North East Buses
Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Printable Version

+- North East Buses (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums)
+-- Forum: Local Bus Scene (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Stagecoach North East (https://northeastbuses.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+--- Thread: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes (/showthread.php?tid=1032)

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Michael - 13 Feb 2024

(13 Feb 2024, 8:10 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Would there be much demand then?  What time do flights start?

Departures start around 6am

First arrival tomorrow is at 00:25am then no more until 7:55am.

I mean it could change daily.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - RMF1254 - 14 Feb 2024

6:00am flights means a 4:00 am check in so you need to get there well before your flight. As has been mentioned of course there’s the problem of getting to the city centre to catch the early bus. I would like to think some research has been done.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - stagecoachfan - 14 Feb 2024

(14 Feb 2024, 11:54 am)RMF1254 6:00am flights means a 4:00 am check in so you need to get there well before your flight. As has been mentioned of course there’s the problem of getting to the city centre to catch the early bus. I would like to think some research has been done.

Plus of course the check-in staff need to be there before the passengers.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Andreos1 - 14 Feb 2024

(14 Feb 2024, 11:54 am)RMF1254 6:00am flights means a 4:00 am check in so you need to get there well before your flight. As has been mentioned of course there’s the problem of getting to the city centre to catch the early bus. I would like to think some research has been done.

Absolutely no chance of me getting to Newgate Street on public transport, to jump on the bus at that time of the morning. 
Not because I don't want to, but because it's impossible - unless I book a hotel.

The last time I was at the airport for an early morning flight, I stopped at a hotel at the airport.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Rob44 - 14 Feb 2024

(14 Feb 2024, 1:59 pm)Andreos1 Absolutely no chance of me getting to Newgate Street on public transport, to jump on the bus at that time of the morning. 
Not because I don't want to, but because it's impossible - unless I book a hotel.

The last time I was at the airport for an early morning flight, I stopped at a hotel at the airport.

depends on day of week but a premier in rooms Sunday - Thursday about 29 quid a night.  One on negate street. Straight on bus humping your luggage on the bus.  Much easier than getting a taxi!

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Storx - 14 Feb 2024

(14 Feb 2024, 1:59 pm)Andreos1 Absolutely no chance of me getting to Newgate Street on public transport, to jump on the bus at that time of the morning. 

The other thing people miss is going on holiday for most is a one time a year trip. Sometimes the taxi is just worth it, unless the bus literally left outside my front door, I couldn't be arsed to lug numerous cases, hope the thing actually turns up and then no doubt go on a magical tour around the world (if it left from here).

If it is literally doing this, I'd much rather see the money running night buses duplicating the Metro network with maybe some small variations in stopping points to serve points of interest ie. Gosforth, Felling or stops between Walkergate and Wallsend etc.

The Airport would naturally be served anyway since it's on the Green Line. I know it happens in London with routes like the N20 which only exist at night and duplicates the Northern Line as I used it once and was surprised how busy it was and frequent aswell. Very bizarre being on full double deckers at 3am at the morning.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - deanmachine - 14 Feb 2024

(14 Feb 2024, 2:37 pm)Storx The other thing people miss is going on holiday for most is a one time a year trip. Sometimes the taxi is just worth it, unless the bus literally left outside my front door, I couldn't be arsed to lug numerous cases, hope the thing actually turns up and then no doubt go on a magical tour around the world (if it left from here).

If it is literally doing this, I'd much rather see the money running night buses duplicating the Metro network with maybe some small variations in stopping points to serve points of interest ie. Gosforth, Felling or stops between Walkergate and Wallsend etc.

The Airport would naturally be served anyway since it's on the Green Line. I know it happens in London with routes like the N20 which only exist at night and duplicates the Northern Line as I used it once and was surprised how busy it was and frequent aswell. Very bizarre being on full double deckers at 3am at the morning.

100% with you that a night bus on the metro network would be a much better thing to do, don't think Nexus would have the money to do that right now though.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - ASX_Terranova - 14 Feb 2024

(14 Feb 2024, 3:18 pm)deanmachine 100% with you that a night bus on the metro network would be a much better thing to do, don't think Nexus would have the money to do that right now though.

Would 24hr shuttles from non metro areas work aswell maybe from Stanley, Washington etc....

(14 Feb 2024, 3:27 pm)ASX_Terranova Would 24hr shuttles from non metro areas work aswell maybe from Stanley, Washington etc....

Maybe, maybe not. Depends where really. It gets more complicated as it's rural in parts and there's nothing going the other way.

Like personally, I'd argue the 54(354) would be the best route to run, as dead as it during the day, bar from West Moor to Northumberland Park go on the 353 route instead and additionally serve Osbourne Road.

