seen many go down here recently. Fairly recently a Darlington entered Stockton from Middlesbrough via the 21A route and a few years back one driver did the Stagecoach 36 route from Stockton to Middlesbrough.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Stuartphin1639 - 03 Aug 2015

(03 Aug 2015, 9:41 pm)Jimmi Same could be said for North Road, which has a service every 7/8 minutes (plus additionally 3A/3B and X66 in parts) although some parts of Harrowgate Hill doesn't have another service. Sometimes you got a few jump on at Darlington College when the OK1 ran to Middlesbrough and then you would have other stops on the route would have a service to Stockton and Middlesbrough. True about Longnewton, can't say that would warrant a half hourly service.

Recently most have been going in and out of Stockton the same way to reach the A66 although the driver on my X66 to Darlington on Saturday used Yarm Road, it's certainly not the first time Darlington drivers have gone down here on the X66 but I haven't seen many go down here recently. Fairly recently a Darlington entered Stockton from Middlesbrough via the 21A route and a few years back one driver did the Stagecoach 36 route from Stockton to Middlesbrough.

Some of the lads I know go via thornaby train station, mandale triangle, then via the 36 route, as it doesn't stop between Stockton and Middlesbrough it's allowed to go any which way the driver wants

There was talk about it going via Stockton riverside college, but that could be difficult with the X12 going that way, or maybe even a link to Teesside park?

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Kuyoyo - 04 Aug 2015

(03 Aug 2015, 8:23 am)mb134 Are the new timetables for the Northumberland changes out today, seem to recall something saying they were, just can't find it anywhere...
(03 Aug 2015, 8:51 am)Kuyoyo The Consultation Report stated they will be online today at some point. The printed versions will be available from Thursday.
(03 Aug 2015, 3:38 pm)marklewins According to the people on Arriva North East's twitter page it will be dealt with by the end of the week.

I am shocked as the timetables have to go in with the service registration. Timetables must be finalised 4 weeks prior to service commencement if it is a service alteration...hence this week for the new timetables.

Obviously being done in Sunderland by someone who has never been to Cramlington, Blyth, Morpeth or Ashington.

Keep checking Arriva's buggy website over the week. Sadly they have no section about upcoming changes which would be a bonus.

Mark
(03 Aug 2015, 5:05 pm)mb134 I did think that they'd have to have some sort of timetable ready when they submitted the variations. 

Also, timetables are meant to be on buses by Thursday, meaning they must have already been printed/sent to the printers, and just can't be bothered to upload them to the website...

Replies to various comments on the Facebook pages confirm that the new timetables *should* hopefully be online by the end of the day.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - L469 YVK - 04 Aug 2015

Instead of putting extra peak time journeys in place on the 308, why don't they just do a 'Pronto' and get an express service sorted?

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - omnicity4659 - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 12:26 pm)DaveyBowyer Instead of putting extra peak time journeys in place on the 308, why don't they just do a 'Pronto' and get an express service sorted?

An express will achieve?

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Cock Robin - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 12:45 pm)GX03 SVC An express will achieve?

The same as it achieves in other areas - eg X5, X17...

Northumberland Timetables now online

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Tom - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 1:19 pm)Kuyoyo Northumberland Timetables now online

All very good changes. Especially the 20/X20.

Well, I've just had a look at the 308 timetable and all they've done is add a few extra morning journeys to Newcastle rather than the supposed '10 minute' frequency at peak times. I hope VOSA and the DFT come down hard on Arriva over this service as:

- The Hybrids are constantly off route contrary to the GBF.
- Despite on going congestion issues, Arriva have barely changed the timings of the service.

Now I'm not saying GNE are saints here but they're what you call 'diligent' and with the added bonus of AVL tracking and a live control room at Riverside.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - omnicity4659 - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm)DaveyBowyer - The Hybrids are constantly off route contrary to the GBF.

I suppose that Arriva are going to magic up some B5LHs every time a service needs regulating?

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - marklewins - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 2:34 pm)Tom All very good changes. Especially the 20/X20.
I disagree. These are not all, good and sensible changes. The main interurban services are all sensible changes. Yet again Arriva is determined to provide useless inner urban services in Cramlington. The 58 is useless. People who rely on the buses have gone from having an every 20minute service on the C1/C2s from 7am to 7pm daily Monday to Saturday. These were phased out. Eastfield Lea and Collingwood Grange eventually had no service. Beacon Hill and Nelson Village have suffered a reeuction to a half hourly, then an hourly service to all sorts of destinations along the way.
Now, East Hartford, once had an hourly 43A service to Newcastle, Nelson Village, Beacon Hill, Collingwood Grange and Eastfield Lea had 20min services Manor Walks, Hartley and sluice had an hourly 442 service.

All since gone and forgotton to a service that provides a meagre service at hourly and shockingly 2 hourly intervals.
Effectively cutting people off from GP appointments and needless travel long before appointments. Hospital appointments and so fourth.

Sadly Arriva needs to come back to local control where decisions are made by depot managers, not centralised profiteers. I agree services should break even. But we had a great bus service in Cramlington until 2006ish. I just think it is poor these days.

Some may disagree. I have have lived, gorwn up in, and visyed Cramlington for 29years. It part qualifies me to have a valid opinion.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Tom - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 3:20 pm)GX03 SVC I suppose that Arriva are going to magic up some B5LHs every time a service needs regulating?

Exactly, you either have late running services or off route buses. To be fair, the 308 isn't even that bad with regards to timekeeping!

Working out from the timetables:

2: PVR 5 (down 1 from PVR 6)
35/35a: PVR 6 (down 1 in term times, unchanged school holidays)
43/44/45: PVR 12 (up 1 from PVR 11)
57/57a: PVR 4 (up 1 on the 57's PVR 3)
58: PVR 1 (same as C1/C2/C3 now)
X7/X8: No Change
X9: No Change
X16/33: PVR 2 (down 2 from the present 4 on the 33/57A/X14)
X20: PVR 4 (Up 1 from PVR 3)

(04 Aug 2015, 3:21 pm)Tom Exactly, you either have late running services or off route buses. To be fair, the 308 isn't even that bad with regards to timekeeping!

Well the problem with the 308 is that:

- Afternoon journeys to Newcastle are incorrectly timed and despite the increased layover, once a service starts to run late, a windfall then happens where it becomes later. This then has an impact on layover time and impacts the outbound service.

- The same thing then happens with the outbound service.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Dan - 04 Aug 2015

(04 Aug 2015, 3:20 pm)GX03 SVC I suppose that Arriva are going to magic up some B5LHs every time a service needs regulating?

That's not the issue, Tommy.

I could count on one hand the amount of times Go North East's "Angel" branded Volvo B5LHs have been used on other commercial services besides service 21 (excluding scholars and those that they are scheduled to be allocated to - evening X21s and Night Bus N20/N21), whereas it's a daily occurrence at Blyth. Admittedly, it has drastically reduced in recent months and you no longer see a Hybrid on the X4/X5 at the same time a Quroum Express branded VDL Gemini is on the 308 at Blyth, so we're heading in the right direction.

I am in favour of effective regulation and spare vehicles being used to time-correct services, but the vehicle that is replaced shouldn't immediately become the 'spare bus' used for time-correcting. That's when branding goes helter-skelter, and makes a mockery of the whole concept. I appreciate it's better to send an incorrectly branded vehicle than none at all, but I would anticipate that Blyth would have more than one spare vehicle at any given time?

These vehicles were ordered with assistance from Government funding for use on service 308. Only in extreme circumstances should a Government-funded vehicle be allocated to another service.