North East Buses
Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1031)

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Dan - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 7:08 pm)Michael Least the X21 is doing a few runs, the new 22 timetable isn't online yet

How long we giving this X21 before certain runs get axed?

I feel like a broken record here, but I happen to regularly see the departures of services 23/24 on a morning, between 0800 and 0900, and the loadings out of Sunderland are embarrassing compared to the X7.

The 0817 24 departure often stays on the layover until 30 seconds before it's due to leave, by which time service 61 has picked up all of its passengers travelling along the same route. As such, that one often departs with zero passengers. This month, I think the most passengers I've witnessed on board that run was approximately four - and that was when the 61 driver went to the toilet and some went to the 24 instead.

If I miss the 0830/0832 60/61 departures on a morning, I'm regularly the only passenger on-board service 23, departing at 0837.

The same is replicated throughout the day. I almost fell off my seat when I saw a 24 service passing my school with a staggering 14 passengers a week or two ago...

Once again, their attempts to provide a greater service in Sunderland is commendable, but I can't help but be sceptical about it. Let's hope the drivers of service X21 are informed of the different tickets available in Tyne & Wear! Wink 

One could argue that Arriva could have appealed to the market more by providing a Sunday service (something which is limited by Arriva on Sundays, and non-existent by Go North East), but it seems they haven't bothered to take the financial risk...

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Tom - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 7:23 pm)Dan How long we giving this X21 before certain runs get axed?

I feel like a broken record here, but I happen to regularly see the departures of services 23/24 on a morning, between 0800 and 0900, and the loadings out of Sunderland are embarrassing compared to the X7.

The 0817 24 departure often stays on the layover until 30 seconds before it's due to leave, by which time service 61 has picked up all of its passengers travelling along the same route. As such, that one often departs with zero passengers. This month, I think the most passengers I've witnessed on board that run was approximately four - and that was when the 61 driver went to the toilet and some went to the 24 instead.

If I miss the 0830/0832 60/61 departures on a morning, I'm regularly the only passenger on-board service 23, departing at 0837.

The same is replicated throughout the day. I almost fell off my seat when I saw a 24 service passing my school with a staggering 14 passengers a week or two ago...

Once again, their attempts to provide a greater service in Sunderland is commendable, but I can't help but be sceptical about it. Let's hope the drivers of service X21 are informed of the different tickets available in Tyne & Wear! Wink 

One could argue that Arriva could have appealed to the market more by providing a Sunday service (something which is limited by Arriva on Sundays, and non-existent by Go North East), but it seems they haven't bothered to take the financial risk...

A Pulsar on the 24 on Saturday had about 20 passengers leaving Sunderland!

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Jimmi - 23 Sep 2014

The X21 will hopefully get passengers from Station Town and Wingate like the Go North East X7 does and hopefully further afield like Darlington, Aycliffe, Sedgefield and Trimdon.

I am hopeful that this service will be a success as I'd like having a direct service to Sunderland again as I hate changing buses in Durham or Peterlee bus stations.

Part of the reason why I think the GNE X7 is so good is passengers connecting from their East Durham services although I think it is also busy because they only have 1 bus an hour between Peterlee and Sunderland while Arriva have 4.

The loads on the 23/24 are usually better coming into Sunderland because concession pass holders will just on the first bus that turns up.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Adrian - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 7:23 pm)Dan One could argue that Arriva could have appealed to the market more by providing a Sunday service (something which is limited by Arriva on Sundays, and non-existent by Go North East), but it seems they haven't bothered to take the financial risk...

I'd give it a couple months before an X7 Sunday service exists, now that there's competition.

Re: RE: Arriva bus changes! - Dan - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 7:36 pm)Tom A Pulsar on the 24 on Saturday had about 20 passengers leaving Sunderland!
Bloody hell - please tell me you got a photograph!

Was the bus on time or not? If it was late, I'd argue it was carrying the load of service 23 too... You see it all the time with the 60.
If it was on time, I'm truly amazed.

Re: RE: Arriva bus changes! - Dan - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 7:39 pm)aureolin I'd give it a couple months before an X7 Sunday service exists, now that there's competition.
My thoughts exactly... Go North East certainly isn't going to sit back and let Arriva take any customers from them - roll on the Wi-Fi and Sunday service!

A Pulsar on the 24 on Saturday had about 20 passengers leaving Sunderland!
I've said this before and everytime I've been on the 24 it has had roughly that number of passengers onboard.