You'd have a route which would do

Newcastle - Jesmond - Gosforth - Longbenton - Quorum - Benton - Palmersville - Northumberland Park - Cobalt - Shiremoor - Rake Lane Hospital - Whitley Bay, quite a few destinations where night staff might be serving both business parks and numerous housing areas. During the day it would be bonkers route but take the Metro away and things change. For the rest of it just run the 1 from Newcastle to Whitley Bay, it duplicates it anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.9743562,-1.6172452/55.0442368,-1.4474218/@55.012628,-1.5912334,12.54z/data=!4m49!4m48!1m45!3m4!1m2!1d-1.60574!2d54.9874997!3s0x487e70da6996a471:0x3ae3f1d48627d54b!3m4!1m2!1d-1.6202091!2d55.0034377!3s0x487e712d181673c9:0x79a542a8200ea7cd!3m4!1m2!1d-1.5875407!2d55.0117357!3s0x487e7113fc846c79:0x26c10f9e07cbca54!3m4!1m2!1d-1.5676611!2d55.0217145!3s0x487e719e01f0b5bd:0xee0dcd742a12f4d7!3m4!1m2!1d-1.5300373!2d55.0253707!3s0x487e71ef04ccb129:0x90e5bac33208600a!3m4!1m2!1d-1.5070761!2d55.0388947!3s0x487e6e074a95cc43:0xfc4990356ec2affa!3m4!1m2!1d-1.507041!2d55.0216145!3s0x487e6e1ecee88399:0xf14be1afac3cc520!3m4!1m2!1d-1.486876!2d55.0249475!3s0x487e6e1348594ac9:0x5787b7f8476b9cae!3m4!1m2!1d-1.4519194!2d55.0386934!3s0x487e6e822f8442d7:0x551c9ac2f1d867da!1m0!3e0?entry=ttu - Google maps of it for those who can't picture it.

For Washington though, the X1 might have a chance if it took a detour serving Washington and was all stop between Newcastle and Wrekenton, maybe could join onto the 2 and do Chester Road in Sunderland aswell instead of heading Houghton way.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - mb134 - 14 Feb 2024

I find it mental that the Metro doesn't serve the airport until well after you'd need to be there for first flights. First train from Regent Centre is at 05:18, and anywhere south of that on the line is around 6am.

As an example, the first flights tomorrow are:
0600 Lanzarote
0600 Amsterdam
0605 Paris

From experience, the 0600 Amsterdam tends to be a very busy 737. The Lanzarote is also a 737, so these are hardly flights with a lack of passengers.

For context, in 2022 Newcastle Airport served 4.1 million passengers while Aberdeen Airport served 1.96 million. The latter has a well used bus service which would get you there at 3:27am and 4:32am for first flights at 6am, the former literally has a light rail system attached to it yet nothing running there until around 5:30am.

(14 Feb 2024, 8:45 pm)mb134 I find it mental that the Metro doesn't serve the airport until well after you'd need to be there for first flights. First train from Regent Centre is at 05:18, and anywhere south of that on the line is around 6am.

As an example, the first flights tomorrow are:
0600 Lanzarote
0600 Amsterdam
0605 Paris

From experience, the 0600 Amsterdam tends to be a very busy 737. The Lanzarote is also a 737, so these are hardly flights with a lack of passengers.

For context, in 2022 Newcastle Airport served 4.1 million passengers while Aberdeen Airport served 1.96 million. The latter has a well used bus service which would get you there at 3:27am and 4:32am for first flights at 6am, the former literally has a light rail system attached to it yet nothing running there until around 5:30am.

For engineering I'd guess, even known it's not ideal. Not many trains run anywhere in the country at that time, even in London bar the Elizabeth line. Have to do the work sometime.

Believe it was the Hidden London Hangouts (Youtube) where they go into the hidden parts of the underground, they sometimes show the engineering work which goes on overnight, where most people think the gates are just shut and that's it, assume it's the same up here.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - DeltaMan - 14 Feb 2024

(13 Feb 2024, 8:29 pm)Storx Good idea on paper but there's a BIG flaw. No-one can get to Newcastle... and no-one lives there either...?

If you need to taxi to Newcastle, then why bother and there's no trains up here either.

What is the early trips are going to be used by workers on the route to the Airport and later trips can be used towards Newcastle to connect on to early Metros and other first Buses?

Depending on the route, it could be a very handy service actually. Opens the possibility of being able to catch the very early trains from Central Station, assuming it stops within walking distance.

(14 Feb 2024, 10:19 pm)DeltaMan What is the early trips are going to be used by workers on the route to the Airport and later trips can be used towards Newcastle to connect on to early Metros and other first Buses?

Depending on the route, it could be a very handy service actually. Opens the possibility of being able to catch the very early trains from Central Station, assuming it stops within walking distance.

