North East Buses
Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1031)

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Cock Robin - 04 Sep 2015

Bloody hell!

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - BusLoverMum - 04 Sep 2015

(04 Sep 2015, 2:15 pm)tyresmoke I think we're just running it as a trial using one of the buses that would otherwise be sat idle in the yard (PVR of 9/27/27A is -3 on a Saturday compared to weekdays). If its successful it may be extended I guess, otherwise just quietly dropped.
Teesside Park used to subsidise the Alrite/A1 Coaches/Compass Royston/Leven Valley services but I think this is being done on an entirely commercial basis. Hopefully the run upto Christmas will prove to be busy, though it doesn't really have any time to settle in being started at the end of October.

I could see it being popular so long as word gets out about it. That car park at Teesside park is a nightmare and a lot of people don't bother going, even when it would be convenient to, simply because getting parked is one big headache after the headache of getting in and before the headache of getting out again.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Jimmi - 04 Sep 2015

(04 Sep 2015, 4:12 pm)BusLoverMum I could see it being popular so long as word gets out about it.

Hopefully they will promote the service as otherwise if they don't it will probably flop. Same with the X24 to the MetroCentre, I think that service could do better if Arriva promoted it more.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - tyresmoke - 04 Sep 2015

Might be worth mentioning that from 4th October the X12 will once again become limited stop on the various sections where it currently serves all stops.

Between Middlesbrough & Stockton it will only serve Teesdale Uni, Thornaby Station and the student flats at Chandlers Wharf
Between Sedgefield & Durham it will only stop at Coxhoe Red Lion, Coxhoe Church, Park Hill, Bowburn Cooperage, Bowburn Hare & Greyhound, Bowburn Mary Terrace then non-stop to Houghall College, Science Site, New Inn and then all stops to Durham.

On departure from Durham the only stops will be St Leonards School, County Hall, Aykley Heads, Framwellgate Salutation, Pity Me Front Street then non-stop to Chester-le-Street Black Horse, Front Street and then the same stops as now to Newcastle.

It doesn't appear that the times will change all that much - but obviously some time will be saved by missing out various stops especially on the run into Durham where the 56, 57 and 64 will pick up more of the load (capacity issues?) from the local stops.
Watch out for more improvements coming soon though  Wink

(04 Sep 2015, 4:15 pm)Jimmi Hopefully they will promote the service as otherwise if they don't it will probably flop. Same with the X24 to the MetroCentre, I think that service could do better if Arriva promoted it more.

That service would do better if it ran at a more useful frequency. Once every two hours doesn't tempt me to save money and just buy Arriva day ticket instead of an explorer which increases my choices from a bus every 2 hours to a choice of buses every few minutes. It doesn't help, for me, of course, that the 22 often pulls in at the station just as the X22 is leaving and the only time we've ever caught an x24 is when we had to go into Durham first because I'd sooner change at Gateshead than twiddle my thumbs in Durham bus station for 28 minutes.

(04 Sep 2015, 7:11 pm)BusLoverMum That service would do better if it ran at a more useful frequency. Once every two hours doesn't tempt me to save money and just buy Arriva day ticket instead of an explorer which increases my choices from a bus every 2 hours to a choice of buses every few minutes. It doesn't help, for me, of course, that the 22 often pulls in at the station just as the X22 is leaving and the only time we've ever caught an x24 is when we had to go into Durham first because I'd sooner change at Gateshead than twiddle my thumbs in Durham bus station for 28 minutes.

Every 2 hours isn't an ideal frequency. If I am on my own it normally takes me at most 90 minutes to get round the MetroCentre so two hours between buses isn't too bad for me but for most the 2 hourly frequency will not be ideal.

(04 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm)Jimmi Every 2 hours isn't an ideal frequency. If I am on my own it normally takes me at most 90 minutes to get round the MetroCentre so two hours between buses isn't too bad for me but for most the 2 hourly frequency will not be ideal.