(23 Sep 2014, 7:42 pm)Jimmi I've said this before and everytime I've been on the 24 it has had roughly that number of passengers onboard.

You've pulled my leg... I'll carry out a loadings audit tomorrow (or perhaps the day after, as I have no free periods tomorrow) Wink 

In and out of Peterlee, this may be the case... But in and out of Sunderland, it's almost unheard of.

(23 Sep 2014, 7:40 pm)Dan Bloody hell - please tell me you got a photograph!

Was the bus on time or not? If it was late, I'd argue it was carrying the load of service 23 too... You see it all the time with the 60.
If it was on time, I'm truly amazed.

Couldn't tell you if it was on time or not, but it left Park Lane at around 14:35ish.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Michael - 23 Sep 2014

Would like to see the X7 on a Sunday... think it still would like every 2 hours... WIFI would be a good move...
I hope the X21 is a good move from arriva... ill say it again..wouldnt mind them doing a few more routes in Sunderland... like to the Cobalt etc

You've pulled my leg... I'll carry out a loadings audit tomorrow (or perhaps the day after, as I have no free periods tomorrow) Wink

In and out of Peterlee, this may be the case... But in and out of Sunderland, it's almost unheard of.
No, I'm not.
These loadings are mostly on a morning between about 10am and 12pm to Sunderland and 1pm to 3pm from Sunderland when I've used it.

(23 Sep 2014, 7:49 pm)Michael Would like to see the X7 on a Sunday... think it still would like every 2 hours... WIFI would be a good move...
I hope the X21 is a good move from arriva... ill say it again..wouldnt mind them doing a few more routes in Sunderland... like to the Cobalt etc

Your not missing much, Michael. There service is shambles. 

(23 Sep 2014, 7:39 pm)Jimmi The loads on the 23/24 are usually better coming into Sunderland because concession pass holders will just on the first bus that turns up.

I'm really not imagining the empty buses on mornings and throughout the day, when I see services 23/24 (more so service 23) - honest...!
Comparing the loadings of service X7 to services 23/24 combined, and you'll find that the loadings on service X7 are still superior.

Under 16 POP card holders rarely use Arriva services in Sunderland due to the fact Arriva drivers turn these kids away most of the time. Baffling - think of the lost revenue!
Concessionary Pass holders are more likely to use the buses, knowing that they can, but then again, the chance of an Arriva bus turning up on the Stockton Road corridor before a Go North East one is slim (6 buses p/h with services 29/39, 6 buses p/h with service 42, 6 buses p/h with service 60, 4 buses p/h with service 61, 1 bus p/h with service X7...)

I'm really not imagining the empty buses on mornings and throughout the day, when I see services 23/24 (more so service 23) - honest...!

Comparing the loadings of service X7 to services 23/24 combined, and you'll find that the loadings on service X7 are still superior.
 Under 16 POP card holders rarely use Arriva services in Sunderland due to the fact Arriva drivers turn these kids away most of the time. Concessionary Pass holders are more likely to use the buses, knowing that they can, but then again, the chance of an Arriva bus turning up on the Stockton Road corridor before a Go North East one is slim (6 buses p/h with services 29/39, 6 buses p/h with service 42, 6 buses p/h with service 60, 4 buses p/h with service 61, 1 bus p/h with service X7...)
Yes the loadings on the X7 are brilliant but like I said I think that is people coming from Teesside and people using GNE tickets so they don't have to switch operators.
Hopefully the new 22 will get more passengers when it starts running to Sunderland instead of the 24 as people in Wheatley Hill have wanted a service to Sunderland again after they lost the 21/31 back in 2012.
It is poor that drivers don't know all the passes and tickets they accept.

(23 Sep 2014, 7:51 pm)Dan I'm really not imagining the empty buses on mornings and throughout the day, when I see services 23/24 (more so service 23) - honest...!

Under 16 POP card holders rarely use Arriva services in Sunderland due to the fact Arriva drivers turn these kids away most of the time. Baffling - think of the lost revenue!
Concessionary Pass holders are more likely to use the buses, knowing that they can, but then again, the chance of an Arriva bus turning up on the Stockton Road corridor before a Go North East one is slim (6 buses p/h with services 29/39, 6 buses p/h with service 42, 6 buses p/h with service 60, 4 buses p/h with service 61, 1 bus p/h with service X7...)

