North East Buses
Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arriva North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1031)

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Jimmi - 24 Sep 2014

....so why were the 31/31A axed?

I'm assuming the resources were pumped into extra 23/24s, but it suggests to me that they weren't doing something right with those services!
I think it was maybe to pump more of there resources into the 22/23/24 and reduce the PVR of the 21/31 & 21A/31A PVR from 4 each down to 3 each so saving two buses and I think the two buses saved from those services went onto the 22 as it used to take less than an hour to get from Durham to Hartlepool.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - cbma06 - 24 Sep 2014

(24 Sep 2014, 3:43 pm)Jimmi If you made the 23 any longer than it currently is you'd need to add an extra bus to the PVR.
Also I'm slightly confused would there still be 2 buses an hour from Durham to Hartlepool via Peterlee because when I've seen the 22 heading to Hartlepool has a very good amount of passengers on board.

Since passengers have been campaigning to get a direct service back to Sunderland from Thornley and Wheatley Hill, I wonder how long it will take for passengers from Haswell,Ludworth and Sherburn to start campaigning for a direct service to Sunderland back since their service 24 will be going to Hartlepool instead. Big Grin
I thought that, but I think most people from these areas only travel between Durham and Peterlee.

service 22 (new 24) will be still every 30 minutes Hartelpool to Durham.

service 24 (new 22) will terminate at peterlee bus station with one of them be forward travel to Sunderland as an X21, providing 30 minute X21 frequency.

while the other 24 (new 22) terminate at peterlee, which would save at least 1 bus which could go onto service 23 if need be if times are tight.

Arriva bus changes! - cbma06 - 24 Sep 2014

I think the 31/31A was axed to Sunderland because Arriva introduced service 24 between Peterlee and Sunderland as a replacement

Before the 31/31A was withdrawn either the 23 or 24? Used to go straight down the A19 on Sunderland bound journeys to Dalton Park.

Arriva bus changes! - cbma06 - 24 Sep 2014

(24 Sep 2014, 4:01 pm)Jimmi Before the 31/31A was withdrawn either the 23 or 24? Used to go straight down the A19 on Sunderland bound journeys to Dalton Park.

That was service 23 did that between Easington village and dalton park, it ended because of the volume of traffic on a19 at the time. Service 24 started when 31/31a was withdrawn

That was service 23 did that between Easington village and dalton park, it ended because of the volume of traffic on a19 at the time. Service 24 started when 31/31a was withdrawn
I thought there was a 24A or 24B that went to Sunderland but I may be wrong.
So Arriva stopped sending a bus down the A19 because of traffic and now they are sending another bus down the A19.
Hoping Solos won't be going down the A19 as they sound awful when I've had them on the X24 & X66.

unless am getting confussed then it was the following:

service 24A was Durham-Peterlee-Easington via Oakerside Drive and round circle between Peterlee-Easington-Peterlee then back to Durham. only went to Easington due to the withdrawl of service 240 at the time and passengers complained to the MP for Easington.

service 24B solo bus was Durham-Peterlee via Passfield Way.

cant remember what service 24, I think it might of been Durham to Hartlepool via Peterlee.

the numbers changed that much down here :s

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Adrian - 24 Sep 2014

(24 Sep 2014, 3:18 pm)Dan But the whole point I'm making here is that the current level of passenger numbers is not sufficient to justify an express service from Sunderland to Peterlee - it's clear that Arriva are wanting to take patronage from Go North East by offering a very similar service, and boils down to competition between the two companies not being to benefit to customers, and rather to get back at the other operator for introducing a competing route elsewhere in the region.

Monitoring the loadings in and out of Sunderland is the only way to determine what the passenger numbers will be like on the X21, as in reality, the only thing that should happen is that further passenger numbers are taken from services 23/24, to boost loadings on the X21...

Wasn't this Mrs Thatcher's Government's dream when it came to deregulating the bus market? Smile

Perhaps it's a bit early to see it's of no benefit to customers. I haven't seen any fare information yet. It could be 50p cheaper than GNE, between Peterlee and Sunderland for all we know? If that was the case, then that is certainly a benefit to customers.

