North East Buses
Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Stagecoach North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+--- Thread: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1032)

Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - pbjd - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 4:10 am)Dan Or banking on passengers not wanting to be diverted via Freeman Hospital on the 38, a very slow and circuitous route into town compared to the current 55?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the Freeman the 38 goes along the Coast Road into Newcastle not sure what’s slow about that, understandable to call it slow if they were extending the 1 maybe but not the 38.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Storx - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 4:10 am)Dan Or banking on passengers not wanting to be diverted via Freeman Hospital on the 38, a very slow and circuitous route into town compared to the current 55?

Surely most people wanting a quick route would be using Palmersville / Benton / Longbenton Metro stations. I can't imagine many people picking you mainly because of the cost side not to mention they've got the 62/63 (whichever one it is) aswell. I haven't checked real timings but wouldn't be surprised if the 62/63 are quicker aswell since Matthew Bank is a car park at rush hour as an understatement. 

The fact it's dropped from Every 15 minutes to every 30 minutes in the past 5 years isn't a sign of a very healthy bus route.

Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Dan - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 4:13 am)pbjd From the Freeman the 38 goes along the Coast Road into Newcastle not sure what’s slow about that, understandable to call it slow if they were extending the 1 maybe but not the 38.

Have you ever had the misfortune of sitting in the traffic congestion at the Freeman Hospital at peak times?

It’s horrendously slow.

(24 Jul 2023, 2:24 pm)Dan Have you ever had the misfortune of sitting in the traffic congestion at the Freeman Hospital at peak times?

It’s horrendously slow.

Yes, I drive the 6/7, but the 355 will be no better going via Blue House I’d imagine, the X63 gets an extra bus put in for a reason.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - ASX_Terranova - 24 Jul 2023

Given the current 38 is every 10 mins, will it be 2x37, 2x38 & 2x38A per hour or will it get a uplift to 7/8 mins combined?
Also what will the expected PVR of this service be?

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Busu284 - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 2:57 pm)ASX_Terranova Given the current 38 is every 10 mins, will it be 2x37, 2x38 & 2x38A per hour or will it get a uplift to 7/8 mins combined?

38A is just a morning journey that's about it

(24 Jul 2023, 2:57 pm)ASX_Terranova Given the current 38 is every 10 mins, will it be 2x37, 2x38 & 2x38A per hour or will it get a uplift to 7/8 mins combined?

2 37s and 4 38s an hour with 2 38s only going to Freeman as now, 38A is just the early morning trips that come from Cowgate/Chapel House.

(24 Jul 2023, 2:59 pm)pbjd 2 37s and 4 38s an hour with 2 38s only going to Freeman as now, 38A is just the early morning trips that come from Cowgate/Chapel House.

I must say I don't really get the numbering, surely a 38 (Freeman), 38A (Forest Hall), 38B (Cramlington) would've been less confusing. I would've said 36/37/38 but there's already a 36.

Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Dan - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 3:57 pm)Storx I must say I don't really get the numbering, surely a 38 (Freeman), 38A (Forest Hall), 38B (Cramlington) would've been less confusing. I would've said 36/37/38 but there's already a 36.

I agree!

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - V514DFT - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 3:57 pm)Storx I must say I don't really get the numbering, surely a 38 (Freeman), 38A (Forest Hall), 38B (Cramlington) would've been less confusing. I would've said 36/37/38 but there's already a 36.

If i were the boss (which im not) this is what i'd do
Current 36- numbered to 32 (since it interworks with the 30/31)
Current 32/32A- numbered to 33/33A
Allowing for your 36/37/38

(24 Jul 2023, 4:26 pm)V514DFT If i were the boss (which im not) this is what i'd do
Current 36- numbered to 32 (since it interworks with the 30/31)
Current 32/32A- numbered to 33/33A
Allowing for your 36/37/38

Not sure they'd be allowed to renumber the 32/32A as it's a Nexus contract. 

Btw if I was going to renumber the 36, I'd probably go for the 13. It's a similarish route to the 12 and serves similar areas ie. Fenham but then you'd have to problem with the 36 existing and going to a different place, the 30/31 both serve Whickham View. Potential for all sorts of confusion there.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - ASX_Terranova - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 6:29 pm)Storx Not sure they'd be allowed to renumber the 32/32A as it's a Nexus contract. 

Btw if I was going to renumber the 36, I'd probably go for the 13. It's a similarish route to the 12 and serves similar areas ie. Fenham but then you'd have to problem with the 36 existing and going to a different place, the 30/31 both serve Whickham View. Potential for all sorts of confusion there.