To be honest its expectable. Arriva don't really have many connections at Peterlee.
Maybe they should start a service or two around Peterlee?

(23 Sep 2014, 7:51 pm)Tom Your not missing much, Michael. There service is shambles. 

Jimmi certainly didn't paint a pretty picture of Arriva's services on Teesside today - but I'm not one to tar the company with the same brush due to bad experiences on one specific service.

When I have had to use services 23/24 outside of Tyne & Wear in the past, I've had no major issues. By and large, the services have been on time. My experiences with other Arriva services are limited, but are similar to services 23/24. Time-keeping did seem to be an issue on the Quorum Express, though this has seemed to improve after umpteen amount of changes (which I still hear passengers complaining about).
I've always found the attitude of most drivers to be unpleasant, though this is replicated across all three operators. I do feel that bus drivers are under-paid for what they have to go through on a day-to-day basis, which could in part explain the poor customer service given by these drivers.
Branding is a major issue for Arriva at the moment, now more than ever as there is a growing 'hierarchy' of services: Sapphire > MAX > Normal. The mis-allocation of buses really does need to be nipped in the bud.
Of course, we all know my thoughts and feelings on the lack of knowledge some drivers have of the ticketing options in Tyne & Wear, and I needn't elaborate, as I've done that one to death!

To be honest its expectable. Arriva don't really have many connections at Peterlee.

They had more services in Peterlee a while back, but then they changed them all and closed Peterlee depot with all their services transferring to different depots and then they withdraw many of the services because they weren't profitable through Peterlee and surrounding areas. Although Arriva still serve a large amount of Peterlee.

(23 Sep 2014, 8:04 pm)Tom To be honest its expectable. Arriva don't really have many connections at Peterlee.

See - I'd argue that, around Peterlee, the services perform somewhat decently. cbma06 may be able to provide a greater insight in regards to what he sees...

Granted, fare-paying passengers are few and far between, and Concessionary Pass holders make up the majority of the passengers, but I definitely think Peterlee is the place to go to see services 23/24 performing at their best.

There may be a lack of connections, but I think that the connections they do have in Peterlee suffice to provide a decent enough service, and that's due to the fact that they serve a few of the little villages.

Just had a quick little test on Flickr... Typed in 'arriva north east service 23 sunderland' and 'arriva north east service 24 sunderland' and categorised by 'Most Recent' - the photos speak for themselves, and certainly backs up what I've said about the loadings in and out of Sunderland.

(23 Sep 2014, 8:10 pm)Dan See - I'd argue that, around Peterlee, the services perform somewhat decently. cbma06 may be able to provide a greater insight in regards to what he sees...

Granted, fare-paying passengers are few and far between, and Concessionary Pass holders make up the majority of the passengers, but I definitely think Peterlee is the place to go to see services 23/24 performing at their best.

There may be a lack of connections, but I think that the connections they do have in Peterlee suffice to provide a decent enough service, and that's due to the fact that they serve a few of the little villages.

Just had a quick little test on Flickr... Typed in 'arriva north east service 23 sunderland' and 'arriva north east service 24 sunderland' and categorised by 'Most Recent' - the photos speak for themselves, and certainly backs up what I've said about the loadings in and out of Sunderland.

I know the 24 is quite busy leaving Durham/Peterlee, yes.
What I mean is town services. So maybe one to Houghton via South Hetton, and another to Horden?

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Adrian - 23 Sep 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 8:10 pm)Dan See - I'd argue that, around Peterlee, the services perform somewhat decently. cbma06 may be able to provide a greater insight in regards to what he sees...

I don't know the area around East Durham much at all, but I'd think anything they're running into Sunderland would perhaps suffer from the same problem as the X2 down Durham Road. 

We know the passenger flow on Durham Road is thick and fast, and also that there's a massive gulf between what you'd see in the figures for the  21 and for the X2. Problem with the X2 though, is that between Pity Me and Eldon Square, there is not a single other Arriva connection in sight. Some 50 minutes of travel time, with god knows how many stops. 

If there were say a few local services in Chester, a few in Gateshead, and the odd connection to Washington? Probably a completely different story.

That being said, it doesn't cater for drivers not knowing the product, and it's a disgrace that this is still being mentioned on here. It must have been at least a year ago since Dan first complained to Arriva. If you're not going to look after your customers, then another operator will be more than willing to.