I struggle to spend an hour there. It's too hot and noisy.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - NK53 TKT - 04 Sep 2015

(04 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm)Jimmi Every 2 hours isn't an ideal frequency. If I am on my own it normally takes me at most 90 minutes to get round the MetroCentre so two hours between buses isn't too bad for me but for most the 2 hourly frequency will not be ideal.
I think the Metrocentre can be entertaining, you can go for a day if you're me and I don't like shopping. You can eat lunch there, shop, go to Namco Funscape, go on the S1 to ASDA to do your weekly shop and go to IKEA and you can even do oter things

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Tom - 04 Sep 2015

(04 Sep 2015, 7:46 pm)NK53 TKT I think the Metrocentre can be entertaining, you can go for a day if you're me and I don't like shopping. You can eat lunch there, shop, go to Namco Funscape, go on the S1 to ASDA to do your weekly shop and go to IKEA and you can even do oter things

Metrocentre is okay, but I think Newcastle is better. More choice I think, and the departments stores (Fenwick/John Lewis) are better than House of Fraser I think. However the cinema is better than the Empire at Newcastle, and plenty of stuff to eat too with more coming.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - S813 FVK - 04 Sep 2015

I hate the metrocentre - mainly because you don't have the option to go outside if you get too hot like Newcastle but eldon square is awful - gets too busy and people are always walking infront of me etc.

(04 Sep 2015, 7:51 pm)S813 FVK I hate the metrocentre - mainly because you don't have the option to go outside if you get too hot like Newcastle but eldon square is awful - gets too busy and people are always walking infront of me etc.

Agreed, I went on my birthday and it got me in such a bad state because it was so busy, was so glad when I was finally heading home.

I slightly prefer the MetroCentre for shops but I do hate not being able to go outside although Newcastle has a few shops that the MetroCentre doesn't.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - R852 PRG - 04 Sep 2015

Not fixed on the MetroCentre, don't mind Eldon Square. The problem with the MetroCentre is I'm almost guaranteed to see somebody I know, which is awkward when you're with family.

(04 Sep 2015, 7:59 pm)R852 PRG Not fixed on the MetroCentre, don't mind Eldon Square. The problem with the MetroCentre is I'm almost guaranteed to see somebody I know, which is awkward when you're with family.

Cant say i don't have the same problem. Somewhere small and confined like that place just increases the chances of that happening.

(04 Sep 2015, 7:51 pm)S813 FVK I hate the metrocentre - mainly because you don't have the option to go outside if you get too hot like Newcastle but eldon square is awful - gets too busy and people are always walking infront of me etc.
I said exactly this to the Husband while we were there, yesterday. There's no escaping it.
(04 Sep 2015, 7:56 pm)Jimmi Agreed, I went on my birthday and it got me in such a bad state because it was so busy, was so glad when I was finally heading home.

I slightly prefer the MetroCentre for shops but I do hate not being able to go outside although Newcastle has a few shops that the MetroCentre doesn't.

It seems to be a big migraine trigger - Husband was ill after yesterday's visit.

Newcastle has John Lewis. Calm, order and a lack of gobby teens. Free coffee, once in a while, too.

Apologies for the double post. I keep getting error messages when I post. Will try to remember to screenshot the next one.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - R852 PRG - 04 Sep 2015

(04 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm)BusLoverMum I said exactly this to the Husband while we were there, yesterday. There's no escaping it.

It seems to be a big migraine trigger - Husband was ill after yesterday's visit.

Newcastle has John Lewis. Calm, order and a lack of gobby teens. Free coffee, once in a while, too.

I said exactly this to the Husband while we were there, yesterday. There's no escaping it.

Have to say, at the risk of sounding like the opposite sex, nothing beats a bit of mindless wandering at Fenwicks or John Lewis. Big Grin

(04 Sep 2015, 8:06 pm)R852 PRG Have to say, at the risk of sounding like the opposite sex, nothing beats a bit of mindless wandering at Fenwicks or John Lewis. Big Grin
Fenwick hasn't been quite the same since they fixed the escalators so it was harder to get lost in there.

RE: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Tom - 04 Sep 2015

Last time I was in they were doing something to the food hall in Fenwick and looked like Yo Sushi has gone, has that moved somewhere else in Fenwick?

Not a fan of raw fish

(04 Sep 2015, 8:10 pm)Tom Last time I was in they were doing something to the food hall in Fenwick and looked like Yo Sushi has gone, has that moved somewhere else in Fenwick?

I noticed that it was all boarded up where Yo Sushi was, on Tuesday. It was there about 10 days before!

It's not been put anywhere else.

(04 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm)S813 FVK Not a fan of raw fish

Sashimi is raw fish. Sushi can be made with raw fish, coked fish, vegetables or just about anything!