I'm a huge fan of competition. In my opinion, if nothing else, it gives the dominant operator a big kick up the arse to become even more innovative - and that's not a criticism to current levels of innovation.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Kuyoyo - 24 Sep 2014

(24 Sep 2014, 4:25 pm)cbma06 unless am getting confussed then it was the following:

service 24A was Durham-Peterlee-Easington via Oakerside Drive and round circle between Peterlee-Easington-Peterlee then back to Durham. only went to Easington due to the withdrawl of service 240 at the time and passengers complained to the MP for Easington.

service 24B solo bus was Durham-Peterlee via Passfield Way.

cant remember what service 24, I think it might of been Durham to Hartlepool via Peterlee.

the numbers changed that much down here :s

The network upto October 2012 was as followed:

21/31 Darlington - Peterlee - Sunderland
21a/31a Middlesbrough - Peterlee - Sunderland

22 Durham - Wingate - Hartlepool
23 Sunderland - Peterlee - Hartlepool

24 Durham - Peterlee - Sunderland
24a/b Durham - Peterlee - Sunderland

Peterlee - Hartlepool was every 20 minutes back then (and the 22/23 interworked in Hartlepool - so it went 22 to Hartlepool 23 to Sunderland and Back then back to Durham as a 22) while the Peterlee - Sunderland corridor was 4 buses an hour - sadly however they ran in a bunch of 2 ie the 31a followed the 23 and the 31 followed the 24. The network was then recast to change that with the 23/24 increased to every 30 minutes each replacing the 31/31a.

On VOSA:

PB0002717/219 - ARRIVA DURHAM COUNTY LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP

Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Darlington and Peterlee given service number 21 effective from 26-Oct-2014. To amend Timetable.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Michael - 25 Sep 2014

PB0002032/336 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Newcastle and Morpeth given service number 44 effective from 28-Sep-2014. To amend Route and Stopping Places.

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Jimmi - 30 Sep 2014

VOSA:

PB0002032/478 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Carlisle and Haltwhistle given service number 185 effective from 15-Sep-2014. To amend Route.

PB0002032/489 - ARRIVA NORTHUMBRIA LTD, 1 ADMIRAL WAY, DOXFORD INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS PARK, SUNDERLAND, SR3 3XP
Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: North Shields
Finish Point: Byker
Via:
Service Number: 900
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 05-OCT-2014
Other Details: Metro Replacement

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Michael - 01 Oct 2014

(23 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm)Jimmi New Durham bus timetables on Durham pinder.
http://durham.pindarcreative.co.uk/announcements.asp

Still no new 22 timetable... 

Arriva bus changes! - cbma06 - 01 Oct 2014

(01 Oct 2014, 4:26 pm)Michael Still no new 22 timetable... 

I think their still working the timetable out with DCC for the secured journeys

RE: Arriva bus changes! - Jimmi - 01 Oct 2014

Still no new 22 timetable...
Still no 61 timetable either.

Arriva bus changes! - cbma06 - 01 Oct 2014

(01 Oct 2014, 4:26 pm)Michael Still no new 22 timetable... 

Since the 24 runs evenings etc... And service 22 doesn't , the new 24 will goto Hartlepool instead of Sunderland, looks like by the new 24 timetable their are evening journeys from Durham which terminates at Peterlee so maybe these journeys will turn into a 22 Peterlee to Sunderland or another number like 24A etc. scarlet band secured service number 22 will be changing aswell between Peterlee and Hartlepool, would like the short scarlet band 22 as a 58a as it's a through service with number 22.

SERVICE UPDATE: 13a/13b - From Monday 6 October for 5 days, Hewitson Road South will be closed for roadworks Services 13A and 13B should operate via Firthmoor Crescent and Estoril Road South during this closure

Since the 24 runs evenings etc... And service 22 doesn't , the new 24 will goto Hartlepool instead of Sunderland, looks like by the new 24 timetable their are evening journeys from Durham which terminates at Peterlee so maybe these journeys will turn into a 22 Peterlee to Sunderland or another number like 24A etc. scarlet band secured service number 22 will be changing aswell between Peterlee and Hartlepool, would like the short scarlet band 22 as a 58a as it's a through service with number 22.

Looking on Traveline the 24 appears to be Durham - Peterlee only on evenings and the 22 is Peterlee - Sunderland only.