Yeah some fair point, but that depends on the route really. It's a funny location the airport as it kind of avoids most of the main drags where buses should probably exist, West Road - in particular. Suppose it could skirt through Fenham without too much difficulty.

Personally I'd love to see more night buses even if it was focused on Newcastle at first, which will annoy some.

The 30, 39, 40 and 62 would be a good start imo North of the Tyne. The fact some of them can still run every 15 minutes until 11pm when they outright die would suggest there's some demand there.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - stagecoachbusdepot - 15 Feb 2024

(14 Feb 2024, 10:19 pm)DeltaMan What is the early trips are going to be used by workers on the route to the Airport and later trips can be used towards Newcastle to connect on to early Metros and other first Buses?

Given they seemingly couldn't turn enough of a profit to make the Newcastle night buses sustainable where they linked the night-time economy with various residential, heavily bussed in daytime, areas I can't see how a route to the airport in the early hours for the minority who can afford to fly but not get a taxi is going to be any more sustainable.  Likewise airport staff again presumably already have alternative arrangements - yes there may be a minorty who live on the route or are able to teleport to Newgate St to catch the only bus operating in the city but I'd guess its more of a car sized than bus sized demand.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - deanmachine - 15 Feb 2024

(15 Feb 2024, 1:10 am)stagecoachbusdepot Given they seemingly couldn't turn enough of a profit to make the Newcastle night buses sustainable where they linked the night-time economy with various residential, heavily bussed in daytime, areas I can't see how a route to the airport in the early hours for the minority who can afford to fly but not get a taxi is going to be any more sustainable.  Likewise airport staff again presumably already have alternative arrangements - yes there may be a minorty who live on the route or are able to teleport to Newgate St to catch the only bus operating in the city but I'd guess its more of a car sized than bus sized demand.

Honestly I still don't think night buses have been properly tried yet here. They're pretty slow burners as it's not something very transparent as few people see them running. I do the late 56s and I still get people shocked when I tell them that I'm finishing at 3am, despite doing them since they were reintroduced nearly 3 years ago. Yeah it's probably not enough to take a risk from a commercial perspective but that doesn't mean that it isn't something that should be tried, start off with connecting the metro network during the night and go from there imo. With the amount of taxis (well mostly Ubers) I have to wade through every night in Newcastle, there is surely a demand there to support a couple of buses.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Storx - 15 Feb 2024

(15 Feb 2024, 3:28 am)deanmachine Honestly I still don't think night buses have been properly tried yet here. They're pretty slow burners as it's not something very transparent as few people see them running. I do the late 56s and I still get people shocked when I tell them that I'm finishing at 3am, despite doing them since they were reintroduced nearly 3 years ago. Yeah it's probably not enough to take a risk from a commercial perspective but that doesn't mean that it isn't something that should be tried, start off with connecting the metro network during the night and go from there imo. With the amount of taxis (well mostly Ubers) I have to wade through every night in Newcastle, there is surely a demand there to support a couple of buses.

Totally agreed, not to mention the 39/40 and 62/63 run every 15 minutes until 11pm or so then just stop dead. I don't believe for a second that there's a hidden time where people just suddenly think oh, 11pm - I will now not use the bus.

They need to be marketed properly though and arguably not be the same corridors as day buses in some areas, mainly where the Metro is as during the day it wouldn't make sense running a bus doing the yellow line North of Newcastle but at nights things change fast.

Will be they heaving, probably not, but if you want people dropping cars and you have night shifts as part of your job, you won't be using public transport at all until there's an option for all shifts.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Aaron21 - 15 Feb 2024

35 will be rerouted via Osborne Road in March nexus have confirmed

https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/nexus-launch-new-and-improved-bus-routes-north-and-east-newcastle

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - stagecoachbusdepot - 15 Feb 2024

(15 Feb 2024, 3:28 am)deanmachine Honestly I still don't think night buses have been properly tried yet here. They're pretty slow burners as it's not something very transparent as few people see them running. I do the late 56s and I still get people shocked when I tell them that I'm finishing at 3am, despite doing them since they were reintroduced nearly 3 years ago. Yeah it's probably not enough to take a risk from a commercial perspective but that doesn't mean that it isn't something that should be tried, start off with connecting the metro network during the night and go from there imo. With the amount of taxis (well mostly Ubers) I have to wade through every night in Newcastle, there is surely a demand there to support a couple of buses.

Totally agree with this, just don't think a route to the airport (which is not frequent or particularly busy even during the day) is the best way to try.  Especially in isolation.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - V514DFT - 15 Feb 2024

Didnt GNE have an N58 at one point?

RE: Stagecoach North East: Upcoming Service Changes - Thomas12 - 15 Feb 2024

(15 Feb 2024, 6:22 pm)V514DFT Didnt GNE have an N58 at one point?

Yeah, I think it operated to Whitley Bay.