Would there be an argumemt for renumbering the 38 to 15/16/17 as you would already have the 18 in that area.

(24 Jul 2023, 6:46 pm)ASX_Terranova Would there be an argumemt for renumbering the 38 to 15/16/17 as you would already have the 18 in that area.

Possibly, but then you'd lose the grouping along West Road (38/39/40). There's so many numbers that kinda would make sense but there's only two numbers available awkwardardly:

The 7/8/9 is another combo which could work as it's already combined with the 10 and 11 and advertise the 5 minute service along West Road or alternatively 12/13/14 but either the 7 or 12 would need renumbering.

The 7 could easily be renumbered 6A though tbh, it's just a variant so kind of would make sense anyway.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - L469 YVK - 24 Jul 2023

Just a thought.......but could the half-hourly 38 currently set to terminate at the Freeman not have a commercial battle against the 351?

From Freeman Hospital........South Gosforth Roundabout - Benton Park Road - Whitley Road - East Benton Rise Loop - Benton ASDA - Holystone - Holystone Park

Still a fairly direct (and more frequent) route in comparison to the 351 and hopefully the road conditions will improve once HMRC move longer term. Maybe an option once that eventually happens.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - stagecoachbusdepot - 24 Jul 2023

Yep, different destinations for a single number is nonsense and just a barrier to passenger confidence - though it's arguably no worse than the basketcase of GNEs 39s where some run to Doxford only and others extend to Washington but then throw the 39A and 39B into the mix as well.  I really don't get why the operators do it - there's oodles of unused numbers for them to play with and plenty of similar ish routes have completely unrelated numbers already so its not like it would've been the end of the world for Stagecoach to have gone for e.g. 27 & 28 for the Forest Hall and Cramlington runs

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - mb134 - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 7:55 pm)L469 YVK Just a thought.......but could the half-hourly 38  currently set to terminate at the Freeman not have a commercial battle against the 351?

From Freeman Hospital........South Gosforth Roundabout - Benton Park Road - Whitley Road - East Benton Rise Loop - Benton ASDA - Holystone - Holystone Park

Still a fairly direct (and more frequent) route in comparison to the 351 and hopefully the road conditions will improve once HMRC move longer term. Maybe an option once that eventually happens.

I think you could run a horse and cart and come out on top in a commercial battle against any variation of the 51...

(24 Jul 2023, 9:21 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Yep, different destinations for a single number is nonsense and just a barrier to passenger confidence - though it's arguably no worse than the basketcase of GNEs 39s where some run to Doxford only and others extend to Washington but then throw the 39A and 39B into the mix as well.  I really don't get why the operators do it - there's oodles of unused numbers for them to play with and plenty of similar ish routes have completely unrelated numbers already so its not like it would've been the end of the world for Stagecoach to have gone for e.g. 27 & 28 for the Forest Hall and Cramlington runs

Aye totally agreed it's one of my pet hates. The GNE X1 was by far the worst when it had some going to Peterlee and some to Dalton Park which were two completely different routes. 

This one isn't far behind as it's as if they realised it would be confusing have two 38'd but then thought buggar it and done it aswell with some random 38A's added to the mix which ironically is a short extension.

Mind least we've finally scrapped A's and C's for loops they were really confusing. The 51/52/93/94 is a bit of a farce now though mind. Loop services apart from they aren't as they're severed at Gateshead and it's not clear either.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Thomas12 - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 7:55 pm)L469 YVK Just a thought.......but could the half-hourly 38  currently set to terminate at the Freeman not have a commercial battle against the 351?

Stagecoach already tried extending the 1 to Cobalt via Benton and Holystone and that didn't last long, so I doubt it.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - L469 YVK - 24 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 9:49 pm)Thomas12 Stagecoach already tried extending the 1 to Cobalt via Benton and Holystone and that didn't last long, so I doubt it.

Difference being that the 1 didn't serve East Benton Rise or Holystone Park. Plus the 51/51A were half hourly via Holystone and the 1 doesn't exactly do the most direct route into Newcastle.

In the future, an extended 38 would likely work out well.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Thomas12 - 25 Jul 2023

(24 Jul 2023, 11:22 pm)L469 YVK Difference being that the 1 didn't serve East Benton Rise or Holystone Park. Plus the 51/51A were half hourly via Holystone and the 1 doesn't exactly do the most direct route into Newcastle.

In the future, an extended 38 would likely work out well.

The 51 clearly doesn't work that well considering it is being subsidised, and the 51A was scrapped. 

Why would an extended 38 work out well?